View Full Version : Farang Losers in Thailand

July 18th, 2009, 12:26
Check out this ad, from the Thailand Craigslist.

I sincerely hope this loser is not anyone here.

http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/ers/1264353027.html

pyro
July 18th, 2009, 12:49
hahaha
That is kind of funny, but it does raise the question of how you came across it.

July 18th, 2009, 13:10
Check out this ad, from the Thailand Craigslist.Isn't it sad enough that you are posting that sort of ad on Craigslist Bugs Bunny, but you have to cross-post here to boost the possibility of a response is very sad indeed.

July 18th, 2009, 14:08

Only that one word sums up this post "Sad"

:cheers:

Khor tose
July 18th, 2009, 18:35

To you someone down on their luck is a loser?

BB I really do feel sorry for you.

Your story is probably sadder then his is.

Marsilius
July 18th, 2009, 19:44
Bad luck is something that can happen to any of us. And in that situation, I think the craigslist poster, assuming that he investigated all his options, has explored a sensible short-term remedy - and a brave one at that given that he is risking exploitation and (here, of all places!) ridicule.

I think he is to be applauded - and even employed by anyone could use his services - rather than to be mocked. Shame on some of you!

July 18th, 2009, 21:56
Bad luck or not, if the guy is that hard up for 5k baht, I would be asking for baht to just get the plane ticket home. Sometimes you have to know when to throw in the towel. Everyone has their fair share of hard times, I think we can all agree to that, but not everyone has someone they can fall back or rely on. People like us, still have to make things work on our own.

If this guy is that hard up for 5k baht, then I don't see him making any recourse of getting in any better shape the next month. Good luck to him and all, but I think he needs to start facing reality, and that he might need to start packing his bags.

July 18th, 2009, 22:13
Maybe instead of praying to the craig's list fairy to save him, he can move out of Bangkok to a small town and rent a room for less ten 5k, and work on getting back on his feet himself.

Here's a place for 2k
http://bangkok.craigslist.co.th/roo/1237128473.html

July 18th, 2009, 22:18
Bad luck or not, If this guy is that hard up for 5k baht, then I don't see him making any recourse of getting in any better shape the next month. Good luck to him and all, but I think he needs to start facing reality, and that he might need to start packing his bags.

I agree with you, but it wouldn't be the first or the last time when someone has let their visa lapse thinking things would sort themselves out only to find it doesn't, and with no money to pay immigration things can look pretty glum to say the least.
It might just be a scam but whatever, bad luck can hit anyone, some harder than others and that's when you really find out if you have any real friends!
Whoever it is I wish him goodluck and hope he has the good sense to leave if he can.........

July 18th, 2009, 22:27
Why does the Craigslist guy feel the need to identify himself as
"I AM GWM 49Y OLD GAY BOTTOM"
instead of just "I am a 49 YO GWM"?

unless, of course, the implication is that being a bottom is somehow relevant to the "services" he is offering in exchange for the 5,000 baht.... which of course raises the question (he should be asking himself, perhaps), why would anyone pay 5K for a 49YO white ass when 20YO cute Thai asses are available for about one fifth the price (or for free, at saunas)...?

For this reason, Bunny's characterization of this guy as a loser is not entirely unfair...

July 18th, 2009, 22:30
Yes, listing was posted under "erotic services", so I think it is safe to assume that is what he is offering.

July 19th, 2009, 00:01
Yes, listing was posted under "erotic services", so I think it is safe to assume that is what he is offering.

If that is indeed the case, then I should think that not only has he lost his money, but also his 'marbles'.......

July 19th, 2009, 00:36
Wasn't there a young German gentleman plying for hire in Bangkok recently who came to a violent end?

July 19th, 2009, 01:00
Wasn't there a young German gentleman plying for hire in Bangkok recently who came to a violent end?

At least he was young! This is a 49 year-old we're talking about!

Impulse
July 19th, 2009, 02:06
He almsot certainly is selling himself for sex and is just trying to avoid the internet police brigade. I wouldnt know,but my friend told me that some selling their services will say"150 roses for an hour" or something similar. Having a nice picture will help with more responses. Dont forget craigslist is under tremendous fire after a young med student murdered a young female hooker.And recently a gay man was murdered when he answered an add here in the New York area of US. Soon the erotic service list may be a thing of the past on Craigslist.

July 20th, 2009, 12:17
Anyone know what happened to the man in question? Honestly if we cant look after each other what is there for us out there.

Couldn't someone offer him a job?

I couldn't think of a scarier place to be down on your luck than Bangkok. I've seen some terrible things I can tell you. Usually disease gets them first like Cholera for example then they end up wasted and homeless.

July 20th, 2009, 12:31
Seriously, Cedric...who would want to hire a guy so irresponsible that he would allow himself to get into this situation? Hiring someone in Thailand is not something that can be done off-the-cuff. There are work permit procedures to follow. Would you spend the time and effort on someone like this? I sure wouldn't.

July 20th, 2009, 12:56
Yes I would there are all sorts of reasons why someone might be down on their luck often for no other reason than bad luck itself or because of the actions of other people.

Beachlover
July 20th, 2009, 13:01
They say money can't buy happiness, but I'd rather be rich-happy than poor-happy... this guy must be in a world of hurt.

Beachlover
July 20th, 2009, 13:10
Bad luck or not, if the guy is that hard up for 5k baht, I would be asking for baht to just get the plane ticket home. Sometimes you have to know when to throw in the towel. Everyone has their fair share of hard times, I think we can all agree to that, but not everyone has someone they can fall back or rely on. People like us, still have to make things work on our own.

If this guy is that hard up for 5k baht, then I don't see him making any recourse of getting in any better shape the next month. Good luck to him and all, but I think he needs to start facing reality, and that he might need to start packing his bags.

Totally true... get him a plane ticket home... he can go back to Thailand when he's financially free.

Although, perhaps he's one of those people on a pension.... has a steady income from this but needs to cover some unexpected expenses and has no buffer cash to do this with.

Perhaps he should go work for a farang-run business... get paid peanuts (but slightly more than the Thais) but at least have some money for food/roof.

July 20th, 2009, 13:54
As noted before, Beachlover, this guy is probably not hirable and not worth wasting a work permit on. Responsible people you would want to hire do not allow themselves to become destitute, no matter how "down on their luck" they get.

Patexpat
July 20th, 2009, 15:36
hate to agree with BB but as an employer I can say he is spot on - to get this guy a work permit he first of all needs the right visa (which I doubt very much he would have) then the permit itself, so no change from B15k from the potential employers pockets even before any salary etc. is considered.

July 20th, 2009, 17:11
Im sure he has the right visa already he's living there isn't he, and anyway why suddenly is legality an issue. If he was a young beautiful wide eyed boy from Vietnam I suppose you would send him packing even if he didn't have a cent to his name, cause his paper work was iffy?

Beach lover you mean you would rather be rich-sad than poor-happy? Honestly no I would just like to be happy, I understand that that is a basic need in everyone. When someone makes such an obvious and desperate call for help yes you can imagine he is living in a world of some hurt.

Of course he could just be a time waster but I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt. What's to lose but a few thousand Baht or a day or two of anyones time.

July 20th, 2009, 17:44
Cedric,

One must be in possession of a Non-Immigrant Business Visa in order to apply for a work permit.

If this guy doesn't already have one, you would have to send him out of the country to apply for one elsewhere (contrary to what Bob thinks) -- which would take many thousands of baht just to starters.

In addition, companies are limited to the number of foreigners they can hire based on a) their registered capital and b) the number of Thai employees they have. You don't just go around hiring foreigners willy nilly -- you are dealing with a limited number of slots, so you need to hire only those who are crucial.

The process of applying for and receiving a work permit takes a lot of paperwork, many weeks, and lots of baht to complete -- that is, if the guy is even qualified to receive one (you must prove that he is qualified for the position, in terms of education and work history). There are also minimum salary levels -- which depend on which country you are from. I think it is around 60,000 baht/month for Americans and Western Europeans.

They point is, though, why oh why would someone go through all this trouble, spending all this money and using up a very valuable foreigner slot, for someone so completely irresponsible in his life that he has allowed himself to run down his funds to a point where he is completely destitute and literally begging for 5,000 baht so he doesn't get evicted from whatever slum flat he is living in?

I would certainly not want someone like this as an employee -- whether farang, Thai, or martian.

July 20th, 2009, 18:00
Maybe he lost everything in the financial tsunami, I don't know does anyone? Im sure he could be gainfully employed on the quite until he can get his feet back on the ground. Think he's too young for a pension, maybe he was following his heart and spent all his savings I don't know but it sounds like his problems are temporary.

It's not at all certain his problems are his own fault. And even if they are so why does that make him any less eligible for the milk of our human kindness.

When you know of one person in need around you are not doing enough in my opinion.

July 20th, 2009, 18:08
Oh, Cedric. You are such a bleeding heart.

Several warning signs here. For starters:

a) the guy is living in a 5,000 baht/month apartment -- not the sign of someone who has been successful in life;

b) he only needs $150.00 -- chump change, basically -- yet he does not seem to have a single relative or friend to go to to help him out;

c) the guy is silly enough to think someone will pay him 5,000 baht for his 49 year-old "erotic services" -- which is just crazy. If he is looking for a job -- rather than a quick fix that will leave him in the exact same position in a few weeks -- why doesn't he post his CV and ask for one instead of offering, rather pathetically, to spread his 49 year-old butt cheeks?

What does all this tell you about him?

PeterUK
July 20th, 2009, 19:44
Oh, Cedric. You are such a bleeding heart.

I'm sure he's a sweetheart really, but his posts do often put me in mind of the Victorian poet Algernon Swinburne, who was apparently so sensitive to the suffering of others that he would sometimes burst into tears at the sight of flowers being cut, fancying that he could hear them screaming.

Patexpat
July 20th, 2009, 22:28
Im sure he has the right visa already he's living there isn't he, and anyway why suddenly is legality an issue. If he was a young beautiful wide eyed boy from Vietnam I suppose you would send him packing even if he didn't have a cent to his name, cause his paper work was iffy?

Too bloody true I would! Do you know the penalty I face as an employer is I illegally take a non-thai in to my company? Being here legally is not a 'sudden' issue with me ... it is the only way to stay here.

allieb
July 20th, 2009, 22:47
Has anybody thought that this guy has calculated that if a dozen or so people fall for it he stands to get 60,000 Baht for just posting a hard luck story. If I was in such dire straights I would be trying to get back home to my country and get on benifits.

July 20th, 2009, 23:52
When you know of one person in need around you are not doing enough in my opinion.

Most people who help every stranger down on their luck with a large sum of money are likely to be flat broke themselves sooner or later.
By all means help genuine friends, but there are too many complete strangers in financial difficulty to go around handing cash out.

July 21st, 2009, 03:34
Several warning signs here. For starters:

a) the guy is living in a 5,000 baht/month apartment -- not the sign of someone who has been successful in life;
b) he only needs $150.00 -- chump change, basically -- yet he does not seem to have a single relative or friend to go to to help him out;
c) the guy is silly enough to think someone will pay him 5,000 baht for his 49 year-old "erotic services" -- which is just crazy. If he is looking for a job -- rather than a quick fix that will leave him in the exact same position in a few weeks -- why doesn't he post his CV and ask for one instead of offering, rather pathetically, to spread his 49 year-old butt cheeks?

What does all this tell you about him?

To me, it screams drug abuse.

Beachlover
July 21st, 2009, 05:29
Beach lover you mean you would rather be rich-sad than poor-happy? Honestly no I would just like to be happy, I understand that that is a basic need in everyone. When someone makes such an obvious and desperate call for help yes you can imagine he is living in a world of some hurt.

No, I meant poor-unhappy and rich-unhappy. Of course given the choice between poor-happy and rich-unhappy I would choose poor-happy.

Beachlover
July 21st, 2009, 05:35
True... I forgot/missed the fact you need a work visa/permit to work there... that rules out working.

Smiles
July 21st, 2009, 05:36
" ... given the choice between poor-happy and rich-unhappy I would choose poor-happy ... "
That's easy to say.
I think I'd rather be Rich-Unhappy, which would give me better options to sooner or later be able to segue smoothly into the more desirous Shangri-La of Rich-Happy. :salute:

July 22nd, 2009, 07:01
Cedric,

One must be in possession of a Non-Immigrant Business Visa in order to apply for a work permit.

If this guy doesn't already have one, you would have to send him out of the country to apply for one elsewhere (contrary to what Bob thinks) -- which would take many thousands of baht just to starters.

In addition, companies are limited to the number of foreigners they can hire based on a) their registered capital and b) the number of Thai employees they have. You don't just go around hiring foreigners willy nilly -- you are dealing with a limited number of slots, so you need to hire only those who are crucial.

The process of applying for and receiving a work permit takes a lot of paperwork, many weeks, and lots of baht to complete -- that is, if the guy is even qualified to receive one (you must prove that he is qualified for the position, in terms of education and work history). There are also minimum salary levels -- which depend on which country you are from. I think it is around 60,000 baht/month for Americans and Western Europeans.

They point is, though, why oh why would someone go through all this trouble, spending all this money and using up a very valuable foreigner slot, for someone so completely irresponsible in his life that he has allowed himself to run down his funds to a point where he is completely destitute and literally begging for 5,000 baht so he doesn't get evicted from whatever slum flat he is living in?

I would certainly not want someone like this as an employee -- whether farang, Thai, or martian.
BB has it right. Getting even 1 foreign work permit for a company is a big deal. besides the person having to start with a B visa, which does allow them to work during that time as long as the paperwork is being put through for a work permit.

You still have all the other things that follow. You need to have 4 Thai employees for every 1 falang work permit you apply for. Min. Salary is 40k baht per month to be able to get a work permit, although it might 45k now. The company has to show 1million baht liquid capital in the bank, along with all your licensing, VAT certificate, and even a form that verifies a company's existence, which in itself is a decent chunk of change to get. Add to that the cost of the work permit, by the time its all said and done, putting you at near 40k baht just for the permit and paperwork.

As to the statement that someone had made about a Vietnamese working without a work permit, many Burmese do this as well, but the difference is, a cop walking down the road, won't necessarily be able to tell the difference between a Thai and Burmese just by looking at them. A cop walking down the road can easily tell the difference between a Thai and a falang, so unless the cop knew that person owned the place they were working in, I think he would be at the police station mighty quick.

July 22nd, 2009, 09:02

Most people who help every stranger down on their luck with a large sum of money are likely to be flat broke themselves sooner or later.
By all means help genuine friends, but there are too many complete strangers in financial difficulty to go around handing cash out.

Ah ha but this is no longer a complete stranger anymore is he, he is amongst you, our attention has been drawn to his plight. That gives us no excuse.

Im not a bleeding heart at all, but just think one less grease up, on less iffy meal at an Italian who couldn't tell the difference between a canned tomato and a sun ripened one straight from the vine, a frozen calamari or a fresh crumbed, one less genuine pedigree Aberdeen angus steak imported from Scotland. I mean would it hurt? Hardly and it might make all the difference in the world.

The thing to do is not to throw vast sums of money at anyone but to budget for helping people/animals just helping, and make sure you do and in a wise way. Sometimes taking risks can be very rewarding too.

This poor man might be an addict and be in very bad need of some genuine assistance, he could be dangerously in need of a shot. We can't all head off to the Priory just cause we have a hang over.

July 22nd, 2009, 09:18
So, are you going to put your money where your mouth is and reach out to him?

July 22nd, 2009, 10:11
Im not a bleeding heart at all, but just think one less grease up, on less iffy meal at an Italian who couldn't tell the difference between a canned tomato and a sun ripened one straight from the vine, a frozen calamari or a fresh crumbed, one less genuine pedigree Aberdeen angus steak imported from Scotland. I mean would it hurt? .

or maybe downgrade from the Sukhothai and slum it at a 4-star hotel? there are a lot of Thai people more deserving of your charity than this loser. why does him being a farang make no longer a stranger?

July 22nd, 2009, 10:40
So, are you going to put your money where your mouth is and reach out to him?

Have done so already :booty: Least I've asked someone there to look into it.

July 22nd, 2009, 10:44
why does him being a farang make no longer a stranger?

It doesn't. The fact that we all know about it now makes it so.

Come on how desperate must this guy be, he's probably even straight. :cyclopsani:

July 22nd, 2009, 11:00
why does him being a farang make no longer a stranger?

It doesn't. The fact that we all know about it now makes it so.

Come on how desperate must this guy be, he's probably even straight. :cyclopsani:

we also know about several other needy Thai causes from postings here - Heart2000? some local orphanages? I didnt see you urging people to put your hand in your pocket for them....

personally, some farang loser I have never met would be the last person in Thailand I would be handing over my cash to.

July 23rd, 2009, 01:47
we also know about several other needy Thai causes from postings here - Heart2000? some local orphanages? I didnt see you urging people to put your hand in your pocket for them....

Well said, Dave. I find the idea that anyone should sympathise with let alone go so far as to actually support someone they know nothing about purely on the basis of race, creed, colour, religion or sexual preference to be unpleasant in the extreme. Often those doing so are the very same people who are the first to cry foul when they or their friends are the victms of racism or bigotry - what a bunch of bloody hypocrites.

krobbie
July 23rd, 2009, 02:21
Cedric ... forgive these poor fools, it would seem charity is alien to them. Don't start thinking as many of these jaded types do and stick to your guns.

More power to you. :salute:

July 23rd, 2009, 11:21
Cedric ... forgive these poor fools, it would seem charity is alien to them. Don't start thinking as many of these jaded types do and stick to your guns.

More power to you. :salute:

charity is fine, but why is this guy so deserving? 5000 baht can go a long way for a Thai family

Brad the Impala
July 23rd, 2009, 15:09
There are always those who can find a reason not to give. They rationalize it anyway they can, and one of their best self justifications is that they could find a more deserving beneficiary.

July 23rd, 2009, 15:11
I'm on pins and needles awaiting Cedric's report of how things turn out.

Cedric, will you just give him money outright -- or will you make him "work" for it?

July 23rd, 2009, 19:05
There are always those who can find a reason not to give. They rationalize it anyway they can, and one of their best self justifications is that they could find a more deserving beneficiary.

Why "could"?

Maybe they have already found one (or many), but they do not feel the need to display their generosity (or their stupidity) in public.

July 24th, 2009, 17:36
By the way can you point me to the orphanage thread, Im interested. Sorry to so distastefully have to mention my patronage in public Out to Lunch but I was asked.

Nothing wrong with coming out the closet on charity, how else are others meant to find worthy causes.

I assume you discriminate on race nationality and status then? A white man down on his luck in Thailand is not worthy or respectable enough. Disgraceful, its either self hate or you are simply a Scrooge.

July 24th, 2009, 17:51
By the way can you point me to the orphanage thread, Im interested. Sorry to so distastefully have to mention my patronage in public Out to Lunch but I was asked.

Nothing wrong with coming out the closet on charity, how else are others meant to find worthy causes.

I assume you discriminate on race nationality and status then? A white man down on his luck in Thailand is not worthy or respectable enough. Disgraceful, its either self hate or you are simply a Scrooge.

feel free to use the search facility - there have been many postings about various charities in Thailand, all seem more deserving, and likely to get a lot more benefit from 5000 baht than just to pay this guy's rent for a month.

anyway, how does a white man get to be down on his luck in Thailand? shoudnt he be going back to where he came from (assuming he isnt a Thai citizen)? most embassies will be able to arrange some sort of repatriation if you are stuck overseas with no money.

July 24th, 2009, 18:11
Why don't you ask?

July 24th, 2009, 18:19
Why don't you ask?

cause i dont care

July 25th, 2009, 00:13

No idea who that was meant for (no posts here by anyone resembling Out to Lunch), but just in case you meant me and you missed it I made it very clear that I do not discriminate "purely on the basis of race, creed, colour, religion or sexual preference"; I could have included nationality and status, but I did not think it was necessary. Respectability is not a consideration for me, but worth certainly is, in as much as it concerns who is more worthy of help.

In your case it is clearly based exclusvely on whether he is "a white man" and that really is "disraceful" - or are you planning on giving him some "positive reinforcement (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/gay-thailand/heart-break-bangkok-t18086-15.html)"?

Dick
July 25th, 2009, 06:55
Surely the heading is misleading.
He only needs to find just one punter... then isn't he winning?
I mean its a real win win situation...
Instead of having to pay for someone to f**k the living daylights out of you... they actually pay you for the privilege.
And there are those in this world that will!

July 27th, 2009, 01:30
In the light of the above posts, some of them apparently seriously proposing help, I can't help wondering what the reaction would have been to an otherwise identical advertisement reading I AM 49Y OLD GAY THAI BOTTOM instead of I AM GWM 49Y OLD GAY BOTTOM. Laughter? Abuse? Nil? Certainly not the current discussion.

July 29th, 2009, 17:21
In the light of the above posts, some of them apparently seriously proposing help, I can't help wondering what the reaction would have been to an otherwise identical advertisement reading I AM 49Y OLD GAY THAI BOTTOM instead of I AM GWM 49Y OLD GAY BOTTOM. Laughter? Abuse? Nil? Certainly not the current discussion.

Outtolunch or gonefishing where ever no need to wonder just ask. A Thai bottom in distress is as worthy as anyone. This fixation you have with race is unsettling to say the least. Nowhere did I mention that I helped him cause he was white that was your own sick assumption. A sick assumption that you gladly took the bit with and ran, saying Thais were more worthy. Well that's racist end of story.:angry1:

On this forum it's more likely that the plight of an elderly expat would come to light than a Thai bottom is all, and so it was.

July 29th, 2009, 19:27
So you actually helped him? Did you find out anything more about him and how he managed to let himself get into such a pathetic position?

Beachlover
July 29th, 2009, 20:18
lol, beach bunny, I bet your career counselor said you'd make a great social case worker. Or maybe a triage doctor. Or humanitarian charity worker.

July 30th, 2009, 01:51
This fixation you have with race is unsettling to say the least. Nowhere did I mention that I helped him cause he was white that was your own sick assumption. A sick assumption that you gladly took the bit with and ran, saying Thais were more worthy. Well that's racist end of story.:angry1:

The "sick assumption" was based purely on what you wrote previously:

if we cant look after each other what is there for us out there...... A white man down on his luck in Thailand

Maybe you can tell me where I said that "Thais were more worthy"?

Maybe not.

Since when was 49 "elderly"?

July 30th, 2009, 09:04
The fact that he is a falang is very pertinent in that all those both offering abuse so liberally or indeed support do so for their own reasons. For the abusers ensconced in their beach side condo's, paying peanuts for their weekly blow job and moaning about their service provider whilst drawing a pension from some western civilization's tax payers, it is an easy target. For those supporting it at least shows some empathy. I will run with the empathy: there but for fortune?

TrongpaiExpat
July 30th, 2009, 11:17
How can anyone believe that odd ball poster Master Cedric who to the best of my knowledge never made himself known to anyone here is really going to fork over anything to some other odd ball on Craigs List? Where's the Colonel when you need him?

Marsilius
July 30th, 2009, 11:53
...Since when was 49 "elderly"?

When you're 48...