List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with extortionists?

Liked

Re: How do you deal with extortionists?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Ok, so no stories or advice at all,
    Hey,what about mine?I wrote a story.I gave the guy an "in" by having sex with him,so my bad.I was thinking with the wrong head I guess.

Liked

If you associate with riff raff, expect problems.

Quote Originally Posted by goji
    If you associate with riff raff, expect problems.

The voice of experience.

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Liked

I have been visiting pattaya for 6 weeks a year for the last 9 years

Have never had any threats or extortions either
    Buffalo me die! Send Money!

For anyone who's been in Pattaya for a while, I'm sure we've all had to deal with someone trying to extort us for some reason or another. Usually it's under the threat of getting the shit kicked out of you, if not killed. For me at least, it's usually for absolutely no reason whatsoever, except that I'm white.
    Matt,

I've lived in and around Pattaya for 17 years and came here on holiday for a few years before that. Like everyone else who has replied here with their actual experience of living here, which you dismiss out of hand, I have never had any of the experiences you mention nor do I know anyone who has - I do know a few peope who have been mugged, hwever, as I would expect to in any city/town of a similar size and rocket's experence is both different and credible. The idea that it is simply because you are "white", in a city where any violent crime against whites is given far more attention than similar incidents limited to locals simply demonstrates quite how out of touch you are with things here (and possibly generally).

I would not disagree with BL's description of Pattaya as a "nut town", and it certainly has more than its fair share of Thai and farang scum, but it is simply not as you have painted it in general. If things are as bad as you say then, as others have said, you need to have a long, hard and careful look at all those you associate with and to ask yourself what and who could be causing this - do you really know them as well as you think you do? My own feeling is that you don't and that you are simply taking your problems with you from one place to another, which will solve nothing.

Don't worry, I can take care of myself. If worst ever comes to worst, I know enough Thais know to be comfortable with my own security. Well, unless the BIB decides to fuck with me. Then I'm screwed, but that's the same with everyone on the board.
    Matt,

no offence but you sound as if you are totally out of your depth and have no idea of your own limitations, mental or physical, and even less idea of the sort of people you are mixing with. I have no doubt that although I am twice your age and it is a long time since I had to "take care of myself" that I am far more capable of doing so than you. Despite that, I would never imagine that I can "take care of myself" here in the sort of situations you describe, drunk or sober - while one person can take on a group in the movies it simply does not happen like that in real life. Even if you held the world 100m sprint record (you don't - you're "white", remember) which would give you the best way out, no-one can outrun a bullet.

I doubt very much if you do know "enough Thais ... to be comfortable with your own security". If you do, then you are mixing in very dangerous circles indeed; if, on the other hand, you imagine that the dogs and Thais who "like" you because you buy them drinks and pass the time of day with them would or even could help you in the situations you describe then you need to wake up to reality and, as I suspected when I first replied to you some months ago, you really do need a nanny to take care of you.

Liked

I remember the guy that used to work the Yellow Chairs got into a tangle last year defending his DVD patch or something like that, the next day he was stabbed to death with one of the spikes from the umbrellas.

Liked

I always walk around with a baseball bat. When anyone try's to extort money from me, I stick the bat out at arms length, twirl around very fast and who's ever head I smash, so be it. Word has gotten around that I am not to be messed with. After taking this recourse with several extortion attempts, the extortionists have decided to take on easier prey and I am now extortion free!

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by romania
    Don't worry, I can take care of myself. If worst ever comes to worst, I know enough Thais know to be comfortable with my own security. Well, unless the BIB decides to fuck with me. Then I'm screwed, but that's the same with everyone on the board.
    Matt that is the most dangerous thought you can harbour.

As G/F implies if you get into any real difficulty which involves physical violence between you and Thais guess whose side your Thai friends will take?

Thinking for one moment that your Thai friends-especially the type of characters you appear to be hanging out with- are going to be your protectors is just down right stupid.
    If you think that Thai people will always side with other Thai people regardless of circumstances, then you are not only wrong but incredibly insulting to the populace of Thailand. If you genuinely believe that, I cannot conceive why you live in this country. Presumably that means that you live in a cocoon of expats in which you, and others with the same viewpoint, only have Thais as servants and sex objects, as you apparently believe that they are incapable of genuine friendship. Are you so desparate for sex, and have so little sense of self worth?

There have been many many occasions over the years when I have been helped by Thai people when I had a problem with other Thais. Help given out of pure friendship or goodwill. The most vivid and early experience was when, during the early days of Soi Four in Bangkok, I had inadvertently given offence to the caretaker of the soi, whose son and several of the neighbourhood thugs then backed me up against a shop front. Word that I had a problem got back to the owner of one of the bars on the soi, who I had known for six months or so and considered a friend, and he appeared running down the soi whirling a sword above his head, which somewhat distracted the thugs.

As I understood later (my thai was not yet good enough to understand the conversation), he told the guys that anyone who wanted to fight me should fight him first. When they demurred he told them that I was a friend who would never have intentionally insulted the caretaker. Accordingly I apologised for any offence inadvertently given, and I never had any problem with the thugs again. The bar owner had no need to intervene, and gained no benefit. It would have been easy for him to have ignored the news that I had a problem.

I saw some of the thugs many times over the years as they moved up their individual gangster ladders around Patpong. They waved and remembered my name long after I had forgotten theirs.

The cynics on this board are so self deluded that they can't see that there is a value, if you choose it, in exposing yourself a little. They are so terrified of loss that it seems that they cannot trust a thai person. If your priority is to insulate yourself from pain, you are also insulating yourself from so much that can be wonderful.

So Matt, read the old biddies on the board, and wonder how they have reached this shuttered and cynical state of mind? I think that they followed their own advice!! Take the risks, enjoy the gains, and keep your wits about you. As to how to minimize the "extortions", or aggressions. Don't give in, don't back down, but do so in a way which allows the aggressor to keep their face.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I have lived in Pattaya for five years and the only time I felt I was "ripped" off baht-wise was when I took a motorbike taxi from the blokes in front of Walking Street to the area of Day NIght Hotel around midnight. I was having him drop me off at some club nearby and the strange thing was---- he stopped in the middle of a dark section of the block instead of where the club was. He asked for 200 baht and I refused ;for I assumed it was 40 baht when the "leader of the pack" earlier had said 40 baht. ONce I said no, the mofia looking motorbike driver surprisingly became angry and held up his arm as if he was going to hit me... At the time, I thought it was better to pay the 200 baht; for if I ran away (I am a jogger) his cronies and he could chase me. After a few minutes, I felt like a big whimp for giving in to the bastard who probably does this trick to many of his riders late at night... As one lives in Pattaya (or any big city) you slowly learn the con jobs that the scum life will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    The BIB only fuck with people who are guilty of something. At least, that is true in 99.999% of cases I have ever heard of.
    Then you clearly haven't been reading this board where, over the years, many cases have been mentioned where entirely innocent people have been creatively leant on by the BIB for a cash contribution.
    Almost everything in Thailand that would be legal in the West (sex, drugs, rock'n'roll) is either illegal or borderline legal with lots of opportunities for creative interpretations of how to comply. There are lots of vested interests in keeping it that way.