Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Memories of a Friend

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Memories of a Friend

During the very first night of my last holiday I was strolling around the soi's of Sunee Plaza and heard a familiar voice call my name. Assuming it was one of the boys from the past, I turned to great him. I recognized him immediately as someone I knew very well, but for that first mega second I couldn't place him.

The minute he started speaking again I remembered who he was and the hand shakes and hugs were on. I guess one reason it took me a minute to place him is that I knew him from Bangkok and never saw him in Pattaya before. His name is Nu and he was a very dear friend and sometimes live-in companion of my old friend Jon from England. Jon had first introduced me to Nu about 1 year prior to his moving to Thailand and openly adored this boy as one of his closest companions.

I remembered Nu as being vibrant and full of life, who spoke with a refined British accent making him sound more like a very young Paul McCartney - than a 19 Y/O boy from the streets of Bangkok. His manners were also refined which also reflected Jon's influence on him over the years.

This time, something was different.

His smile, which used to stretch from ear-to-ear and could light up a soi on a dark night, was now wilted. His voice sounded lower than I remembered and his speech was staggered. Even the strong British accent I remembered so well seemed dampened and somewhat flat. We sat down at the beer bar he was working at and I was soon to learn why.

My very first question to NU was...how's Jon doing? I hadn't spoke with Jon since he accepted the full time position at a university in Bangkok earlier that year and was anxious to hear how he was doing. Jon was also instrumental in motivating me to explore rural Thailand in April 04' and provided me with a tremendous amount of good advice drawing from his expansive knowledge of Thailand and Thai culture. Nu's response to my question left me both stunned and depressed, as he informed me that Jon, who some of you may remember as ZZZ on our old PG Forum, had passed away 3 weeks earlier. Jon (ZZZ) also posted on Sawatdee, but for the life of me I can't remember the name he used.

I sat with Nu for over an hour and heard about the final days preceding Jons death and the funeral which was arranged by his family members in England. As a result of the families acknowledgment of Nu, and their understanding of the bond that existed between Jon and Nu, the family allowed Nu to bury Jons ashes at sea, which was Jons request. The tears flowed down Nu's cheeks as he described the boat ride from Jomtien Beach and the final words he spoke to Jon as he released his ashes to the sea.

I altered my plans for that night which included seeing Boy Special who had just been released from the hospital following a motor bike accident. Instead, I phoned Boy Special and told him that I would see him later in the evening, and I explained why.

I payed Nu's off fee at the bar and took him to JJ Karaoke which I knew would be empty at that early hour. We drank and ate, and drank some more, until people started flowing in and we decided to leave.

The heart-wrenching story I heard from Nu was not all that uncommon in the world of the Thai working boys, 95% of which never get an opportunity to meet and share their life with someone as special and genuine as Jon. Jon provided Nu with a place to sleep, food to eat, and more importantly, a caring and trustworthy friendship that was never compromised in the 3 years they were together. Nu is now torn in half and left with no other choice but to hit the streets in an effort to survive by selling himself.

I'm telling this story with the assumption that the announcement of Jon's passing was made to our forum members back in October.

When I returned home from my October holiday I had 2 messages from Jon in my in-box. One was asking me to call him so we could meet for dinner during my short stay in BKK, and in the other went on to describe how he was feeling under the weather lately. I said my final farewells to Jon in the long e:mail message I returned to him - knowing that it would remain unread in this life time.

Jon will be missed dearly by all those who knew him...and by one dazed looking Thai boy who truly loved him.

Liked
    Sometimes I forget that the guys I post with on the board are more than fonts and pictures and are real people with real lives.

The story you write is touching and sad and begs me to wonder about things that are none of my business and I have no real right to know. I also feel as if there should be something we could do for him, for zzz.

If anyone plans to take a collection for him or if he has an Ikobo card, I would be happy to donate to him, much the same way people do here for friends who have lost a lovedone.

PS. Great to see you made it onto the board
    These are the good'ol days

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked
    Thanks Dodger.

Liked
    " ... Jon (ZZZ) also posted on Sawatdee, but for the life of me I can't remember the name he used ... "
    Thanks for the story Dodger ... ZZZ is sorely missed on this New Sawatdee as well.

Just for your info, ZZZ posted with that same handle on the original Sawatdee . . . you can still see his name up there as a "Last Poster" (coincidental as well as sadly ironic) on one of the threads in the Archives.
    Do a "Search" here and many of his posts wll come up, even if they were posted on the old EZBoard version of Sawatdee.

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

elephantspike
    if he has an Ikobo card, I would be happy to donate to him
    That's a great idea. Get him an Ikobo card, and post a link to the deposit page. We can help Nu.

I do not know what a Ikobo card is, but I will be more that happy to help a little bit.

It is sad when a friend dies; I personally have had three Thais...one lover and two close friends who have passed and they are a part of my heart that will not heal.

Sometimes when I come to Thailand I miss seeing friends and it is damn hard to get information about what has happened to them...sorry...mind is wandering.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Memories of a Friend

ES...

I don't know how an Ikobo Card works, but I'd be the first person to donate if this gets established.

If anyone is visiting (or living in) Pattaya and interested in passing your regards onto Nu personally, he was last seen working in Sunee at the small beer bar which sits directly across the soi from KAOS. He has shoulder length black hair, speaks fluent English and is extremely good looking...you should spot him easily.

If by chance anyone here sees him please tell him that he remains in my prayers.

elephantspike
    https://www.ikobo.com/?scr=how_ikard_works

Giving the gift of the iKard allows your friends and family members the ability to make purchases, withdraw cash, or receive money from anyone, anywhere in the world in less than 30 seconds. Money can be sent to any person with an email address instantly.

1. Send money using a credit or debit card.

2. Recipient receives an iKard - a re-loadable VISA debit card.

3. VISA debit card works at over 1.2 million ATMs and 20 million merchants worldwide.

4. VISA debit card is re-loadable instantly at iKobo.com.
    Does he have an email address, Dodger? He needs to have one. That is how his PIN # is sent to him. One person (I suppose in this case Dodger) needs to register an account and preload some funds using a visa card. They then send Nu a pre-loaded Visa Debit card in the mail. Do you have a mailing address for him? If not, maybe you can send it to him at the bar he works at. I have done exactly that before.

Once he receives his card, other members here can register ikobo accounts and list Nu as a recipient. Dodger will have the necessary details (account #) by then to share with us so we can do that.

Edit-It has been a while since I have used this. I just logged-on to my Ikobo account. Once you have registered an account, when you add a recipient who already has an ikobo card, you just need to enter either the recipient's account# or their email address.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Memories of a Friend

ES...

Nu did not have an active e:mail address the last time I saw him, and suggest that we make sure that he's still in PTY before setting up the account.

TO ALL MEMBERS:

Would someone who is in Pattaya now, or plans to visit shortly, voluteer to go to the beer bar to see if Nu is still there, and if he is, please get his e:mail address.

elephantspike
    .....Or help him set-up a free one, such as Hotmail or Yahoo. Is he very WWW savy? Also you'll need a mailing address (that part should be kept private) Only Dodger needs to know the mailing address, the rest of us only need his email address in order to add him as a recipient once he receives his card.

Ikobo FAQ page