List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review Mosaik and Baan Dok Mai pattaya.

Liked

Review Mosaik and Baan Dok Mai pattaya.

Although on my recent visit to Thailand i travelled around... i did set up a base in Pattaya for 19 days.

I arrived from Bkk with no reserved accommodation for the first time ever... because i was not certain of staying at my friends home in Khon Kaen and Petchabun and for how long and it is low season and so i didn't expect to have a problem if i required a hotel or guesthouse stay.

I called Baan Dok Mai on my way from Bkk and they had a large room available. I stayed there for 2 days at first while i looked around... i usually stay at Flamingo.. which i really like.. but there were going to be some days i would not be staying in the accommodation and wanted to keep a room with my belongings while i went away for a night or two elsewhere........ so i looked for an apartment which was a combination of nice and large but reasonable price.. which i found in Mosaik Apartments day/night 2 across from Flamingo.

Bann Dok Mai is a very nice and reasonably priced place to stay. I extended my first two days with another two while i waited for my Mosiak room to become vacant. The owners were very accommodating.. nothing was too much trouble.. the room itself was nice and large with two balconies one overlooking the main soi and one the side soi. The bathroom was fine.. all the fittings in the room were new.. tv had also dvd player which was good. tea/coffee available in the room.. a room safe.... nice tiled floor and all for only Bt850 per night.

Mosaik was ideal for me. At flamingo i usually have a suite..which is two rooms.. one for sleeping and a lounge area. Mosaik apartment was more luxurious with very large bedroom with nice bathroom off..and very large living area with very comfortable sofas ...kitchen area [i never cook.. but it is somewhere to lay out any bought-in food]...table and chairs for dining.. room safe.. nice balcony overlooking soi 2 DayNight..

I like the convenience of coming and going without having to go to a reception every time.. i had two keys so my friend and i could come and go at any time.. the front door key also fits the room door and is small so no problem for carrying around.

I only had to buy a small kettle for a couple of hundred baht and a table fan as there was only aircon[two units] and the fan can be used on the balcony as there are electric points there which is great as it was very warm/humid..the fan was only Bt399 and my friend will use it in his home when i go home.

I really couldn't find any negatives about mosaik.. the warnings i had seen about the sky-high electricity and water charges seemed unfounded in my opinion.
    I checked the meter readings at the start and end of my stay with the receptionist.. for 15 nights with aircon running alot it was Bt1400 and the water Bt127.
    The cost for the 2 room Luxury apartment with front facing balcony was Bt12,000 for 15 nights [+Bt5000 deposit from which i got Bt2400 returned].

I had the apartment cleaned by Mosaik only 3 -4 times as it was easily kept with the lovely tiled floors... even when i'm in the flamingo i dont have the room cleaned every day... sometimes i just like a laze about if it has been a late night previous and if i have company it is great just to ly about in underwear and tshirt sometimes, watch a movie, listen to music, karaoke vcd and get to know your friend better.

Both Baan Dok Mai and Mosaik do not have reception to keep id cards... no problem for me as i know most of my visitors from previous visits and i dont take boys in the 'questionable age bracket'... but if you take younger looking boys there is no double check for ids so you would have to be careful.

And to anyone who reads this and likes younger boys and thinks because you have your own key it is easy to come and go with any age of boy.. i would urge anyone not to try it at Mosaik.. there are security going about all the time as well as many other guests and it is a busy area with Tukcom on the doorstep so there will always be someone who would see you come and go as well as straight guests who seem to be even more nosy than gay guests.

If you are into that kind of thing stick to sunee...at least everyone knows the score there... and it saves those of us who do not like to be tarred with the same brush worrying about association because we stay in the same accommodation... that is why i prefer to stay outside the sunee area.

I would definitely recommend both Mosaik and Baan Dok Mai.

Liked

Alaan i agree

Hi Alaan, that was a very good report you posted. I stayed at Mosaic appts about 2 years ago now and found the rooms very good. I first had a front room simalar too your room, and was very happy with it. I went to Chaing Mai for about 10 days after that and returned to Pattaya and tried to get the same type of room but as i had not booked they were all taken however they had a back room which thou being just a single room was also nice and was only about 430bt a night. I always said i would stay again.
    I tried via their website to get a booking last year but never got a reply from them after sending in the form. So i gave up and went to another hotel instead. But i would still go back again.
    I spoke into his eyes. " I thought you died a long,-- a long long time ago".
    " OH NO! not me, i never lost control, your face to face with the Man who sold the world"

Liked

Mosaik Apartments: Soi Day Night 2

I, too, have stayed at Mosaik for the past couple of years for a few months at a time. Several of my friends have also stayed there and the experiences have always been pleasant. I like having a home away from home and Mosaik is a great home base for me. The security guys are fun in the evenings and they do watch whoтАЩs coming in and out everytimeтАжeven when you think they are not watching. Several of my friends are planning to return later this year and, once again, Mosaik will be our home base.

The only problems I have with Mosaik is the lack of a fitness center and swimming pool. When I was there earlier this year they were doing some construction to add even more apartments and villas. I cannot wait to get back to Pattaya see their improvements.
    Keep your Twinkie in the wrapper or your cream may cause trouble.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    My maniac BF and I stayed at Baan Dal Mai for a while last April and enjoyed it. As stated, the rooms are spacious, well appointed, and maintained to the highest standards. The owner and staff at BDM are great.

I checked out Mosaic but didn't like the ambiance. Too many rooms and long hallways for me. I felt like I was back at home checking into a Radisson.

Ban Dak Mai gets my vote. Their rooms are 30% larger than Flamingo's - at 30% lower costs. Their breakfasts are just as good as Renoir's, except they don't have those little brass bells on the table. I guess those are for the older folks who may suffer a heart attack or something while munching on their toast.

Liked
    Your report is very timely

I have an older friend who wants a condo with a lift, in preference to being on the ground floor, he has been trying to find the website.

He was looking for mosaic, so your post is very helpful. Wrong spelling.

He is under the impression the security have cctv available of all entrances, even though they are not seen patrolling .

Here is the url for those who might be interested as well.

http://www.mosaikpattaya.com/
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

In repy.

To Jolyjacktar. I agree that some of the reservation forms attached to hotel websites for some reason seem to take ages to get a reply. A few years ago i used the Karnmanee Hotel form and it was a total hassle.. so ever since then i never use the forms.. if i am contacting Tarntawan, Flamingo etc i always look up their email address from their websites or use the previous correspondence email address.. for Mosaik i use info@mosaikpattaya.com and had a reply after one day.

To Dodger. I'm not sure about the ambiance of Mosaik.. for me there is no ambiance to like or dislike.. it is ambiance neutral.. it is not like a hotel like Flamingo, tarntawan etc where there is a reception and therefore you have interaction with staff and other guests (whether you want to or not) as all use the reception to hand in keys or wait for keys etc.. but Mosaik has no reception (except when you move in and depart).. to me it didn't feel like a hotel of any kind. It is divided into three units.. A,B and C each having their own entrance... so for me it didn't seem vast.. maybe it was because my room was the first on the 2nd floor and i didn't have to go along long corridors.

As for Baan Dok Mai if you do go through the reception area i agree that the owners are great guys to chat with.. plenty of advice if required and so polite.. and the food is fine at their restaurant...... but as with Mosaik.. after about 6pm there is no reception and you have to use the side door with your own key... and in the 4 days i stayed there i never passed or saw another person coming or going after 8pm... so it seemed quite private also.

To Lonleywombat.. You can tell your friend that the lifts are very good and spacious (if you have alot of luggage).. and the security do patrol.. i bumped into the guys when i was coming to and from my room on many occasions. It does seem like all they do is sit outside and smoke.. but there are a few of them.. and i noticed they are always wondering around.

And with regards to visitors..if someone comes to the outside door and rings your room... you have a monitor in your room beside the telephone so you can see and speak to your visitor..then you have to go down to the front door to let them in.. you cannot press a button which opens the front door from your room.. you have to go down. This has plus and minus.. minus is the hassle of going down to the front door esp if you are not ready dressed but it does give a greater feeling of security that no one can just randomly wonder in.

With regard to one aspect of Mosaik versus hotels.. one thing i did like was the freedom for my guests not to have to go to or register and id at reception. I have many friends who do not work in the bar trade and for who i feel awkward for being asked for an id card at reception.... true at the Flamingo it was never a problem because i stayed there for many years and the responsibility was accepted by me not have have id cards kept at reception except when it suited me. But i did enjoy the greater feeling of freedom at Mosaik.

Liked
    Alaan

My 81yo friend rang and asked me to say thank you He reads this forum but never posts

Two additional questions to your excellent post

He does like to cook in his room . Can he hire utensils or must he buy

He went to an italian coffee shop next door last visit. Almost died from cigarette smoke. The owner and his cronies were to blame. Has it changed since the new rules?

Is it possible to hire a taximeter by the hour. He can walk to Sunee but cannot travel by baht bus or motor bike anywhere else

Please keep these excellent reviews coming . It is what this forum is all about

Liked

in relpy

lonleywombat.

To be truthfull i can't actually remember exactly what was in the kitchen cupboards.... as i don't bother cooking myself i only looked as far as the first cupboard which contained plates, cutlery, cups and glasses i think for 6 people. Even these i ditched after the first 2-3 days in favour of disposable glasses and paper plates from friendship which cost only a few baht. Pure laziness on my behalf as i couldn't be bothered washing dishes while on holiday.
    So i never checked availability of cookware. Also i'm not sure if all appartments have the same utensils or not. Virtually all our food came from Wat Chai market stalls.

Also not sure about the Italian coffee shop as i was never in it. When i did crave some farang food i always went to Googies(maybe every 4-5 days).

With regards to meter taxi..anytime i have needed a taxi.. i usually just use the same transport the boys class as a taxi which is a songtaew on private hire.
    If there were 4-5 of us going to Hollywood or Dudes or Cumpun we just flagged down an empty songtaew and negotiated a price..usually Bt100 to Hollywood and BigC area..if raining the price was usually Bt150. But I have used a songtaew before as a taxi to jomtien and you can just jump in beside the driver.. which should be ok for your friend.. again you have to negotiate but if you are on your own maybe about Bt50.. as the driver can pick up fares on way back.

Liked

Re: in relpy

Quote Originally Posted by Alaan
    lonleywombat.

With regards to meter taxi..anytime i have needed a taxi.. i usually just use the same transport the boys class as a taxi which is a songtaew on private hire.
    If there were 4-5 of us going to Hollywood or Dudes or Cumpun we just flagged down an empty songtaew and negotiated a price..usually Bt100 to Hollywood and BigC area..if raining the price was usually Bt150. But I have used a songtaew before as a taxi to jomtien and you can just jump in beside the driver.. which should be ok for your friend.. again you have to negotiate but if you are on your own maybe about Bt50.. as the driver can pick up fares on way back.
    He has a knee problem and cannot get on a bike or climb into a songtaew. He can walk to Sunee but any further he has to wait for a baht bus with no one in the passenger seat beside the driver. Many of them have their wife as passenger collecting the fare, so it is not easy.

Forum's veteran
    Liked
    the studios at Mosaik can be a bit grim if you get one at the back like I had to in a hurry once-and look down on an empty space between buildings where a very large dead rat lay for the whole week.

But the advantage of a private entrance is great-even if like me you only do entirely legal things but have a permanent guilt complex !

And the price is pretty good.

You know the whole complex is owned by the very handsome Thai man who runs the office-a gift from his German lover-all in his name. Something you can point out to your Thai boyfriend what can happen if thry are very well behaved. :cheers:

(although the downside as a farang friend of mine has discovered upon marrying his b/f in London and returning to Pattaya-the lad has gotten extremely fat over the past 4 years)
    I'm only a light drinker. When it's daylight I drink.