Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Issan dancers

Liked

Issan dancers

I'm sure we've all seen some Issan music here and there. Singer or two, with a bunch of dancers behind him / her, right? They travel all throughout Northern Thailand as a group performing, etc. I'm curious, has anyone here ever been close to one of the dancers, and if so, could you by chance provide any insight as to the lifestyle that leads? Just general info about the lifestyle, daily routine, etc. The farangs I've asked have no idea, and it's not something I'm comfortable asking the Thais I associate with. They'll know why I'm asking, so I can't expect an honest answer. Thais take care of their own, and all that.

And what happens if you get a job with a group when you're say 13 - 15yo? You're too young and small to be a dancer, so that's out. So what do you do? Take care of laundry, cleaning, dishes, pack clothes and equipment around, etc.? Or what happens? Or more bluntly, do you get passed around and/or sold for sex?

Any insight given would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Issan dancers

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    And what happens if you get a job with a group when you're say 13 - 15yo? You're too young and small to be a dancer, so that's out. So what do you do? Take care of laundry, cleaning, dishes, pack clothes and equipment around, etc.? Or what happens? Or more bluntly, do you get passed around and/or sold for sex?
    Nice.

Liked

The 'moving around' is not the norm, not the most common variety of Isaan music making.
    Most of it happens in set venues where the same musicians, singers and dancers are up on stage seven nights a week. There are dozens, probably hundreds of these places in Bangkok alone ... some small holes in the wall, some very large, and very packed halls seating great crowds.
    In Hua Hin there are three that I know of, and that's true of most Thai towns. Every town in the North East has at least one place where Isaan/Lao music and dancing, singing and food and gallons of whiskey and beer can be enjoyed.

There are 'travelling shows' but these are usually special events, getting huge crowds for the time they're in town, then they move on. Often these feature 'star singers', and they charge entrance fees. But these are not the norm.

Where you got the idea that 13 or 15 year old kids get 'passed around' for sex at either the former or the latter type of entertainment is beyond me.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles
    Where you got the idea that 13 or 15 year old kids get 'passed around' for sex at either the former or the latter type of entertainment is beyond me.
    His jerk-off fantasies, no doubt.

maybe its commonplace where he comes from?

Liked

There are 'travelling shows' but these are usually special events, getting huge crowds for the time they're in town, then they move on. Often these feature 'star singers', and they charge entrance fees. But these are not the norm.
    Yeah, yeah, he was in the traveling show. You know how every month or two in Pattaya they have a large Issan music festival by the driving range? He was in that type of show, except they only went through Issan mainly and the north west a bit, but never came down south.

Just me being human, not knowing, so naturally coming up with the worst possible conclusion. He does the same shit with me though. If I go out for a couple drinks with some people, or don't pick up my cell because I'm sleeping, obviously that means I'm having wild sex with my other Thai BF. I think he's even become somewhat friends with the security at Mosaik now, so if I ever do bring another boy home, he'll know about it. He gets pretty jealous and melodramatic about this shit.

Anyway, I have a pretty good idea of where he's coming from now though, but just trying to understand the best I can, that's all. I know he started working with the traveling show when he was too young to be a dancer. So either he hasn't told his friends what he was doing before dancing, or his friends won't tell me. Either way, I'm not allowed to know right now, so I'm assuming it's nothing too respectable. And it's not like I can just start asking personal questions (especially via a Thai translator), as getting too personal is a bit of a taboo in this part of the world.

Anyway, doesn't really matter, and thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt
    So either he hasn't told his friends what he was doing before dancing, or his friends won't tell me. Either way, I'm not allowed to know right now, so I'm assuming it's nothing too respectable. And it's not like I can just start asking personal questions (especially via a Thai translator), as getting too personal is a bit of a taboo in this part of the world.
    Taboo?? Its perfectly normal between friends! Thais do nothing but.

His friends are bound to tell him what you have been asking, if they have not already, so why not just ask him? Not everyone in these shows dances, etc, particularly in the travelling shows - some of the "stars" are far too precious to get their hands dirty putting up the stage, setting up the lights and speakers, selling ticketsand drinks, etc, so someone has to do it. There's no big secret about it (and no getting passed around either), so if there is a "secret" its got nothing to do with the "travelling show".

With all due respect, its difficult to know "where he's coming from now" if you don't yet know "where he's coming from".

Forum's veteran
    Liked

How's the language barrier going? I can't believe you're still having to communicate through translators LOL... hope you at least have basic English/Thai down pat now.

Just a thought ...

Just a though, Matt (and sometimes mine are good, sometimes they are crap, so make of it what you want!) but why not ask yourself why you want to know?

If its because you think he may have been "passed around and/or sold for sex" or "nothing too respectable" and you are "coming up with the worst possible conclusion", then so what?

Even in the extremely unlikely event that your worst fears are justified, should that change whatever relationship you have? Although some disagree with me, to most of those "in the business" here its a job, nothing more, better than some and worse than others. Pretty well the only time they are made to feel ashamed of what they are/were is when some "saviour" comes along and rescues them (nothing wrong so far) and then insists on telling them what a terrible time they have had and how disgusted they must be with themselves. Why? You can't change his past (which was probably far more mundane than you imagine), only his future.

I thought it was his future you were worrying about? If so, don't worry about his past as he will tell you as much or as little as you need to know. By the sound of it that is 6 years of education (6-13 years old), so if you/he are thinking of any sort of formal vocational/technical training that means at least 4 years of adult education before he can move on to it. At the moment it looks as if all he wants is a good time at your expense (not unreasonable for most 19 year olds!) so my advice would be forget about his past and, if you still want what you said you did, start looking together at what the options are for his future before he becomes a bit too settled into his present lifestyle .

Re: Just a thought ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Fishing
    Just a though, Matt (and sometimes mine are good, sometimes they are crap, so make of it what you want!) but why not ask yourself why you want to know?

If its because you think he may have been "passed around and/or sold for sex" or "nothing too respectable" and you are "coming up with the worst possible conclusion", then so what?

Even in the extremely unlikely event that your worst fears are justified, should that change whatever relationship you have? Although some disagree with me, to most of those "in the business" here its a job, nothing more, better than some and worse than others. Pretty well the only time they are made to feel ashamed of what they are/were is when some "saviour" comes along and rescues them (nothing wrong so far) and then insists on telling them what a terrible time they have had and how disgusted they must be with themselves. Why? You can't change his past (which was probably far more mundane than you imagine), only his future.

I thought it was his future you were worrying about? If so, don't worry about his past as he will tell you as much or as little as you need to know. By the sound of it that is 6 years of education (6-13 years old), so if you/he are thinking of any sort of formal vocational/technical training that means at least 4 years of adult education before he can move on to it. At the moment it looks as if all he wants is a good time at your expense (not unreasonable for most 19 year olds!) so my advice would be forget about his past and, if you still want what you said you did, start looking together at what the options are for his future before he becomes a bit too settled into his present lifestyle .

Couldn't agree more.....

:hello1: