PDA

View Full Version : another Thai scam!

a447
July 30th, 2009, 16:05
Just watching the news. A group of Aussies (33) from a cruise ship docked in Pattaya rented jet skis and on returning them, were told the jet skis had been damaged. They were asked to pay $45,000 (baht??) compensation. The police were called - the situation is not clear yet as to whether or not they have been arrested.
I have read about this scam before and so have always avoided hiring the jet skis in Thailand.

Geez, why do the Thais shoot themselves in the foot all the time?? Are they that dumb??

July 30th, 2009, 16:35
The police were called - the situation is not clear yet as to whether or not they have been arrested.

Oh no not more visitors facing jail and dubious help from a Scrilankan middle man.

Patexpat
July 30th, 2009, 17:11
from a cruise ship docked in Pattaya

This is a well known scam agreed - but where on earth do you dock a cruise ship in Pattaya? PersonallyI haven't even seen one hanging around the bay area ...

a447
July 30th, 2009, 17:12
Update - the police were bought off for a few hundred dollars.

July 30th, 2009, 17:44
from a cruise ship docked in Pattaya

This is a well known scam agreed - but where on earth do you dock a cruise ship in Pattaya? PersonallyI haven't even seen one hanging around the bay area ...

They dock at Laemchabang.

July 30th, 2009, 20:08
"Geez, why do the Thais shoot themselves in the foot all the time?? Are they that dumb??"

Simple answer: YES.

- ajarntrade

jimnbkk
July 30th, 2009, 20:27
"Geez, why do the Thais shoot themselves in the foot all the time?? Are they that dumb??"

Simple answer: YES.

- ajarntrade

I think not Dumb. Just that the scam gets exposed and publicized so becomes less lucrative. Then they must come up with a new one, and so on........

And I agree with BU, there's probably more to this story than has been reported herein. (You know them Aussies. Get a few brews in them and they really get crazy....)

July 30th, 2009, 20:31
The police were called - the situation is not clear yet as to whether or not they have been arrested.

Oh no not more visitors facing jail and dubious help from a Scrilankan middle man.

I say Ceders, what is a Scrilankan? Do you mean Sri Lankan?

Do you have a link for this story?