Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: US reps voted to scrap "dont ask, dont tel in the military.

Liked

US reps voted to scrap "dont ask, dont tel in the military.

Maybe this might have an impact on the complete ban on US sailors coming into Boyztown when the fleet is in Pattaya after the big joint naval excercise.

US House of Representatives votes to end ban on gays in military

* Correspondents in Washington
    * May 28, 2010 3:35PM AET

The US House of Representatives voted today to repeal the 1993 law known as "don't ask, don't tell", and allow gays to serve openly in the military.

Representatives voted 234-194 to scrap the 1993 law, just hours after the Senate Armed Services Committee also approved a measure repealing the policy that requires gay military personnel to keep quiet about their sexual orientation or face dismissal.

The plan must now go before the full Senate for a vote before it can be sent to President Barack Obama to be signed into law.

In a 16-12 vote, the Senate Armed Services Committee earlier approved a provision to repeal the 1993 "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Senator Susan Collins, the only Republican to vote for the amendment to a Defence spending bill, said it passed after "vigorous and aggressive debate".

Senator Joe Lieberman, who promoted the measure with Armed Services Chairman Carl Levin, said: "It's time for this policy to go. It doesn't reflect America's best values of equal opportunity, and it's not good for the military."

Repealing the 1993 law, a priority of gay rights groups that Mr Obama has pledged to pursue, still faces a tough road.

Opposition in the full House was expected to be fierce, particularly among Republicans who cited letters from military service chiefs urging Congress to hold off on the legislation until the Pentagon completes a study of the impact on military life and readiness.

The measure could face a filibuster when it reaches the Senate floor.

"I think it's really going to be very harmful to the morale and effectiveness of our military," said Senator John McCain, the top Republican on the Armed Services Committee and a leading opponent of the repeal.

Still, the vote was welcomed by gay rights groups.

"This is the beginning of the end of a shameful ban on open service by lesbian and gay troops that has weakened our national security," said Joe Solmonese, president of Human Rights Campaign, a leading gay rights organisation.

In the House, debate on "don't ask, don't tell" dominated an all-day session on a bill that approves more than $US700 billion for military operations.

Democrats stressed that the measure was a compromise under which the repeal would not go into effect until the Pentagon completes its study, expected in December, and until Mr Obama and military leaders certify that it would not adversely affect the military's ability to fight.

Republicans countered by reading similar letters written by the heads of the military services asking Congress to wait.

"I also believe that repealing the law before the completion of the review will be seen by the men and women of the Army as a reversal of our commitment to hear their views before moving forward," wrote General George Casey, head of the Army.

Congress going first "is the equivalent to turning to our men and women in uniform and their families and saying, 'Your opinion, your view, do not count'," said Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon, the top Republican on the House Armed Services Committee.

But Republican Jared Polis, an openly gay Democrat from Colorado, said most Americans "recognise that on the battlefield, it doesn't matter if a soldier is lesbian, gay or straight. What matters is they get the job done for our country."

Republican Patrick Murphy, a Pennsylvania Democrat who served in the Iraq war and who is the chief sponsor of the amendment, said, "We need to get this done, and we need to get it done now."

The Senate panel's vote of approval was sealed when Senator Ben Nelson, a conservative Democrat, endorsed it earlier this week. He said then a provision in the bill giving the military the power to decide on the details of implementing the policy was key to his support because it "removes politics from the process" and ensures repeal is "consistent with military readiness and effectiveness".

Advocates hoped the momentum in the Senate would carry over to the House, where several conservative Democrats - including Republican Gene Taylor - threatened to oppose the massive defense spending bill if it included the repeal.

- with Jim Abrams and Julie Hirschfeld Davis of The Associated Press

Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: US reps voted to scrap "dont ask, dont tel in the milita

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    Maybe this might have an impact on the complete ban on US sailors coming into Boyztown when the fleet is in Pattaya after the big joint naval excercise.
    Anything to relate it to Thailand huh?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    Anything to relate it to Thailand huh?
    Usually the US fleet arrives about now and their dollars would have been extremely useful. Regular visitors to Pattaya would have been aware of that. I think the excercise is named Cobra
    and shore patrols patrol Boyztown to arrest any personel found in in the "gay area"
    It also applies as you would be aware, to the US service people who are on R&R leave and hopefully this might also see the start of more visits from the crews of visiting US warships.
    I am surprised you do not approve.

Liked

тАЬтАжthe complete ban on US sailors coming into BoyztownтАжтАЭ

I would be interested in knowing the source of this information.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer

I have sat in Boyztown and watched the shore patrols visiting Boyztown often twice each hour. I have met with officers from naval ships at Cafe Royale, discussed this and they were happy to breach naval guidelines about "GAY AREAS" and actually were booked into CR.

They told me about how difficult it was for enlisted men to risk being exposed to shore patrols even though there is a lot of homoerotic activity aboard the ships.

My trips in May over the last 20 years have included at least 5 where the fleet has been in port.

Liked

Over a couple of years I talked with a naval Chief Warrant Officer who regularly stayed at the Ambiance, both when his ship was in and when he was on leave. He said the Uniform Code of Military Justice forbids personnel paying for sex, or patronizing establishments where workers (male or female) are available for sex. I asked if it was rigidly enforced.
    He said it was.

I asked the rationale for such a prohibition. He said the U.S. Congress mandated it so as not to support human trafficking. Of course this situation hardly obtains in Thailand where eager boys and girls descend on Pattaya in hopes of sharing in the windfall.

Once when his ship was in we were on the terrace of the Ambiance. I asked if he was concerned about being seen. He said it was not too likely, but that if he were seen his efficiency reports, which had heretofore been sterling, would suffer.

Liked

When the late Ian McKnight was alive I used to join him most nights for a drink on the terrace of Cafe Royale and occasionally for dinner. Usually I stayed 3 trips of 14 days.
    Ian and I would observe the shore patrols coming through Boyztown but I cannot remember if they went into the bars.There was a naval officer staying in CR and another in Serene.

When the US fleet came in mid may, Ian used to claim that the female hooker population rose from about 5,000 to 7,000 similar to Xmas. The boy[male] numbers did not change very much.
    At Xmas time numbers of boys almost doubled.

I might be out of touch since Ian passed away, as I rarely go into Boyztown any more.

I asked if he was concerned about being seen. He said it was not too likely, but that if he were seen his efficiency reports, which had heretofore been sterling, would suffer.
    Homosexuality effects efficiency!
    Only when 'on the job' ?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by SilomRimmer
    Homosexuality effects efficiency!
    Only when 'on the job' ?
    Usually, though, you cum up with two solutions rather than just one.

Liked

One good step forward for freedom.

Possibly bad news for anyone else in town when the navy arrive in town, due to distortion of the supply/demand balance.