Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thai Air and Star Alliance Frequent Flyer Awards

Liked

Thai Air and Star Alliance Frequent Flyer Awards

I belong to the United Airlines frequent flyer program. It's a member of the "Star Alliance". The Star Alliance consists of a number of airlines, including Thai Air. Well, you're supposed to be able to earn United miles flying on Star Alliance carriers. So, when I travelled to Thailand last time, I flew out of New York on the non-stop Thai flight because it's a LOT quicker. (United stops at Chicago, and Narita enroute to BKK). Anyway, I gave them my United number. To my dismay, I find that I only get 50% mileage allowance because I didn't fly with an expensive enough ticket. It took me some time to find it, but here's a Thai air website that explains it a bit:

http://www.thaiair.com/Royal_Orchid_Plu ... rlines.htm

A word to the wise if you're trying to accumulate mileage for a free ticket.

Don't feel bad i was on this flight with a discount ticket and did not get any miles on my united miles account

Liked

FREQUENT FLYERS...

OK, youse guys...

I have a little over 64,000 FF miles on United.
    Want to use them to fly to Manila or Bangkok.
    But United does not fly to Manila so they suggested I use them on Thai or Singapore or Luftahsia.
    How difficult is this? I know even finding a FF Seat is not easy...

Thanks,
    A Poor American

Liked
    As long as you plan ahead and are somewhat flexible with your dates you shouldn't have any trouble. I have used my United miles on Lufthansa to Europe with no problem. You just can't book partner awards via the United website. But if you call them up it shouldn't be too hard. Just make sure you tell them you want them to search all the partners not just United. It may also help to do some research first and find out which flights work best for you and they can check those flights. And if you talk to one person who doesn't seem interested in helping you, call back again and talk to some one else. It helps if you can plan at least 6 months ahead, or more if possible. Seats are released 330 days prior to the date of travel. Just be patient and polite and hope you talk to a helpful agent.

Liked

THANKS!!!

Thanks for the advice.

I am thinking 6 months from now, in Ocotber or November.
    I understand United charges US$15 to book through an Agent, but may be worth it.
    I want to visit the Philippines and Thailand.
    Might fly Thai to Bangkok and then Air Asia for the other segments...

Just will not bring anything with me, because Air Asia is a Bitch on over weight luggage!!!
    Charge you the overweight tariff on each segment!
    As they told me in the Philippines, "We are a Budget Airline..."

Cheers

Check-ups

Many airlines offer no or limited FF accrual these days so it's worth checking the fare rules. In Star Alliance these include SQ, TG and NZ

Liked

Re: THANKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GWMinUS
    I want to visit the Philippines and Thailand.
    Might fly Thai to Bangkok and then Air Asia for the other segments...
    Don't book separate flight for your side trip - just book a single trip (on Thai) with a stop-over in Manila 'on the way' to BKK (or a stopover in BKK on your way to Manila, depending on the dates you want)

FF Award flights are 'charged' by region, and you will almost certainly find that Manila and Bangkok are in the same region (price band) from your home city. You can therefore visit both cities for a single redemption of FF miles.
    If [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/YouTube.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/MySpace.jpg[/img] I'll [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Google.jpg[/img] your [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/SenYai/Yahoo.jpg[/img]

Liked

Download the star alliance timetable or bookmark

When planning trips to europe using direct or round world I download the planning tools from

www.staralliance.com

look for travel tools

On their website they have just announced the addition of Swiss and South African Airlines to the fold.

The round the world is not that great. It does have some useful assistance on routing. But can be frustrating

ATM I am trying to get a Star FF ticket from Moscow to St Petersburg and the RTW says there are no flights???

Have to go to airlines to search.

Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking of the NYC/Bkk TG flight this year but if I am only going to get 50% UA miles then forget it.

The last time I looked in to a St. Petersburg flight on Star Alliance it was through Frankfurt only and that racks up the miles against the RTW quota. UA was very difficult to book RTWs on as they seem to require you always go through FF in that area. They would not book me on Rome to BKK nonstop TG saying it was illegal for them to allow me to leave from a "third country" like that. My next RTW was on NW/KLM!

The last time I looked into going "star alliance (e.g. UA and TG) ret. US/BKK on an UA award ticket there was a restriction that I could NOT change my ticket or I would lose it (i.e could NOT change return date once booked - no show, lose ticket). Also they want you to ticket your award flight within 72 hours of booking (with $50.00 recredit miles fee). Makes it hard to plan trips when you have to be precise about your return date planning 6-9 months in advance. Also, United will now charge you 100 plus dollars if you change your return reservation, not just re-ticketing it, even if no rerouting.

Needless to say I am pretty much VERY tired of hearing of one new restriction after another every time I call United and am switching to NW for the future!

Also note: If u want ur Thai miles on UA then be SURE to confirm it when checking in for your flights. I have an old TG frequent flyer account and on more than one ocasion (over many years) I found the miles creditted on TG despite being specific when booking/ticketing (it may have been the travel agent that messed up). You WON'T get this straightened out after they are creditted wrongly. And TG miles expire if not used!

When booking a ticket you should always look at the booking class your ticket will be issued in, and then look at how many point is given from the bonus program you will use.

Example: I am a member of SAS Eurobonus, on my trip in the end of the month, both SAS and Thai have very good deals Copenhagen-Bangkok, both directly. In fact the ticket cost me almost the same, and in the same booking class (V). SAS gives me 100% points and Thai 0%
    Also if you are flying at the same airlines who have issued the card you will often earn more points if you are a silver or gold member

http://www.scandinavian.net/EC/Appl/Hom ... DK,00.html

http://www.scandinavian.net/EC/Appl/Hom ... DK,00.html

For earning miles using United Milage Plus on Thai

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1194,00.html