PDA

View Full Version : Revolution of Anomie: dark underbellies

Smiles
August 9th, 2009, 13:20
Read this very insightful (in my opinion) article in the Globe & Mail this morning by one of their best columnists, Doug Sanders. He's based in London, and has been for some years the Globe's man-In-Europe. Probably the newspaper guy who I read the most on a regular basis.

I've had the unfortunate opportunity to butt up against some of the English gentlemen described in the article in Hua Hin ... in bars all the time, and, even worse, in pool tournaments. At least one experience was so bad, so rude, so appallingly, drunkenly aggressive, that I stopped hanging out in that bar, or playing for that team. (Apparently now the bar has kicked him out of their place, and team, so perhaps I'll try again there).

Now this truly nasty man has obviously found the wherewith all to end up living in Thailand long term ~ he is middle aged, in his early 40's I think ~ so he is not still in the Yobberland economic malaise described in the article, but he is in his character a quintessential example of the young louts in the story below. Easily conceivable that he spent his teenage-hood, early 20's, festering away until later life when he found a way out, at least financially.

This is not an anti-English rant here folks, and certainly not posted to start one. Sanders makes it quite clear that many western countries (as well as places like Japan) have the same problem. In England however it seems simply more noticeable, more in-yer-face, more outside your own living room window.

( AndyinOz & Diec & Bottoms Up will relate I'm sure ... )

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/wor ... le1245359/ (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/how-britain-is-falling-down-on-the-yob/article1245359/)

August 9th, 2009, 13:51
Read this very insightful (in my opinion) article in the Globe & Mail this morning

masses of men of all grades, looks and kinds; some in half-fashionable surtouts, burst at the elbows, with the dirty shirts showing through; others in the rags of their half-slang gentilityтАж

For a moment there I thought it was a word picture of the English lads cadging beers in Sunnee. Whatever you want to say about us Brits, you have to admit we are a dignified, attractive, superior race of people. Your sniping just shows how jealous you are .

[attachment=1:1zv03flb]Prince-Harry-groping--22572.jpg[/attachment:1zv03flb]

" ... Your sniping just shows how jealous you are ... "
Once again, your prissiness is showing.

Who you callin' prissy, boyo? Keep it up and you'll have this knocking on your door late at night.

[attachment=0:1zv03flb]Prince-Charles-Princess-Anne--33213.jpg[/attachment:1zv03flb]

Smiles
August 9th, 2009, 14:09
" ... Your sniping just shows how jealous you are ... "
Once again, your prissiness is showing.

August 9th, 2009, 16:18
This is not an anti-English rant here folks, and certainly not posted to start one.

Of course if you posted stuff like that about wogga-wogga land you'd be called a racist but the English are always fair game, eh? Hey, I've had a yankeee yob point a gun at me in Silom. So some English folk play snooker rather than billiards. Tough titty. Your prejudice is showing.

pennyboy
August 10th, 2009, 02:07
i am not English but spent a lot of my life there and I don't recognise much that has been written. To pay 12.50 pounds in a cafe for brekkies just show how stupid some people can be. It does not appear that English is Bottoms Up first language so i will assume that he has been taken for a stupid tourist and that can happen all over the world. It must have been a real heartbreak to give up the Merc for a common old banger to avoid the plod constantly harrassing him. Anyway why does anyone have to worry about England or any other country for that matter if they happily live in Thailand. Just an excuse for a little anti English rant perhaps.

August 10th, 2009, 04:05
Bottoms Up you seem to have lived in most countries for a few years at a time so by my calculation you are either older than Methusela or a total bullshitter like we all suspect. P.S. My friend in London asks where this 5* cafe is where you had this breakfast. And stop licking your own arse you're meant to get someone else to do that.

August 13th, 2009, 10:20
But we figured out how to solve the problem.

The Armed Forces! :salute: :occasion8: :salute:

Seriously. What do you think Britian did with its underclasses in the past? They went into the Colonial Forces and took their agressions out on poor tribal folk in Africa and Asia.

Of course once Great Britian became Mediocre Britian they no longer had that option.

Brad the Impala
August 13th, 2009, 16:41
These people have to find someone(preferably "foreign") to fight. You used to be able to escape them by leaving England and travelling to countries with civilized populations like Thailand. Then they followed to anywhere with cheap "booze and birds". Sorry to hear that they have now reached refined Hua Hin.