Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $ to usa

$ to usa

what is the best way to get money from thailand to the usa for a trip? atm, cash, traveler check?!
    thanks.

Re: $ to usa

This subject comes up time and time again, and "how to do it" also changes, since high charges are incurred on debit/credit cards and cash.

If you have a Thai bank account, then obviously that is the best way, you would get the commercial rates when transferring your money from a US account to Thai account, but be careful of the charge they make to do this.

Commission free Traveller Cheques are another good way, generally when in Thailand these command a slightly higher exchange rate, although there have been problems in cashing some of these recently in some places. There is a charge for each TC cashed, so larger denominations are better.

The new style debit top-up cards - these are brilliant, you top them up with money before you leave for your holiday or top up whilst you are on holiday via internet (in US dollar, sterling or Euro) and when you withdraw your money (at the other end, i.e. Thailand), you get an excellent rate, free of charges, except for the 150 bht that Thai banks are now charging for a transaction from a machine - unfortunately, you can't stop this - there are people on here who say that they found a machine that does not charge 150 bht, but I have yet to find one, I think it is personally something to do with their own card and bank account, rather than the Thai system.

As I always recommend - check the smallprint.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I don't know the 'best'' way... I usually just pull a wad of $5k out of the ATM before I leave. But the biggest expenses are usually done with a credit card so go figure...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Alf
    what is the best way to get money from thailand to the usa for a trip? atm, cash, traveler check?!
    thanks.

Didn't he ask FROM Thailand TO the USA, not the other way around ?
    TOQ Tired Old Queen

Don't feed the trolls, Don't feed the trolls, I keep telling myself ..........

yes i did. i know the way to do it from the usa. but now i live here on a retirement visa with all my cash here and i want to take money back home to the usa for a visit. so again, i wonder what is the best/cheapest way to do this?

yes i did. i know the way to do it from the usa. but now i live here on a retirement visa with all my cash here and i want to take money back home to the usa for a visit. so again, i wonder what is the best/cheapest way to do this?
    Depends on the kind of Thai Bank card that you hold. You can check with the bank and see if it's good for both cash withdrawals and credit payents abroad and to what amount. Or if you still have a bank account in the States transfer money to that before you go. The former would be my first step, go talk with your bank in LOS.

Liked

I've never had to do it, but I've heard it can be problematic due to Thai money laundering laws. If I can remember correctly, there's something to do with proving the funds originated from a foreign country, and if they originated in Thailand, there's a bunch of other hoops you need to jump though.

Search for it on http://www.thaivisa.com/, as I know the same question has been asked there many times.

Forum's veteran
    Liked: 1

Alf, if you have retirement income coming in from outside Thailand, can it be diverted to a USA bank for a couple of months?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    I've never had to do it, but I've heard it can be problematic due to Thai money laundering laws. If I can remember correctly, there's something to do with proving the funds originated from a foreign country, and if they originated in Thailand, there's a bunch of other hoops you need to jump though.

Search for it on http://www.thaivisa.com/, as I know the same question has been asked there many times.
    If you are using the same bank as you use for your incoming transfers then transferring money out again is not a problem. I always used Bangkok Bank for both in and out transactions (Sukhumvit Branch between Asoke and Nana BTS) and never had any problems. Whatever, go and talk with your bank and they will advise you to the current regulations.

Liked

Why not just use your Thai ATM card in the USA to withdraw USD? I have done this with Bangkok Bank ATM with no problems. Or bring USD in cash up to $10,000.