List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh God, when the protest going to be over ?

Oh God, when the protest going to be over ?

I want to go to Bangkok since April but can not do so because of the protestor, I will be trying to go again in July and hope that everything will be normal once again. How most of you in Bangkok doing so far ? Hope you guy have a good time there.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Oh God, when the protest going to be over ?

Hard to say. In the meantime, just stick to using your hand LOL (sorry... bad one I know).

You could use the time to build muscle!

[attachment=0:1fajd2mq]how-to-spot-a-single-guy.jpg[/attachment:1fajd2mq]

Liked

I propose to get the US military involved. Get PHYOPS (sp) in there, and within a week all the peaceful protesters should be gone (women, children, etc.). From there, just arrest the rest of the blood thirsty hard core guys military style. I used to sympathize with the red shirts plight, but at this point, fuck 'em. They've proven beyond any shadow of a doubt that they don't care one iota about democracy, civil liberties, freedom of speech, their fellow human, nothing.

So fuck 'em. Get the peaceful out of there, and take care of the rest with force. If they decide it's a good idea to setup blockades, search vehicles, and storm hospitals, then don't bitch when they themselves get stormed. Treat people how you want to be treated.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

You have either been drinking or are really pissed off aren't you? lol.

You could say the same thing about the yellow shirt protesters after what they did with the airports last year. I don't know, which side is worse. I'm sure from their own perspectives, though, they each think they have a compelling enough reason to cause this much havoc. To them... it's like a do or die thing... they believe they have to make this happen no matter what.

Really, it's ridiculous this country doesn't have a stable and democratically elected government.

I'm curious and haven't been following this all closely so...

- Who exactly are the "no shirt" protesters? Are they just general citizens of Bangkok who don't support either side but are sick of all the protests?

- How is Abhisit able to get away with or justify not calling a democratic election? How does he justify delaying it for 9 months or whatever he wants it to be?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    You have either been drinking or are really pissed off aren't you? lol.
    Nah, it's just that it's starting to be a little concerning now. The red shirts seem to be doing whatever the hell they please, with almost no reprecussions, because the current government doesn't seem capable of enforcing the law. Abhisit will usually show up on TV every day or two, apologize for the red shirts latest stunt, and say the government is working on it. That's it though, and no actual action.

You know, private citizens can't just go around the country setting up checkpoints along roads, searching & seizing vehicles as they see fit, storming TV networks and hospitals, lobbing some grenades every once in a while, etc. Scary part is, they're allowed to get away with it all.

For example, a few days ago, a leader with an opposing view point flew into Khon Kaen, and what happened? Red shirts setup a checkpoint on the exit road of the airport, and began searching every vehicle. The other guy turned around, and went straight back to Bangkok. No mention of police coming out to stop private citizens from setting up a checkpoint or anything, and they were just allowed to go ahead with it.

Or they go storm a hospital, which you simply don't do. Even during war times, both sides generally leave the others' hospitals alone. But oh no, not the red shirts. Then they have the gall to go on stage, and preach about how peaceful they are, and how they "just want democracy". Fuck that, they hardly "just want democracy".

You have to remember, it was only a simple 35 years ago that Pol Pot was in power a few hundred kms down the road, and we all know how that turned out. Pol Pot is a major (the largest?) factor as to why Cambodia is still currently an economic shit hole. He was just a poor villager battling against the elitists too, and unfortunately, the red shirts have given some strong indications that they wouldn't mind having authoritarian rule as well. I don't know, time will tell. Let's hope the current government can get their act together, and begin enforcing the laws.

Who exactly are the "no shirt" protesters? Are they just general citizens of Bangkok who don't support either side but are sick of all the protests?
    Yep. Just people who are pissed off. No allegiance to either, Abhisit or Thaksin. They just want to live their lives in peace, and the red shirts are fucking that up for them, so they're pissed off.

How is Abhisit able to get away with or justify not calling a democratic election? How does he justify delaying it for 9 months or whatever he wants it to be?
    Legally, according to the current constitution, Abhisit is allowed to remain in power until Dec 2011. He tried to compromised with the red shirts, and said he's willing to bring the election time frame down to 9 months. That wasn't good enough for the red shirts though, because they want elections within 15 days, damnit! Idiots...

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    That wasn't good enough for the red shirts though, because they want elections within 15 days, damnit! Idiots...
    You can't select candidates, have debates, and have the populace vote in that sort of timeframe. 9 months didn't seem that unreasonable to me.

I don't know enough about politics to take a side but you don't have to to know that this demand is logistically impossible.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Ah, thanks for the explanation cdnmatt. I'm sure it ain't perfect but it's helpful.

Yep, storming the hospital was an incredibly bad moment of judgement and one they are paying dearly for. An article today compared them to the Japanese occupiers saying, even the Japanese left the hospital alone.

the current government doesn't seem capable of enforcing the law. Abhisit will usually show up on TV every day or two, apologize for the red shirts latest stunt, and say the government is working on it. That's it though, and no actual action.
    There might be a reason for this... Consider their options:

If the government "does something" it's probably going to lead to loss of life or even something many times worse. Who knows what it would take for it to escalate into all out civil war, rebellion and insurgency? In the end, this is probably better for the reds.

But if the government makes a strategic decision to hold fire, it leaves the reds in a precarious situation.

For every day they inconvenience everyone with their antics, sympathy and tolerance for them drops lower and lower. Eventually, it may not even take the government to get rid of the reds. Others may be pissed off enough to do it themselves. And if the government does decide to go in then it will be much easier as public tolerance for casualties and violence will be much higher... Just look how pissed off you're getting at the reds yourself.

I think one reason the reds want an election in 15 days is if they accept a promise to hold elections in 9 months... they have to "demobilise" their mob now... and if that promise is then broken... it will be a pain in the arse to re-mobilise the red mob and the government will be better prepared.

Liked: 1

Geez, I thought you guys read more widely than those guys over at that personal blog masquerading as a forum, where anything in the Nation, the Bangkok Post or on TV is assumed to be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I'm not saying that I'm a red shirt supporter, but there are two sides to these stories, one of which will never see the light of day in Thailand.

Try ....
    http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandal ... red-germs/
    http://www.asiancorrespondent.com/bangkok-pundit-blog

The red shirts seem to be doing whatever the hell they please, with almost no reprecussions, because the current government doesn't seem capable of enforcing the law.
    That's most likely because it's the army / police who have to enforce the law, and considerable numbers of them side with the red shirts.

You know, private citizens can't just go around the country setting up checkpoints along roads, searching & seizing vehicles as they see fit, storming TV networks and hospitals, lobbing some grenades every once in a while, etc. Scary part is, they're allowed to get away with it all.
    As opposed to 'democratic' governments, who control free speech by shutting down TV and radio stations, web sites, and throw people in jail for 18 years for making obtuse references to HMK, etc.

Or they go storm a hospital, which you simply don't do. Even during war times, both sides generally leave the others' hospitals alone. But oh no, not the red shirts. Then they have the gall to go on stage, and preach about how peaceful they are, and how they "just want democracy". Fuck that, they hardly "just want democracy".
    Firstly, I have heard almost a dozen different versions of what actually happened. And the red shirts did admit this was a mistake, by rogue elements.

And it's not just any hospital. The hospital where doctors refused to treat police and soldiers injured in clashes with the PAD yellow shirts. The hospital with a doctor amongst prominent yellow shirt spokesmen. The hospital from whose 5th floor some witnesses reported the grenades fired at Sala Daeng to have come.

Strategically, Chula is exactly where you'd hide troops.

You have to remember, it was only a simple 35 years ago that Pol Pot was in power a few hundred kms down the road, and we all know how that turned out.
    Now you've really lost it.

Who exactly are the "no shirt" protesters? Are they just general citizens of Bangkok who don't support either side but are sick of all the protests?
    Yep. Just people who are pissed off. No allegiance to either, Abhisit or Thaksin. They just want to live their lives in peace, and the red shirts are fucking that up for them, so they're pissed off.
    Most likely they're yellow shirts. They're certainly as well organized as the red shirts. Notice how they all wave the same identical Thai flag ?

How is Abhisit able to get away with or justify not calling a democratic election? How does he justify delaying it for 9 months or whatever he wants it to be?
    Because he knows he'd lose - after all he didn't win one to get into power. And probably because he's been told he's not 'allowed' to have an election.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks for the insight/opinion Hmmm.

I know it's a complex situation... I know a little about it on the surface but can't be arsed digging deeper to learn more about it. More fun seeing cdnmatt get worked up here :blackeye:

Ah well... I just hope this particular blow up ends in a sustainable state (i.e. not like the last time where we all knew it was going to blow up again at some point)... or at the very least, calms down enough to make Bangkok peaceful and trouble-free again.