PDA

View Full Version : Is eating dog legal in Thailand?

topjohn5
July 23rd, 2009, 07:02
I am asking a serious question......and I know people do it in Thailand but I still want to know if it is legal.
And, while I love dogs as pets (I had an English Springer for 17 years once) the idea doesn't bother me much. It doesn't bother me anymore than eating pig does and I had 2 pet pigs in the past (Henry and Calvin). They were Vietnamese Potbellied pigs and a delight.....(he says picking his teeth and chortling.....just kidding, they died of natural causes, LOL)
God, I expect this answer to get ugly and be off course immediately.......
:argue:

gerefan2
July 23rd, 2009, 07:05
Dog eat Dog sums up Thailand perfectly....
G2

Khor tose
July 23rd, 2009, 07:20
I can not answer for the Thais who are Buddhists, but no Muslim Thai would eat a dog. Dogs in Islam are considered unclean and can't be eaten. However, if you are hungry enough, I imagine a good cocker spanial hot dog might be tempting. :cheers:

[attachment=0:n1um6afi]pyzamdeadhotdog.jpg[/attachment:n1um6afi]

July 23rd, 2009, 07:27
I can not answer for the Thais who are Buddhists, but no Muslim Thai would eat a dog.

Thai Buddhists especially disapprove of dog-and-cat-eating, because dogs and cats are believed likely to possess reincarnated human souls !

Dog-eating is associated with low socio-economic status.

In North Thailand many people eat dogs and think its good for many things.

People mostly like to have black dogs as dinner because they have magical powers and you get power by eating a black dog. In North Thailand some restaurants have bowls upside down outside the door and that mean they serve dogs as food.

July 23rd, 2009, 07:57
It is more common in the Northeast than the North. Sakol Nakorn is particularly known for it -- apparently the influence of ethnic Vietnamese there, but now embraced by many regular Isarn folks as well.

bing
July 23rd, 2009, 08:48
One of the humerous stories of the Viet Nam Era was the wife of a general who had a lap dog of a poodle type. One day she was stuck in traffic and somehow the dog got out of the car. She called her husband the general and asked him to find her dog. Shortly later a staff sergeant showed up at the car, the wife explained about the dog and off when the sargent in quest of the doggie. In no more than 5 min he came across the skin of a poodle dog stretched out on a fence. He knew he need look no further. So he had a cigarette and chatted with some of the locals with his tolerable language skills. A half hour later he went back to the general's wife and told her someone probably stolen her beautiful dog. It was the sergeant who told me that story. So in the words of Mark Twain, 'It is mostly true".

July 23rd, 2009, 09:25
If folk of Pattaya did eat dog, the bars would be empty!

topjohn5
July 23rd, 2009, 09:37
Good calm info but does anyone know if it is actually legal?
And, by the way, I get a kick out of the google ad logic engine that puts dog related ads all over this post, hahaha :cheers:

July 23rd, 2009, 10:25
And, by the way, I get a kick out of the google ad logic engine that puts dog related ads all over this post, hahaha :cheers:

I don't think it's illegal...why do you ask, actually?

topjohn5
July 23rd, 2009, 10:53

I don't think it's illegal...why do you ask, actually?

Because, of course (taking the bait....), I intend on trying a bit of roasted dog when I have the chance......if not in Thailand then some other nearby neighbor on my travels.....
:thumbleft:

July 23rd, 2009, 11:05
Well, legal or not, you will find it difficult to find dog on sale in Bangkok or anywhere nearby. Your best bet would be Sakol Nakorn Province. Otherwise, you can easily find it all over Vietnam, China, and Korea, in particular.

It's not particularly nice, though. I had a Korean dog stew once...it was greasy and gamey, and not at all pleasant.

July 23rd, 2009, 11:26
I don't know if it is legal in Pattaya but I did hear a story from some guys that come from Surin and live back from Jomthien Beach, that they had chickens running around their homes and a dog was caught hassling the chickens. They had BBQ dog with Thai whisky that afternoon and loved it ! :drunken:

TrongpaiExpat
July 23rd, 2009, 12:04
It think it is illegal but so is prostitution, sex shows, passing on curves with yellow lines, driving on the sidewalk and bribery. I recall news accounts of raids on large refrigerated trucks and arrests of Vietnamese for having dog meat in Thailand. The news story always has the by-line about the King's love of dogs.

Just outside Chiang Mai in a town called Hang Dong, you can have a doggy meal, Koreans I think. I have never eaten dog or cat to the best of my knowledge. I have been told that these dogs are specifically bread for food and are not pets, if that makes you feel any better.

Diec
July 23rd, 2009, 12:37
Dog meat is delicious!! I eat it all the time. I raise a couple of Labradors just for their meat. I also get several compliments on my dog fur vests!!

Impulse
July 23rd, 2009, 12:39
It think it is illegal but so is prostitution, sex shows, passing on curves with yellow lines, driving on the sidewalk and bribery. I recall news accounts of raids on large refrigerated trucks and arrests of Vietnamese for having dog meat in Thailand. The news story always has the by-line about the King's love of dogs.

Just outside Chiang Mai in a town called Hang Dong, you can have a doggy meal, Koreans I think. I have never eaten dog or cat to the best of my knowledge. I have been told that these dogs are specifically bread for food and are not pets, if that makes you feel any better. Why would that make anyone feel better? A dog is a dog,no matter if its someones pet or raised for food.I feel bad when any animal is slaughtered. Ill put my money where my mouth is though,I eat boca burgers. :pale:

July 23rd, 2009, 14:57
In a country where barbecued scorpion, tarantula and witchety grubs are routinely enjoyed by peasants and Japanese tourists, of course it's legal to eat dog. Whether it's legal to sell dogmeat, cooked or uncooked, to paying customers depends on whether the animal has been slaughtered in accordance with well-known strict Thai rules of humane and hygienic preparation. If in doubt check that the outlet is displaying the official Ministry of Food 'KITTS' sticker (Killed in Traditional Thai Style). For extra security also check that the sticker itself bears the legend 'printed in Thailand', otherwise it might be a cheap Chinese fake designed to facilitate the sale of substandard meat.

francois
July 23rd, 2009, 18:11
[quote="Beach Bunny" Your best bet would be Sakol Nakorn Province.
.[/quote]

My bf confirms that dog meat is readily available in Sakol Nakorn in Issan. He says entrepreneurs in trucks roam the streets for stray dogs and sell them to the markets. Sounds like a good solution for the dog problem in Pattaya.

Beachlover
July 23rd, 2009, 19:17
I ate dog meat when I was out in the sticks in North West Thailand

topjohn5
July 23rd, 2009, 19:51
I ate dog meat when I was out in the sticks in North West Thailand

Yes, and how was it? Did it taste like chicken?

aussie_
July 23rd, 2009, 20:06
I visited my boyfriend and his family in their village near Korat recently and noticed one of the dogs was missing.

I asked "where is Mo Mo ?"

One of the family members smiled as they replied "Bell cook Mo Mo on bbq"

No more village bbq meals for this farang :cheers:

kittyboy
July 23rd, 2009, 21:00
Pat my friend from thailand told me this story a few years ago.

He was driving with his mother and wanted to stop and get something to eat. He suggested they stop at a roadside stand and get some grilled pig meat. His mother being a bit fussy refused and insisted they find a nice restaurant. Pat was hungry and driving the car so he drove up to the roadside stand said he was going to get some pig to eat. His mother said she would not eat anything and besides she said it was probably not pig but dog and they were telling the customers it was pig. Pat gives his mother a superior look and says that of course it was not dog....dog was much more expensive than pig!

Possibly apochryphal but I like the story. Which does beg the question...Is dog more expensive than pig? It seems like with all those stay dogs running around it would be a cheap pork substitute which many us may have already unwittingly tried.

July 23rd, 2009, 21:03
TJ,

apart from anything on the CITES list, eating anything else is quite legal and fair game. Even eating a human in most countries would probably end up with you being charged with illegally disposing of a body or desecrating a corpse rather than anything else.

Just why you would specifically want to try dog, as BB asked, is beyond me given the vast range of far more "exotic" species available in Thailand and elsewhere, including even the US. Rat and bat are a staple part of the diet in Sulawesi, horse, frogs and snails in France, and everything from porcupine to python, kangaroo to camel, armadillo to monitor lizard and emu to ostrich are widely available internationally. I believe that in the US even "roadkill" is becoming a favourite. Talking of roadkill (not that anyone else was), not many people know that the most dangerous animal to have a road accident with is a camel - the long, thin legs put the heavy body at just the right height to go straight through most car/minibus windscreens.

Given your recent decision to become an English teacher abroad, never having taught before, are you sure you are not going through some sort of mid-life crisis or male menopause? Get some help before it is too late!

.....Did it taste like chicken?

Why should it? This is a widely held fallacy, based on chicken being widely used to make snake dishes go further in China (particularly Hong Kong) and the chicken beng spiced appropriately to taste the same. I have eaten a number of snakes as well as most of the animals named above, out of necessity not curiousity, and I can assure you that none of them taste like chicken.

Khor tose
July 24th, 2009, 01:47
It's not particularly nice, though. I had a Korean dog stew once...it was greasy and gamey, and not at all pleasant.

Bunny what have you done? I would expect a well-educated man like you to know that there is truth in many of the old adages and wise sayings. Have you never heard that, тАЬyou are what you eatтАЭ. One of these mornings you are going to wake up andтАжтАжтАжтАжтАж

[attachment=0:144br4zr]beach bunny.jpg[/attachment:144br4zr]

Sorry, I ran across this photo and all I can say is that the devil made me do it.

colmx
July 24th, 2009, 02:08
One of my BFs dogs "Dank" disappeared from home around the new year... apparently stolen by dog meat collctors who had been through the village earlier that day looking for strays

On my last trip to Buriram i was watching BF cooking food when 2 of the village boys arrived with 2 rats on Bamboo skewers

Apparently they dig some sort of hole that the rat falls into ad can't get out of... and then kill them with the sharpened bamboo skewer

The rats went straight onto the coals tha BF was cooking on
Smell of singeing rat hair put me off food for days.... :pukeright:

krobbie
July 24th, 2009, 02:18
topjohn5, why would a man of your sensibilities and upbringing want to eat a dog when there is no need to?

I am quite staggered (not to say slightly worried) at this latest turn of events and will try and talk you out of the notion.

I will also get Bobby on the case and will tell him not to reveal the current whereabouts of the tailor shop you went to when you were last here. LOL. As a good Muslim, I am sure he can talk you around.

If all else fails and you do end up ordering dog from someplace I have a feeling it will not taste like chicken.

woof woof

July 24th, 2009, 03:15
I drove my 12 year old twin lemonhead nephews from home in Cairns to Perth via Alice Springs and Coober Pedy to Perth on what was intended to be a month's drive /surfing holiday ( it seemed a fun idea at the time). North of Coober Pedy a group of 7-8 small camels, only our second sighting of camels during the trip, spooked, I was driving a Nissan Patrol with Roo bars and a camel hit the bars and rolled onto the bonnet and took out the windscreen.

We had to wait 4 days in Coober Pedy while a new windscreen was flown out from Brisbane.

I heard that 3 travelling drag queens dropped by Coober Pedy in their pink bus, but they were looking for a fuel tank rather than a windscreen.

It wasn't you and your nephews was it?

I guess you'd be Bernice.

:compress: :compress: :compress: :compress:

July 24th, 2009, 11:20
I can confirm that from personal experience.

You were very lucky - when I was working in the Middle East a mini-bus carrying one of the local football teams ran into a camel: 4 killed (plus the camel) and the rest all severely injured.

topjohn5
July 24th, 2009, 12:13
One of my BFs dogs "Dank" disappeared from home around the new year... apparently stolen by dog meat collctors who had been through the village earlier that day looking for strays

On my last trip to Buriram i was watching BF cooking food when 2 of the village boys arrived with 2 rats on Bamboo skewers

Apparently they dig some sort of hole that the rat falls into ad can't get out of... and then kill them with the sharpened bamboo skewer

The rats went straight onto the coals tha BF was cooking on
Smell of singeing rat hair put me off food for days.... :pukeright:

Yes, the issue of stealing a family pet for the soup pot is disturbing for sure.....not sure how I'll get around the provenance of my dog meal.....
They didn't skin the rat? How gastly! I think I could try a bit-o-rat maybe.....just a nibble....
GF, I have had rattlesnake, snails, horse, frog....I liked the snake actually...it kind of did taste like chicken (but may have been as you said how it was prepared)....but my dog/chicken comment was a joke since it is such a cliche. I thought it would be caught. I guess not. And, yes, andropause and boredom combined with many other more important factors. I am a big believer that people do not do things in life for only one reason but please don't let me stand in your way of assigning just one to me if it helps you, LOL.

July 24th, 2009, 12:20
A rat meal is much easier to come by in Thailand than a doggie one.

Just take most any small road out of Bangkok, and before long you will see roadside vendors with signs reading "р╕лр╕Щр╕╣р╕Щр╕▓" (field rats), and piles of blackened, squirrel-sized creatures. Enjoy.

topjohn5
July 24th, 2009, 12:28
topjohn5, why would a man of your sensibilities and upbringing want to eat a dog when there is no need to?

I am quite staggered (not to say slightly worried) at this latest turn of events and will try and talk you out of the notion.

I will also get Bobby on the case and will tell him not to reveal the current whereabouts of the tailor shop you went to when you were last here. LOL. As a good Muslim, I am sure he can talk you around.

If all else fails and you do end up ordering dog from someplace I have a feeling it will not taste like chicken.

woof woof

Now Krobbie! Don't tell me you don't sneak a bit of bacon behind Bobby's back now and again.......I couldn't live without bacon, yummmmmm. I just never let Henry and Calvin catch me eating it when they were alive, LOL. Actually, I had a hat made for Henry as a joke and he wore it when I took him to a couple of schools years ago (during the Poomba days, Lion King, he was such a hit with the kids). The hat said "Boycott Bacon".......
And, really, I don't want a dog steak or rack-o-dog or something......I just want a good taste, done up proper.....whatever that is, hahaha

krobbie
July 25th, 2009, 03:53
Topjohn5, I am happy to announce that I have not had a single rasher since I met my Muslim prince (aka Bobby). It isn't even a conscious thing. I think I just got out of the habit of not ordering it with my breakfast.

Fear not though, Bobby always scrapes the ham from his breakfast plate on to mine should his breakfast order of eggs arrive with the unrequested item aboard. I scoff that then brush my fangs immediately after breakfast.

Neither of us eat those godawful anemic breakfast sausages that sometimes arrive with our eggs, have no worries about that.

I guess you are set on this doggie dinner and there is no dissuading you. I will ask Bobby to be on the lookout and since he is in the restaurant business I am sure he will know of any restaurant that prepares this "delicacy" in BKK.

How's the packing going? One month and two days to go, I believe.

woof woof[attachment=0:seapm0id]300px-Dog_meat_hotpot.JPG[/attachment:seapm0id]

July 25th, 2009, 04:07

Why on earth wouldn't it be legal? If you eat cows & pigs, then anything should be fair game.

July 25th, 2009, 08:20
I remember seeing a doggie being rosted on a spit in front of a poular restaurant in Saigon. I mentioned to my BF at the time that we should try some but he was incensed and put the kibosh on the idea.
A while later we were making conversation with our tour guide (who was from Saigon) and asked about eating dog.
He sneered. "Only Northerners and Catholics eat Dog!"

Catholics? :scratch:

I turned to my BF (who was Philipino) and said sotto voce "I don't remember anything about that in Catechism, do you?"

The guide went on to explain that Buddhists look at the dog as being just below the monkey in the heirarchy of animals and they would never think of eating such a creature. But the Catholics and "Northerners" have no such compunction.

I kind of assumed he saw "Northerners" as either Godless Communists or Taoists.

Not quite sure where he got the idea about Catholics but after Diem and Madame Nhu I'm not surprised they're not too popular.

[youtube:3siafrt5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_PWM9gWR5E[/youtube:3siafrt5]

bing
July 26th, 2009, 03:27
I was speaking to an American Indian not long ago and he stated that the claim for the worst cooks in the world would be the American Indians. They loved to have a pac of dogs follow them because if the hunting went bad for a time. It was not problem, they would just bang one of the dogs on the head with a club and cut him up and toss in the pot. The tossing in the pot included the hair and all, only the intestines were tossed as not worthy to eat. The rest of the beast went into the pot. Being of Irish background I can not comment on the verasity of this story. I do know one of the TV chefs claims the Irish do fish better than even the french but fish are not high on my eating priority so again I'm not sure of the verasity of this statement either.

topjohn5
July 26th, 2009, 19:32
Krobbie, that plate....or rather the presentation....is rather revolting. But, if it was any meat it would look unappetizing really. Yes, the packing is going well....still selling some stuff though. I hope that will be finished soon.....

You know I am truly in love with the google ads. What brilliant mind devised their engine that picks the ads based on the topics? Here are the current two that are inline right now with this discussion, hahaha......

Meet thai girls
Girls and women from Thailand searching for serious relation
Dog Vomiting
Dog vomiting problems can often be helped simply and naturally

krobbie
July 27th, 2009, 02:32
Dog vomiting ... erm ... lovely.

Today is the 27th in NZ so you will on your way in no time flat. This next month will whizz by and hey presto, you'll be homeless and jobless in Thailand. In other words, you'll be unencumbered and ready to take on what ever comes your way.

You have an interesting time ahead of you.

Cheers topjohn5,
krobbie

July 27th, 2009, 11:12
....You know I am truly in love with the google ads. What brilliant mind devised their engine that picks the ads based on the topics? Here are the current two that are inline right now with this discussion, hahaha......

Meet thai girls
Girls and women from Thailand searching for serious relation
Dog Vomiting
Dog vomiting problems can often be helped simply and naturally

HA! The one I got was "Stop your dog from eating its own poop" ! I kid you not!
I'd have never thought this was a problem in need of a solution...but what do I know? :dontknow: