PDA

View Full Version : Health club $ bargains?

August 3rd, 2009, 17:49
I'm going to stay near the Ambassador (suk soi 11) - is their exercise place ok/cheap?

Is anyplace better/worse just for exercising? Any current discounts?

Thanks!

maisoui
August 5th, 2009, 12:08
I'm told that it not impossible to view exciting activities in the steam at branches of the gym named after an American state. Perhaps the local people feel that it is de rigeur to emulate some of the films that emanate from that state; not the ones with Julie Andrews starring though. No umbrellas please.

August 5th, 2009, 13:31
I used the Ambassador gym for two months, Feb/Mar, this year. It is cheap, I got a special offer, two months for 999 baht.(They do offers most of the time) The equipment is ok but old. It has a steamroom, sauna and jacussi. You also get to use the large outdoor swimming pool which is great after a workout.

August 5th, 2009, 13:46
I used the Ambassador gym for two months, Feb/Mar, this year. It is cheap, I got a special offer, two months for 999 baht.(They do offers most of the time) The equipment is ok but old. It has a steamroom, sauna and jacussi. You also get to use the large outdoor swimming pool which is great after a workout.

Thank you. :-)

I guess I'll go with what's close and simple.

August 5th, 2009, 17:56
I'm going to stay near the Ambassador (suk soi 11) - is their exercise place ok/cheap?

The Ambassador is a tip. In its hey day it was one of the best hotels around. I never forget as a young boy going to feed the large koi at the front of the complex and playing with the huge brightly coloured parrots, now it's a slum not even a dead parrot to be seen.

Last time I went to look I wasn't impressed with the health facilities either. It's more than just a health club it's a health risk, the showers were filthy dirty the walls and floors covered in slime as were the toilets. There are a constant stream of what look like retired ex drug addict plying their trade in various massage rooms on the same floor. You could also seriously damage your health trying to use that broken dilapidated equipment too. One to miss I think, though I met a very enthusiastic Australian gent there who looked none the worse for wear as he stepped out of the shower that had flooded with matted hair.

California fitness is a good bet, they are all cruisy even the ones here in Hong Kong but spotless and the equipment is maintained and right up to date.

August 5th, 2009, 20:26

The Ambassador is a tip. In its hey day it was one of the best hotels around. I never forget as a young boy going to feed the large koi at the front of the complex and playing with the huge brightly coloured parrots, now it's a slum not even a dead parrot to be seen.

Last time I went to look I wasn't impressed with the health facilities either. It's more than just a health club it's a health risk, the showers were filthy dirty the walls and floors covered in slime as were the toilets. There are a constant stream of what look like retired ex drug addict plying their trade in various massage rooms on the same floor. You could also seriously damage your health trying to use that broken dilapidated equipment too. One to miss I think, though I met a very enthusiastic Australian gent there who looked none the worse for wear as he stepped out of the shower that had flooded with matted hair.

California fitness is a good bet, they are all cruisy even the ones here in Hong Kong but spotless and the equipment is maintained and right up to date.

Wow! I guess I'll do my duty and report back here what it's like for future reference. If it's really that bad, it's worth seeing just for the experience.

Thanks!

August 5th, 2009, 23:56

You are backing the wrong horse. California Fitness has no branches anywhere in Thailand.

California Wow, which has a number of branches in Thailand, was founded by the same person (Eric Levine) but it is a totally separate and unrelated company.

thrillbill
August 6th, 2009, 03:38
True what has been said about the Ambassador Hotel, back ??? 20 years ago it was well maintained. Now it is like a little "India". I stayed there 5 years ago and used the gym. Totally outdated equipment that didn't always work. Maybe you can use one of the gyms nearby at the 5 star hotels or try out California Wow which is expensvie for one day use but top notch equipment and good eye candy to run into...

August 6th, 2009, 08:30
If you hold a gold or platinum credit card, check with them to see if they offer complimentary fitness center access anywhere. At the moment, a platinum Amex card will get you in free to Fitness First. Until a few months ago, it also got you into the fitness center at the Grand Hyatt Erawan.