List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you deal with extortionists?

Liked

Re: How do you deal with extortionists?

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickhead
    You serious? This kind of shiz is common in Pattaya? How lovely.
    Ohhh, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could go on for pages, and pages, just like I'm sure many people on this board could too. This is one fucked up city, that's for sure.
    Nothing like this has ever happened to me in Hua Hin, over 3 years of living here.
    I don't recall anyone who lives in Pattaya having described experiences such as you relate (either on the Board, or in person)... and I'm absolutely certain they would if it had of happened.

I agree with you that Pattaya can probably be described as somewhat fucked up ~ you can thank the sex tourist industry for that ~ but I think you hang out with a lot of the wrong dudes ... never a great idea in a fucked up city.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

For anyone who's been in Pattaya for a while, I'm sure we've all had to deal with someone trying to extort us for some reason or another. Usually it's under the threat of getting the shit kicked out of you, if not killed. For me at least, it's usually for absolutely no reason whatsoever, except that I'm white.

It's only happened to me a few times now. One time we hid like cowards, but that was kind of justified, as Kim was getting death threats many times a day due to jealousy. Then the other times it's just some dick who says I owe him money. I won't have the slightest clue who the guy is, but he'll tell me I owe him some small amount like 500 or 1000 baht, or else he'll box me. Thankfully during those times, I've always known someone who likes me, who also knows that person, so will talk to them for me.

So it's never actually caused a problem yet, but I'm sure eventually my luck's going to run out. How do you guys deal with that? And of course, any good stories to share? I'm sure lots of you guys have many of them. :-)

OP sounds like you should be more careful where and with whom you associate!

Liked

For anyone who's been in Pattaya for a while, I'm sure we've all had to deal with someone trying to extort us for some reason or another. Usually it's under the threat of getting the shit kicked out of you, if not killed. For me at least, it's usually for absolutely no reason whatsoever, except that I'm white.
    I just finished discussing this with a few friends of mine Matt, two of whom have lived within blocks of Sunee Plaza for 15 years now. Nothing even remotely similar to what you have described has ever happened to any us.

It seems you are revealing more about yourself than what you project onto the Thai people or society.

You should begin to seriously question what it is in you that is provoking such extreme reactions in others. Don't look to your boyfriend for solutions to your dilemma since that could very well lead you even further astray.

Liked

After visiting Pattaya up to three times annually for the past 17 years, I can also say that nothing like this has ever happened to me. I have to agree that it sounds like there is something about the original poster's manner of interacting with people - or his inability to see early warning signs of trouble - that is provoking such situations.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Liked

This is one fucked up city, that's for sure.
    It is more likely that you are one fucked up person.

Liked: 1

I've always known someone who likes me, who also knows that person, so will talk to them for me.

Sounds like a set up to me by someone who likes you and knows that person. When that someone gets you out of the situation do you give him anything? !!!!!!

Like a blackmail, if you pay once they always come back for more.
    Don't try to hold in farts - they travel up your spine and into your brain and that is where shitty ideas come from.

Liked

Ok, so no stories or advice at all, and instead just a bunch of cut-downs. Who would have thought, eh? No, I don't think I do anything to provoke it at all. Ok, with Kim's death threats, that was somewhat understandable. That was just his ex-roommate being jealous because Kim had a good falang, and he didn't, and was stuck working as a go-go boy. His reasoning for being pissed off was idiotic, but at least understandable.

As for the others, I have no idea. For example, one time I was sitting at the Thai whiskey stall just as your entering Sunee, on the left hand side of the street. I frequent it quite a bit now, because I know everyone there, the owner likes me, the dogs like me, etc. It's great! One time I was just sitting there, and some guy comes up, and asks for money for food. I tell him no, I don't have any, and he tells me later I better give him 500 baht or else. Really, that kinda thing doesn't happen to you guys?

I see that type of shit all the time. Most of the time it doesn't affect me, because I'm falang, but every once in a while it'll come my way.

Quote Originally Posted by allieb
    Sounds like a set up to me by someone who likes you and knows that person. When that someone gets you out of the situation do you give him anything? !!!!!!
    No, no... believe it or not, there are actually people out there who like me, and think I'm a good guy. Actually what it is, is the fact that everyone knows I love one person, only him, and will never cheat on him. That actually goes over really well with everyone. :-) And no, I haven't given them anything. For example, with the last person, she has a husband, two kids, good job, etc. She doesn't want or need anything from me.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

I can only think that you are more friendly in demeanour, more relaxed in disposition, and possibly have your guard up a little less, than some of those other posters who have not had this experience.

It's like the guys getting stopped by Indian tailors who treat strangers as if they are their long lost friends. Some passers by feel it is rude to completely cut them, and stop at least to explain that they don't want a suit, whereas others treat the open hand as if it belonged to a man with the plague. I started in the first category and graduated over time into the latter category.

Or it's like the drunk or the loonie on a train, who is talking to himself. Every one is worried that he is going to approach them, and start on their defence mechanisms of being very very interested in their book or newspaper, to suddenly losing consciousness in a deep sleep, or being completely fascinated by the countryside passing outside the window. Anything rather than catch the eye of the drunk! Yet the drunk in some almost primeval and subconscious way judges which of his fellow passengers is a good target.

It sounds like the same thing is happening to you. It's not a bad thing to be judged open and approachable. There is a small downside that you have described, but that is not a large price to pay. As I have read your posts, I understand someone relatively new to Thailand, treating Thai people with respect whatever their profession or past, enjoying his experience of Thailand and determined to do right by friends and boyfriend.

This will give you a different demeanour to someone who has developed a thicker skin and sharper defence mechanism, built up over time, or someone who may have never been quite as open to new experiences as you were and are.

Liked

Good post, Brad. I don't know that the downside is quite that small - especially when a chancer starts pestering his victim on a regular basis - but overall you strike a very sympathetic tone and if you have nudged the OP into being a bit firmer when the occasion demands it then so much the better.
    [i]There is a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach,
    But alas I cannot swim.
    [/i]
    - From an early-19th-century Pashtun marching song

Forum's veteran
    Liked

What a nut town...

But yeah... you sound like a nice guy... and sometimes that attracts some undesirable intentions.