Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reviving Boyztown. What does it take

Liked

Reviving Boyztown. What does it take

The thread is boyztown dying or whatever has become a pissing contest for 5 posters, and those who want to continue to watch that childish nonsense, can continue on that thread.
    I know several straight boys who are going at the end of April and their reports from str8 forums, things are alive and well in pattaya.

The big disappointment to me is the way that Cafe Royale has gone downhill since the two Ians and Robbie passed away. Can they get their act together and bring some momentum back. Is their restaurant and show bar working?

I often hear that Copa second show is almost empty. About 2 years ago they tried earlier shows, 930,10,30. I am not sure if the performers are paid per show or by the month, but maybe some lateral thinking to how things are done could bring results.

There seems to be a very strong sentiment against Madam Jim and supporting show members. Most comments have been old and tired, and that does include the go go boys.

There has been a lot of knocking . can we get some posiive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeBreak
    Quote Originally Posted by Marigar
    Boys Town will never change. They dont want to change.
    They think the public come to Thailand to see a lot of lady boys lype singing old sixties numbers.
    Then once in a while the owners put a frock on and think there the new Dame Edna Everage. Having there friends on the front row, the white sock parade
    saying how wonderful they are.

PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, LOWER YOUR PRICES AND STOP PUTTING FROCKS ON. :snorting: :snorting: :snorting:

Put a all new mens like chipendale show on(With a mixture of men and Boys). With upto date numbers and something more than all lady boys prancing around in knee length boots thinking that the gay trade gets turned on by some sickos dream. You dont need cock shows, leave something to the imagination.
    There are so many new ideas out there if you know where to look.
    Offer something new and you might get old and new customers back. :alc:
    -I agree with Marigar.

Most gay customers go to the boy bars to see sexy males and not to see Katoeys or to see males who are more like women than men.
    In my opinion nothing wrong with a fem boy but everything wrong with a Dame Edna Everage!
    Quote Originally Posted by justme
    Personally, I dont like Katoy shows either, but the idea that there are 6 boys around here, that are " like Chippendales" wont fly. Especially in low season.
    It is a wonderful idea and certainly something to hope for, but the reality is, walk around and tell me where a few of them are? Even if we imported them from Bangkok, the reality (again) is that they will not stay more than a few days or week because we cant pay them enough in comparison to what they earn in Bankok. I go to BKK this week I will look around for some boys like this to come down for alternate weekends or something similar and an :alc: nnounce special shows here on Sawatdee.
    Again, great idea.

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Re: Reviving Boyztown. What does it take

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    I know several straight boys who are going at the end of April and their reports from str8 forums, things are alive and well in pattaya.

The big disappointment to me is the way that Cafe Royale has gone downhill since the two Ians and Robbie passed away. Can they get their act together and bring some momentum back. Is their restaurant and show bar working?
    As I just said in another thread, Cafe Royale blew it when they renovated, spent a fortune and then brought back the same exact shows that they have had for years! That was the time to change everything. Not sure they can get it together change the acts and bring back people to see again that they have put on a new face. Not sure the management wants to listen. After all the night manager that they hired recently is one of the old dragsters and she will never change nor bring change to Cafe Royale. She can't even change anything but the front sign in front of her bar! She doesnt even fix the step in front of her bar so that people wont fall. Surrounds you with 15 fat ladyboys of ladyboys. Not a handsome MAN amongst them. My opinion. :dontknow:

Liked

You ask for positive comments, great it is a fair way forward.... but not so sure about your own comments! "Pattaya Alive and Well?" Actually, this is true in terms of Russian visitor numbers- but all hotels are suffering with low occupancy if you look at the Industry.
    Fewer people, less $ largely, but the bars that are innovative and serve the customer well will survive. For me Happy Place agreat positive example

Liked

Most people, even in its 'heyday' probably had two or three favourite bars in Boyztown and ventured into the others only very ocassionally. In December there was Happy Place. X-Boys and Toy Boys that I went into regularly and can't remember going to any of the others. Those three were as good as any of the others have been in the past being full of fun, nice boys and pleasant management.

Liked

Years ago when I used to have early evening drinks , in Serene, My lLfe or Panorama the thai food carts used to set up shop where Madam Jim parkes her truck and the rest of the space packed with bikes.

I appreciate that Ambience,Cafe Royale and even Street life would not be happy if they were to return, but watching the bar boys eating from these stalls was always an eye candy moment, and at times I have had a snack from them as well. Later in the evening I would usually buy an off a snack from these stalls and he either ate there or with me in My Way or Serene. I think Panorama did not allow.

But the street is empty and folorn. Maybe the activity and the availabliity of Thai snacks for beer bar patrons and their boys is a way to make things busier. These stands would not seriously be considered as competition for the 3 restaurants. Anything that brings and keeps more people in soi 3 has to be looked at.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Question: what does it take to revive boystown?

Answer: providing a level of entertainment which will persuade potential customers to want to go to the place on a regular basis. An example that might attract the customers is having a generous supply of very attractive good in bed boys who are unavailable anywhere else except in BT.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    But the street is empty and folorn. Maybe the activity and the availabliity of Thai snacks for beer bar patrons and their boys is a way to make things busier.
    Yeah, that would pretty much kill it for me. One of the things I love about Thailand is how much life there is on the streets -- everywhere. Where in Canada, it's somewhat like living in a mall. Just a bunch of consumers going from point A to point B.

Liked

to be frank I dont think cafe royal has a business plan and if they do they need to start something soon.

they did have the dinner shows and there is enough of the elderly drag shows in boystown. my suggestion is to open a boy cabaret , just dancing boys or boys that can mime a male singer, package it with a dinner show including wine to be something different. it is something that can be sold to straight tourists as well as gays

there are a lot of dance captains around that have worked at Copa, WWB, wonderland in sunee, venue, who could put together some class acts not necessary with huge expense for costumes, the accent on attractive boys that can dance. skimpy costumes but not nude, a little bit of see thru leaving just a little to the imagination.

keep david out of the show but he is multi talented, so use him.

Liked

My suggestions would be:
    Try to attrac the young crowd (yes it was also like that in good old days).
    No old dragqueen shows.
    Lower the prices.
    Gay dancing "disco".

Quote Originally Posted by gaymandenmark
    My suggestions would be:
    Try to attrac the young crowd (yes it was also like that in good old days).
    No old dragqueen shows.
    Lower the prices.
    Gay dancing "disco".

But, my Danish friend, you can get all that at home in Denmark (except the low prices!) - as can most tourists from Europe, Australia, USA, Canada etc

If the "grand revival plan" is to turn Boyztown into a mini Manchester gay village (UK), with thumping music drowning out any conversation and where if you are over 25 you may as well stay home, turn the lights off, put on a marigold rubber glove and have a wank - then I don't think it's gonna work. Young western tourists would rather go short-haul to other places which can offer all that you mention, more conveniently and more cheaply.

In my opinion, the main reason for the decline is the economic situation and the growing tendancy to search for better value for money .

Note: we are not concerned with retired ex-pats - they are here anyway and are going nowhere - we are concerned with (predominantly gay) tourists, not all of whom have HSBC Premier Accounts despite what others may think.

The problem in attracting gay tourists to Boyztown is:

1. They predominantly come for only 2 things - Booze & Boys and they want good VFM in both
    2. For "purchasing power", the exchange rate v the Baht is now very poor (exception- Australia)
    3. Many of the bars and the better restaurants are overpriced and the exchange rate makes this more obvious (200B for a drink is now almost ┬г5/$8 whereas it was half that a few years ago. Some places in BKK charging 300B/┬г7/$11 are just pricing themselves out of the market altogether and will have 1 busy night and 6 dead nights..
    4. The "Gay trade" is notoriously fickle anyway - what was "the best thing since sliced bread" 2 years ago will be a "waste of time" this year - and this is where I DO agree - the venues in Boyztown are essentially offering the same as they did 10 or more years ago.
    5. So that's the "booze" taken care of - that leaves the "boys" - there are less of them than before, there are far fewer "stunners" whatever your taste, they want to DO less now (all many want is a ST trick rather than "take care you" as it used to be) - and you can get better boys and better value via Gay Romeo than you can from most of the bars.

Well that's my tuppence worth as they say. I'm aware there's more negatives than positive suggestions but I really can't think what Boyztown can do - lowering prices won't attract anybody new but it may help to keep the repeat business. Better entertainment, ditto. :dontknow:

:occasion9: