PDA

View Full Version : Debit Top Up Cards

July 29th, 2009, 07:07
As most of you are probably aware, there has recently been an upsurge in these so called debit top up cards i.e. where you top up the card with money and then spend as you go. The advantage being you can only spend what is on the card, hence, no chance of "going over", if you are not in credit then you cannot spend, simple as that.

Well, the point being that a lot of so called top up cards are also expensive, they charge for buying the card, and a host of all other charges, well until I found Caxton.

The Caxton card is run by Mastercard, and there are no set up charges and the foreign exchange rates are better than the norm. They tell you that on their website. An example would be that today they were offering 1.13 Euro to the UK pound and no charges, whereas other places were offering around 1.08, 1.07 and commission charges. I think I have made my point.

I think probably how they make their money is they take 2.5% off the inter bank rates initially but then so do banks and credit cards on top of other charges. But I think a great deal, especially recently when I needed to give someone a little money locally and couldn't easily. As there isn't much to lose (unless you have a lot of money topped up on the card), its an ideal way of giving the card to a friend if you so wish. You can top up as and when required via the internet, although if you want an additional cardholder, Caxton charge ┬г5. I will probably use it instead of the Nationwide system where now they are going to charge for drawing out money.

By the way, it will alter the fact that Thai banks charge the 150 bht fee each time a withdrawal is made, unless there are banks which do not charge this fee, I believe there are??

Smiles
July 29th, 2009, 07:14
Wow. WhiteDesire has discovered ~ brace yourselves! ~ The Debit Card :cheers: :cheers:

(Oops ... I said 'Cedric'. Hmmmmmm .... )

Brad the Impala
July 29th, 2009, 15:26
To be fair, the kind of preloaded Debit Card that he is referring to is different from a Debit Card attached to a bank account, and has become increasingly available and popular recently.

Some families give this card, loaded with a chosen amount of credit, to their children, so that they can make purchases over the internet rather than needing a Credit Card. Perhaps this is necessary because the children don't have a bank account with an attached Debit Card........?

July 29th, 2009, 15:57
THey are used by people who cannot get proper credit.

July 29th, 2009, 16:19
THey are used by people who cannot get proper credit.

and by people who dont need credit

July 29th, 2009, 18:44
Wow. WhiteDesire has discovered ~ brace yourselves! ~ The Debit Card :cheers: :cheers:

(Oops ... I said 'Cedric'. Hmmmmmm .... )

"Well, it doesn't apply to you Smiles, they wouldn't give you any type of card, let alone a debit card. They probably wouldn't give you a bank account either - dream on though, maybe one day."

Apart from that, the point I was making is not about debit cards in general, but the fact that Caxton were offering a fee free and good foreign exchange rates type of card.

July 29th, 2009, 22:40
Romania: I think you are referring to the Euro and Dollar cards, you top them up with sterling and "they" immediately convert them to either euros or dollars, ready for you to spend in either Euroland or the US respectively.

Now, the Global Traveller Card works differently - you top up with sterling as and when. When and not until it is actually used, say, for instance, in Thailand it uses the conversion rate as of the day you "withdraw" or "use" it.

Remember, these cards are geared towards UK bank holders/citizens.

July 29th, 2009, 22:52
I have checked this with Caxton.

I can just picture that poor Caxton call center employee now, rolling his or her eyes at yet another FOQ worried about a few cents.

July 30th, 2009, 19:36
I have checked this with Caxton.

I can just picture that poor Caxton call center employee now, rolling his or her eyes at yet another FOQ worried about a few cents.

What's FOQ Beach Bunny?