Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SURIN - Elephant Festival

SURIN - Elephant Festival

Hi, I am thinking of going to Surin for the elephant festival/roundup in late Novemeber. I know a few of you guys have been there. Can you tell me a good, average price, Hotel/Guesthouse/Homestay that is Gay or Gay friendly? Are there any Gay bars or some sort of gay presence? Any tips or ideas for places to visit in the area?

Thanks

Liked

Re: SURIN - Elephant Festival

You'd best book early if you want a decent hotel in Surin during the Elephant Festival. Prices go up as well.
    The Tong Tharin Hotel << http://www.thongtarinhotel.com/ >> is a good solid hotel (with pool) right in the middle of town and what one would call the 'entertainment zone'. Tong Tharin prices are in the 1000-1300 baht range, but I'm quite certain you'd have to pay more than that during the festival days.
    I'm sure there is a gay place (bar) or two but I've never been to any, and I've never come across any advertised. If there is it would more than likely be Thai rather than farang oriented.

Guesthouses and small Thai hotels will be full if you leave it too late to book, and what makes it doubly difficult is that most of these smaller places do not have websites, nor are they associated with the large accommodation booking agencies.

Beside the festival, Surin is not far from two of the best preserved ancient Khymer temples, Prasat Muang Tam and Prasat Phanom Rung. About a 30 minute drive into Buriram, both well worth a visit.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Thanks Smiles. I have sent an email to thong tarin hotel so will see what the story is. Maybe I will hire a car and spend more time in the area. I have never been to Ubon so perhaps I'll spend more than three days in the area and have a good look around. I am surprised at just the one response; while I am sure Smiles is up on everything perhaps others have different experiences or places to suggest? I did a search on the board for Surin but there doesn't appear to be any specific threads about Surin.

Liked

I've been meaning to visit Surin but just haven't gotten around to it yet. When I do, I plan to stay at the Surin Majestic Hotel.
    http://www.surinmajestichotel.com/home/index.php?area=1

I believe it is the newest hotel there. The rates are similar to the Thong Tarin (starting at 1,100 baht), and likewise may be triple during the elephant festival.

Liked

Both times I have been to the Surin Elephant Festival, I stayed at the SANGTHON HOTEL

The following is from a web site with all the hotels in Surin:

http://www.farangconnection.com/index.p ... &Itemid=31

Standard Double with air ├Я400
    Standard single with air ├Я330
    Standard double with fan ├Я330
    Standard single with fan ├Я220
    Location; Town center opposite main Post Office. 10 mins walk from Farang Connection.
    Another travelers Hotel. Right in the city center so getting places is no problem. Fairly comfortable rooms.

It is right on the main drag............ down which the primary event of the festival proceeds.....the parade .........right next door is a perfect little breakfast joint. ..... ask the lady if she remember the farang who fell off the elephant during the parade!!!!! ......hotel mainly a businessman's hotel, very basic, but a cheap, absolutely centrally located, perfect place to stay for an event during which you will not spend much time in your room ..... get a good night sleep and hit the road .....not a problem with being gay friendly .... plenty secure parking for your car..

The Festival is something not to be missed ....... second time was as much a hoot as the first ..... and the Issan guys you take with you will also love it.

Hi People. Have booked a room at Sangthon for 1000 baht a night which is fine by me, I did enquire of the others but they were more than double that price. Apparently one can buy tickets for the shows when there so will do that. Now just have to find a boy or two to take with me, or hope I find a few there! Thanks everyone for your help. Is Ubon Ratchatani worth a look while I am there?
    AND, if leaving from Pattaya where can I rent a decent car for a week?
    Ta

Liked

Great that you got a booking .......... 1000 seems high for Sangthon, but I guess worth it for what you will see at the Festival ...... I hate driving in Thailand, especially on roads with which I am not familiar and through a variety of pointless police checkpoints ..... if you can afford it, I would and can recommend a car with a driver ...... cost might (??) be a bit more then a rental, but not appreciably ........ and worth it for the piece of mind. ...... reduces by one the number of folks you can take along ..........next door to Surin Province is Buriram .......fantastic Khmer ruins in nearby Phanom Rung from which you can see Cambodia off in the distance from the mountain top .....I like Wikipedia, so for a start for what to see, check out the following and surf on from there:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surin_Province
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buriram_Province
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisaket_Province
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubon_Ratchathani_Province

Enjoy.

Yep seemed a bit high to me too but then its difficult to book from a distance and at least I have somewhere to stay.
    I have driven in Thailand before. Would be interested in a price for a car with a driver. Then again maybe I can find something in Surin. I will have a look at those links.
    Might just get a bus or catch the train there and see what happens. I would even consider a motorbike.
    Thanks

Liked: 1

I have been to Surin when it wasn't the elephant festival. I found the town to be a peaceful stop but definitely not a place to look for gay hook-ups. It's worth visiting the nearby Hindu temple Khao Phra Whan in Si Sa Ket province. I went the Friday before it was closed due to the ongoing war June of 2008. I would check first to see if the temple is open before venturing over there. The owner of the Farang Connection restaurant (straight but informative owner) could tell you if it is open or closed.

Liked

This year I'm doing pretty much the same as you Diao Maa - going to Surin for the first time to see the Elephant Festival and spend a few days looking around the area. I'm going to stay in Prasat rather than Surin City itself, so I have somewhere to get away from the crowds if I feel like it. I'm hiring a car and a driver for a few days. As well as the Festival I intend to see Phanom Rung and Muang Tam in Buriram Province, and Wat Lan Khuad in Si Sa Ket Province - this is the Wat that is made entirely of recycled bottles.

There is a place called Prasat Sikhoraphum about (Ithink) 20 or 30 km from Surin. It has a big sound and light show on the Friday of the festival (20th November) It sounds worth a visit and I plan on going.
    [youtube:asenk4sm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWEZjUmc7s[/youtube:asenk4sm]

Anybody else who is thinking of going to the Elephant Festival, I advise you to book a hotel now. I already came across a couple that are booked out for the Festival weekend.