PDA

View Full Version : Missionaries "rescuing prostitutes"

Beachlover
August 15th, 2009, 18:50
What does everyone here think about this:

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-woman-works- ... le/3392827 (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-woman-works-to-free-slaves-in-bangkoks-sex-trade/article/3392827)

Just curious...

ceejay
August 15th, 2009, 19:27
A quote from the article:

McGee said in January she learned that the International Mission Board was cutting some missionary positions
It'll be 69's next! :colors:

August 16th, 2009, 13:11
What does everyone here think about this:

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-woman-works- ... le/3392827 (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-woman-works-to-free-slaves-in-bangkoks-sex-trade/article/3392827)

Just curious...

If she wants to bawl for hours, why doesn't she bawl about the Native Americans displaced by her kith-and-kin who turned large parts of Oklahoma into a dustbowl. She could stick her holier than thou pretensions where the sun don't shine. Tawan, perhaps.

cdnmatt
August 16th, 2009, 13:32
I generally just ignore people like this, especially when they come out with statements like, "IтАЩd done all this research, but when youтАЩre standing on this street with 1,500 prostitutes, it crushed me. I just wanted to go home and bawl for hours". Kind of leaves you with the impression that they don't quite understand the reality of the world we live in. If that's going to make you bawl for hours, head to various other countries like Somalia or Sri Lanka.

I'm all for noble causes, and good on her for trying to help. I'm sure she'll be able to help some people who genuinely want it as well, so kudos to that. Nonetheless, if I was looking to help the world, I could think of alot better things to expend my time and energy on. For example, maybe help the de-mining efforts in Cambodia so kids don't get limbs blown off just for playing, or help the various orphanages, etc. But hey, different strokes for different folks.

Only thing that irks me is the religious aspect to it all. That part somewhat pisses me off. If anything, I'd say the Buddhists have this whole life thing figured out way more than Christians / Catholics do, and I'm sure she's trying to show these poor prostitutes the "way of God", which tends to get under my skin.

Other than that, all the power to her!

August 16th, 2009, 13:42
I think we send send prostitutes to save the missionaries.

cdnmatt
August 16th, 2009, 13:46

LOL. That actually made me laugh. I could just picture her having a mind-blowing threesome with a couple boys hand-picked from a go-go bar. :)

dab69
August 16th, 2009, 22:37

:D

August 16th, 2009, 23:36
They could of course deploy the missionary position to make her feel at home.

Khor tose
August 17th, 2009, 00:31
I see her as just one more example of America's failed educational system. I would place her mental age at somewhere between 13-15 as she is so naive that she is clearly incapable of seeing outside her small world parameters (Midwest Christian). I get a real kick out of her wanting to help "that poor man forced to dress like a women and sell himself to other men for sex." I just wonder how much sympathy money that katoey got out of her? Fortunately for her she did not try to get her out of her dress and dressing like a man again, or she would have got her eyes scratched out. People like her are a great embarrassment to many Americans, educated or not, and are definite proof of how badly our educational system has failed us in large parts of America. For you non-Americans, now you can clearly see the product of the Bible Belt in America, and understand how this once mighty nation can elect a moron like George Bush.
It would be funny to me if it was just her or a few other idiots that think the way she does. The fact that there are so many of them (21%) is just plain sad, and a terrible reflection on America and Americans everywhere.

August 17th, 2009, 00:39
As much as khor tose appears to want to start another American-bashing thread, there are just as many non-American religious wackos out there. Here are some, for your edification.

[youtube:mde0f6fh]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xz3qI5b8D8[/youtube:mde0f6fh]

cdnmatt
August 17th, 2009, 00:43
As much as khor tose appears to want to start another American-bashing thread, there are just as many non-American religious wackos out there. Here are some, for your edification.

heh, I always wonder if people like this realize how utterly stupid they look to the rest of us?

As for American Christian values in the bible-belt not being as bad as other countries, here's a good example.

[youtube:379z41tj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LACyLTsH4ac[/youtube:379z41tj]

I think it'd be pretty tough to find that outside of the US bible-belt. Then the parents of these kids are the ones who complain the loudest because they just can't contemplate how people become Muslim fundamentalists. Go to about 7:30 in the clip, and you'll see what I mean.

Khor tose
August 17th, 2009, 01:43

Of course religious fanatics are in every country. Heck we just had this argument. The point I am trying to make is that they are a large percentage of the population in America. I will say they have suffered a severe set-back, and it is interesting that some evangelical movements are turning away from politics towards protecting the environment, but they are still to large and to active for my taste.

August 17th, 2009, 02:37
I see her as just one more example of America's failed educational system. .... People like her are a great embarrassment to many Americans, educated or not, and are definite proof of how badly our educational system has failed us in large parts of America.

A bit like the only time in my life when I have experienced direct sexual discrimination (albeit totally misplaced), when one member of the "Bible belt" loosed off a shotgun in our general direction from a passing pick-up truck, with a shout of "fucking homos"! His reason, as we were a group of cyclists sitting at the side of the road having a drink, was presumably that he took exception to our cycling clothing (lycra and spandex, unfortunately predominantly in a rather lurid shade of pink - our sponsor's colours).

Not typical of most Americans, whom I found to be particularly open and generous to strangers (rather like arabs, as I have mentioned before!).

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione

fedssocr
August 17th, 2009, 03:02
not sure what they are trying to accomplish yelling at cars on the street corner. But it's always fun to see BKK when I am not there..

I used to be a Catholic. But I can't understand these people at all. It's a shame they can't help people just to help them. It has to all be caught up with "saving souls" and turning them into Christians. And they do all of this in order to get in good with their god rather than just to help their fellow humans. It's such a totally different mindset that is completely foreign to me.

I'm not sure Buddhist thinking is necessarily that much better.

ceejay
August 17th, 2009, 03:27
It's a shame they can't help people just to help them.
The sister of a very good friend of mine became a missionary in Africa. According to her the schools, and hospitals, saving prostitutes, whatever is not important. It's just a means to an end - the end being conversion to her particular brand of Christianity.

thrillbill
August 17th, 2009, 18:06
...As an American I am always irked why these "missionaries of God" have to feel like they need to leave the country and save the world when they could start in their own neighborhood...help the poverty in the inner cities, ...or one of the deprived Indian reservations, ...help in an orphanage , ... senior citizen homes --the list goes on and on. But no, they get a free plane trip from their church congregation , live in a sheltered Christian environment once arriving at their mission in a foreign country, then go back to their lilly white church back in the USA and show some power point of how they have converted the "lost souls". It just isn't exotic enough to help in their own community.

Beachlover
August 17th, 2009, 18:22
This is a very unique thread. No members slagging each other off for once. Finally find something to unite everyone LOL.

I like some of the observations.

Yeah, I think she is incredibly naive and narrow minded. And certainly doesn't have any understanding of how things work there. It's ironic... a 1-hour conversation with one of you expats would open her eyes a lot.

I can imagine a lot of these prostitutes "befriending" her for ulterior motives. LOL... imagine some of the boys hitting on her and trying to talk her into bed. "You can help me. If you no sleep with me, I afraid I gay"

She's really isn't adding any value... but then again, if her primary aim is simply to convert people into Christians than this doesn't matter so much... she just needs to be "seen" to add value. And her target donors are probably more clueless than her.

I did notice when asked why she chose Thailand, the very first thing she said was it's "96% Buddhist"... and she looks like she's trying to contain herself from saying this with a negative tone of voice.

Ah well... I hope the Thais suck a lot of money out of her :cheers:

ceejay
August 17th, 2009, 19:15
Take a look at this.
http://www.isaan.org/index.php?option=c ... e&Itemid=1 (http://www.isaan.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

August 17th, 2009, 19:35
I was so touched, so impressed by her story and the two video clips, that last night I decided to do some converting for Jesus. This loving God of ours, that puts so much time and energy into creating earthquakes and tsunamis and giving people cancer, deserves to be understood by a wider audience.

So off I went to Soi Twilight and got a heathen looking boy (dark brown skin, lightly muscled body, big smile and firm pert buttocks) took him home and cast out the devil in him. When the love of Jesus had come all over him and he had been cleansed, I gave him 1500 Baht to go buy a Bible.

Praise the Lord.

maisoui
August 18th, 2009, 03:53
I was so touched, so impressed by her story and the two video clips, that last night I decided to do some converting for Jesus. This loving God of ours, that puts so much time and energy into creating earthquakes and tsunamis and giving people cancer, deserves to be understood by a wider audience.

So off I went to Soi Twilight and got a heathen looking boy (dark brown skin, lightly muscled body, big smile and firm pert buttocks) took him home and cast out the devil in him. When the love of Jesus had come all over him and he had been cleansed, I gave him 1500 Baht to go buy a Bible.

Praise the Lord.

I applaud your charity, sir. I too would like to do some devil casting. Could you post precise details of the ritual involved so that I may be successful in my endeavours.

PS I trust these ceremonies do not require what is commonly called "the missionary position", which is really only good for the female of the species who, in my view are not worth the effort of redemption.

fedssocr
August 18th, 2009, 06:17
Take a look at this.
http://www.isaan.org/index.php?option=c ... e&Itemid=1 (http://www.isaan.org/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1)

I wonder what sort of visa allows these people to live and work in the country. They seem to be very excited that they have converted a couple of thousand people after making "a huge investment". And their "churches" seem to average about 30 members, basically an extended family.

It's also interesting that they call the people The Isaan...like the Cherokee or something. I always thought Isaan referred to the place not as a name for the people.

I suppose there are lots of misguided people all over the world. But if these people are converting of their own free will and without coercion I guess that is their right.

August 18th, 2009, 08:53
Take a look at this.

I wonder what sort of visa allows these people to live and work in the country. They seem to be very excited that they have converted a couple of thousand people after making "a huge investment". And their "churches" seem to average about 30 members, basically an extended family.

It's also interesting that they call the people The Isaan...like the Cherokee or something. I always thought Isaan referred to the place not as a name for the people.

I suppose there are lots of misguided people all over the world. But if these people are converting of their own free will and without coercion I guess that is their right.

There is a special visa class for missionaries.

Beachlover
August 18th, 2009, 18:58
Take a look at this.

You know those mormons you see walking around in the white shirts trying to convert people? I've always wondered who pays for their trips. Surely they are not adding much value at all. I mean really... walking around a city talking to people at random?

Even if their goal is to simply "convert" a few people... I don't see them achieving this. They seem completely naive or clueless to what is actually going on around them when they walk onto a busy Sydney street and try to "chat to you" on your way to a meeting.

August 18th, 2009, 20:43
You know those mormons you see walking around in the white shirts trying to convert people? I've always wondered who pays for their trips. Surely they are not adding much value at all. I mean really... walking around a city talking to people at random?

Even if their goal is to simply "convert" a few people... I don't see them achieving this. They seem completely naive or clueless to what is actually going on around them when they walk onto a busy Sydney street and try to "chat to you" on your way to a meeting.

Are you kidding? Mormonism is the single most fabulously successful cult in the world. The numbers of their converts across the world is already staggering, and growing quickly.

And I wouldn't worry too much about money...the Mormon Church is one of the wealthiest in the world.

Khor tose
August 19th, 2009, 05:49
Are you kidding? Mormonism is the single most fabulously successful cult in the world. The numbers of their converts across the world is already staggering, and growing quickly.

And I wouldn't worry too much about money...the Mormon Church is one of the wealthiest in the world.

In my misguided youth I played with Mormonism. What Bunny says is all to true, and all to frightening. The Mormons are also one of the most powerful anti-gay organizations in the Nation. They have backed several anti-gay campaigns including the recent reversal of gay rights in California. They not only provide their own army of volunteers, but finance the armies of those who agree with them.

Beachlover
August 19th, 2009, 11:34
Well no wonder this movie - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latter_Days - pissed them off so much.

Can you imagine how badly it would f*ck you up to be born into that kind of strict anti-gay community in a small town with no outlet?

Even worse... imagine if one of the Westboro (spelling...) Baptist Church (the "God Hates Fags thing) kids was gay... how f*cked up would his mind be?

Lunchtime O'Booze
August 19th, 2009, 16:17
how many female prostitutes has she saved from Dream Boy ?

It's those Southern Baptists again-sticking their noses where they aren't wanted. They were encouraging George Bush to blow-up Iraq and they're now foaming at the mouth with their teabagging parties to stop Obama's basic health care-in between they're off god bothering in Asia. It will all end in tears..hers.

August 19th, 2009, 18:48
If this woman wants to "save prostitutes" I'm ok with that ............ as long as she saves the cutest ones for me!

:cheers: :cheers:

Beachlover
August 19th, 2009, 18:53
how many female prostitutes has she saved from Dream Boy ?

It's those Southern Baptists again-sticking their noses where they aren't wanted. They were encouraging George Bush to blow-up Iraq and they're now foaming at the mouth with their teabagging parties to stop Obama's basic health care-in between they're off god bothering in Asia. It will all end in tears..hers.

I think she's more likely to end up getting her brains fucked out by a horny Thai boy with a big...

August 19th, 2009, 19:18
Mormonism is the single most fabulously successful cult in the world.

Worrabaht the Kafflix?

August 20th, 2009, 08:52
If that's going to make you bawl for hours, head to various other countries like Somalia or Sri Lanka!As someone who has spent many happy hours chasing boys in Sri Lanka - like the late Arthur C. Clarke - I don't understand the suggestion that Sri Lanka is somehow equivalent to Somalia.

elephantspike
August 23rd, 2009, 14:13
Wow! Did you actually chase Authur C Clarke when he was a boy in Sri Lanka? That is so cool!

August 23rd, 2009, 16:16
Nice one Spike.

cdnmatt
August 23rd, 2009, 17:32
If that's going to make you bawl for hours, head to various other countries like Somalia or Sri Lanka!As someone who has spent many happy hours chasing boys in Sri Lanka - like the late Arthur C. Clarke - I don't understand the suggestion that Sri Lanka is somehow equivalent to Somalia.

So you haven't heard about the recent civil war, or the ongoing humanitarian crisis then?

I'll admit, I've never been to Sri Lanka so I could be totally wrong, but for some reason, it just doesn't seem like the happiest place in the world right now.

August 23rd, 2009, 19:21
So you haven't heard about the recent civil war, or the ongoing humanitarian crisis then? I'll admit, I've never been to Sri Lanka so I could be totally wrong, but for some reason, it just doesn't seem like the happiest place in the world right now.Of course; everyone has heard of those things. However comparing Sri Lanka which has a functioning government and a civil war limited to one region of the country, to Somalia which is in every sense a failed state with no central government and no prospect of one, the domain of warlords and pirates, is simply ludicrous. You are, indeed, totally wrong. I guess your understanding of the world is based on 30-second news bites from CNN?

August 23rd, 2009, 19:23
Wow! Did you actually chase Authur C Clarke when he was a boy in Sri Lanka? That is so cool!Of course.

Bob
August 23rd, 2009, 21:01
Wow! Did you actually chase Authur C Clarke when he was a boy in Sri Lanka? That is so cool!Of course.

Huh? Clarke was born in 1917 and according to the website for the Arthur C Clarke Foundation: "Clarke first visited Colombo, Sri Lanka (then called Ceylon) in December 1954."
He apparently emigrated to Sri Lanka two years later.

August 24th, 2009, 15:56
Wow! Did you actually chase Authur C Clarke when he was a boy in Sri Lanka? That is so cool!Of course.Huh? Clarke was born in 1917 and according to the website for the Arthur C Clarke Foundation: "Clarke first visited Colombo, Sri Lanka (then called Ceylon) in December 1954." He apparently emigrated to Sri Lanka two years later.It would seem that your sense of humour is matched only the original poster's grasp of the English language.

Impulse
August 25th, 2009, 03:05
I guess your understanding of the world is based on 30-second news bites from CNN? Its obvious you get yours from Fox news.or the NY Post.Or Rush Limpbaug.

cdnmatt
August 25th, 2009, 06:07
Of course; everyone has heard of those things. However comparing Sri Lanka which has a functioning government and a civil war limited to one region of the country, to Somalia which is in every sense a failed state with no central government and no prospect of one, the domain of warlords and pirates, is simply ludicrous. You are, indeed, totally wrong. I guess your understanding of the world is based on 30-second news bites from CNN?

And who ever said I was comparing Somalia to Sri Lanka? I only said both places would probably make her cry far more than Bangkok.