Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thaksin's assets seized

Re: Thaksin's assets seized

I don't think Toxin or his family will lay awake at night wondering where the next meal is going to come from............

Quote Originally Posted by sanook
    I don't think Toxin or his family will lay awake at night wondering where the next meal is going to come from............
    They've only seized about a Billion pounds. He has another one.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sanook
    No but they may decide to take a first class flight instead of a private jet now.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Heh.... some of these are just hilarious:

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=873

тАШNationтАЩ Seeks Font Size Big Enough For Final, Final Showdown To End All Showdowns Headline

BANGKOK тАУ Editors at тАШThe NationтАЩ were scrambling this morning to locate a font size bigger than any of the sizes previously used by the paper in the lead-up to FridayтАЩs assets verdict case.

Editor Thaong Kantong was furious when he was told that 108 was the largest font size available and had already been used on the front page 15 times in the previous 24 days.

Shouting across the newsroom, he ordered his graphic designers to find an even bigger font. тАЬWhat do you mean 108 is the limit?тАЭ he said. тАЬThis is much bigger than the 108 size font. There is no 110 or even 112? This is a huge story. I want the headline right across front page top to bottomтАжwhole headline. Can we run the paper horizontally?тАЭ

Asked what the headline would be for FridayтАЩs paper, Thanong said, тАЬIt will depend on the font size and how many letters we can fit but no matter what you will be able to read it from a 100 meters away.тАЭ

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=873

Forum's veteran
    Liked

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=870

Thai Media Warns Of Thaksin-Less Doomsday For Journalism

Loss of assets would force reporters to find actual news, look up facts

BANGKOK тАУ The Thai Journalists Association warned today of an impending apocalypse in the local news media if the Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Holders of Political Positions rules to seize all of former Prime Minister Thaksin ShinawatraтАЩs assets.

тАЬIf Thaksin no longer has any money, he will no longer be able to fund the Red Shirts. Without over-simplified, color-coded polarized politics to generate easy, sensationalist headlines, the journalism industry could suffer its worst crisis since the fall of the Thai Communist Party,тАЭ said ThaiRath editor Limpattamapanee Chavarong.

Additionally, the loss of ThaksinтАЩs money would severely curtail the ability for Thai journalists to randomly accuse him of having paid off every organization in the world that fails to parrot the conservative, royalist position of the mainstream Thai media.

тАЬWe could lose up to 75% of our content if itтАЩs no longer feasible to just say that the Economist, Wall Street Journal, Amnesty International, The World Court, the CIA, and the British Parliament are all on ThaksinтАЩs payroll,тАЭ said Thanong Khantong, editor of the Nation. тАЬI might actually have to start looking up facts. It would ruin me.тАЭ

Rumors have surfaced that newspapers and even television news programmes have already designed radical contingency plans to deal with the possibility of a Thakin-free Thai news apocalypse, including the firing of all senior editorial and reporting staff and replacing them with a younger generation of journalists trained in new technologies such as fact-checking and follow-up questioning.

тАЬIt would be a disaster for Thailand,тАЭ said an unnamed board member of the TJA. тАЬIt would effectively end Thai journalism as we know it.тАЭ

The Association has published an open letter to the Supreme Court, printed in its entirely today in several of the nationтАЩs leading dailies, urging the court to leave Thaksin at least some of his money, as an act of economic protectionism for the kingdomтАЩs vital pop-news industry.

тАЬWe remain as committed as ever to serving this great kingdom with the sensationalism of trivial details, speculation of absurd possibilities, and obfuscation of important issues,тАЭ the statement read in part.

тАЬAs the custodians of ThailandтАЩs cultural traditions of myopia, amnesia, and deference to wealth and rank, we humbly seek your extra-legal interference in the free market of ideas and ask you to help us preserve the harmony of brutal, unreported status quo. In return, we promise to opiate the masses with lottery numbers, nationalist paranoia, and soft celebrity gossip,тАЭ it concluded.

Representatives of the industry plan to rally outside the court on Friday, adjacent to the Red Shirts.

For once, weтАЩre on the same side as those filthy, ignorant, paid-off, terrorist republicans,тАЭ said Thanong. тАЬI donтАЩt know what IтАЩd do without them.тАЭ

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=870

Forum's veteran
    Liked

lol-- I had to have my second cup of coffee to know the article above wasn't for real! (who puts this "newspaper" of sarcasm together?? (and has the time?) :dontknow:

Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill
    lol-- I had to have my second cup of coffee to know the article above wasn't for real! (who puts this "newspaper" of sarcasm together?? (and has the time?) :dontknow:
    People who don't teach English illiteracy in Pattaya?

Quote Originally Posted by thrillbill

It's too well written to be the usual suspects here.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

This one really had me laughing...

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=862

Green Day Concert Briefly Lets Bangkok Expats Pretend TheyтАЩre Not, Like, 40 Years Old

MUANG THONG THANI тАУ BangkokтАЩs aging, predominantely male population of foreign Gen-X expatriates were treated to a brief respite from their downwardly spiraling, nihilistically detatched lives through a live performance Tuesday night by US-based neo-punk band Green Day.

The concert, which lasted over two hours, featured loud renditions of the bandтАЩs biggest hits from their multi-platinum 1994 album Dookie, bringing back memories of past glories and long-lost feelings of optimism and energy associated with the youth of the audience members, who on average stopped being young around 1999.

тАЬThis is the best concert since the (Red Hot) Chili Peppers came in 2004,тАЭ said Josh Hrbek, a twice-divorced 41-year old tech support manager from Toronto. тАЬMakes me think of the summer after graduation, with my first girlfriendтАжтАЭ Hrbek than trailed off and stared into the distance, and began self-consciously picking at a sore on his lip. тАЬAnyway I hope they play тАШJARтАЩ. That song fucking rocks!тАЭ

Standing and dancing throughout most of the bandтАЩs set, thousands of near-middle aged men from the US, UK, Germany, Canada, Australia, South Africa, and western Europe sang along enthusiastically to mid-1990s hits like тАЬBasket Case,тАЭ тАЬLongview,тАЭ and тАЬWhen I Come Around,тАЭ shaking their fists and jumping as high as their sagging, alcohol-ravaged bodies would allow.

тАЬThese guys totally were the soundtrack of my senior year at Ohio State,тАЭ said Travis Mcnair, a 37-year old legal consultant and father of two. тАЬI feel like I could dance all night!тАЭ McNair then grabbed a chair for balance before taking a seat to catch his breath. тАЬI need a break now.тАЭ

Many of the high-spirited but out-of-shape attendees chose to take long smoking breaks while the band played new songs from its 2009 album 21st Century Breakdown, which none of the fans interviewed had actually heard yet.

тАЬDonтАЩt know the new stuff, but my girlfriend likes it,тАЭ said Calvin Fitz, a 40-year old dive instructor in Pattaya, referring to his 24-year old companion, Nat, who later told NTN that Fitz was not her boyfriend.
    тАЬI didnтАЩt even know Green Day was still around, tell you the truth. But itтАЩs great. All my mates are here.тАЭ Fitz then proceeded to attempt to chat up a group of younger, trendily-dressed Thai university girls nearby, who edged away from him nervously.

Green Day, formed in 1987 by vocalist and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt, and drummer Tre Cool, were pioneers of the California-based US punk revival of the mid-1990s, but suffered steady declines in sales as the band attempted to move forward to more mature and progressive styles of music with albums Nimrod and Warning. Despite a revival of the bandтАЩs fortunes with the politically-themed 2004 Grammy-winning album American Idiot, Green Day continues to get its biggest response when performing the melodic youth-pop from Dookie.

тАЬWeтАЩve moved on, really, but I guess a lot of our fans still like the old stuff,тАЭ said Armstrong. тАЬespecially in these Asian venues. ItтАЩs like 70% dudes in here, and I swear I recognize some of them from the Dookie tour in тАЩ95. Guess theyтАЩve been here a while.тАЭ

After a second encore and a prolonged standing ovation, the band exited the stage for good around 1 a.m. and the house lights brought harsh illumination to the exhausted, aching crowd of over-exerted mid-lifers now drenched in flop sweat. тАЬThat was awesome,тАЭ said McNair, while checking his mobile phone for missed calls from his wife. тАЬJustтАжawesome. Hold on, I have to make a call.тАЭ

тАЬHas anyone seen my girlfriend?тАЭ asked Fitz. When informed that she had left the concert half an hour earlier with some colleagues she had run into, he cursed and said he was going to Nana Plaza. тАЬGuess I should stop at home and change first,тАЭ he added, looking at his drenched t-shirt. тАЬSmelling like this I couldnтАЩt even buy love.тАЭ

Hrbek seemed the most enthusiastic of them all, continuing to hop up and down in front of his seat after the show was over. тАЬIтАЩm so pumped. I could go all night. WhoтАЩs up for something?тАЭ But after conferring with his friends about the after-hours pub options, Hrbek opted instead to go home and listen to his Smiths CDs alone in the dark.

http://notthenation.com/pages/news/getnews.php?id=862