Quick navigation:
List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: Wondering when/who/why to 'wai'? Join the crowd ...

Liked

Wondering when/who/why to 'wai'? Join the crowd ...

Seems not only gay sex tourists and/or the reprobates on Sawatdee need directions on when and where to show proper Thai-style respect to waiters, beggars, prostitutes, bank officers, policemen, Hedda, immigration officials, mamasans (as opposed to beggars), GoGo boys (as opposed to prostitutes) and the guys on the other side of the glory holes on the 6th floor hong nam at MBK.
    Apparently so do lowly civil servants and their downtrodden poltical bosses who crave-the-wai.

Noticed ... in todays Bangkok Post:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ploenpote Atthakor in The Bangkok Post
    Last week some of our MPs allowed us a not-so-rare insight into their desperate need for respect, particularly from the government officials who serve them.
    Their dire need was made known through a directive issued by the House's General Affairs Office, which required all government officials to "show respect to MPs whenever they come across them" and to serve the politicians "to the best of their abilities".

"Showing respect" is quite a broad term in Thai culture, but it was well understood that the directive was meant to have the officials perform a wai to the MPs if they happen to cross paths.

As it happened, the controversial directive triggered an avalanche of strong criticism. Within hours it was mercilessly shot down. It was probably the shortest-lived administrative command ever in Thai history.
    In a face-saving move, Pitoon Pumhiran, secretary-general to the Parliament, had to come out and defend his colleagues.
    He said the whole brouhaha over wai-ing and showing respect was just a matter of "misunderstanding". Unfortunately, he did not elaborate as to what had been misunderstood, by whom and how.

Yet, Mr Pitoon admitted that many of his colleagues, particular first-time MPs who are young or look young, are frustrated about the lack of proper respect from officials who either work under or with them.
    In Thai tradition, the act of bringing one's palms together in a gesture of respectful greeting, or wai, is a matter concerning age and social status. For example, it is the younger people who have to perform a wai to older ones. In administration, people in inferior positions are supposed to give their superiors a wai. In school, the students wai the teachers. Of course, the action itself can be problematic, particularly when it deals with a person in an inferior position who is more senior in terms of age.

Is such a tricky situation the problem in Parliament? Older officials versus younger MPs? Or, perhaps, older officials vs arrogant young MPs. Or, even worse, officials versus MPs with "untoward behaviour"?
    Even though the matter of the good-manners directive has been dropped, its short-lived existence has made it clear that from now on there will be few - if any at all - House officials, no matter how old, who dare not give the MPs their much-desired wai, since the honourable MPs have made their wish so clear.

Put in perspective, the MPs' dire need for respect is very understandable. After all, this is a tough, top job that allows those in the position to earn high honour and prestige. But the way they pushed for it - through that idiotic directive - is simply not agreeable.
    Needless to say, there must be many MPs who still have not the slightest idea why they don't get enough respect. But the reason is quite obvious to us members of the general public, who have followed House sessions or read the newspapers.

On the bright side, we should be glad that the MPs made such a bold move in issuing that directive. If they look carefully at this issue they will realise that gaining respect is no difficult task at all - they only need to act respectably.
    Can we be optimistic and hope that our MPs will eventually learn a bit from this exercise and improve their actions - public or private - accordingly?

If the answer is yes, it means our MPs will do their best to make us proud in this political institution. That they will strive to make Parliament the respectable institute that it is, and not just a place where they routinely gather and shamelessly conduct a political farce.
    It would mean our hot-headed MPs will do better in anger management and stop turning Parliament into a boxing stadium during - or after - a heated debate.
    It would mean our honourable MPs will refrain from vulgarity or any dirty tricks only to win political games.
    It would also mean that they will not lie or behave in a corrupt manner, that they will perform their duty with integrity.
    Most important of all, the public need MPs with self-respect. The type of political breed that we can and will respect - not because of a directive, but from the heart.

<< http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... of-respect >>

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Re: Wondering when/who/why to 'wai'? Join the crowd ...

:lam: Entirely a new LOW in subject matter.....how fucking boring was this drivvle?

Liked

In that case, thank you for bumping the topic. I'll do the same. :headbang:

It's 'drivel', not 'drivvle'. You useless post above is a sterling example of the former.

Thank you....I recognize you as an expert on "drivel." I am flattered by your reply :sign3:

Liked

I was in the lobby of the Bangkok Bank main branch Silom once and this guy with an entourage gets off the elevator and all of a sudden all the guards came to attention, all the employees stopped dead in their tracks and went into a high wai. Shit, I thought I got caught up in some Royal visit, nope it was the bank president. He sashayed along and did not wai anyone back, got in a car parked on the sidewalk and left. Then everyone went back to business. I did not know if I should wai or not.

A while back there was a story in the Post about a Thai man that did not stand for the tribute for the King at a movie and someone in the audience gave him a few wacks. I was just in the airport in Udon and at 6pm the national anthem in the gate area. Everyone stood up expect two farangs. This young Thai lady said to him in English, "please stand up!". His response was it's not my country. He had a French accent. Another older Thai lady with an umbrella went over and gave him one quick wack on the head, he but he held his ground and did not stand.

Another thing that has meconfused is why at the BTS/Sky Train, they play the anthem and everyone stops/stands but in the MRT/Subway it's not played and is ignored. It's also ignored in my gym when it plays on all the TV's.

Some MP suggested once that everyone everywhere should stand for the anthem including those driving in cars.
    E Dok Tong

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by TrongpaiExpat
    " ... Another thing that has meconfused is why at the BTS/Sky Train, they play the anthem and everyone stops/stands but in the MRT/Subway it's not played and is ignored ...
    Be grateful I guess that the Skytrain car doesn't stop dead in it's tracks at 6PM.
    Perhaps that's what happened to the southbound train just outside of Hua Hin on Sunday. What a mess.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

It's been my understanding from Thai friends that when the anthem is played outdoors (i.e. the sky train station) one is expected to stop, but not when you're indoors, such as in the underground MRT or the indoor Hua Lamphong train station - although I noticed myself that most stood at 8am one morning when I was there waiting for a train.

A friend and I were at dinner in an indoor restaurant one evening (Outback, where he enjoys those hideous onion flower things) overlooking the entrance to the mall below, and when the anthem played I saw most outside below stop but the staff in the restaurant keep right on with their regular duties, so I asked - and that's the answer I got.

The presentation in the movie theater is in honor of the king - which is different, is it not? Now I'm confused, too. :dontknow:

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bao-bao
    " ... The presentation in the movie theater is in honor of the king - which is different, is it not? ... "
    It is ... and a different song as well. The tune played in theatres is the King's anthem ... that played at 8AM and 6Pm is the national anthem of Thailand. The King's ditty is much more pleasant and gentle to the ear.