List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Go Go Boy who turned down money...

Liked

The Go Go Boy who turned down money...

I've been visiting Pattaya for many years and enjoy "offing" Go Go Boys, usually to a Short Time Hotel sometimes to my own hotel.

I've remained on good terms with many ex Go Go Boys and have never had bad experience as some seem to. I'm careful to talk to the boy in the bar before I "off" him and the fact that I speak basic Thai helps. I like to take photos and always check with the boy in the bar first if that will be OK.

So I'm experienced and well aware of most of the scams but a few days ago I was taken by surprise by an unusual piece of behaviour.

I "offed" a very shy and very cute boy in a "Boys Town" bar and we went to a short time room. I'll call him "A". I paid him afterwards for what had been a really excellent time and he seemed pleased and happy as well. I said I would "off" him again the next night and would email him the photos which he posed for beautifully.

The same happened the next night except that after we'd finished I took "A" to "Copa" as he'd not seen the show. I know one of the dancers from years ago when he was a Go Go Boy and he joined us after the show and sat with us for a drink.

When I came to leave I gave my friend some money, for old time's sake, and then offered the same to "A" for the extra time I'd spent with him compared with the previous evening. He refused, instantly, which I could see staggered my old friend.

Everything I'd learned about "A" suggested that he was a very genuine and totally honest young man but the cynic in me couldn't help trying to work out what was coming next. Some new scam perhaps?

I "offed" him three more times and he never pressed me for more money. I can't get the thought of him turning down money out of my head. After all it's how he earns his living and I don't think I overpaid him and certainly wouldn't have begrudged him more.

I can't see that I breached any subtle piece of Thai etiquette so I wonder why he was so adamant that he didn't want anymore money.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: The Go Go Boy who turned down money...

Maybe he likes you.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Perhaps he thought that he could pass for something more than a one night off in Copa(as it turned out he was a five night off). By paying him in front of others you diminished his status, which he restored by refusing your money. Your dancer friend could accept the money, as it was apparent that it was a present rather than a payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala
    Perhaps he thought that he could pass for something more than a one night off in Copa(as it turned out he was a five night off). By paying him in front of others you diminished his status, which he restored by refusing your money. Your dancer friend could accept the money, as it was apparent that it was a present rather than a payment.
    Sounds plausible, but doesn't explain why the boy continued to refuse payment for the three subsequent "offs" when dancer boy (and I think I know exactly who THAT is) patently wasn't around.

I'm certain it wasn't because he was overpaid on the first night - such an overpayment would more likely lead to an expectation of the same overpayment every time!

It would be great to think that the boy took a shine to the OP, but that doesn't normally extend to refusing to be paid!

An intriguing tale.

:happy7: :happy7: :happy7:

Sounds about right Brad, taking money in front of others could well have caused a complete loss of face for the guy especially if he was new to the game.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy

Sounds plausible, but doesn't explain why the boy continued to refuse payment for the three subsequent "offs" when dancer boy (and I think I know exactly who THAT is) patently wasn't around.
    I understood, perhaps incorrectly, that on the three subsequent offs standard payments were made, but that the anticipated scam did not arrive. Therefore the issue of money refusal was limited to the one occasion?

Liked

Perhaps he's just a devout Buddhist who believes in karma. :dontknow:

Liked

If I understand correctly he had already been paid for the normal service and was so new in town (and so nice) so he appreciated to be taken out to Copa as a guest of yours and not only be taken to a room....

[quote="Brad the Impala"

I understood, perhaps incorrectly, that on the three subsequent offs standard payments were made, but that the anticipated scam did not arrive. Therefore the issue of money refusal was limited to the one occasion?[/quote]

Possibly.

It's ambiguous .

:happy7: :happy7:

I'm not a fellow who 'offs' many guys or girls, but I have been around Thailand since '98 and have many Thai friends (from all walks of life) and I really think that Brad is correct. You know, since this guy had been 'offed' on several occasions, he probably felt that he was attending the show more as a friend and whatever drinks were bought, etc, was payment enough and a complete aside from your previous business arrangements. It's hard to say for sure...