PDA

View Full Version : Getting a retirement visa O-A from the Thai embassy USA

Khor tose
July 28th, 2009, 05:01
Less then two week ago I sent in a packet of forms to the Thai Embassy in Washington DC. They had originally given me a web page to find the forms. My only income statements were uncertified letters from my present and ex employer and social security. I now have my Retirement O-A visa in hand. Very simple, direct and I paid no tea money, and waited in no lines. So I say to heck with doing a Visa application in Thailand. If you are an American citizen I strongly suggest applying in the USA.

Smiles
July 28th, 2009, 06:13
You cannot get an Non Imm Type O-A in Thailand. That visa designation is limited to applicants within their home countries only.

Congratulations. Don't neglect the Very Important Dates: your 90 day reporting date; the date of your visa expiry and the date of your Permission to Stay passport stamp.

Khor tose
July 28th, 2009, 06:24
I know about the important dates, but I thought it was the same Visa that everyone gets who comes to Thailand to retire. Most of the web sites go on and on about how to get a retirement visa in Thailand and not in your home country. So what is it called inside of Thailand? I did mine in the USA to make it easier to ship a packing crate (household goods, paintings, personal records) to Thailand and hopefully get through customs duty free. I hope I did not miss anything.

mahjongguy
July 28th, 2009, 07:08
Congrats. You did the right thing.

Smiles is just pointing out that there are subtle differences between having an O-A from your home country and having an O (possibly obtained in Thailand) which has been extended for retirement.

You should study the threads on ThaiVisa for the details. For example, with the O-A, for the first 9 or 10 months, you don't need to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai.

NOTE: As soon as you've arrived and settled in, go to Immigration and purchase a single or multiple Re-Entry Permit. If you leave the country without one you will have vaporized your precious O-A. These permits are no longer sold at the airport so it's smart to keep one available in your passport.

July 28th, 2009, 09:04
You cannot get an Non Imm Type O-A in Thailand. That visa designation is limited to applicants within their home countries only.

Congratulations. Don't neglect the Very Important Dates: your 90 day reporting date; the date of your visa expiry and the date of your Permission to Stay passport stamp.

Also make sure you get a multiple entry or if you get a single entry, make sure when you want to get out of the country you get another single re-entry visa before you leave each time.

Khor tose
July 28th, 2009, 09:52
Thanks for the great advice and assurances. Now if I can only wait another 34 very long days.

TrongpaiExpat
July 28th, 2009, 13:23
The big pain in the ass I had with the O-A Visa from USA (4 years ago) was getting the medical. The insurance I had would not pay for a visa physical. The Dr. I went to did not want to sign a form with Thai script on it and then he wanted to actually test for all those diseases listed on the forms. It cost me 500USD but now I know for certain I don't have elephantiasis.

Getting a medical certificate in Thailand is a walk in the park, 100B to 200B and your lucky if you actually see a doctor though I understand that applying now in Thailand you don't need a medical? You do need one for a Thai drivers license, both the first one year temporary and then the 5 year renewal.

Even if your one of those 'I'll never drive in Thailand' it's not a bad idea to get a Thai DL. Show it at National Parks and you generally get in for the Thai price, 20 to 30B vrs 200 to 400B. Private enterprises doing duel pricing might give you the Thai price, I find it's about 50-50. It's also a good form of ID for those who don't carry around their passport. It does not cost much and is quite an interesting adventure at the DL office.

Khor tose
July 28th, 2009, 15:22
The big pain in the ass I had with the O-A Visa from USA (4 years ago) was getting the medical. The insurance I had would not pay for a visa physical. The Dr. I went to did not want to sign a form with Thai script on it and then he wanted to actually test for all those diseases listed on the forms. It cost me 500USD but now I know for certain I don't have elephantiasis.

Getting a medical certificate in Thailand is a walk in the park, 100B to 200B and your lucky if you actually see a doctor though I understand that applying now in Thailand you don't need a medical? You do need one for a Thai drivers license, both the first one year temporary and then the 5 year renewal.

Even if your one of those 'I'll never drive in Thailand' it's not a bad idea to get a Thai DL. Show it at National Parks and you generally get in for the Thai price, 20 to 30B vrs 200 to 400B. Private enterprises doing duel pricing might give you the Thai price, I find it's about 50-50. It's also a good form of ID for those who don't carry around their passport. It does not cost much and is quite an interesting adventure at the DL office.

I brought my medical certificate into my doctors office all filled out with everything but the doctors name and Medical certificate number. Everything on the form is now in Thai and English. The clerk took it back to the doctor and he filled in his information and signed it. He did not even charge me for a office visit. Yes, I do drive in Thailand, and I know the DL will be the next battle. I guess I should start looking into that as soon as I can after I arrive. With your kind permission, may I PM you when I get ready to get it. I just want to make sure I cross all my "t-s" and dot my "i-s".

TrongpaiExpat
July 28th, 2009, 21:52
Getting a Thai DL in Chiang Mai could be a little different from Bangkok or Pattaya. GB has written extensively on how to get a DL but from a very Pattaya perspective. I got mine in Bangkok. Get one of the Chiang Mai residents to fill you in or drop in the DL office and see if they have a list of what you need.

Before leaving USA, pick up an International DL along with your US DL though I did not have an International DL and had no problems.

http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html

This link a little dated. The new DL are "smart cards" and you don't have to bring a photo, they take it now. The physical test I had were also a little different from what's listed but nothing to worry about. You get three or four shots at it and you have to be half dead to flunk it. There's a lot of hoops and paperwork, waiting and filling in forms, takes about 2-3 hours. Do not arrive at lunch hour, they all leave for an hour and the whole system shuts down and is then backed up.

That web page also does not list that you need another medical certificate for the 5 year renewal, but Bangkok DL office told me I had to get one and not the one I used for the one year license.

You really don't need a translator and the only things you have to say are dang,khew and luang red green and yellow.

July 28th, 2009, 22:41
I now have my Retirement O-A visa in hand. Very simple, direct and I paid no tea money, and waited in no lines. So I say to heck with doing a Visa application in Thailand.

As has been pointed out recently, this is not technically a Retirement O-A Visa - it is a Long Stay O-A Visa; it becomes a Retirement Extension of Stay if/when it is extended here, where (at least in Pattaya) it is also very simple, direct, and you pay no tea money (although you may have to wait in line for a few minutes). The paperwork is also simple, particularly for Americans, as the US Embassy do not require any proof of pension/income, but merely require you to swear an affidavit for any amount you name.

The requirement for medical certificates seems to vary depending on location; none are required either by Pattaya immigration or by the Banglamung (Pattaya) driving licence/vehicle tax & registration office.

An International Driving Licence makes you technically legal and insurable for 90 days from when you enter the country, so it is well worth having.

July 29th, 2009, 00:54
Hello, Thanks for your info on retirement visa. My question is. Is there a deference in a regular visa for a trip to Thailand and a retirement visa. Is there a longer stay for a retirement visa.

Thanks Curtis onecoin@msn.com

Khor tose
July 29th, 2009, 06:13
[quote="Khor tose":1sp8k9cc] I now have my Retirement O-A visa in hand. Very simple, direct and I paid no tea money, and waited in no lines. So I say to heck with doing a Visa application in Thailand.

As has been pointed out recently, this is not technically a Retirement O-A Visa - it is a Long Stay Visa; it becomes a Retirement Extension of Stay if/when it is extended here, where (at least in Pattaya) it is also very simple, direct, and you pay no tea money (although you may have to wait in line for a few minutes). The paperwork is also simple, particularly for Americans, as the US Embassy do not require any proof of pension/income, but merely require you to swear an affidavit for any amount you name.

The requirement fr medical certificates seems to vary depending on location; none are required either by Pattaya immigration or by the Banglamung (Pattaya) driving licence/vehicle tax & registration office.

An International Driving Licence makes you technically legal and insurable for 90 days from when you enter the country, so it is well worth having.[/quote:1sp8k9cc]

I am confused. It says that it is a non-immigrant O-A visa, which is the only forms I submitted, so how could it not be an O-A visa.
Furthermore, the instruction go on to say that the purpose of this visa is, "To stay in Thailand for a retirement purpose.(Category тАЬO-AтАЭ)".

Smiles
July 29th, 2009, 06:37
" ... I am confused. It says that it is a non-immigrant O-A visa, which is the only forms I submitted, so how could it not be an O-A visa.
Furthermore, the instruction go on to say that the purpose of this visa is, "To stay in Thailand for a retirement purpose.(Category тАЬO-AтАЭ) .... "
It certainly can be a bit confusing ... but don't sweat it.

The O-A visa (as well as the 12 month non Imm O visa obtained within Thailand) are "long stay" because you don't necessarily have to be 'officially' retired ... you just have to be at least 50 years old to receive either visa. Now it just so happens that (I assume) a very large proportion of those over 50 are in fact 'retired' ... but actual retirement is not one of the criteria for receiving the visa, just the 50-and-over part.

When you've gained 50 years (and are probably right on the very cusp of croaking) the Thais treat you well by offering you a visa that will allow you to camp out in Thailand for 12 months at a time without having to do bloody visa runs out-of-country every 90 days. Thank them for that!

Khor tose ... you've been approved for your visa. Relax baby, you've got it!

mahjongguy
July 29th, 2009, 07:03
"The requirement fr medical certificates seems to vary depending on location; none are required either by Pattaya immigration or by the Banglamung (Pattaya) driving licence/vehicle tax & registration office. "

A medical cert is definitely required for the first year license and for the 5 year renewal. For foreigners, an address cert from Jomtien Immigration is also required.

TrongpaiExpat
July 29th, 2009, 12:21
"The requirement fr medical certificates seems to vary depending on location; none are required either by Pattaya immigration or by the Banglamung (Pattaya) driving licence/vehicle tax & registration office. "

A medical cert is definitely required for the first year license and for the 5 year renewal. For foreigners, an address cert from Jomtien Immigration is also required.

Someone on Gaythiland just posted a step-by-step renewal having just obtained a DL and said he did not need a medical. I renewed 3 years ago in Bangkok and was told I needed one. So, various locations do have some different requirements. Pattaya immigrations is famous for making up some of their own rules.

I know it's hard for an anally retentive farang to accept but in Thailand the rules bend, twist and sometimes are ignored on a whim and perhaps phases of the moon. Go with the flow and take it easy..........mai pen rai

Then there's the Pattaya centric farangs that refuse to acknowledge that there's live beyond the edges of a map of Pattaya.

x in pattaya
July 29th, 2009, 13:41
While much of what Khun Smiles states is true, taken literally it might be a bit misleading.

The O-A visa (as well as the 12 month non Imm O visa obtained within Thailand) are "long stay" because you don't necessarily have to be 'officially' retired ... you just have to be at least 50 years old to receive either visa. Now it just so happens that (I assume) a very large proportion of those over 50 are in fact 'retired' ... but actual retirement is not one of the criteria for receiving the visa, just the 50-and-over part.

When you've gained 50 years (and are probably right on the very cusp of croaking) the Thais treat you well by offering you a visa that will allow you to camp out in Thailand for 12 months at a time without having to do bloody visa runs out-of-country every 90 days. Thank them for that!

And of course it's stamped in your passport "retirement" and employment (within Thailand) is prohibited and once you've used the visa to enter the country your legal presence in the country is based on Immigrations granting you permission to stay (and NOT the type of visa you were issued) and annually granting you an extension of that permission ... one hopes.

(as well as the 12 month non Imm O visa obtained within Thailand)
You may sometimes be permitted to change the type of visa you used to enter the country, butтАж

You can ONLY get NEW visas OUTSIDE Thailand. You cannot get another visa inside Thailand. Your 'home country' is usually the easiest. Many Embassies/Consulates in other countries (particularly bordering Thailand) will no longer issue multiple-entry visas to foreigners of any ageSo, there are basically two ways to come to Thailand. a) No visa - for a total of 30 days (or 15 days overland), and b) with a variety of visas for longer periods.
NON-IMMIGRANT VISA. 90 days 'stay' obtained from external Consulate (or Embassy). (Can be converted to 'long-stay' fairly easily if you are over 50 years of age, or legally supporting a Thai national)

тАж12 month non Imm O visa тАжoffering you a visa that will allow you to camp out in Thailand for 12 months at a time without having to do bloody visa runs out-of-country every 90 days.

IMPORTANT. A multi-entry 'O' visa does NOT allow you to stay in Thailand for 1 year (a very common misunderstanding). It only allows you to VISIT Thailand multiple times WITHIN a 1 year period. Only a 'retirement extension', or a 'spousal support extension', allows you to STAY in Thailand for 1 year, and is available in Thailand as an ADD-ON to an 'O' visa.

A MULTI-ENTRY 'O' visa simply allows you to VISIT Thailand, for up to 90 days, AS MANY TIMES AS YOU WISH in 1 year. VERY DIFFERENT!

Re: Embassies & consulates versus Immigrations

It is important to understand that these two Government departments are different and separate. Embassies outside Thailand cannot guarantee length of stay in Thailand. This is the job of the Immigration Police. A lot of good information is available from both sources, and both try to smooth the way for visitors. However it is possible to change your current visa entry type, under special circumstances, to allow a different length of stay here in Thailand, at the office of the Immigration Police (e.g. Pattaya / Jomtien Soi 5).

Thai Immigrations states:
On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. For example, the period of stay for a transit visa is not exceeding 30 days, for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at offices of the Immigration Bureau in Bangkok, located at Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Tel 02-2873101-10 or at an Immigration office located in the provinces. For information on application for extension of stay, see the Immigration Bureau website at http://www.immigration.go.th

Foreigners entering Thailand are not permitted to work, regardless of their types of visa, unless they are granted a work permit. http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2487

July 29th, 2009, 14:17
how does one 'officially retire' anyway?

x in pattaya
July 29th, 2009, 14:24
how does one 'officially retire' anyway?

It's a Canadian designation to distinguish between the employed layabouts and the unemployable layabouts.

July 30th, 2009, 02:23
I am confused. It says that it is a non-immigrant O-A visa, which is the only forms I submitted, so how could it not be an O-A visa.

It is a Non-Immigrant O-A Long Stay visa - it is not a Retirement visa; I have edited my original post to clarify any confusion I may have caused. The only time "retirement" is stamped in your pasport is when you apply for and get a 12 month extension of stay in Thailand.

A medical cert is definitely required for the first year license and for the 5 year renewal.

Unless the policy has changed in the last couple of weeks a medical certifcate is definitely not required (at least in Pattaya, as I specified). The list of requirements posted on the wall upstairs has not been updated (as at two weeks ago) to show this, but a check with the staff, in English or Thai, will tell you that it is not required and if you present one it will be returned (or thrown away).

Since you are so adamant, mahjongguy, maybe you would tell us how up to date your information is.

While much of what Khun Smiles states is true, taken literally it might be a bit misleading.

Agreed, X, but the "12 month non Imm O visa" Smiles was talking about was not a "multi-entry 'O' visa" valid for 12 months allowing unlimited 90 day stays; his (and Khor tose's) are 12 month Long Stay Non-Immigrant O-A visas whch do "allow you to camp out in Thailand for 12 months at a time without having to do bloody visa runs out-of-country every 90 days..". They, like any other Non-Imm O visa, can then be extended within Thailand with a "Retirement" Extension of Stay valid for a further 12 months.

mahjongguy
July 30th, 2009, 07:45
"Unless the policy has changed in the last couple of weeks a medical certifcate is definitely not required (at least in Pattaya, as I specified). The list of requirements posted on the wall upstairs has not been updated (as at two weeks ago) to show this, but a check with the staff, in English or Thai, will tell you that it is not required and if you present one it will be returned (or thrown away).
Since you are so adamant, mahjongguy, maybe you would tell us how up to date your information is."

My b/f and I both renewed our car licenses and his motosai license 6 weeks ago. The cert was very much required. Since the sign is still up, and I had not read otherwise, I thought it was still true. Forgive me for contradicting you.

August 1st, 2009, 00:48
If anything, mahjongguy, I should be the one asking for forgiveness - and I am not being facetious. Your post was as informative as it was informed, based on both personal experience and the information routiely available - the absolute antithesis of those from a couple of posters who routinely contradict me just for the sake of it and whom I now generally ignore. If I appeared belligerent in my reply to you it was unwarranted.

cdnmatt
August 8th, 2009, 23:58
NON-IMMIGRANT VISA. 90 days 'stay' obtained from external Consulate (or Embassy). (Can be converted to 'long-stay' fairly easily if you are over 50 years of age, or legally supporting a Thai national)

Is anyone by chance willing to elaborate on this a little more? What do you mean by "legally supporting a Thai"? I'm already supporting, so how do I get the "legally" in-front of that?

Or I'm assuming this is only if you're legally married to a Thai wife, and can prove it's a bona-fide relationship? Or can this be extended to same-sex couples? If so, what are the restrictions? Hopefully not too drastic, because legally, I'm still financially responsible for my ex for the next 8 years!

Any insight would be appreciated though.

August 9th, 2009, 00:16

Is anyone by chance willing to elaborate on this a little more? What do you mean by "legally supporting a Thai"? I'm already supporting, so how do I get the "legally" in-front of that?

Or I'm assuming this is only if you're legally married to a Thai wife, and can prove it's a bona-fide relationship? Or can this be extended to same-sex couples? If so, what are the restrictions? Hopefully not too drastic, because legally, I'm still financially responsible for my ex for the next 8 years!

Any insight would be appreciated though.

I would be interested to know why you are responsible for your ex for the next 8 years? (I'm presuming this was a male/male relationship with a Thai}

August 9th, 2009, 00:21
A male lover cannot count as a dependent. Only a legal spouse and/or children can.

And no, before you ask, you can't adopt your Thai boyfriend...

cdnmatt
August 9th, 2009, 08:13
I would be interested to know why you are responsible for your ex for the next 8 years? (I'm presuming this was a male/male relationship with a Thai}

Nah, not Thai. This one was an actual, genuine, same-age relationship. He's Hungarian, and met each other in Toronto when we were 22, while he was still an illegal immigrant. Fell in love, moved out west, got married, and I sponsored him for permanent residency status to Canada. Canadian law stipulates that if you sponsor someone for PR status as a spouse, you're financially responsible for them for 3 - 10 years, and the immigration officer gave me the lucky number 10!

By "financially responsible", I don't mean monthly payments, or anything. I just mean he's not allowed to collect any sort of welfare, unemployment insurance, etc. If he ever finds himself in financial distress over the next 8 years, I'm legally responsible to bail him out. I've thought about pushing a divorce through the court, effectively revoking his PR status, but wouldn't be able to sleep with myself at night if I did that. PR status to Canada is a pretty major thing for most people.

August 9th, 2009, 09:35

Nah, not Thai. This one was an actual, genuine, same-age relationship. He's Hungarian, and met each other in Toronto when we were 22, while he was still an illegal immigrant. Fell in love, moved out west, got married, and I sponsored him for permanent residency status to Canada. Canadian law stipulates that if you sponsor someone for PR status as a spouse, you're financially responsible for them for 3 - 10 years, and the immigration officer gave me the lucky number 10!

By "financially responsible", I don't mean monthly payments, or anything. I just mean he's not allowed to collect any sort of welfare, unemployment insurance, etc. If he ever finds himself in financial distress over the next 8 years, I'm legally responsible to bail him out. I've thought about pushing a divorce through the court, effectively revoking his PR status, but wouldn't be able to sleep with myself at night if I did that. PR status to Canada is a pretty major thing for most people.

Sounds like TRUE LOVE.....I wish I was a wise young man of 24

x in pattaya
August 9th, 2009, 10:19
[quote="x in pattaya":3526zx7i]While much of what Khun Smiles states is true, taken literally it might be a bit misleading.

Agreed, X, but the "12 month non Imm O visa" Smiles was talking about was not a "multi-entry 'O' visa" valid for 12 months allowing unlimited 90 day stays; his (and Khor tose's) are [u]12 month Long Stay Non-Immigrant O-A visas.[/quote:3526zx7i]
Well, not to be a nit-picker (he said while picking nits), but he did say:

The O-A visa (as well as the 12 month non Imm O visa obtained within Thailand)тАж

тАжsuggesting that he was including something other than the O-A long-stay visa in his generalization.

August 9th, 2009, 10:26
[quote="Gone Fishing":1h9k6vl5][quote="x in pattaya":1h9k6vl5]While much of what Khun Smiles states is true, taken literally it might be a bit misleading.

Agreed, X, but the "12 month non Imm O visa" Smiles was talking about was not a "multi-entry 'O' visa" valid for 12 months allowing unlimited 90 day stays; his (and Khor tose's) are [u]12 month Long Stay Non-Immigrant O-A visas.[/quote:1h9k6vl5]

The O-A visa (as well as the 12 month non Imm O visa obtained within Thailand)тАж

тАжsuggesting that he was including something other than the O-A long-stay visa in his generalization.[/quote:1h9k6vl5]

Your not a nit-picker you just a nite-prick :salute: :salute: :salute:

August 9th, 2009, 12:56

тАжsuggesting that he was including something other than the O-A long-stay visa in his generalization.

Sorry, X, but you made the mistake of assuming that Smiles' generalization was more than a generalization!!

x in pattaya
August 9th, 2009, 13:09
Sorry, X, but you made the mistake of assuming that Smiles' generalization was more than a generalization!!

Hasty generalization is a logical fallacy of faulty generalization by reaching an inductive generalization based on insufficient evidence. It commonly involves basing a broad conclusion upon the statistics of a survey of a small group that fails to sufficiently represent the whole population.[1] Its opposite fallacy is called slothful induction, or denying the logical conclusion of an inductive argument (i.e. "it was just a coincidence").

At least you didn't accuse me of slothful induction.
The above quote is from Wiki. That first sentence warrants scrutiny. Monty Python comes to mind.

Smiles
August 9th, 2009, 13:30
Let's get this straight: is it (A) X-in-Pattaya or (B) Gone Fishing calling me a 'sloth'? ... or is it (A) or (B) calling me a logical conclusion of a fallacy? ... or that I am a generalization in NEED of a visa? ... or that I'm pickin' nits from my toes in Poughkeepsie? ... or that I'm a prick with NO visa who is simply "camping out" in Thailand until the fallacy is unraveled?

x in pattaya
August 9th, 2009, 14:12
Let's get this straight:

I think that ship sailed 62 years ago. :clown:

calling me a logical conclusion of a fallacy? ... or that I am a generalization in NEED of a visa? ... or that I'm pickin' nits from my toes in Poughkeepsie? ... or that I'm a prick with NO visa who is simply "camping out" in Thailand until the fallacy is unraveled?

The correct spelling is "phallus" and it's conclusion is usually called a "climax" ... but otherwise the answer is yes, sometimes a cigar is more than a cigar, but phallus envy is never attractive in a mature man such as your good self.

[attachment=0:1m5g2nv5]lingams.jpg[/attachment:1m5g2nv5]

August 10th, 2009, 14:39
Hasty generalization is a logical fallacy of faulty generalization by reaching an inductive generalization based on insufficient evidence. It commonly involves basing a broad conclusion upon the statistics of a survey of a small group that fails to sufficiently represent the whole population.[1] Its opposite fallacy is called slothful induction, or denying the logical conclusion of an inductive argument (i.e. "it was just a coincidence").
The above quote is from Wiki. That first sentence warrants scrutiny. Monty Python comes to mind.

So does Pissyboy!!