Hua Hin's newest gay bar (hosts, sooner or later?) opened it's doors a week ago. Comfortably ensconced on premises of the now defunct lady bar Cheeky Monkey, a much gayer place,'Little Choices' has now arrived in what had become a bit of a graveyard of bit-the-dust places for off-happy gay sex maniacs to hang out.

Five years ago when we first started scouting our new home out, there were a matching number of bars ~ 5, and although Hua Hin has never achieved nirvana status, it was certainly richer than the two lonely host bars which have survived this last year: 'Faq Tong' ~ never the grandest of the grand ~ disappeared last April soon after it's farang owner was murdered and the host boys migrated to the last two left standing, 'Red Indian' and 'Guys Bar'. The former has a certain grungy and claustrophobic charm inside the maze of small bars beside the Hilton, and to it's credit it was, at one time, home to the Greatest-Bubble-Butt-In-Thailand. But he unfortunately fucked off to the Army (dragged, screaming) and left Red Indian bereft of a decent ass.
Guys Bar is a bit of a disaster zone ... unkempt undecorated unadorned unpainted, it's walls a cold slate gray, lacking a pool table, lacking boys more often than not. The owner ~ though a very nice guy ~ has shallow pockets, and it shows. Enjoyable on any given night for a quick beer and short conversation, Guys is a place to go before going to another place ... never the reputation a bar owner wants or needs.

But now we have ~ on top of the aforementioned ~ 'Little Choices'. Frankly, as far as a handle, I'd have thought 'BIG Choices' would be somewhat more attractive to Folks-Like-Us, but there you have it ... 'little' is the new 'big'.
Besides that small nitpick however, 'Little Choices' is, potentially, the best gay thing to have happened to HH in quite some time. More spacious than the other two places, much headier ambiance, mood lighting, formidable sound system, multiple flat screens, pool table (great for when the conversation with a Thai guy who doesn't speak a word is dying a slow death before your very eyes). All beer is 80 baht, hard liquour is 120 baht (I think), cocktails available, no food cooked on the premises, but lots of choice in the vicinity.

Owned by a farang ('Skip') and his boyfriend ('Oh') and open only these last 8 days now, we dropped in with Bob ~ joined later by 'Chee' ~ the other night and stayed for a some hours of crunchingly vicious pool (I crunched ... Bob, Pot and Chee died the death of a 1000 scratches ) and more beer and Bacardi Cokes than I care to remember.
A birthday party started up, there was a rather steady stream of customers coming and going, boys from 'Guys Bar' (unfortunately, almost right next door! ... the Kiss of Death I fear I see) dropped in to sniff which way the wind was blowing and to join in the pool game. That night, 'Little Choices' was indeed a going concern.

I did not notice any obvious host boys on the prowl, but it's only open now just over a week and, if it's what the owner wants it to be, then I suspect it will start to attract more Thai-handsome hangers-around. Presumably gay guys looking for a comfortable gay bar (in Thailand) will expect at least to find some (little or big) choices sitting around the periphery, with that "choose me please" look in their eye.

Here's hoping it accrues good luck, as Hua Hin is a somewhat difficult town for gay folks looking for 'gay' entertainment.