Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: computer advice please

computer advice please

Hi Gents,

Me grovelling for information again.

I have just given notice to 3 that I wish to cancel my dongle service for my laptop as I am off to Cambodia and Laos.

After keeping me on the phone for 15 minutes and my remaining very polite, as I wanted his assistance, I got absolutely nowhere with the Indian call centre, whose only aim ws to prevent me from leaving them.

I said , ' Look, your service does not work in the Far East ' but that, to him, was a side issue and he was more interested on when I returned to continue service with 3 mobile. So guys, I have tried to help myself! This is the third time.

Can I buy a dongle in Laos or Cambodia to use my laptop, a question I was not able to get an answer to. Many of you guys pass through Asia with laptops, so there must be a way. I have never had this before as I always had desktops in Thailand and used internet shops when travelling!

Liked

Re: computer advice please

By "dongle" I assume you mean a USB device that uses a SIM card. All you need do is find out the GSM band that the country uses. For example mine is a Huawei E160 and the specs state the HSDPA, GSM and 3G bands it supports. You may not need a new dongle if yours is "unlocked", simply a local SIM card. If you find a shop that "unlocks" phones they'll be able to unlock your curent dongle if it's locked (it may not be).

I have always just used the wifi connectivity of my laptop when I travel. The problem with this of course is finding a wifi provider. I generally try to choose hotels that provide it free or at a modest cost. Since I don't want or need to be online outside off my hotel it usually serves my purposes quite well. For access on the go I find my smart phone generally suffices.

Gents,

Thank you both. common sense in two posts. I even tried asking some of the guys on GR who said, ' What's a dongle, don't understand, go and stay in good hotel with Wi Fi! '

THEY ARE SO HELPFUL!

Liked

I only stay in places where they have wlan or wifi. Mostly it is free. In Pattaya many times had luck to login in unsecured nets for free and was surfing in the internet. Some hotels never change their codes....
    Sunee Plaza > There is no better place to stay

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kquill

Can I buy a dongle in Laos or Cambodia to use my laptop, a question I was not able to get an answer to.
    Yes, of course you can. In Cambodia use Cellcard and in Laos use Unitel. Both quite economic and work well in the main cities.
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Quote Originally Posted by Sen Yai
    Quote Originally Posted by kquill

Can I buy a dongle in Laos or Cambodia to use my laptop, a question I was not able to get an answer to.
    Yes, of course you can. In Cambodia use Cellcard and in Laos use Unitel. Both quite economic and work well in the main cities.

Thank you very much!

Liked

If you take your USB to Lao tel Office they will sell you SIM card and enough coverage for a month for $12. but in Vientiane free WIFI many places including JOMA cafe

Liked

I'll send this service rep over to help you Mr. Quill:

[attachment=0:3i7gjzy6]tumblr_lbp2gyQ9pc1qcqbdbo1_500.gif[/attachment:3i7gjzy6]

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dyed
    I'll send this service rep over to help you Mr. Quill:

[attachment=0:1l2nnoa1]tumblr_lbp2gyQ9pc1qcqbdbo1_500.gif[/attachment:1l2nnoa1]

Wish you would, I'd be forever in your debt!! hehehe!