Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thai boys sure get around...

Liked

Re: Thai boys sure get around...

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Bunny
    cdnmatt wrote:
    Weird thing is, you'll almost never hear a Thai boy saying they liked the foreign country more than Thailand. They'll basically always love Thailand more.

On the flip side, lots of us are extraditing to Thailand to live a better life. Yet, the Western world is supposed to the place for a great, happy, fulfilling and successful life. Go figure, eh?
    It takes a while for them to get used to the new country.The food and weather will never be what they're used to. I know many Filippinos here in America who think this is the richest country in the world,they dont realise its all barrowed and we owe trillions of dollars. They love it here after the initial shock of it all,but they reminisce about their country,their families and culture. I think they would bring over their family and cousins if they could. On the other hand,would we want to bring our relatives with us to asia to live with us? Ha ha,I dont think so.

Liked

Thais remind me of Newfies (people from Newfoundland, Canada). Trying to get a newfie to move off the rock is next to impossible. They might go check out the world a little bit, but almost no matter what, will always end up back on the rock.

Same type of thing with Thais. They're more than happy being Thai, and love their country, which is good. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    Weird thing is, you'll almost never hear a Thai boy saying they liked the foreign country more than Thailand. They'll basically always love Thailand more.

You're rather missing the point... maybe you will never hear a Thai boy in Pattaya saying he prefers another country, that's why they are still in Pattaya.

My Thai friends who actually live in the UK love it here and without exception have no plans to return to Thailand in the future. Most speak English fluently and have family (or friendly in-laws) here. In the case of my partner and me, we thankfully also have two Thai restaurants and a Thai supermarket on our street.

Thais do love their country and their national identity, but it is undermined by a virtual caste system and Chinese hegemony. It is easy for a Thai boy especially from North East and Southern provinces (or as a Thai Muslim, or ethnic minority like Hmong or Akka) to feel like a second-class citizen in Bangkok. Moreover, in the past few years there have been huge numbers of intelligent Thai graduates struggling to get even menial jobs (admittedly it's the same in England at the moment!).

Life in Europe and North America can be very liberating for those Thais who have the courage and the opportunity.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Sounds like there might be a pub in your road with the name of a famous general............