FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Regarding restaurants

Regarding restaurants

Secrets of the Restaurant Critics
    The professionals who eat for a living reveal the tricks of their trade
    By Linda Kulman
    Posted 4 September 2009 from US News & World Report

Americans now spend about $336 billion each year--nearly half of their food dollars--away from home. U.S. News's Linda Kulman spoke with Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page, authors of Dining Out: Secrets from America's Leading Critics, Chefs, and Restaurateurs (John Wiley & Sons, $29.95) to get the latest dish on restaurants.

What tricks do critics use to tell how good a kitchen is? The idea is to test a restaurant based on its getting a relatively simple item right. Critics have litmus tests for different types of restaurants. For example, French bistros are known by their breads and vinaigrette. Critics are looking for a good-quality olive oil and vinegar, freshness, and a pleasing ratio of oil to vinegar. The salad should include fresh seasonal greens that aren't wilted or yellowed and are properly cleaned. If they can't even clean their salad greens, how can you expect them to make a great sauce, right? Quality and freshness are key criteria for bread, too.

What clues help critics decide if a place is worth trying, especially if it's a hole in the wall or it serves unfamiliar ethnic food? One critic says he walks in and asks himself, "Are the diners smiling? Do they look happy?" A restaurant should also smell appetizing. If something smells off, we don't stay--whether it's bug spray or Windex used to clean table tops.

How do you know whether you can trust your server's tastes? You shouldn't necessarily trust him unless you know him. But you can read a waitperson's advice the same way you can read a restaurant. "The lamb stew is very popular" is a lot different from "My absolute favorite thing on the entire menu is the lamb stew, and everyone I've ever recommended it to has thanked me for suggesting it to them!"

Will waiters treat you as a penny pincher if you order two appetizers and skip the entree? Or share an entree with a friend? There's less distinction between appetizers and entrees these days. Some restaurants don't even write the word entree on the menu. They say "small plates" and "large plates." When we split an entree, often a kitchen will divide it between two plates without our even asking. Still, we're taking up a table and waitress, so we tip the amount we would if we'd eaten a full meal.

Are "specials" really special, or is the kitchen just trying to offload them? Specials often take advantage of ingredients that are in season. When food is on its last legs but still very edible--three-day-old salmon that still smells fine--it's frequently served to staff, but it's not pushed on customers.

How do you complain without embarrassing yourself? What should you expect to happen once you speak up? First, tell your server that there's a problem, and describe it factually, like, "I just found this piece of plastic in my pasta" or "My steak is medium well when I ordered it medium rare." It's reasonable to give the restaurant a chance to replace overcooked meat or to reseason a dish. If there's a foreign object in the food, it's OK to ask to have it removed from the bill--though it's hard to make a case if you're finishing your last bite. If you don't get the situation resolved, ask to speak with the manager or owner. If it still isn't to your satisfaction, you can follow up with a letter of complaint to the restaurant and/or the local restaurant critic.

What about wine? If the wine doesn't taste good, say, "I'm not sure the wine is supposed to taste like this. Would you mind tasting it?" Often, the restaurant will replace it and sell that bottle by the glass.

What's considered an appropriate tip now? At a fine restaurant with good service, think 20 percent to 25 percent. If the service is just adequate, 15 percent. If you leave 10 percent, you're making it clear you weren't happy. (That's if you had to ask five times for water and never got it.)

Should you ever give a zero percent tip? We've never done it because we believe everyone needs to earn a living and we try to give the waitperson the benefit of the doubt. However, if a customer gets truly awful service and does everything in her power to turn things around and things are still not resolved, it may be warranted. Elaine Tait, former critic for the Philadelphia Inquirer, says that once, after she received atrocious service, she wrote, "Somewhere out there in [Philadelphia], there's a waiter wondering whether or not I forgot to leave him a tip. I didn't."

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Regarding restaurants

What's this got to do with Thailand?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Beachlover
    What's this got to do with Thailand?
    Maybe the professional food critics in Philadelphia would like us to begin publishing detailed critiques about food markets, and where to get the best sticky rice.

Liked

Tuckerton is the Haute de Cuisine and souffle maesta over at Baht Stop. He's slumming here I think.
    Don't make any jokes about gay dudes laughing at themselves ... he takes such things VERY non-PC indeed and will report you to Baht Stop. Can be funny, though he doesn't mean to be.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

My piece on restaurant reviews was in answer to GB's request that I offer some advice to him in regards to what most civilized food reviewers use as guidelines when they review places which offer foods or meals for sale of any sort (be whether the carte offered is Pizza, Hoagies, Steak Sandwiches, or haute cuisine at the grandest hotels and restaurants in the city, or breakfast at a local open 24 hours a day "diner". Obviously most of the adolescent patrons of the GB/GT mindset really don't care much about manners nor the guidelines that most civilized publications require in order to attract and please readers and in the long run earn a reputation for providing to their readers "all the news that's fit to print."
    BTW Philadelphia is a very progressive city and the Gay community rarely has Fairy Fights about anything Gay including such subjects as restaurant reviews, or the political campaigning for Gay Rights.

GB seems to have a problem being a gentleman, and continues to think that message board posters disagree with his opinions about every-and-anything no matter what. "I could care less" seems to be is his favorite defensive retort", and I sincerely find that to be sad!

Tuckerton

Yeah, Brucie's a real piece of work, isn't he?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Who the hell is GB?....

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerton
    My piece on restaurant reviews was in answer to GB's request that I offer some advice to him in regards to what most civilized food reviewers use as guidelines when they review places
    I still can't see why you imagined it was appropriate to post it on this site, where GayButton doesn't post, and in this forum, which is about Thailand!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerton
    My piece on restaurant reviews was in answer to GB's request that I offer some advice to him in regards to what most civilized food reviewers use as guidelines when they review places which offer foods or meals for sale of any sort (be whether the carte offered is Pizza, Hoagies, Steak Sandwiches, or haute cuisine at the grandest hotels and restaurants in the city, or breakfast at a local open 24 hours a day "diner". Obviously most of the adolescent patrons of the GB/GT mindset really don't care much about manners nor the guidelines that most civilized publications require in order to attract and please readers and in the long run earn a reputation for providing to their readers "all the news that's fit to print."
    BTW Philadelphia is a very progressive city and the Gay community rarely has Fairy Fights about anything Gay including such subjects as restaurant reviews, or the political campaigning for Gay Rights.

GB seems to have a problem being a gentleman, and continues to think that message board posters disagree with his opinions about every-and-anything no matter what. "I could care less" seems to be is his favorite defensive retort", and I sincerely find that to be sad!

Tuckerton
    Smiles: Can be funny, though he doesn't mean to be.
    Right on cue. You couldn't make it up.

GB is of course GREAT BRITAIN or Gay Button in lesser circles. :rolling:

Liked

If you are truly posting a reply to a thread, then why not use that thread?