PDA

View Full Version : Legit Software

x in pattaya
July 20th, 2009, 16:09
When I bought my current desktop computer from a shop in Tukcom I insisted on legit XP software ... didn't want Vista or a pirated XP. No problem.

My friend has a desktop & laptop and most of the software he uses is pirated/copied, either installed by someone in Tukcom or on CD/DVD from Tukcom.

We recently tried to get Nero 9 for him for stuff he does with videos and whatever ... have to admit I only have a limited understanding of such things,

So we bought a copy at Tukcom, but it's really just a trial version. We also got a couple of Nero 9 books for him, each of which had a trial version. So then I tried to pay for the full version upgrade on line with a US credit card. The upgrades all seem to insist that you have a billing address in Germany, Spain, or Poland. I can use CNET downloads for an American version, but given TOT's recent sluggish performance, the download would take 6 plus hours and, I'm fairly certain, not offer Thai language.

Unless something has changed recently, places like Amazon or whatever won't let you buy computer software on disk to be sent outside the US or EU because you might be a terrorist movie producer or something.

So, I thought, OK, we'll go to a legit shop and just buy the thing on disk. But where? The best we managed was to get someone at Tukcom to install version 8 on his laptop and then when we got home it wanted to download an upgrade that again would have taken over 6 hours and probably would only have been a trial version.

Where/how can someone buy legit software that will display Thai language? Considering all the brouhaha about pirated software, is non-pirated stuff actually available?

TOQ
July 20th, 2009, 16:47
I bought a legit copy of Windows from IT City on the 5th floor of Tukcom.. They didnt have it in stock and had to order it out of Bangkok.. That is probably what they do for all legit software. Nothing in stock at all.

john

x in pattaya
July 20th, 2009, 17:09
I bought a legit copy of Windows from IT City on the 5th floor of Tukcom.. They didnt have it in stock and had to order it out of Bangkok.. That is probably what they do for all legit software. Nothing in stock at all.

john

Yes, when I got this computer and wanted the legit Windows XP everyone got all secretive and I had to pay cash although the computer was paid for by credit card. I felt like we were doing something underhanded.

For the time being my friend is using the trial version we bought that is good until July 29 and then he can put in one of the disks we got with a book we bought for another 30 days.

It seems odd, but I suppose understandable, that the powers that be in the US and Thailand make a big deal out of ferreting out fake software, but don't offer much in the way of legitimate alternatives. As long as the fake stuff is available, I guess very few would buy the real software, but if they try to cut off the fake stuff & don't offer the real versions, they're not achieving much.

July 20th, 2009, 18:28
Just buy or download a pirate copy. If they don't make the real thing available, who gives a shit?

x in pattaya
July 20th, 2009, 19:12
Just buy or download a pirate copy. If they don't make the real thing available, who gives a shit?

Well I admit that I didn't make it absolutely clear, but I did say:

For the time being my friend is using the trial version we bought that is good until July 29 and then he can put in one of the disks we got with a book we bought for another 30 days.

This particular software, even the pirated copy we bought and another pirated copy we had installed, shut down in 30 days or less. Either the producers of the software are getting craftier or the pirates are becoming less so, but it appears that whatever the source it will only work for a limited time.

I'll avoid making indepth comment on the assumptions you make when dismissing everyone else with your usual misguided contempt.

July 20th, 2009, 19:26
I was trying to help you, you putz.

In order to continue using a trial piece of software beyond the trial date, you have to put in a key code.

When you purchase the software off the internet, a key code is generated and given to you.

When you purchase a pirated copy, a "skeleton key" is usually provided somewhere on the disc -- in a directory typically labeled as "keys" or something like that.

You can also usually find keys posted on pirate sites, if you do a little googling, that will work.

I hope this helps, though I know better than to expect any thanks from you.

x in pattaya
July 20th, 2009, 20:34
I was trying to help you, you putz.

Thank you. I didn't fully appreciate that.

There was a key with the pirated copy which we inserted while installing, but it still made it clear that after a certain number of days we had to purchase a PIN or whatever you want to call it.

I was willing to do that, but it seems that this particular version is only licensed in certain countries, neither Thailand nor the US amongst them ... despite the fact that it was operating in the Thai language. I was willing to buy a key on the Internet but it demanded a billing address for the credit card in Germany or in India or Africa or wherever.

It offered to shift me to the Nero store, but from there it wanted to start out with a completely new download and that was projected at 6 hours (Thank You TOT). I would ask someone in the US to send a copy, and may do that, but in the case of one other software download I helped him with originating in the US, Thai language was not offered or apparently available even as a download. He can function in English to some extent, but it isn't ideal.

I emailed the company to see what they suggest and I guess getting someone to send it out is a do-able option. Maybe there will still be away to get it to operate in Thai.

But I still contend this seems ridiculous if they want to stop piracy but make it virtually impossible to obtain legit software.

maisoui
July 20th, 2009, 20:50
If the good people of Thailand had always supported the software industry and paid for legitimate copies you probably wouldn't have this problem.

July 20th, 2009, 20:57
Residents of Thailand can't buy music off of i-Tunes, either (or, at least they coudln't -- maybe it's changed). So, when the music labels start griping about piracy rates, you can take it all with a grain of salt.

Patexpat
July 20th, 2009, 22:43
What I fail to understand is why people insist on using illegal software anyway? A bit of searching on the internet can find very acceptable alternatives to paid versions of software - Open Office, for example is a great free alternative to MS Office (although MS Office 2010 will be web based and free to use too in a response to their current battle with Google). There are lots of free alternatives to Nero, antivirus/malware programs, Adobe, Photoshop etc etc.

x in pattaya
July 21st, 2009, 14:06
There are lots of free alternatives to Nero, antivirus/malware programs, Adobe, Photoshop etc etc.

We/he have tried several alternatives to Nero, but he finds it best suits whatever it is he wants to be able to do and there are several step-by-step manuals in Thai available, which helped him to understand all the bells & whistles.

A year or two ago I was the resident expert ( :idea: ) computerwise, but he's well beyond me now in things that might fall into the graphics, photo and audio categories, so he needs programs for which Thai manuals are available at least to get started ... and Nero does seem to be quite popular here.

I won't claim to understand all that he does, but he "makes his own movies" by piecing together still pictures and a variety of other still & motion source material and adds in music, and he does some stuff for his & other people's mobile phones.

He doesn't normally have access to the Internet except on his laptop when he's staying with me. He is reasonably fluent in spoken & written English, but practically speaking it's a whole lot easier if the programs function in Thai.

x in pattaya
July 21st, 2009, 14:15
Residents of Thailand can't buy music off of i-Tunes, either (or, at least they coudln't -- maybe it's changed). So, when the music labels start griping about piracy rates, you can take it all with a grain of salt.

I've never had a problem with iTunes. I download podcasts daily and have bought individual songs & albums. I bought the iPod in the UAE and my account with iTunes is billed directly to a US based credit card, which may make a difference, but that's never been a problem... aside from the occasionally dismal performance of TOT.

July 21st, 2009, 14:29
I was talking about using Thai-issued credit cards. When I tried, I got a response that i-Tunes was not licensed for this country or something to that effect.

x in pattaya
July 21st, 2009, 14:35
I was talking about using Thai-issued credit cards. When I tried, I got a response that i-Tunes was not licensed for this country or something to that effect.

I've often wondered how widely recognized Thai credit cards are. I was offered one once by Bangkok Bank ... a combination ATM card/credit card, but I refused. I believe, and I could be wrong that, unlike US cards which limit your liability when used fraudulently, someone could run amuck with a stolen Thai card and you'd be stuck with the bill up to the point when you notified the company of its loss.

Not that it's any of my business, but does your card link directly to a bank account?

July 21st, 2009, 14:59
All of my Thai credit cards, and I have six of them, are credit cards -- not debit cards. I write a check to pay the balances each month.

I have had two instances of fraudulent activity on my cards in past years (both times when I was traveling in Europe).

In both cases the banks reversed the charges with no fuss at all.

Locally-issued Visa, MasterCard, Amex, and Diners Club cards are accepted worldwide -- just like similar cards issued in other countries.

And, by the way, you can get a supplemental card for a boyfriend with no fuss, either. Assuming you trust him not to run amuck...

x in pattaya
July 21st, 2009, 15:41
All of my Thai credit cards, and I have six of them, are credit cards -- not debit cards. I write a check to pay the balances each month.

I have had two instances of fraudulent activity on my cards in past years (both times when I was traveling in Europe).

In both cases the banks reversed the charges with no fuss at all.

Locally-issued Visa, MasterCard, Amex, and Diners Club cards are accepted worldwide -- just like similar cards issued in other countries.

And, by the way, you can get a supplemental card for a boyfriend with no fuss, either. Assuming you trust him not to run amuck...

Well, as I always suspected, you are a wealth of useful information, when you are so disposed to share it.

July 21st, 2009, 16:52
...that said, I do have a Thai friend who took a trick (non-commercial) home once. The kid lifted a credit card from him, and immediately went on a shopping spree before my friend had even realized the card was gone. The credit card company was unwilling to reverse those charges, or -- at least -- hadn't been willing to the last time I heard from my friend (and his "discussions" with them had been going on for almost a year already).

The best of the local cards seems to be HSBC, who call me on my mobile phone every time I use the card in an atypical (for me) manner -- such as for an unusually large charge, lots of small charges within a short period of time, charges at a gold shop or similar, or charges in a country where I do not typically travel.

x in pattaya
July 21st, 2009, 17:51
...that said, I do have a Thai friend who took a trick (non-commercial) home once. The kid lifted a credit card from him, and immediately went on a shopping spree before my friend had even realized the card was gone. The credit card company was unwilling to reverse those charges, or -- at least -- hadn't been willing to the last time I heard from my friend (and his "discussions" with them had been going on for almost a year already).

The best of the local cards seems to be HSBC, who call me on my mobile phone every time I use the card in an atypical (for me) manner -- such as for an unusually large charge, lots of small charges within a short period of time, charges at a gold shop or similar, or charges in a country where I do not typically travel.

A few years ago I charged something at TukCom and within hours hosted a B30,000 meal in a Chiang Mai restaurant and did something nearly as expensive in Korea. My NY based credit card company, geographically challenged as they might be, sensed something was amiss. It didn't cost me anything beyond what I had actually bought at TukCom, and I have since never used my credit card in an ATM here and only at presumably honest retail outlets.

Patexpat
July 21st, 2009, 22:53
Kasikorn bank send me an SMS message whenever I purchase anything over (I think it's) B2,000 on either of my credit cards. A very useful service and did stop fraudulent use once .....

July 21st, 2009, 23:44
..... I have since never used my credit card in an ATM here and only at presumably honest retail outlets.

Whether the "outlet" is honest or not is irrelevant, X - it depends totally on the individual you hand your card to, who simply has to "swipe" it through a small, easily concealed copier. Two of my friends had their cards copied in the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, and however much I may consider them a rip-off I doubt that this was hospital policy!

x in pattaya
July 29th, 2009, 19:23
[quote="x in pattaya":1w7sss6q]..... I have since never used my credit card in an ATM here and only at presumably honest retail outlets.

Whether the "outlet" is honest or not is irrelevant, X - it depends totally on the individual you hand your card to[/quote:1w7sss6q]

Not really irrelevant. In that case I bought something from a small family run business, so the individual and the business were pretty much the same entity. While the same thing could take place in a major hotel or a department store like Central, they're not entirely clueless about preventing fraud and their accounting systems would make it easy to trace whoever handled the card.

On the other hand ... Just a few days ago I bought a couple of things at Bookazine in Royal Garden. The total was B 850, which I paid in cash. When I got home I noticed that the receipt was for B 200. The clerk might simply have put in a receipt left by another customer or else she got a B 650 bonus. Since I wasn't cheated and it could easily be explained as a innocent mistake, if it were intentional there's no point in me doing anything about it, so it's possible it could escape notice if not overdone.

And on the third hand :geek: , many years ago when I was still a wide-eyed tourist, I charged something in Chiang Mai for over B 20,000. When the clerk keyed it in she must have ended up with B 200.00, not realizing she needed to put in 2 more zeroes because of the decimal point. I was back in farangland before I saw the mistake when it came through on my statement. I seem to remember making a feeble effort to correct the error, but not succeeding.