PDA

View Full Version : Difference in entertainment budget for tourist versus expat

April 8th, 2006, 13:39
My last trip to LOS was in October of 2004. After that time, I took a very demanding job that lurched from urgent project to urgent project and left me no time for travel. I even broke up with my very sad BF as I could not find time to actually come see him to continue our relationship. Finally, the long hours and lack of time for travel led me to quit the job.

I have now landed a dream job which is web based and allows me to live anywhere in the world as long as I have access to the Internet and a phone. I've almost made a decision to move to BKK for at least six months (with lots of side trips to Phuket and Pattaya). It could even be longer since one of my close friends is moving to BKK to teach in January.

As I look at the practicalities of a move, I know that the cost of living is cheaper in LOS. However, the one budget item I can't quite figure out is the entertainment budget. As a tourist, obviously one usually has budgeted to go out almost every night and have fun and spend money. So, the entertainment budget can be very high.

As an expat working in LOS, I realize I'm not going to go out for hours every night like I do when on vacation. However, even at home, I will usually go out in some capacity 4-5 nights per week: bars, dinner and drinks with friends, performing arts, happy hours with coworkers. I'm sure in LOS, I will be out and about in the sois five or six nights a week (even if just for dinner and a couple of drinks before heading home) and will probably want to off a guy 2-3 times a week. I'm sure many expats posting here probably do the same.

I know I cannot and will not spend the same level of money I spend when on vacation (although my salary will be very good for LOS). When on vacation I would spend very freely, usually taking out an entourage, buying drinks for various captians and performers, tipping the performers on stage, springing for karaoke most nights for a large group. I was the epitome of a jai dee farang (or more likely a buffalo farang).

So, for all you expats, what is your weekly entertainment budget and what does that get you? What is the difference between how you spent as a tourist and how you spend now? What is realistic for an expat spending 70% of his time in BKK who wants to enjoy himself, off a couple of guys a week, buy drinks now and then for a cute boy, and not look too much like a cheap Charlie?

Pete

April 8th, 2006, 16:18
Well the budget will depend on your earnings. Somone like me could live very nicely on about Bht 5000 a night. Then again im filthy rich so thats fine for me, others not so much maybe. You must look at your own earnings and not what others do as we are all different

April 8th, 2006, 17:31
Since I spent 2 1/2 to three times that per night when on vacation, your figure is a step in the right direction; however, I doubt most expats spend $2500 USD per month on entertainment. Nor will I. There are a number of expats on this Board who go out multiple times each week and have a nice time on a fairly average entertainment budget. I just wonder what the range of budget might be for most average expats per week. 5k baht, 7, 10? Less? My mindset is still that of a tourist, so I'm having a hard time knowing what is realistic.

Pete

Boxer
April 8th, 2006, 17:51
Well its up to you as we say! I can go out have a few drinks and chat with friends or boys and come home with change from a 1000 baht note including dinner! Sure the boys will let you spend 5000 b + per night if you let em. You have answered your own question, its what you can afford.

April 9th, 2006, 19:02
I read this money-saving advice somewhere, Men Of Thailand, I think it was: To save money hire two live-in house-boys.
Why two?...One for cleaning, cooking, etc. and one for the 'other' bits: If you only hire one, the cleaning, cooking, etc. won't get done unless you do it yourself...because you'll be too busy doing the other bits? No, because he will think he is #1 wife & #1 wives do not clean, cook, etc. In essemce; you need hire #1 wife and a maid.

Give both a day off every week: your 'butterfly' day.
(Unless the maid is cute. Then just give #1 wife a day off. He won't mind; he'll be off to visit his Thai wife, husband, off-bar...glory-hole...sheep...whatever.)

April 9th, 2006, 20:02
So, for all you expats, what is your weekly entertainment budget and what does that get you? What is the difference between how you spent as a tourist and how you spend now? What is realistic for an expat spending 70% of his time in BKK who wants to enjoy himself, off a couple of guys a week, buy drinks now and then for a cute boy, and not look too much like a cheap Charlie?

Pete

When I first arrived to live in Bangkok in 1996 there was the natural urge to go out clubbing/partying every night but as most ex-pats will tell you that lifestyle soon takes its toll both physically and financially.

Now, in my mid 30s and in a fairly demanding but well paid job I expect to go out for dinner at least four times a week and to the bars/clubs maybe 4-5 times a week. sometimes dinner is the only purpose of the evening and other times dinner then the bars/clubs. This is to some extent also dependant of the b/f. He is studying in his first year in Uni so we have to take account of his workload when planning a night out.

Money wise I spend around 20,000Baht a week on entertainment for myself and the b/f, but that obviously rises when we take friends to dinner of to other places at my shout.

I know many expats who would be horrified that I spend so much but also many who spend 3-4 times that amount. It is all dependant on your own personal circumstances and of course where you choose to go to be entertained or dined.

You will never hit the right balance from day one until you get the tourist mentality we all had at one time out of your mind. Your bank balance will soon remind you if you are going wrong and that is the time to readjust your entertainment spending.

April 9th, 2006, 20:11
There is another difference between you Wanderingabout and the majority of Ex-pats posting here, whom, I think, are retired. When you are holding down a well-paid post you will not mind flinging money at your limmited quality time to ensure you get the most out of it.

When you are retired you may be on a fixed income a so spending time to make the most of your cash spending makes sense.

For myself I'm eagerly anticipating retirement soon, but finding my current income beyond my needs but realise I might drop dead tomorrow, so am prepared to splash a little, save a little.

April 9th, 2006, 21:23
There is another difference between you Wanderingabout and the majority of Ex-pats posting here, whom, I think, are retired. When you are holding down a well-paid post you will not mind flinging money at your limmited quality time to ensure you get the most out of it.

I fully agree with you NorthStar. I know many farangs who are retired here in Bangkok and they do find it quite a struggle to maintain even a reasonable lifestyle compared with their pre-retirement. I would imagine that it easy to look at future retirement in Thailand through rose tinted glasses but the reality can be a lot more harsh when it arrives.

All the time the Baht is weak against other major currencies things can go smoothly but if as is expected to happen during the next year or so the Baht regains its strength then things can drastically change for those on a retirement income.

I responded the way I did as Pete1969 said he had landed a dream job so I assumed the salary will permit him to some extent to splash money around a bit until such times as he feels it is time to do a reality check which only comes after having lived here a while.

But as you imply any of us can drop dead tomorrow so we should at least try to enjoy what we have while we are able to do so.

April 9th, 2006, 22:25
Yes, things are indeed different as a retired farang without the previously large cash injections.
There is a big adjustment period, of course. However, there is also so much less pressure. If you are on two week holiday, I think it is folly not to go out nearly every night. If you are here for good, you can go out any damn time you please, thus on any given night, might as well do something else.

April 10th, 2006, 09:06
I was an expat in Thailand 2 years ago, and am now a (fairly regular) tourist again, living 2.5 hours away by plane.

I definitely spent a lot less when I was living in Thailand than I do as a tourist. Part of the reason why is perception of prices: when you live in Thailand for a while, you begin to perceive prices from a more local perspective. As an expat, one also finds fun things to do that are not necessarily expensive -- an evening at the Suan Lum night bazaar with friends, dinner and drinks at a local restaurant that has live music, latin dance nights etc.).

Expats can also take advantage of cost-saving measures. When I lived in BKK, 5 of the 7 bars that I frequented allowed customers to buy spirits by the bottle (in my case Scots whiskey, but they also offer gin, vodka, etc.), and the price for this is very reasonable. For example, one would pay 950 baht for Chivas at a smart jazz club in Sukhumvit, 1300 for Jameson's on Silom Soi 4, 3200 for a litre of Black Label at the Conrad Hotel's Diplomat Bar. Even more "posh" (I use quotes because there is really no such thing in Bangkok) clubs such as Bed, who normally charge a cover charge, let you in for free if you are holding a bottle card.

Also as a resident, you may be entertaining in your home, which is somewhat less expensive than going out -- friends over for dinner, BBQ if you have a garden or large balcony, etc. Food shopping in Bangkok is fantastic -- the fruit and vegetable section in Tesco Lotus or Carrefour is beautiful. and Villa Market in Sukhumvit offer lovely things for European tastes (lovely beef from Thai-French, home-made pickled herring, nice cheeses...). Foodland also have a very nice meats section in most shops.

And for the naughty bit of entertainment, if you live in Bangkok (or Pattaya!), chances are that you will make some local friends who, depending on how charming you are, probably won't expect any form of payment for a night of passion. That said, I did often go for "naughty" massage during my lunch time, which, if you are working in an office, is a nice way to keep stress levels down!

As someone who works via the web, you have the option to stay in Pattaya rather than Bangkok, and you may find the cost of living to be even lower. You can hire a small house in Pattaya for the price of a flat in Bangkok. Restaurants have set meal prices geared towards the budgets of a population of farangs who are largely retired -- so on a lower budget than us working slaves -- but who still have a taste for nice food and a glass of wine two with their meal. Transportation is also a lot cheaper, with most trips costing only 10 baht, and a lot less frustrating than dealing with drivers in Bangkok.