PDA

View Full Version : Hello Gentlemen!

topjohn5
July 16th, 2009, 21:54
First, let me say. I have missed you all.....living the insanity of SGT would truly have been a better choice than what I have been doing since returning in January to the USA, LOL. I have not even looked at this site for fear I would be sucked in again as you are all quite compelling :drunken:
So my apologies to you'll....I need to spend a few days scanning all the posts since the beginning of the year but haven't yet. I also owe you a trip report and IтАЩll give a synopsis shortly. The trip did change my life in several ways, as you will see below.
Here is a quick review of my "boring" life since returning. As many of you know, I am an unemployed banker. After my extended Thailand trip of what turned out to be 7 weeks I decided not to get a job in the field again back home. I could have taken a job doing what I did a few years back but I decided that life is too short and I do not need too be miserable. I left that old job for a reason! I needed a big change and needed to reinvent myself.
So, after a bit of research, most of it done the last week of my trip in Thailand and after meeting a few folks (I didn't dilly-dally!) I decided to sell everything I own and teach somewhere in Asia, LOL. Okay, okay, originally it was going to be China but that changed and now I'm moving to......God help you all....Thailand.....August 27th........ :cheers:
As you can imagine I have been busy selling everything I own including my house, cars and a lifetime of crap. IтАЩm only taking 3 suitcases and leaving behind a 4-drawer filing cabinet at my sisters.... IтАЩve had three тАЬLiving Estate SalesтАЭ, sold a house in this crazy environment and many sales on Craigslist and eBay (not done yet).... IтАЩve had to get a resume together for a different type of work, get a little training, and plan more training. In addition, while many of you have done this yourselves moving here and probably hated it I found it enjoyable figuring out banking, insurance, communication, etc. for my new life abroad. I had no idea there would be so much to do to "disconnect" from here......but, IтАЩm almost doneтАжтАжfeels pretty good going minimalist, LOL.

bao-bao
July 16th, 2009, 22:10
Welcome back, topjohn5 -

At first glance it looks like a rash move, but it's going to be interesting to hear how your transition goes.

After reading any number of similar stories I will say this: I hope you've done your homework!

I certainly wish you the best of luck and hope you'll post extensively about this! :cheers:

Smiles
July 16th, 2009, 22:32
Wow!! That Isaan music concert in Pattaya must've really blown your mind.
Welcome back, and ARE YOU NUTS????

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:

topjohn5
July 16th, 2009, 23:54
Wow!! That Isaan music concert in Pattaya must've really blown your mind.
Welcome back, and ARE YOU NUTS????

:wav: :wav: :wav: :wav:
No question about it Smiles....totally nuts.....my sisters insist I'm trying to escape dealing with my aging father, LOL.... :thumbright:
And, yes that did it, as well as a second concert in January ;) ... me and my "date" had a grand time and I had my first very friendly encounter (seriously) with a Thai police officer. I tell that story a lot since it's in sharp contrast to what would happen in the USA. The police officer came over to us while we were drinking a beer or something (in a bottle). He said in a most friendly and smiling way that bottles weren't allowed here. Now, in the USA I would have made some comment to the police officer about how odd it was that not 20 feet over yonder (pointing) that several vendors inside the area sell it this way.... but I didn't do that of course knowing full well any action like that would be considered confrontational. The police officer just said..."drink it up boys and put the bottles under you seats!" Loved thatтАж. TiT

Art
July 17th, 2009, 00:09
Isn't it frightening to hear all the fanciful retirement dreams of middle-aged people who ignore old age and illness?

Welcome back to the asylum!

July 17th, 2009, 00:32
Remember not to get involved with retired hookers and buy them Pick-Up trucks :colors: :colors: :colors: :colors: :colors:

topjohn5
July 17th, 2009, 02:21
Isn't it frightening to hear all the fanciful retirement dreams of middle-aged people who ignore old age and illness?

Welcome back to the asylum!

I guess....eventually all retired people become very ill and very dead.........that's why I never plan being retired....... :idea:

topjohn5
July 17th, 2009, 02:27
Remember not to get involved with retired hookers and buy them Pick-Up trucks :colors: :colors: :colors: :colors: :colors:

Gee, I would never buy a pick-up truck for an ex-hooker.......

krobbie
July 17th, 2009, 02:28
Well topjohn5, for some reason I am quite pleased that you decided against China. When you first told me that months ago I was taken aback, given your enthusiasm with Thailand. The two should not be confused.

How the hell are you going to survive on a teachers' pay? That won't keep you in Brooks Brothers button downs my man. Maybe you can swap to Ralph Lauren button downs from Paragon. There goes a months teaching money for 3 shirts.

I guess you have weighed up all the pros and cons. I look forward to reading your ensuing posts.

How is your Thai language coming along?

Are you sure you aren't really just avoiding the aging father issues as you sisters suggest? LOL.

Good to see you back. Colmx queried your whereabouts just recently in a PM. :salute:

Cheers
krobbie

krobbie
July 23rd, 2009, 02:37
Topjohn5 ... just over one month and counting. I hope you have sold all your extraneous items and are now unfettered by them.

Is it hard to know what to pack to start a completely new life?

Cheers
krobbie