View Full Version : The End ...............of an Angel. R.I.P. Allen Briggs.

August 10th, 2009, 17:22
It has now been reported reliably on the Gay Thailand forum that Allen indeed died this morning after being rushed into ICU.

He was a highly intelligent, affable and loving character and will be missed by all who knew him over the many years he lived in Thailand. In the days when he was fit and strong, he was a well known figure in the Pattaya gay community and was a great supporter of the various cabaret shows around the city. He had intended to compile a book about his "cabaret" experiences and I had several meetings with him last year in this connection.

His death removes yet another long time resident and reminds us all of our own mortality.

Perhaps the moderator would rename these postings about Allen to something more appropriate and relevant that includes his name.

Condolences to his family and friends.

adman5000
August 10th, 2009, 18:40
Thank you for sharing such a well written obituary.

August 10th, 2009, 20:29
he was a well known figure in the Pattaya gay community and was a great supporter of the various cabaret shows around the city. He had intended to compile a book about his "cabaret" experiences and I had several meetings with him last year in this connection.

How can anyone write a book about cabret shows in gay bars in Thailand. Surely each page would be the same old crap just like the shows themselves.

August 10th, 2009, 22:39
Beach Bunny wrote that I was ill informed about the time of Allen's death and that it took place this afternoon.
As I was posting from England, the time here was morning.

The actual time is unimportant; we have lost a lovely man.

For Andyinoz: yes, Allen had a great many cabaret experiences and was interested in the lives of the performers as well as the shows themselves. As an educated man, Allen would, I feel sure, have compiled an interesting study which although maybe not appealing to you, would have been of interest to others. He was well aware that standards varied from show to show: comparing Tiffany and Alcazar with say Copa was not his intention. He liked the performers and the glitz and how the ladyboys got involved in "show business".

I do hope this thread which is meant as an appreciation of Allen's life, is not going to descend into the usual mud-slinging and bitching which seems to mark many threads.

Smiles
August 10th, 2009, 22:48
" ... I do hope this thread which is meant as an appreciation of Allen's life, is not going to descend into the usual mud-slinging and bitching which seems to mark many threads ... "
Amen. And I hope that when it does (and it will) that our esteemed Moderator and/or Admin make an exception in this case and delete every single post which slings banal stupidities (like a couple of those already above) in this particular thread.

Incredibly sorry to hear this news about Allen.

August 10th, 2009, 22:57
" ... I do hope this thread which is meant as an appreciation of Allen's life, is not going to descend into the usual mud-slinging and bitching which seems to mark many threads ... "
Amen. And I hope that when it does (and it will) that our esteemed Moderator and/or Admin make an exception in this case and delete every single post which slings banal stupidities (like a couple of those already above) in this particular thread.

Incredibly sorry to hear this news about Allen.

I heartily agree. I had very little contact with Allen; just a couple of e-mails a good while back, but I had the impression of a very giving and sharing person. May he be with angels...again. I feel sure he felt he was in his twilight years.

Brad the Impala
August 11th, 2009, 01:29
This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

courtesy of The Doors

Bob
August 11th, 2009, 02:15
Nice obit, BU.

Allen was very helpful to me when I first came to Thailand and, for that, I'll aways be grateful. A classy gentleman, may he rest in peace.

He was lucky to have TJ, PM, and others who cared for him during his final days.

Khor tose
August 11th, 2009, 02:38
Nice obit, BU.

Allen was very helpful to me when I first came to Thailand and, for that, I'll aways be grateful. A classy gentleman, may he rest in peace.

He was lucky to have TJ, PM, and others who cared for him during his final days.

I did not know Allen, but after reading the obit, I wish that I did get a chance to meet him. He sounds like a remarkable gentleman. On another note--unlike the one line introduction--the obit is well written, and grammatically correct. So I have to ask BU, who wrote this outstanding obit?

TrongpaiExpat
August 11th, 2009, 03:42
It's a cut and paste from Spice. Link just above the photo on the original post.

RIP Allen

quiet1
August 11th, 2009, 06:42
Nice obit, BU.
Puh-lease. Didn't the proper use of English syntax and grammar, not to mention spelling, tip you off?

[edited: I didn't realize there was a second page to this thread. TronpaiExpat posted part of what I said a couple hours earlier...]

August 12th, 2009, 23:56
I think the stalwarts of the Pattay Gay Community should start a Memorial Fund and erect a statue of this Angel somewhere in Boyztown

Wesley
August 13th, 2009, 05:29
I think the stalwarts of the Pattay Gay Community should start a Memorial Fund and erect a statue of this Angel somewhere in Boyztown

I am sure the statue will be just under yours,

For me, I was 49 and thought life was over at that age, I found the forum my accident realizing I needed a real break, After reading the forum, it was Allen who let me know that in Pattaya and Thailand in genera,l Life is just beginning for us over 30. Thank god for his effort to make people feel good about themselves and open up life for those who like me thought an older guy was no longer welcome in the West. Sine then I have found many playgrounds but, none quite like the one Allen first introduced me to.

Rest in peace my friend. I hope they do erect a statue in your name. it would be well received.

Wes

anakot
August 13th, 2009, 06:39
The "weekly report" and the postings on the message boards have helped many new comers to Thailand and have formed the "first unforgotten link" for many prior to their arrival. Many people have a link with gay Thailand though AllenтАЩs efforts in fostering tourism and friendship among the world-wide gay community.

Ditto.

Thank you BU for this revealing portrait of Allen's early life.

He was a great asset to PTYA. Quietly spoken, modest and yet authoritative he was an inspiring fellow. His work on PG.com was fantastic.