Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Snippits from a recent Thailand visit.Sept17-Oct11

Liked

Snippits from a recent Thailand visit.Sept17-Oct11

Airport very quiet..no queue at immigration.....taxi meter from rank bt50 and meter on...but had to ask to be turned on....when the driver realised i knew the score it was a straight drive to OmYim guesthouse with no detours. so they are still 'trying it on' if not aware.

Had very large room at top of OmYim 4th floor...cases taken up no probs and stairs ok for me to come and go [treat as exercise] the top floor has rear fire escape and aslo ledges outside front with window easily opened...so ok for those concerned with fire problem. Room was fine not as much deterioration as i had expected since first opened....big room, fridge, microwave, plenty dishes cutlery etc...and room safe. My thai friend enjoyed the food there.

DJ station as packed as usual and i noticed some guys who previously worked in Pattaya there looking for customers. The guys i spoke to work in Barbeers in sunee and BTown and said business was better hanging around DJ than work in Pattaya just now...and can have a fun time as well with dancing etc.. no shortage of single farang. Tip for those who visit DJ infrequently and find it a hassle getting in at first and getting a drink... when u have paid bt200 entry...enter the usual entrance door and exit the door immediatly on the left..and go up the outside stairs on the left to access the bars much easier than fighting through the crowds on the lower floors. Also keep in mind for quick exit if nec...

G.O.D. was busy as usual after 2am and many guys looking for hook-ups.

I'm not a frequent visitor to soi 4...but went a couple of times and the Telephone and Balcony bars were very very busy..difficult to get table....good mix of farang, Asians and thais with plently of eye contact.

Soi Twilight was as usual beerbars fairly busy after 8pm and agogo doormen a total pain. Buying a bottle of beer a few months ago for the older doorman at the first agogo on the soi has worked wonders with the now lack of hassle from ALL the doormen in the soi... i enjoy the atmosphere at Maxis or the beerbar next door as well as the occasional massage at Bonny and Bangkok Boys in the soi...so i dont want to avoid it altogether...especially as i was in Bkk only for 4 days.

Once again I can recommend massages at both Bangkok boys and Bonny. Both places had nice selection of guys.

I only visited Classic and Xboys agogo.......only to see old friends and friends of my thai guy. Classic usual selection of nice twinky boys and x-boys also had an excellent selection of cute and handsome guys with a very good mix of types.

I only visited Solid once to see a friend for going to DJ and the selection of guys there was fairly disappointing if i had been looking to take off.

Stayed at Tarntawan for the 2 nights before my return flight..and it was up to the usual good standards.

Just a note about the departures at airport...again very quiet...but once you have cleared immigration..now..you are staight into the handluggage security area instead of at gate...this was actually quite handy to get it out of the way and also means u can buy drinks/liquids etc within the airport for taking on to plane that previously u had to bin at the gate.

Regret if i have duplicated any reviews of other posts on SGT but have not had time to go through and read all the posts yet. The post is long enough already so i'll post another on pattaya where we stayed a week and other bits and pieces...so if anyone has any specific questions relating to the current pattaya scene.....can ask/post here and i'll reply later.

Liked

Re: Snippits from a recent Thailand visit.Sept17-Oct11

I was at Suvarnabhumi last week and noticed that the meter taxi stand has moved to the ground floor. There's a lot more room and shorter lines. You still get a ticket/complaint form with the drivers name so there should be no problems with a driver not turning the meter on. Drivers sometimes like to ask for it, like there's something written on it they need to see, don't give it to them.

The web site is not updated, the new taxi area is where the map shows " Private bus" on the ground floor.

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/14
    E Dok Tong

Forum's veteran
    Liked

As Alaan mentioned in his post I also had uncomplicated arrival/departure experiences at Suvarnabhumi last month: most windows were open when I arrived, and only a few in each line. Both of my times were in the early afternoon.

Departing lines were also fairly short, with most windows staffed. I'd heard about the new security there but had forgotten about it so I was surprised to see the maze of cordoned posts set up to corral a planeload of departing visitors. When I went through there mid-day there were only three people waiting to go through the check point, so it was a breeze.

It always seems like quite a haul to and from the gates themselves - to this out of shape geezer, anyway - but overall I've certainly appreciated the new airport over the old Don Muang. I had occasion to use DM this last visit, also, and while it's not bad - just outdated - it can't hold a candle (or three with incense, depending on if one's making an offering or just flying through) to Suvarnabhumi.

Now, if they could only get the sky train to it completed! :cheers:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bao-bao
    Now, if they could only get the sky train to it completed! :cheers:
    The Post reported it will be open in April, 2010. That's open for regular passengers but there's an the official opening set for Dec 5th, you know who's birthday, but not open for business if that makes any sense. Word is the price is going to be set at 150B one way for the airport express.
    E Dok Tong

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Interesting... I wonder if the skytrain would actually decrease the travel time between the airport and Bangkok city.

If it's set at 150 baht it might not be worthwhile or attract many passengers... for another 200 baht ($7) you can get a taxi, which takes you and your baggage direct to your doorstep. many passengers (who don't live next to BTS stations) would still need a taxi on the other end.

60-100 baht would get more passengers onboard.

Liked

Yes, and you will have to pay for the BTS and/or MRT to your final destination. Good luck getting luggage on the BTS. It's packed and not not just at rush hour, the only way to get a seat is to get on at the end or beginning of the line. BTS seems more crowded than the MRT with many having to wait for a second train and the guards holding up passengers at the card readers as too many crowd on to a platform not designed for that many people.

I see farangs breeders with an incredible amount of luggage pushing, wheezing and lumbering around the airport. That's not going to load easily into anything.

I have also noticed that with the extension over the river the Silom line is slower than ever. It's a longer wait for a train and I notice trains stopping short of the bridge, I guess only one at a time over the river.

I see the City Terminal for the Airport express but can't see how traffic is going to move in and out. I guess it's wait and see how all this works out. I'll try it just out of curiosity.
    E Dok Tong

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I think if it increases travel time between the airport and Bangkok city (usually 40-50 mins) and costs anymore than 70 baht... few people will want to ride it.

If it decreases the travel time than this is another story. If it took only 20-30mins to get into the city people might be prepared to pay 100-150 baht... though I don't see how this is possible unless the skytrain has a more direct route than the highway. Skytrains don't go that fast. But taxis will happily fly along at 140kms/hr.

On my last trip the taxi got me from the Dusit Thani to the airport in 28 minutes...

i heard that during the testing of the train, it was going faster than the traffic along the adjacent motorway out near the airport.
    There will be an express train as well as an all-stops
    Premium-fare express services will run on the hour between Suvarnabhumi Airport and City Air Terminal, while the City Line service will stop at six local stations along the route.
    According to a preliminary study, the fare for an express trip will be Bt150 per person, while fares for the City Line commuter trips, will vary from Bt30-50 per passenger.
    http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/192
    Siemens Desiro trainsets, capable of speeds of up to 160 km/h, will be used, with Express journeys taking 15 minutes and Commuter trips 27 minutes.
    http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/141

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks Dave-Syd... that does sound promising. 15 mins for the express and 27 mins for the normal... though I wonder where the end of that line is. If there's still a heap of stations before reaching Silom it's not as much use. Much of the 40-min taxi ride is spend getting through the Bangkok traffic.

The express isn't as useful if it only runs once every hour.

the express service will terminate at the City terminal at Makkasan where you can change to the MRT at Petchaburi station, and get the MRT to Silom station.
    alternatively the commuter service (the all-stops) will continue on to the Phayathai where you can change to the BTS.