List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with extortionists?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: How do you deal with extortionists?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala
    Word that I had a problem got back to the owner of one of the bars on the soi, who I had known for six months or so and considered a friend, and he appeared running down the soi whirling a sword above his head, which somewhat distracted the thugs.
    LOL... Now there's a dramatic rescue.

I agree though... whilst Thais will be naturally biased towards other Thais... they will still judge their own kind and decide, which side to stand on accordingly. They are not that delusional that they would never see that a fellow-Thai has done something wrong/unethical... plenty of cases where Thais are ashamed at what a fellow Thai has done and tries to make up for it accordingly.

And likewise for farangs... I'm sure plenty of farangs have been somewhat embarrassed by their fellow countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    I agree though... whilst Thais will be naturally biased towards other Thais... they will still judge their own kind and decide, which side to stand on accordingly. They are not that delusional that they would never see that a fellow-Thai has done something wrong/unethical... plenty of cases where Thais are ashamed at what a fellow Thai has done and tries to make up for it accordingly.
    Agreed, BL.

Nobody here has suggested that you "cannot trust a thai person" or "that Thai people will always side with other Thai people regardless of circumstances". I cannot understand why someone would deliberately encourage others to "take the risks" when those risks are apparently as real as they are easily avoidable, but that is nothing new.

My point, which I thought was very clear, was two-fold. Firstly, that anyone saying that they can "take care of myself" was being dangerously delusional, particularly if they had been on the receiving end of direct threats of violence: if someone hits you on the back of the head with diec's baseball bat it doesn't matter whether you are a black belt 10th dan in origami or a computer nerd - you go down. Secondly, that the idea that "If worst ever comes to worst, I know enough Thais know to be comfortable with my own security" is equally stupid - they may or may not be there when a problem arises, and they may or may not take sides when weapons are involved, as they increasingly are and evidently were in past incidents involving Kim (Matt's bf). Taking anyone's assistance for granted, regardless of nationality, is simply naive.

Liked

Gone Fishing

Thats two posts you have made in this thread, where I 100% agree with you.

I think I need to lay down :tard:

Let's just cut through all of the flying shit here and reduce the problem presented that started this thread and the solution to the problem to a couple of sentences.

Anyone can can have a one time problem, but repeated same issue problems???? The author needs to get a mirror and stand in front of it until he figures out what he is doing wrong and commits to changing his behavior before he ends up dead in some alley.

In all of the years I have been coming here, staying here long time, riding a motor bike here, riding baht buses here, and generally fooling both day and night around in Pattaya I have never, never, never had a problem even close to the nature described. I do not know any one else who has had a problem as the author describes.

Wake up and change yourself before you are an article in the local news.

Liked

i would say as of late, all i seem to hear is about falangs having problems with extortion, or nasty thai people knocking at their doors, whether it be by the mafia or pretend cops, these facts are then backed up by the falang disappearing & leaving all his stuff in his room/condo.

This always has something to do with the sunee bars, in the last few years i have notice a dramatic increase in these horror stories (true events), try to have fun whatever you like to do, but be care
    i love you, i miss you.............. i lie you

Quote Originally Posted by Shuee
    i would say as of late, all i seem to hear is about falangs having problems with extortion.....then...the falang disappearing & leaving all his stuff in his room/condo.....This always has something to do with the sunee bars...
    You're right - when it has something to do with the Boyztown bars the falang leaves his fingers and money behind (allegedly).

:hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

Liked

Matt
    Pace Brad, there's a difference between taking a risk and sticking your head in the mangle. There are reasons why all the old farts on here have grown old. One of them is we haven't got ourselves killed yet.
    Once you've paid up to these people, it's very hard to break the cycle without making them lose face. If, for the sake of example, one of them has said to a friend "here comes Matt - he's always good for a thousand" and saunters up to you with his hand out, he can't walk away both without money and also without losing face - however you try to manage the refusal.
    You mentioned a while back you and Kim were thinking of relocating to Khon Khaen. Now might be a good time to give it an extended trial.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Shuee
    i would say as of late, all i seem to hear is about falangs having problems with extortion, or nasty thai people knocking at their doors, whether it be by the mafia or pretend cops, these facts are then backed up by the falang disappearing & leaving all his stuff in his room/condo.

This always has something to do with the sunee bars, in the last few years i have notice a dramatic increase in these horror stories (true events), try to have fun whatever you like to do, but be care
    This always has to do with Sunee bars? And you have noticed a dramatic increase of horror stories? Funny this seems like typical bull shit that should be disregarded at once.

Last September English Bravo channel aired an eight hour documentary series called "Big Trouble in Thailand" and I do not recall a single horror story they filmed which had to do with Sunee. They had some really wild shit on that series too! Problems in Pattaya? Yes. No problems in Sunee. And these guys were out prowling around looking for horrors to film. What happened? The fact of the matter is that very few bad things ever happen in Sunee.
    http://www.bravo.co.uk/shows/big-trouble-in-thailand/

As far as sex destinations go in the world today, Sunee is pretty mild. If you can't handle what goes on in Sunee, then you may as well pack it in and move to an uninhabited island or go live in a convent. That's my advice to the wusses here.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay
    You mentioned a while back you and Kim were thinking of relocating to Khon Khaen. Now might be a good time to give it an extended trial.
    That's actually happening in a couple days. Due to the constant death threats from his ex-roommate, Kim's been back home for a little under three weeks. I stayed behind due to my work schedule, as I wanted to finish up a couple projects first, because I know I'm going to lose a week or two of work once I go there. That's why I've been posting like an erratic, drunken jackass lately. When I'm alone, extremely busy with work, with not much to look forward to, the whiskey tends to pour a little easier.

Things took a little longer than hoped, so Kim was going to come down a couple days ago, so we could be together. He's still in contact with the ex-roommate though, so for some stupid reason, actually told him that he was coming back to Pattaya for a bit. So sure enough, the death threats once again ensued, and now Kim can't come. So I'll finish up a bit of work, and head up there.

Let's just hope Kim is actually genuine, and my doubts are unfounded, as I've heard all the horror stories the same as you guys. If this isn't a genuine relationship, and Kim is just looking to take advantage of, and manipulate me, it's going to happen when I'm staying in his moobaan. If I had to bet on it, I'd say it's genuine, but I guess I'll find out in a few days. I hope I don't get hurt, because as you guys know, my heart's already pretty open to him. I'm pretty sure it will be fine though.

I'm not worried about the idiots in Sunee, and sorry about originally posting about it. I just assumed that most regulars to Sunee would have experienced similar, especially the ones who live in Pattaya. Or you probably have, but just aren't posting about it. The ex-roommate I am a bit worried about, and have no idea how to handle that one. He seems absolutely hell bent on ensuring Kim and myself break-up, and it's for no reason other than pure jealousy, He's just pissed that Kim showed up in Pattaya for a few weeks, and ended up with a quality farang who's willing to go into it for the long-run with him, while after years he's still stuck doing short-time's for 1000 baht.

I don't know, I guess time will tell. Pom mai luu, pom mai luu...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

You have doubts?... I hope they're unfounded.

Good luck with the move.