Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You Couldn't Make It Up!

Re: You Couldn't Make It Up!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus

It is just a building.You can still invest ..if you got the balls ..Dingbat!
    I don't want to invest in a Dingbat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat_%28building%29 :thebirdman:

Touche! Silcom
    you genuinely make me laugh! Well done! You have potential, try not to join the GHOULS. Be Nice.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Dyed
    Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Ah sorry... my mistake. Bad terminology. I think its movement is heavily influenced by the USD but no it is not officially pegged as other Asian currencies are.
    Not bad terminology at all Beachlover! Just plain stupidity on your part.
    The Thai Baht has been rising against the US$, at least during the period under consideration, as these charts below show.

[attachment=1:35ecmxda]Thai Baht rises against US$.jpg[/attachment:35ecmxda]
    [attachment=0:35ecmxda]US$ drops against Thai Baht.jpg[/attachment:35ecmxda]

A gradual 3% appreciation over four months is hardly wild fluctuation!

I wasn't referring to four months. Look at the longer term.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    Ah sorry... my mistake. Bad terminology. I think its movement is heavily influenced by the USD but no it is not officially pegged as other Asian currencies are.
    Out of curiosity, what other asian currencies (other than China's currency) is either officially or unofficially pegged to the US dollar? I didn't think there were any (other than the Chinese government strictly controlling its banks as to the US dollar exchange rate).

And I wish the "heavy influence" you note would stop causing the dollar to nose-dive against the baht for the last decade. I liked the 42-45 rate whereas the current (approximate) 32 rate is not so pleasant.

Liked

.. what other asian currencies (other than China's currency) is either officially or unofficially pegged to the US dollar?
    The Hong Kong Dollar is pegged at something around 7.8 to the USD but is allowed a trading range of something like 1%.

The only other such peg in Asia is Viet Nam.

Asian currencies
    Chips off the block: Currencies around Asia are more flexible than you think

Liked

I am an expert on economics.

When I moved to Thailand eleven years ago I advised my boyfriend, who was starting a savings account, to set it up as a dollar account rather than a baht account as the dollar was safer.

Before moving to Thailand I had bought $3,000 in travelers checks for emergencies, then forgot about them. A short while ago I cashed the travelers checks, which had, by then, lost $1,000 against the baht.

Fortunately my boyfriend had ignored my advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Out of curiosity, what other asian currencies (other than China's currency) is either officially or unofficially pegged to the US dollar? I didn't think there were any
    The Hong Kong dollar is very tightly pegged to the US dollar - and before you say it's a chinese currency that peg was in place long before the handover.

The Hong Kong dollar is officially pegged to the US dollar at a rate of US$1 to HK$7.7.

The Macau pataca is indirectly pegged to the US dollar through its HK dollar link at a rate of 8 patacas to US$1.