Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: and if the curfew is not enough ... British Airways

and if the curfew is not enough ... British Airways

BA with its "on and off" strike is now "on". Officially, they can go on strike now but wish to negotiate with management. To no avail, I suspect they will strike. So, anyone travelling to Thailand has a double whammy if they are travelling BA.

Re: and if the curfew is not enough ... British Airways

why would anybody choose to fly with BA?

.... a lot of people don't I know, and their cabin crew might be a bit snotty at times, but BA are "up there" when it comes to health and safety, rigorously trained cabin crew etc and everything else, well at the moment anyway, dunno what will happen in the future with "Willie Walsh's" idea of cutbacks etc.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Easy. Don't use BA. I would avoid booking with BA for now. Strike or no strike, the high potential for strikes is enough to put me off them when there's other good airlines competing.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dave_syd
    why would anybody choose to fly with BA?
    I suppose because they are the cheapest (I've noticed this when I book flights but it may be different for other routes).

But their planes are old, service isn't very exciting and there's good potential for strikes now... so for an extra $100-$200 I'll fly Singapore Airlines, Emirates or Qantas.

dont forget that the seat spacing is terrible - a few years ago, I had the displeasure of having to fly with them from SYD-BKK. I had to spend the flight sitting at an angle to avoid digging my knees into the back of the seat in front of me. I am just over 6', not unusually tall. the worst flight I have ever had.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dave_syd
    dont forget that the seat spacing is terrible - a few years ago, I had the displeasure of having to fly with them from SYD-BKK. I had to spend the flight sitting at an angle to avoid digging my knees into the back of the seat in front of me. I am just over 6', not unusually tall. the worst flight I have ever had.
    Oh... well don't ever do any long hauls on Jetstar, Tiger or Air Asia then or you'll beat that record lol.

I don't know if BA seat spacing is any worse than Qantas or SIA though. But the sooner Qantas clears out its old aircraft and replaces them with the 380 the better.

Liked

Friends of mine who fly only Qantas were shocked when I told them the flight I recently had LHR/SYD was a London based crew that did not include one Australian. Probably ex BA .
    The quality of service was much different to my A380 trip to LAX [747 return] from Aussie crews. Much more friendly and eager to please.

After I posted the above I found this answer to a question on seating in The Age. The link to seatguru is very interesting.

Q Where is the best place to sit on a long-haul flight such as on a 747 if you are tall? How far in advance can I request this seat?

I have it on good authority that first-class seating is not too shabby. But dreaming aside, you're probably sitting where I usually am, in economy. And there is no simple answer to this question as airlines configure their 747s - and every other passenger aircraft - to suit their own requirements.

There are, however, a couple of ways you can shoehorn yourself into superior seating for your next flight. Log on to SeatGuru (seatguru.com), key in your airline and flight number and the server comes back with an overview of the aircraft you'll be flying on, with premium real estate colour coded. Seat Expert (seatexpert.com) does much the same thing.

Next, check your airline's website and locate the page with check-in options, which should tell you when you can book your chosen seat. This also varies between airlines and you need to get in smartly.

But here's one of the best-kept secrets of the professional traveller. Regardless of which airline or aircraft you're flying with, when you're travelling in economy, you want to be placed in an exit row, where the seats have valuable extra centimetres of leg room.

Several airlines allow you to pre-book exit-row seats for a modest surcharge - and it's well worth it. I'm about to fly from Sydney to Adelaide and Virgin Blue is charging me $35 for an exit-row seat, which gives an extra 20 centimetres of stretch-out space. On an international flight, say from Sydney to London, an exit-row seat with Qantas will cost $160 extra one way - and that's a rolled-gold bargain.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

well, there is in the end an advantage being a short guy lol

besides, i always take down sleep pills a couple hours after take off so i sleep on average 8/9 hours straight so i don't even know how uncomfortable the plane is...

I think i only flew with BA once or twice in my life, ten or so years ago when low costs milan-london didn't exist, i dunno in what route they are so much cheaper.. apparently none of those i've been taking for the past 10 years.. i always seem to get my best deals with Emirates and Qatar airlines... and their crew are always very willing to accomodate requests..... VERY WILLING :occasion9:

Liked

This is the result of a pole of passengers who traveled from Thailand in the ten months up to April. Rated for overall quality etc.

1. Asiana Airlines
    2. Singapore Airlines
    3. Qatar Airways
    4. Cathay Pacific
    5. Air New Zealand
    6. Etihad Airways
    7. Qantas Airways
    8. Emirates
    9. Thai Airways
    10. Malaysia Airlines

I certainly wouldn't go near British Airways which is second only to Garuda as my candidate for the worst airline.