Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Reward air miles with airlines

Reward air miles with airlines

Using your reward miles, don't think it is a totally free seat, only to be told, the seat is free but you have to pay the taxes - in the case of London Bkk London, the taxes are almost 50% of the actual ticket price in certain circumstances, with Thai anyway, the only way around this is upgrade to business class by using your miles where the upgrade for taxes is minimum, but nevertheless still has to be paid.

Thoughts on other airlines.

Re: Reward air miles with airlines

I'm a bit of a whore when it comes to flights.. I'll go with the best price so I'm all but a loyal customer.. that is why I never bother with reward programs..
    the only carrier I could do that with is Easyjet.. of course they don't have a reward program lol

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire
    Using your reward miles, don't think it is a totally free seat, only to be told, the seat is free but you have to pay the taxes - in the case of London Bkk London, the taxes are almost 50% of the actual ticket price in certain circumstances, with Thai anyway, the only way around this is upgrade to business class by using your miles where the upgrade for taxes is minimum, but nevertheless still has to be paid.

Thoughts on other airlines.

PS: it's just like hotel reward programs though.. they will always have a good excuse not to let you redeem your points for a free night... no matter where you are from or where you're travelling to they will always find a godforsaken holiday because of which you can't qualify for a free night...

And if you're lucky enough to get a day on which there is no holiday even in Heaven, they will say they have already reached the availabilities of free rooms for that day because, of course, you only qualify for a certain room type...

And if you think you can just redeem other types of bonuses like 50% they will say you can do it on the rack rate that is so high you can book cheaper on Agoda and earn points that you can redeem anyday anytime any location..

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDesire
    " ... Using your reward miles, don't think it is a totally free seat, only to be told, the seat is free but you have to pay the taxes - in the case of London Bkk London, the taxes are almost 50% of the actual ticket price. ... Thoughts on other airlines ... "
    I used air miles (on United) for a 'free' flight last year YVR >> BKK >> YVR. You are correct about having to pay (some? all? part?) the tax: turned out to be be a big fat $75. I was quite content with that. As the beach boys selling silver rainbow rings on Playa Los Muertos in Puerto Vallarta yell ... "Almost FREE! Almost FREE!"
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

round trip this year on Delta cost me $16 and bunch of miles.
    had to book almost a year in advance. would have been longer
    in advance if I was flying during the summer months.
    three flights to Bkk and
    four back to USA