PDA

View Full Version : Most expensive country to fall in love in?

cdnmatt
August 10th, 2009, 15:53
My vote goes to Thailand! :king:

Geez, and to think, I used to bitch that living in downtown Vancouver, Canada was too expensive. :drunken:

August 10th, 2009, 18:32
My vote goes to Thailand!

On what grounds?

You have said that your only "fall in love" experience has been with a Hungarian illegal immigrant in Canada (which you are still whingeing about the possible future financial consequences of, although so far there have been none) and that all your "relationships" here (in Thailand) have been strictly commercial, so you certainly have no such personal experience.

As far as I can recall none of those posting here who now have, or believe they have had, genuine "fall in love" relationships with Thais, as distinct from commercial ones, such as Smiles, Dodger, Fattman and myself (and many others) have ever considered the financial cost a factor - in fact the financial costs in those cases have been consistently been reported as inconsequential.

There can be only two objective factors for the "most expensive country to fall in love in": the dowry, or the equivalent, and the cost of living.

The "dowry" in Thailand varies from nothing in my own case (my partner is an orphan) to 100 million baht for six months with Tata Young. It is unlikely to be a major factor in most Farang/Thai relationships.

The cost of living in Thailand, or anywhere else, is as long or as short as a piece of string. Indices vary, but none rate Thailand anywhere near the top.

cdnmatt, if what you say is true and you are an affluent, presentable 27 year old you should be able to offer an unusual personal perspective to this board. That seems unlikely.

August 10th, 2009, 18:36
Only someone who hasn't been around much would say that Thailand is expensive, let alone most expensive. For $1,000/month -- less than minimum wage in many places -- you can "own" just about any Thai boy you want. One of the greatest bargains anywhere.

cdnmatt
August 10th, 2009, 19:47
Geez Gone Fishing, do you take everything so seriously? I was just kidding around. Hell, I'm in Thailand, cheap living, great weather & people, laid back life (excluding work), great food, a couple tropical islands in my backyard, tons of excellent places to visit within a 2 hour plane flight, etc. What the hell do I have to complain about? I could just as easily be sitting in a cubicle in Toronto right now, busting my ass in hopes of making my boss happy.

And you know me from maybe 15 posts on some gay Thailand message board, and you're actually going to pass judgement on me regarding what I know about life & love? Come on, you only live once, quit being so cynical. Don't worry, I'm not new to life, and I've been through my fair share too, just as I'm sure you have.

And $1000/month? I wish... times that number by 3, and we're getting closer. And I haven't even bought a water buffalo yet! Fuck... I think I might be in trouble. :drunken:

I don't care though. I'm happier than I have been since the beginning of 2005, he's definitely happy to have me in life, so it's all good. As it goes in Thailand, take 'er by the day, enjoy the moment, and don't worry too much about the future. And for the cynics, I bet he has more genuine feelings towards me than you'd think. I mean, I've even caught him hiding tears from me, because he thought I was flirting with other guys, when I was just being friendly. That, and tons of other things, and there's no way 100% of that is a show.

An for unique perspective as a 27yo, fucked if I know. I guess the major advantage is probably that I actually still enjoy, for example, going out and drinking whiskey until 6am, whereas I'm assuming many of you don't. So we get to enjoy things that we both like together a bit more, I'm guessing.

As for "presentable", I'm not really sure anymore. I'm definitely not getting the same feedback as I was a couple years ago, that's for sure. Actually, everyone who remembers me is telling me how fat I got. I know I've gained some weight in the past couple years, but really, I'm still constantly hiking up my 32" waist jeans so they don't fall off me, so I couldn't be that fat. I wouldn't mind losing a quick 10 - 15lbs though, and getting myself back into 30" jeans.

And for those who say they only see us as ATMs, honestly, that's our own fault. When I'm sitting in their squalid little apartment, drinking whiskey until 7am, all I see are signs of desperation, with a strong feeling of obligation to help support their family. I don't see any greed or deviousness there at all. Do you really think these boys show up in Pattaya, hoping to fuck five different people a week, and have some pervert see how far they can get a frozen banana up their ass? I mean, really... treat them with the dignity, respect, and love that they deserve, and there's a good chance it'll get returned.

Wow, long post! Can you tell I've been drinking? :P

August 10th, 2009, 20:12
You're paying your boy $3,000 a month???

cdnmatt
August 10th, 2009, 20:31

I don't pay HIM $3,000/month, no, but everything included, I'd say it's around there. He makes about 25,000 THB off me a month, or thereabouts I'd say. But then add in riding elephants, going to the island, buying clothes, eating, drinking, etc... yeah, I'd say around 90,000 THB a month. Well, that's probably exaggerating. Say 70,000.

August 10th, 2009, 20:32
So, where else can you get a quality boy to be your pretend boyfriend for less than a thousand bucks a month.

As for the other expenses, well yeah -- you know what it costs to spend a weekend at Disneyland these days?

August 10th, 2009, 20:34
Gone Fisting, I didn't realise that a dowry was required for a male hooker with a drug problem that is kept in an outhouse with the dogs.

August 10th, 2009, 20:36

I don't pay HIM $3,000/month, no, but everything included, I'd say it's around there. He makes about 25,000 THB off me a month, or thereabouts I'd say. But then add in riding elephants, going to the island, buying clothes, eating, drinking, etc... yeah, I'd say around 90,000 THB a month. Well, that's probably exaggerating. Say 70,000.

Another nutter

cdnmatt
August 10th, 2009, 20:44

Another nutter

Another cynic. :P

Haven't you ever watched the movie Pretty Woman? lol

August 10th, 2009, 20:50
Yeah, I saw Lord of the Rings, too -- but I don't think there are really Hobbits out there. LOL.

Wesley
August 10th, 2009, 21:15
My vote goes to Thailand! :king:

Geez, and to think, I used to bitch that living in downtown Vancouver, Canada was too expensive. :drunken:

That depends on how much stuff you plan to buy him or just enjoy the relationship and be happy . hre in the Philippines as soon as they start asking for things nd money I move on tho the next guy in line.

Wes

maisoui
August 10th, 2009, 21:45
Yeah, I saw Lord of the Rings, too -- but I don't think there are really Hobbits out there. LOL.

You should pay a visit to Babylon. I think they've moved in from GSM. :salute:

Smiles
August 10th, 2009, 22:01
" ... Geez Gone Fishing, do you take everything so seriously? I was just kidding around ... "
Call me serious, but your original post didn't 'feel' like kidding ... and I guess that would be why Gone Fishing would react in the way he did. I got exactly the same this-guy's-serious vibes. Usually when someone is tongue in cheek about something there are subtle little nuances which signal that's the case.

So to carry on being serious: My pension income (which is what we live on ... with some reasonable padding from his tour guide/taxi business) is quite adequate for a very good life in Thailand. But it would be much more difficult in Canada to live like we do in Thailand on the same income.
Bottom line is that the three big ticket items for anybody: i.e. food, accommodation, and sanook are incredibly cheap in Thailand compared to North America (and especially Vancouver, especially in the West End), and I don't doubt Europe.

(Just kidding :cheers: )

Impulse
August 11th, 2009, 02:02
If your gay then I might say an African or middle eastern country as you might pay with your life.

cdnmatt
August 11th, 2009, 03:08
Smiles, I used to live in West Van (W Georgia and Bute, to be exact), and I honestly don't know if my life is cheaper in Thailand or not. Then again, that's out of my own stupidity. Ok, monthly breakdown in THB:

VANCOUVER:

Rent + utilities = 60,000
Food, cigs, beer, etc.. = 25,000
Nights out, and having fun = 30,000
Misc = 15,000

TOTAL: 130,000

THAILAND

Rent + utilities @ Mosaik = 32,000
Food, cigs, beer, etc... = 15,000
Boyfriend = 25,000
Days / nights out (with BF), having fun, etc. = 40,000
Misc = 15,000

TOTAL: 137,000

So yeah, at least for me, Thailand isn't exactly cheap, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. I guess I'm still in vacation mode, but that will have to settle down shortly, because I'm not willing to continue spending this kind of cash. I'm not complaining though, because I'm having a blast, but yeah, this can't continue.

Smiles
August 11th, 2009, 04:03
" ... I guess I'm still in vacation mode, but that will have to settle down shortly, because I'm not willing to continue spending this kind of cash. I'm not complaining though, because I'm having a blast, but yeah, this can't continue.... "
Exactly: 'vacation mode'.
When I was coming to Thailand annually, sometimes twice a year, things were lush and extravagant. When I made the decision to retire in Thailand it became pretty obvious from the get-go that vacation-style spending (on a day to day basis) was not going to be in the cards, and frankly I don't think I really wanted it to be in the cards ... even if I could afford it.

We still do many of the things we did when I was coming on holidays (mainly centred around traveling all over the country), but things like that now happen every month or so rather than every week. I would guess this kind of reality is very common amongst expats.

Just a very cursory comparison: You spend 32,000 baht a month on accommodations (in Thailand) . . . . . we spend 8000 baht a month (for that I get a 1200 sq ft, 2-story, 2-bdrm, 2 bath, semi furnished townhouse 6 minute walk from the beach, and downtown). That in itself is one huge difference.
I should add that the main reason our rent is at that low figure is that we rent by the year ... i.e. I pay up front for 12 months. Our landlady loves to have the place rented, like clockwork every year, with no effort on her part. Places the same as ours rented by the month would be in the 12,000 to 15,000 range.

You spend 25,000 baht on the boyfriend . . . . . I have no comparison with that because I don't give him any set amount (so that would be 0 baht :blackeye: ). We just live together as a couple and our monthly living expenses are what they are: probably somewhat more expensive than being alone, but not by much. But our entire living expenses together don't add up to 25,000. He also has his own income, which is actually pretty good in high season. And he contributes.

You spend 15,000 baht a month on 'food, cigs, beer' . . . . . No cigs here (either of us), and two 24 packs of beer (+ or - 1000 baht depending on what you buy) and a litre of wine a month is the norm. We eat out all the time (at night that is. Breakfast and most lunches ~ if there are any ~ at mostly at home ... but that's not set in stone either), but it's something along the lines of night market, Thai-style food 4 or 5 nights a week (cheap!!! and delicious!!!!) and things more exotic 2 or 3 nights a week. The total cost of that, would probably run around the same as your figure of 15,000 baht, but that's just a ball park figure.

40,000 baht a month for entertainment for you . . . . . Not a chance for us. Neither of us are bar flies, and we go to a Thai music place we enjoy very much twice a month on average ... lots of spontaneous pool-playing twice a week, some minor bar hopping in the Hua Hin 'Zona Romantica' maybe twice a month. Lots of at-home snuggling at night, at home watching movies on the Big Flat Screen. Lots of early nights, because the sun is hot, the beach can be exhausting, and we like sleeping early (both of us seem to be morning guys, not so much night people).

Not suggesting our life style is for everyone . . . hell, it wasn't for me either, in the old holiday days. But we like it, and it makes for a great, reasonably inexpensive life in Thailand. We have amount of cash left over at the end of the month to do all sorts of 'special' trips whenever we feel like it.

If you're interested, I started a more detailed thread on this very subject back last December: << gay-thailand/thoughts-budgeting-for-living-thailand-long-term-t16775.html?hilit=budgeting%20in%20thailand (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand/thoughts-budgeting-for-living-thailand-long-term-t16775.html?hilit=budgeting%20in%20thailand) >> Out of curiosity I read it again and mostly it's along the lines of what I've written above, but more detailed.
Lots of good discussion on expenses in Thailand by other folks as well.

August 11th, 2009, 06:34
I visit Thailand for 5 weeks in the year, 2 holiday trips basically. I have always had boyfriends on a regular basis and I have never paid the sort of money you are paying? My first boyfriend lasted 5 years before I could no longer control the finances, he just became too expensive. I am not strong in the 'no'department. You need to sit down with him and analyse what is going on with the money. Their rental costs are about 3000 Baht, if the stay alone, they earn about 5000 Baht + take-offs at 1500 Baht a time if they are lucky. That is a lot of take-offs in a month to get to your level of spending? I understand your feelings towards him as I think that most men have the same with their boyfriends, and I wish you every happiness. He must be incredibly beautiful if at 26 he is still the pick of the bunch.

Ron-Heng Vancouver
August 11th, 2009, 09:01
[attachment=0:3k8ocs52]111111710001_Great shot ben and ron seattle.jpg[/attachment:3k8ocs52]Hi CDMatt and others...

wow... the posts show that it's what your choices are that decide your budget.

We live in Vancouver, and I got to tell you -- it's expensive. But the livability and beauty say it's worth it. Sure, my boyfriend of 12 years misses Thailand, and his family (who also bought a condo on the floor below to use the two or three times a yr they visit), but we love Vancouver!

Probably in 3-4 years we'll head off for five months or so to Thailand to live and spend the rest of it here in Vancouver.

Who knows? Matt, do you miss Vancouver?

We do agree with other posters here - once you leave Thailand, you do miss it.

Ron and Ben

Wesley
August 11th, 2009, 10:28
If your gay then I might say an African or middle eastern country as you might pay with your life.

And I almost did in Kyrgyzstan, Imagine 15 boys beating the hell out of you for talking out your ganbage after dark of course beign American at that particular time time didn't help.

I can get twice what I pay for here there and no one snubs you at the bars because you re over 50. damn what good luck we have.

Wes

Impulse
August 11th, 2009, 10:40
Well Wes,I think they would beat the hell out of you in any country where you were "talking out your ganbage after dark or during day light hours.

August 11th, 2009, 10:43

As the old saying goes "There is a fool born every minute" and (unfortunately) most of them are in Pattaya.... 555 555 555 5555 555
5555555555555555555555555555555 :cheers: :cheers:

Beachlover
August 11th, 2009, 15:18
My vote goes to Thailand!

On what grounds?

You have said that your only "fall in love" experience has been with a Hungarian illegal immigrant in Canada (which you are still whingeing about the possible future financial consequences of, although so far there have been none) and that all your "relationships" here (in Thailand) have been strictly.....

I don't think he was being completely serious or making an "absolute" statement... just making an observation that he is suddenly spending a lot of money. And it doesn't look like he's afraid to admit he's spending more than he needs to...

Do you ever wonder if you should be directing your "intellect" towards something more constructive?

Beachlover
August 11th, 2009, 15:26
Yeah, there's a major difference between being on vacation and actually settling down to live somewhere... I sometimes spend more per week on accomodation when on holidays in cheap developing countries than I pay in rent back home in what is apparently one of the most expensive cities in the world to live... (at least if you want to live near the city).

Well you do sound pretty happy and like you're having a lot of fun cdnmatt... being happy is what matters. Money and everything else just facilitates that.

August 11th, 2009, 16:53
Geez Gone Fishing, do you take everything so seriously? I was just kidding around. ..... I guess the major advantage is probably that I actually still enjoy, for example, going out and drinking whiskey until 6am, whereas I'm assuming many of you don't. So we get to enjoy things that we both like together a bit more, I'm guessing.

You have a rather strange view of "kidding around".

While my partner and I do not "enjoy, for example, going out and drinking whiskey until 6am" I imagine that many here do, and if that is their idea of fun good luck to them. If you see being able to do so as "the major advantage" to being 27 and that is your idea of "getting to enjoy things that we both like together a bit more", then you have my sympathy. You are old well before your time.

Do you ever wonder if you should be directing your "intellect" towards something more constructive?

Only when I read posts such as yours (joking) or andyinoz's (serious)!

Gone Fisting, I didn't realise that a dowry was required for a male hooker with a drug problem that is kept in an outhouse with the dogs.

Neither did I. You either have a very strange imagination or you are confusing me with someone else. While the rest of your point is not worth replying to as it is untrue and beneath contempt, I feel that I should make it very clear that my partner does not have nor has he ever had any "drug problem", nor has he ever taken any drugs of any sort; he smokes a maximum of one packet of cigarettes a year and barely drinks any alcohol, ever.

cdnmatt
August 11th, 2009, 18:04
Who knows? Matt, do you miss Vancouver?

Well, originally I planned a five week trip to Asia beginning May 1st, spending the majority of my time in Kuala Lumpur to visit my parents (dad works for Exxon). It's now August 11th, and I'm planning to go back to Vancouver for about a month to take care of some things, get a 1 year non-immigrant visa (hopefully), and come back out here. So no, I don't really miss Vancouver. :)

Vancouver is an amazing city, and there are a few things I miss I guess; friends, Stanely Park, English Bay, the awesome festivals they have during the summer, every once in a while I'll have a bad day and miss the luxury of being a local instead of a foreigner, etc. On the whole though, I think Thailand is a better fit for me. I'm happier, less stressed, more ambitious, and as a result, am working much harder and probably making three times what I did in Canada. When I wake up here, I actually look forward to the day whereas with Vancouver I'd wake up and think, "Man, I still have all this shit to do? Are you kidding me?".

That, and in Vancouver everyone is always busy, always stressed, always worried about some problem, always trying to better themselves in some way, etc., and I think that very negatively effects your emotional well-being. You don't get that as much here. When I had a bad day at work in Vancouver, the best I could usually hope for was dinner & drinks with a few friends, then maybe Yuk Yuks for stand-up comedy. That's great and all, but didn't do too much. Here when I have a bad day at work, I end up at some small open-air Karaoke bar with a bunch of guys, and after getting some music and whiskey in me, a few hugs and kisses from the BF while we have our arms wrapped around each other, I instantly feel a million times better. All that bad stuff just disappears, I end up having an amazing night, and wake up the next day ready to take on the world again. :)

Plus, here it's a new adventure for me. I still have all of Isaan, and the smaller cities in the surrounding countries to check out, get to learn a new culture & language, etc. Sure, Vancouver is ranked as the world's most livable city, but nonetheless, I know what to expect living there. Basically, same shit, different day.

So yeah, I think I'll stick with Thailand, assuming immigration lets me. I was actually just planning to spend a couple weeks in Pattaya, fuck some hooker's brains out, then head back to Canada. Sure enough though, I end up falling in love. I'm under no delusions, and know he wouldn't be with me if it wasn't for the money, but that's just the dynamics of the relationship. I'm completely fine with that, I know he's loving life right now, and I don't believe that makes the affection any less genuine. And you can't say people in Canada don't eye up a potential partner due to the fact he has money. I figure at least this way it's upfront and honest from the beginning.

Whew, long post again! I better to work.

August 11th, 2009, 18:41
Gone Fisting, I didn't realise that a dowry was required for a male hooker with a drug problem

Oh that explains a lot, has he taken to preying on outpatients to make ends meet?

I fully understand the dilemma people face when they retire. When I worked for "Age Concern" in London to pay my debt to society for some silly little misunderstanding I saw that even in their home country elderly people battle horribly the minute their income from their jobs end. Most fall into the trap of continuing and this is quite understandable to live at the same level they did before they retired which to most it seems is unfortunately also well beyond their means. Add to this moving to Thailand and living like a tourist not to mention the "paid companion" Im sure many will indeed consider life very expensive.

Beachlover
August 11th, 2009, 20:29
I think Thailand is a better fit for me. I'm happier, less stressed, more ambitious, and as a result, am working much harder and probably making three times what I did in Canada. When I wake up here, I actually look forward to the day whereas with Vancouver I'd wake up and think, "Man, I still have all this shit to do? Are you kidding me?".

That, and in Vancouver everyone is always busy, always stressed, always worried about some problem, always trying to better themselves in some way, etc., and I think that very negatively effects your emotional well-being. You don't get that as much here. When I had a bad day at work in Vancouver, the best I could usually hope for was dinner & drinks with a few friends, then maybe Yuk Yuks for stand-up comedy. That's great and all, but didn't do too much. Here when I have a bad day at work, I end up at some small open-air Karaoke bar with a bunch of guys, and after getting some music and whiskey in me, a few hugs and kisses from the BF while we have our arms wrapped around each other, I instantly feel a million times better. All that bad stuff just disappears, I end up having an amazing night, and wake up the next day ready to take on the world again. :)

Plus, here it's a new adventure for me. I still have all of Isaan, and the smaller cities in the surrounding countries to check out, get to learn a new culture & language, etc. Sure, Vancouver is ranked as the world's most livable city, but nonetheless, I know what to expect living there. Basically, same shit, different day.

Hey cdnmatt,

Woah... this really has me thinking. You really feel that way since moving to Thailand? More productive? More ambitious?

What you've described is eerily similar to the way I'm feeling about Sydney right now. Maybe I should consider other options.

I'm assuming the kind of work/business you operate is pretty mobile right? So do you work remotely?

Ron-Heng Vancouver
August 11th, 2009, 21:29
Matt

Thanks so much for your insight and well thought out reply. The ideas are very helpful.

I have seen/felt the same when I am in Thailand, but then again, I have only been there twice (next trip will be in Dec), and then we (my BF and I ) both are under the care and support of his wealthy family there in BKK,wen we are in Thailand, so there is little to hassle me. Maybe that is a invalid lens at this point. If I were alone, I might be more worried. The adventure thing does ring true! Also, from what I hear that goes on in Malaysia, I would rather be in Thailand. There is this calmness, innocence, and yes adventure that exists there.

Keep me posted on your activities - you seem interesting.

Ron

August 11th, 2009, 23:05
Matt,
Just a quick note to mention that I was the second person to reply to the very first post you made on SGT in which I complimented you on your approach to life in Thailand. I just want to write again to underscore the fact that I think you are on exactly the right track with your approach to your life here. You are one of the most clear headed people writing on this board. I am certain you will do well.
Best of luck in all your endeavors.
Annan

Wesley
August 12th, 2009, 01:12
Well Wes,I think they would beat the hell out of you in any country where you were "talking out your ganbage after dark or during day light hours.

I do assume you Take out your garbage adn not leave it inside but take it to the dumpsters like most people if not , then that explains the rant above

Wow, would you like to expand on your comment. So, you think I am such an asshole that I deserve to get the shit beat out me or are you saying I look for trouble . or are you just sayign in a rather impolite way you hate me and I deservee all the hell I can catch from anyone who meets me. God , what the hell did I do to you to get such a remark.

I realize I am not all that quick in words as others here but, I don't know of anything I have said that would make it okay for someone to beat the hell out of me just because I am there.

I realize you must not be a fan of mine but God , I would not wish that on anyone including you. I don't even know you and have no idea why you would imply i need or deserve to get the hell beat out of me. I assume your jealous or that I am an asshole. I am not sure which, however I can't imagine a person wanting someone to get hurt for no good reason. Ask anyone who knows me personally and see if they think I have the kind of personality that would cause me to get the hell beat out of me just because I am an American in a Muslim country.

God what an imbecile !

Wes

Impulse
August 12th, 2009, 01:48
Wes,Ive been on pain killers for my back and I wasnt thinking clearly as usual.I was just poking fun at your misspelling of talking out the ganbage,Im usually caught taking out the garbage. It wasnt worth posting,and after I posted it,I was wondering if you would take it the wrong way. You did obviuosly take it the wrong way as happens on internet postings. Im an atrocious speller at times,though not in the same category of Bottoms Up thank fully,so I have no right making light of someone elses. I enjoy your accounts of the Philippines.Been there almost as much as Thailand.

Wesley
August 12th, 2009, 04:42
Wes,Ive been on pain killers for my back and I wasnt thinking clearly as usual.I was just poking fun at your misspelling of talking out the ganbage,Im usually caught taking out the garbage. It wasn't worth posting,and after I posted it,I was wondering if you would take it the wrong way. You did obviously take it the wrong way as happens on internet postings. Im an atrocious speller at times,though not in the same category of Bottoms Up thank fully,so I have no right making light of someone elses. I enjoy your accounts of the Philippines.Been there almost as much as Thailand. BTW I corrected you spelling above LOL

Hey no problem, I apologize, I assumed you have seen enough of my posting to know I am not that great at typing. Also the new Firefox shows you when you have misspelled. Recently I have developed cataracts and my surgery is set for about 3 weeks. I am trying to wait until business is finished so I can have time to recover just before I return back to the Philippines on the 15th of September.

With Firefox that automatically checks your spelling laziness is the only reason to get caught or, in my case a lack of ability to read or notice the line under your bad typing or spelling. Usually I am not all that hard to get along with Smiles may disagree but, we have had a long running rant with each other mostly friendly, on my part any way. He gets in a wad occasionally when I am teasing him as you did with me. Writing, as opposed to
a personal conversation face to face, is that I can't detect the twinkle in your eye or, the little smile that may give it away that you are simply jesting.

I will say that beach Bunny is the only one I have on ignore and I enjoy everyone's postings usually and rarely do I rant like above but I misunderstood your post as you did mine. Recently I have been a bit touchy on one other item but, I think I am over that as well. I hope this and the return PM makes everything right with us in every way. be sure to look me up the next time you in the Philippines and the drinks for the evening are on me.

All the best,

Wes

Ron-Heng Vancouver
August 12th, 2009, 11:44
hey Matt

I was curious and have a question - you stated you make 3x as much in Thailand as in Vancouver.. what do you do for work there in Thailand and under what visa authority?

Many thanks

francois
August 12th, 2009, 12:36
hey Matt
I was curious and have a question - you stated you make 3x as much in Thailand as in Vancouver.. what do you do for work there in Thailand and under what visa authority?
Many thanks

Perhaps Matt is a Word Merchant?

cdnmatt
August 12th, 2009, 17:01

Just software development. Been doing this basically my entire adult life, and had a small company going before, but sold that, and have just been a contractor for the past few years, while I get my own things going again. I just have a small handful of clients, and at any given time have a few hundred hours of work sitting here that everyone would like done yesterday.

After 7 years of doing this though, I absolutely hate the work. But now that I'm in Thailand and enjoying myself, sitting here behind a computer typing source code isn't as much of a drag as it used to be. That's all I meant. :)

As for a work visa, can't see why I'd ever need one. I just can't ever have a Thai client, which is totally fine with me.

August 12th, 2009, 18:02

Another nutter
the right description,well done

Beachlover
August 12th, 2009, 19:34
Just software development. Been doing this basically my entire adult life, and had a small company going before, but sold that, and have just been a contractor for the past few years, while I get my own things going again. I just have a small handful of clients, and at any given time have a few hundred hours of work sitting here that everyone would like done yesterday.

After 7 years of doing this though, I absolutely hate the work. But now that I'm in Thailand and enjoying myself, sitting here behind a computer typing source code isn't as much of a drag as it used to be. That's all I meant. :)

As for a work visa, can't see why I'd ever need one. I just can't ever have a Thai client, which is totally fine with me.

Beauty... you can work remotely from anywhere in the world you like.

Most farangs - who are tied to working in their home country, unless they are willing to accept a lower income - would be jealous.

August 12th, 2009, 21:18
As for a work visa, can't see why I'd ever need one.

unless you get caught here working without the correct visa and work permit

August 13th, 2009, 01:16

Don't upset (http://www.doe.go.th/service3_en.aspx) anyone!

тАЬ Work тАЭ means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

Ron-Heng Vancouver
August 13th, 2009, 01:39
Thanks Matt

I suspected it was software or computer-related and I certainly can understand the 'new found" energy. Good for you.

Re visa...as if you would be caught...

Good luck. We are pleased to see some happiness or a forum which sometimes attracts broodish, cranky and "grumpy old men".

We love sunshine/

ron and ben

cdnmatt
August 13th, 2009, 02:55

Don't upset (http://www.doe.go.th/service3_en.aspx) anyone!

тАЬ Work тАЭ means to engage in work by exerting energy or using knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits.

I guess I'd have to speak with a lawyer, but I don't believe I'm violating any immigration laws at all. I'm prohibited from employment in Thailand, but I'm not employed in Thailand. I'm employed by people in Canada and the US. I have absolutely no business ties with any Thai contacts or businesses, etc. Again, as long as I don't ever bring on a Thai client, or offer my services within the borders of Thailand, I can't see why the government would care. I'm not affecting the economy whatsoever, except for dumping a bit of money into it.

Then again, who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I don't see why the government would give a shit though. I'm not taking a Thai's job away, and not competing against any Thai businesses.

Beachlover
August 13th, 2009, 04:08
If you were violating immigration laws than millions of other tourists who check their e-mails and action work stuff from their blackberries/laptops while on holidays would be too...

Wesley
August 13th, 2009, 04:24
Thanks Matt

I suspected it was software or computer-related and I certainly can understand the 'new found" energy. Good for you.

Re visa...as if you would be caught...

Good luck. We are pleased to see some happiness or a forum which sometimes attracts broodish, cranky and "grumpy old men".

We love sunshine/

ron and ben

Amen to that, give me all the sunshine you can, I love to ski, para sail go out in genera,al hve fun , I have always been that way for me. I love life and treasure every minute. I think happy people live longer.

Wes

Wesley
August 13th, 2009, 04:39
If you were violating immigration laws than millions of other tourists who check their e-mails and action work stuff from their blackberries/laptops while on holidays would be too...

God knows I am guilty as hell of that, when in Thailand I spent my early hours doing just that for two hours taking care of the important stuff and letting the slow stuff go. If we were not able to do that the world would stop for me.
In other news, I almost had a Filipino who is muscular and hot which I am interested in, try to talk me into going to pattya with him, he is hot and already has a ticket for Pattaya on the 18th of September,, God is he hot. You guys that are looking for some free trade should be on the look out for him. if you want his ID on Planet Romeo let me know HA ha.

I told him to say hi to all the bar owners in Sunee for m3e Ha ha hope memories is still going strong I suspect he will visit, if he does he will be in competition for your boys, he is 24 and hot , hope he is not too old for you guys. LOL.

Miss you guys there at memories . I will see you next year as I am planning a trip to Boracay this year in the Philippines instead of Thailand while they settle the mess with George.

All the best , and for Gods sake "HAVE FUN GUYS!

Wes

Khor tose
August 13th, 2009, 05:46
Miss you guys there at memories . I will see you next year as I am planning a trip to Boracay this year in the Philippines instead of Thailand. All the best , and for Gods sake "HAVE FUN GUYS!
Wes[/color]

Hello Wes, the Banana Saging Guest house is suppose to be gay. However, no matter where you stay please report back with details and pictures. I would love to know more about Boracay. Remember take you camera and write little notes to yourself and share when you return.

Wesley
August 13th, 2009, 06:30
Miss you guys there at memories . I will see you next year as I am planning a trip to Boracay this year in the Philippines instead of Thailand. All the best , and for Gods sake "HAVE FUN GUYS!
Wes[/color]

Hello Wes, the Banana Saging Guest house is suppose to be gay. However, no matter where you stay please report back with details and pictures. I would love to know more about Boracay. Remember take you camera and write little notes to yourself and share when you return.

Well when you have a Filipino with you the short vids and a minimum of 2 gigs of pics are always the case. They love a picture and I recently Bought one of those New Olympus camera's that do all but click the pic for you and you can time that if you like, It really did some of the best pictures I have ever seen from a snap and shoot Camera. I am not a professional and I prefer the ones with a great zoom digitally and lens zoom as well, It will take night shots of the moon off the water you would not hardly believe if you set it in night mode. Also the zoom will bring in a ship so close you can see the crew which by eyes you can barely see.I am sure wee will come back with lots of pics. Likely I will send them to Oogleman and let him poist them on his site and omn T&T he ois good at it and its not one of my strong point so I generally send them to him and he does the posting for me on his site then you just gpo to the web site. he has my cebu Pics and my birthday pics ther on line for all to see. I will post here and put a link to his pictorial that way you can see them all with out stretching the bandwidth here. Do you want boy pics or scenery ha ha lots of Japanese there if you like them. I do . There are lots in the Philippines and they are quite good in bed and are not as shy as you might think.

I look forward to going, Not sure if it it wil be a birthday thing or not but I think it will if I can find a young man to go with me which likely will be easy.

So I will be posting likely in October when its not so hot. I have already ask my director there to plan the trip to that guest house on your recommendation. So, I will report back as to my stay and let all of you know all I can about the gay venue and the boys and the scenery. Some are looking for a gay resort , but my last trip the water was nto all that accessible so I wanted lots of pools so, this time I plan to do a lot of snorkeling close to shore and checking out the guys. I always loose weight when I get to the new food there. So by my birthday I should not too over weight 180 or 185 is my best and most comfortable weight.

All the best,

Wes

August 13th, 2009, 06:41
185 Wesley being american you must be talking KILOS

August 13th, 2009, 07:30
I guess I'd have to speak with a lawyer, but I don't believe I'm violating any immigration laws at all. I'm prohibited from employment in Thailand, but I'm not employed in Thailand. I'm employed by people in Canada and the US. I have absolutely no business ties with any Thai contacts or businesses, etc. Again, as long as I don't ever bring on a Thai client, or offer my services within the borders of Thailand, I can't see why the government would care. I'm not affecting the economy whatsoever, except for dumping a bit of money into it.

Then again, who knows, maybe I'm wrong. I don't see why the government would give a shit though. I'm not taking a Thai's job away, and not competing against any Thai businesses.

up to you if you get a legal opinion or not. in any case, its unlikely you will get caught unless you get on the wrong side of somebody and they report you. but if you do get caught, ignorance of the law or your sense of logic wont get you very far with the police.

further info:
9. Foreigners entering Thailand are not permitted to work, regardless of their types of visa, unless they are granted a work permit. Those who intend to work in Thailand must hold the correct type of visa to be eligible to apply for a work permit.
Ministry of Foreign Affaris (http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2487)

August 13th, 2009, 11:46
I knew a well-to-do guy in San Francisco that "fell in love" with a younger Asian guy.

After they broke up he got sued for "palimony".

Paid out close to a quarter-million ( dollars, not baht!)

I'd say the US is pretty expensive.

And for those all hot for "gay marriage", remember, that also means "Gay divorice" and "Gay alimony"!

August 13th, 2009, 22:56
For $1,000/month...

you can "own" ...

just about any Thai boy you want.

One of the greatest bargains anywhere.

The idee that you can buy and "own" people !

horrible ! ! !

Wesley
August 14th, 2009, 02:13

Sorry My friend, The most I have ever weighed is 220, I lost a lot in the Philippines last year getting use to those eggs with the embryo still in side, HA Ha.. SO, I was down to a 34 and 180 when I got back to the USA. I have gained a few pounds here, but if they still try to feed me those half hatched eggs, I am sure I will be back to 180 pretty quick LOL.

You have a great day Andy. You posts at the least are entertaining, keep up the good work.

Wes

Khor tose
August 14th, 2009, 07:00

I lost a lot in the Philippines last year getting use to those eggs with the embryo still in side,

The eggs are called Balut, and you are more of a man then I am if you can eat a baby chick embryo with feathers, that smells like sh**--uuuuugh. :shaking2:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(egg)