PDA

View Full Version : Safest way to fly to

April 8th, 2006, 17:56
Are there any "major carriers" that fly to Ko Samui from Bangkok? Just curious. :cyclops:

April 8th, 2006, 18:14
Are you implying that Bangkok Airways isn't safe just because they lost a flight to Koh Samui with an Executive from Wellcome Supermarket on board in 1990?

Koh Samui Crash (http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/view_details.cgi?date=11211990&reg=OB-1358&airline=Bangkok+Airways)

My partner worked with this guy and when in 1994 our aircraft banked to land at Koh Samui , you should have seen his face.

Give them a break. They've not had a crash in over 10 years and besides, they own the runway.

...or take the ferry.

Surfcrest
April 8th, 2006, 18:38
Wow NorthStar, you've become such a bitter thing as of late.

Why not cheer yourself up, slide over to your blog and write something a little more interesting besides the fact that you got up this morning.

Cedric,

Bangkok Air is great, as is their services to Samui and beyond.
They have a great promotion that is only available outside Thailand, if you havwe time to take advantage of it before you arrive.

Surfcrest

April 8th, 2006, 18:57
Just booked Pattaya to Samui to Pattaya with Bangkok Air. Excellent process and customer service. It will be BF's first flight.

April 8th, 2006, 23:07
I'd forgotten I'd started a blog on here. You've been reading it? Fascinating.

Do explain what is bitter about my message above, which I believe merely relates a few facts?

April 9th, 2006, 08:15
Northstar I did not find your post bitter,not one bit. I was also not implying anything about Thai airways. I never fly internaly any-where except Australia on the odd occation. No I was just curious about Samui. Can you take your car across the ferry? Where is the closet international airport?

lonelywombat
April 9th, 2006, 09:11
I thought you had asked for help on Koh Samui and there was a lot of info posted.

I think someone mentioned flying in from Singapore

copied from www.gaykohsamui.net (http://www.gaykohsamui.net)

Getting to Koh Samui and Away

Air Bangkok Airways has frequent daily flights between Samui, Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi and one daily flight from/to Singapore. Direct services to Kualu Lumpur, Malaysia and Hong Kong planned to commence mid 2005.

Samui Airport exit tax for domestic flights 400 baht for domestic flights and 500 baht for international and international transfer flights.

Thai Airways fly from all major airports to Suratthani - requires ferry crossing.

Train A train service runs between Bangkok and Samui via Suratthani - requires ferry crossing.

Bus There are a number of Bus services from Bangkok, Phuket via Suratthani - also requires ferry crossing.

Car Self Drive to and Samui via hourly passenger/vehicular ferry services. There is a good highway and expressway road system on the mainland leading to all major destinations. Major Vehicle hire companies and small family businesses abound on Samui.

Boat Raja Ferrys and Seatran Ferrys offer a range of crossings to and from Samui to Koh Phangan and Suratthani. Vehicular ferries take about 1.5 hours to make the crossing between Samui and Donsak (about 40 minutes drive away from Suratthani). Smaller passenger only express services make the trip in about 45 minutes.

April 9th, 2006, 10:31
I would think that Bangkok Airways would qualify as a "major" airline in Thailand. In my experience professionally run.
Having flown to Surathani by Thai and then taken a bus to the ferry, I would recommend flying in direct by Bangkok Airways.

April 9th, 2006, 11:58
No lonely Wombat not me, I did ask about koh Samet and Chiang the conversation might have drifted to Samui a little. Looks like it will be Hua Hin any-way. Its difficult getting a decent side trip in from Bangkok in only ten days total, for a non flyer at least. I need to be back in BK for Wed Thurs so I get a week or five days to do this side trip, leaving next week. As much as I like Thai air or air Bangkok whatever I prefer to drive. Strange no major air-lines are allowed to or go to some of the more popular spots with airports.

Suppose next question and I know this has been done a bit, is any recommended Boutique style hotels in Hua Hin?? Last time it was asked it was for economy style hotels.

lonelywombat
April 9th, 2006, 12:38
Suppose next question and I know this has been done a bit, is any recommended Boutique style hotels in Hua Hin?? Last time it was asked it was for economy style hotels.

I always go to asiarooms.com to see what choices are available

My friend had a good time at Sofitel, and will return

http://www.asiarooms.com/thailand/hua_hin.html

April 9th, 2006, 12:42
I usually stay at Klai Kang Won, but I realise it's not for everyone :geek:

wowpow
April 9th, 2006, 17:49
"Sofitel Central Hua Hin Resort, the Kingdom's first resort hotel was opened in 1923 and offers discerning guests a mixture of beautiful colonial architecture blended with every modern facility that today's demanding travellers desire from a five star resort hotel.

The Sofitel Central Hua Hin Resort's pleasant ambience, unique architectural style, magnificent gardens and excellent location recall an older era of His Majesty King Prachadhipok (Rama VII), and ensure a perfect setting for a quick break away from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok or a much needed longer holiday.

This 207-room colonial style beach-front resort is set in magnificent tropical gardens just two and a half hours from Bangkok by car and 30 minutes by air. Extensive conference, incentive and meeting facilities including health spa and fitness centre." www.asiatraveltips.com/SofitelCentralHuaHinResort.htm (http://www.asiatraveltips.com/SofitelCentralHuaHinResort.htm)

"Chiva-Som is a world-renowned, luxury, health resort located on the beach of Hua Hin some 220 Kilometers south of Bangkok. Chiva-Som, meaning 'Haven of Life' is a beautiful secluded world of its own hidden within seven acres of lush tropical gardens. The resort offers individualised programmes and teatments for everyone from weight loss and stress reduction to total relaxation and pure pampering.

Dedicated to helping guests revitalize mind, body and spirit, Chiva-Som provides extensive fitness, spa and holistic health facilities to assist guests to achieve greater well-being and vitality. Whether you wish to detox or destress our world-class practitioners, fitness professionals, chefs and therapists will ensure you reach your goal." www.chivasom.com (http://www.chivasom.com/content/huahin/huahin_introduction.htm)

I have always fancied staying at these fancy places but the fancy prices are too much for my pension. If you need a travelling companion? The train is not a bad way to go to Hua Hin.

April 10th, 2006, 08:02
Thanks Teepee excellent suggestions, the first sounds good perhaps a bit large unless there is no other option.

I ran into a problem, yes I did I really did forget about Songkraan. Not entirely, but there are no more suv cars to rent (or any other ones for that matter) and the train is fully booked. I briefly thought about the car with driver but dont feel like taking a driver along. Looks like I will be exploring the exquisite fine details of Bangkok for nine whole relaxing days, maybe I will even find a replacement for "high Voltage" that the American customs officers so kindly shredded.Teepee even the kings nieces villas on the Chao Phraya river are closed for Songkraan!

Looks like every-one left for Chiang Mai. It is fantastic for Songkraan, very intensely http://upload4.postimage.org/162861/HighVoltage_8in_RJ1_jpg.jpg (http://upload4.postimage.org/162861/photo_hosting.html)