PDA

View Full Version : Allen Briggs Has terminal cancer/ with permission

July 16th, 2009, 19:27
This is posted with the full permission of Allen Briggs, Gay Pattayan.

Some may wonder why Allen would want this posted on a public forum. The reason is so that his friends would know, some of whom are not in Pattaya, and understand better as to what is going on with him and his treatment and why you may see us post from time to time about a meet and greet for Allen. A tradition from the past.

As Allen's friend, I took him to Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok about 6 weeks ago. He was very weak and felt he was not progressing at Bangkok-Pattaya hospital. After blood tests were preformed. He was admitted to the hospital for 16 days. At that time his heart, kidney and neurological condition was very poor and we had learned that his prostate cancer had spread to his bone marrow, and he had dementia. He was released and the doctor had told us that no treatment would make him recover. He should be cared for with compassion and medicine to ease any pain and nourishment. He should use the time left to enjoy his life as much as he physically could.

Allen told some of his friends that unfortunately, his previous home care had not been as good as it should of been. There were many days Allen had no one to care for him from 2pm until 6am the next morning. Since he could not get up on his own, he would sit in a lazy boy chair (without the means of even going to the bathroom which caused more problems) for 12 hours or more at a time. If during any of those hours Allen would have fallen trying to get up or had a seizure. No one would have known and the consequences could have been fatal. Basically, Allen needed to have someone around 24 hours.

No one person could be expected to do this! His friend had a restaurant to run and needed some social time for himself. But 24 hour care was necessary. Allen could no longer be left alone for long, long periods at a time. Allen knew this and finally said something to a few friends. When his friends learned of his needs, one of them in particular, Traveler Jim, helped put a sound plan in place. He found 3 boys to take shifts being with Allen so he would be covered 24 hours a day. All had some medical training, could speak some English and had driver's licenses. It was important to Allen to have males helping him

They all traveled with Allen to Bumrungrad in Bangkok to talk to the doctors and have Allen's blood work up. It was the consensus of the doctors that since Allen was terminal he would indeed need some hospice type of treatment and could be monitored at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital as the cancer would progress.

Allen is in remarkably good spirits and fully understands his condition. He is still able to get out and about with his "body guards" pushing him through the streets of Pattaya. His appetite is much better since he knows if he soils himself it will be taken care of promptly.

Today, he went to Starbucks, then off for a hair cut, and then Traveler Jim took him for a foot massage. (We tired to get him to paint his toe nails red but he said he is too conservative!).

Tonight (Thursday) after having a nap he wants to go to Cafe Royal to hear El Duo sing.

Some have asked me if Allen needs any financial help. Allen does NOT need any. He has sufficient funds. I have helped set up a budget and we have located several accounts he was not aware of. We are now also recovering over 200,000 baht from his Blue Cross insurance coverage. His insurance coverage is excellent from the State of California.

A PERSONAL NOTE:
Many of us that have lived or visited Pattaya have recently lost some really remarkable friends the past few years. Would it not be great if we each could take some time to "raise a glass" with them while they can still appreciate it. Not wait until we stand at the local Wat and see the smoke rise into the sky?

bing
July 16th, 2009, 19:46
Thanks for the information and thoughtfullness of your posting. Not a total surprise to hear Traveler Jim stepped up to the plate and helped. By the way I'm in New York at the present time. I saw "Billy Elliott" last night, no doubt Allan and all of you guys would enjoy this heart warming play. The music by Elton John was very easy on the ears. Broadway plays often bring out tears at the end of a production. I am happy to report I was so touched I had tears streaming out of both eyes at the end. A tip, this is one of the shows you want to be up close for so you can see the tap dancing and face on the performers. The tickets are the steepest for any play I have ever seen, but I would spring for the premium seat in a heartbeat.
I liked the idea of toasting friends now, but why stop with just one,, hehe

July 16th, 2009, 21:09
Very sad.

Art
July 16th, 2009, 21:44
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs31/300W/f/2008/215/8/d/8d08fffbc1e329662761eb70becd7124.jpg

He should be cared for with compassion and medicine to ease any pain and nourishment. He should use the time left to enjoy his life as much as he physically could.

Thank you for this infusion of reality, SGT desperately needs it. A tailor-made ┬╗hospice┬л manned by young Thais may not be the worst place for the last period in our life. I wish him peace of mind and surging waves.

jinks
July 16th, 2009, 23:30
Please pass to Allen my best regards, and tell him he had better be around until December to share a drink on my next trip.

{Can I take a Thai attendant with me on the A380 to help me shower}

Impulse
July 17th, 2009, 03:44
Ive never met Allen,but he sounds like a great guy and a member of the gay community we can be proud of.

Smiles
July 17th, 2009, 04:32
Ive never met Allen,but he sounds like a great guy and a member of the gay community we can be proud of.
Allen Briggs was the owner/founder of the PattayaGay website ~ now no longer around. The message board which was attached to the website was (in my opinion) the best board ever. It started off very Pattaya-centric but evolved into the gay message board of record for Thailand in general. Sawatdee was in a sense a spin off of PattayaGay, as Allen had been thinking out loud about getting out of the 'business'. Sawatdee started up while PattayaGay was still going, but very soon after Allen closed it down.

During he time Sawatdee was a baby I had many email conversations about message boards in general . . . all very helpful, all very generous, all very open. Allen and I had some very minor differences regarding board 'philosophy', but our conversations were always thought-provoking and helpful.
We had always vaguely intended to meet 'sometime', but never have. Perhaps soon.

Allen is a courteous and decent human being and I sure wish him all the best in this rather lousy journey he's been saddled with. Thanks to Pattaya Male for posting this message(s).

Wesley
July 17th, 2009, 06:22
I remember Allen Very well, It was just before the split of the two forums in which we met at one of the forum get togethers many years ago now. Indeed it was a matter pf Philosophy but also of law there in Thailand and in other less regulated countries and the liable laws of Thailand left it very easy to sue within the country. Sawadee as we have it now was not regulated by the libel laws in which Allen was always burdened by as long as he was the owner of the board so, naturally there was much more regulation. Thus eventually, it was a natural thing to happen that it be regulated and run outside the country. Mr Smiles was the beginning of the forum AND later turned it over to others for reasons I assume was much more work than he wanted to deal with. However, I cannot speak for him on that matter . I just know it was not long after that change Hedda was let loose from her cage and so were many others of which I guess only Hedda was really a serious problem to the board. I stopped posting until after Hedda moved off to greener pastures and the board soon settled into what Spike has now.

Allen was every bit the gentleman everyone has said so far. I did not live there but what I saw of him and read of his words he was a true lover of Thailand and at the time I met him, had just met the love of his life,of that time. I have no idea if he was able to keep him or not or if he is alone now. I only know he seemed very happy when I met him and seemed to be happy that soon he would be out from under the burden of the forum so that he could spend more time with his new young man.

All the best Allen,

Wes

Bob
July 17th, 2009, 07:02
Allen is a courteous and decent human being and I sure wish him all the best in this rather lousy journey he's been saddled with.

Ditto from me. I met Allen a couple of times way back during a couple of the board member get-togethers in Pattaya (Ambiance porch, I believe) and he, like David in Pattaya, were genuine gentleman who relished answering questions of the newbies and would also go out of the way to provide information and assistance.

Allen.....wish you the best.

July 17th, 2009, 10:45
i met alan one time at the little mango. he was a very friendly man with a kind heart. i wonder if it would be alright to post this message on www.pattayapassion.com (http://www.pattayapassion.com)? i am sure there are people over there that mite want to know. please let me know if that would be alrite?

July 17th, 2009, 14:26
I have printed out the posts and will give them to Allen today when Traveler Jim and I see him at 4pm. We are taking him to his lawyer to make sure all his wishes are up to date and clearly written.

When the American Consular visits Pattaya, Traveler Jim and possibly Geezer will be take Allen to make sure that any forms that needed to be signed so his wishes as burial (cremation) are not interfered with.

"Even though in many ways this is sad and hard to do, reality is that it must be done." to quote Allen Briggs.

Allen is still full of life and still willing to give his advice and happy to talk to anyone who wants to meet for a drink somewhere. Just let us know, and Traveler Jim will make sure his 'body guards" get him there. He is the same old Allen, just not strong enough to walk far on his own. So his "throne" now has wheels on it. :cheers:

Smiles
July 18th, 2009, 07:17
" ... I remember Allen Very well, It was just before the split of the two forums ... "
Please try and get it right once in awhile Wes. There was no "split of the two boards". The two boards were never siamese twins.
Sawatdee and PattayaGay existed in harmony as completely separate entities for a short time before Allen decided to pull the plug on PattayaGay. Simple as that.

The decision to start Sawatdee was made essentially because it had become obvious that PattayaGay's board would soon or later be taken down, and there appeared to be a need for a new Board was which would attract many of the folks from PattayaGay who would be boardless ... given that the only alternatives were a moribund, dictatorial and censorious GayButton Board, and a DreadedNed Board unfortunately mired in legal issues.

Wesley
July 18th, 2009, 07:52
" ... I remember Allen Very well, It was just before the split of the two forums ... "
Please try and get it right once in awhile Wes. There was no "split of the two boards". The two boards were never siamese twins.
Sawatdee and PattayaGay existed in harmony as completely separate entities for a short time before Allen decided to pull the plug on PattayaGay. Simple as that.

The decision to start Sawatdee was made essentially because it had become obvious that PattayaGay's board would soon or later be taken down, and there appeared to be a need for a new Board was which would attract many of the folks from PattayaGay who would be boardless ... given that the only alternatives were a moribund, dictatorial and censorious GayButton Board, and a DreadedNed Board unfortunately mired in legal issues.

You know smiles, since I was not in the middle of the change, I guess that is a good word to use, for me and probably more out here it seemed ,like a split, many did not feel welcome on Sawadee, if they were in favor of Allen keeping some semblance of control on Pattayagay. I guess at this time its best not openly discussed or split atoms on grammar and such considering the situation with Allen... You can call it any word you want but certain people from PattyaGay did nto feel all that welcome on Sawadee for a while. However much of that was because of Hedda not you, I might add, the new found freedom to say what ever the hell you wanted with absolutely no repercussions was at the time too much for us who aren't that good at being an asshole, as others were at the time , and again I refer mostly to Hedda not you. But it was an open forum , and I guess the first of its kind in and around in as much as it was gay and it was mostly uncensored. So maybe the word split is not a good choice of words but, to some of us it was not very pleasant either. However, I had not planned to digress but you get the itch over one word that may or may not be correct depending on what angle you were looking at the situation.
All the best Heir Smiles.

Wes

July 18th, 2009, 09:10
Please pass to Allen my best regards, and tell him he had better be around until December to share a drink on my next trip....

Ditto!
Hang on guy. My previous offer still stands.

July 18th, 2009, 14:49
Please pass to Allen my best regards, and tell him he had better be around until December to share a drink on my next trip....

Ditto!
Hang on guy. My previous offer still stands.

I gave Allen the prior posts. He had tears in his eyes reading them. He said he will be waiting to take you up on the drink offer.

travelerjim
July 20th, 2009, 13:03
Dear Friends,

Our friend The Gay Pattayan - Allen Briggs - was in severe pain at midnight Sunday night...
and taken to BPH by ambulance..and then admitted into the ICU at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital at
approx 1:00am early Monday morning July 20th.

The Ambulance response emergency medical team was superb, helpful and
professional with ambulance driver, nurse and doctor in the ambulance -
all responding to our call for help.

He was cared for in his condo then taken to the ER at BPH...
where he was treated and placed the ICU overnight.

He will be transferred to hospital ward this afternoon.

More soon,

tj

travelerjim
July 23rd, 2009, 01:22
Dear Friends,

Our friend Allen Briggs, The Gay Pattayan, was taken to Bangkok Pattaya
Hospital BPH by ambulance Sunday night July 19th.

He was in sever pain as explained by Pattaya Male's post.

After one night in ICU he was moved to 15th floor room 15510...where he is now.

Today, Wednesday July 22nd, Pattaya Male and I met with several doctors at BPH.

The prognosis is not good.
He is terminal and he is entering his final battle with cancer.

For those who may wish to see Allen, please do so during the
immediate days ahead.

He is sedated to ease the pain from cancer...
but at times will respond to his name...he will welcome you...
enter the room 15510 quietly and at his bedside call out his name...
most times he will respond by opening his eyes to see who is there...
and can chat with you a little bit.

Please keep Allen in your prayers and thoughts...

tj

Note: In lieu of flowers for his hospital room,
if you wish, please make a donation to the
charity group Allen was most instrumental in
its founding :
in honor of Allen Briggs - at Thais4Life.
Thank You.

Davey612
July 23rd, 2009, 01:51
Allen has a special place in my players and thoughts. I will always remember him as someone who was willing to meet a complete stranger and have dinner. Will always have the image of him taking out his worn out passport. No one else followed Thai laws and regulations that close.

catawampuscat
July 23rd, 2009, 02:11
I have known Allen since my first visits to Pattaya and fondly remember his gatherings of forum
members to meet and greet.. Allen organized them a few times a year and they were great for
newcomers to get acquainted with fellow gay men with similar interests..

It gladdens my heart to see fellow posters such as Pattaya Male, Traveller Jim and Geezer jump in
and give their time and energy to help out a friend in need..
It is easy to send in some baht but ones time is special and I applaud them and others who walk the walk
and not just talk the talk..

Allen helped me find my first apartment in Pattaya many years ago.. He went out of his way to arrange for
the Thai owner to show me apartments as well as a farang who owned/managed units in the same condo..
I didn't know Allen then and he just helped out a stranger.
Choke dee Allen :cat:

bing
July 24th, 2009, 20:09
I am gratified to see the outpouring of affection for Allen. I first met him at one of the weekly Thais4Life meetings at the first store. I had a few books to donate and remember there were about 10 guys who came in and out of the meeting. I guess the last time I saw him was two years ago at one of the Charity dinners at Brunos. We were at the same table and as I recall we chatted about have proper ID with you in bars. I mentioned I use the copy of passport pic page and also copy of entrance document. He cited times when Boys in Brown did not like copies, but were usually open to letting a farang get the document without a trip to the police station. I would wish to send flights of angels to Allen to guard against pain help his rest.

Wesley
July 26th, 2009, 04:34
I am gratified to see the outpouring of affection for Allen. I first met him at one of the weekly Thais4Life meetings at the first store. I had a few books to donate and remember there were about 10 guys who came in and out of the meeting. I guess the last time I saw him was two years ago at one of the Charity dinners at Brunos. We were at the same table and as I recall we chatted about have proper ID with you in bars. I mentioned I use the copy of passport pic page and also copy of entrance document. He cited times when Boys in Brown did not like copies, but were usually open to letting a farang get the document without a trip to the police station. I would wish to send flights of angels to Allen to guard against pain help his rest.

He was a freid to anyone he met, although I am sure some of us did not make life all that easy for him when he was running the forum. However at his meet and greets I was able to meet old Jinks and Gezzer those two I remember well. Allen as always a great gentlemen made it all worth our time.

All the best my friend.

I am sure if there is a God, You certainly will find him or he will find you!

Wes

July 26th, 2009, 21:22
If you visit Allen now, you should find him much more awake. They have stopped the heavy sedation. They have removed, for now, the catheter for urination. It may seem to those that visited earlier as though he is doing better.

In talking with the doctor today, he said that he appears that way because he is not sedated. But he has now developed a bacterial infection that is affecting his lungs. He is not strong enough to cough enough.

He is still very spunky. The head nurse was doing something that was painful. Allen told her to stop, but she ignored him. So he punched her to get her attention. Allen says she is more respectful now....

travelerjim
July 28th, 2009, 14:37
Thank you friends...
for your caring concerns for our friend Allen.

Pattaya Male and I met with doctors this day - Tuesday morning July 28th -
at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital (BPH)...seeking to assess Allen's condition.

The prognosis remains the same,
as his cancer condition is in Stage 4 and terminal.

He is receiving 24 hour care by both the hospital staff at BPH and the 3 Thais who are caring for him at all times...
and who have seen to it that his care needs are addressed promptly.

For those many friends of Allen's in Pattaya and Bangkok ...as well the many students of Asian University who have visited "Ajarn Allen" (he was their beloved Professor of Law - Dr. Allen Briggs, J.D. - and their MBA Advisor) ....indeed your visits brighten his day during the moments spent with you and brings much joy and happiness to him.

He is still at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital - 15th floor, room 15-510.
Afternoon and early evenings are the best times to visit Allen.

As you enter his room, either Ood, Pae or Mean will greet you. Step close to Allen's bedside and call out his name...most always - his eyes will pop wide open and he will be happy to see and chat with you.

He is having physical therapy sessions each day - the male Thai therapist brings a smile to Allen - along with therapy - each day as the therapist is a most handsome Thai! Such is Allen's good luck :-)

Allen is also eating some food - little bit at a time - with liquid and soup....enriched with supplements.

He also is sitting up a little bit each day and exercising with the male therapist...
pain therapy is ongoing...his nights and early morning hours are usually difficult hours for him...as he calls out to one of his 3 caretakers, Ood, Pae or Mean, many times seeking assurance that they are there for him...and asking for comfort help.

As to the question whether Allen will return to his condo - that question is being reviewed to see how we can coordinate the needed 24 hour medical support and care he will need with his condo environment. More later...as more is known.

For this week for sure, Allen will remain at BPH hospital...
and possibly will be there in the weeks ahead too.

Our sole concern has been and is now for Allen's care and well-being.

I am proud of the care he is receiving by all who have come..
"to help him"...at his request ...in his time of special need.

Thank You All!

tj

ps... May I add the fact that Allen has excellent health insurance and does NOT NEED any financial assistance or donations of money. He has adequate funds on hand to pay any and all costs related to his medical care and final hospital and other bills; he also has life insurance which will pay for his funeral expenses...as per Allen's written wishes.

July 28th, 2009, 22:35
While I am sure there are those who are interested in this up to the minute death watch and all the attended minutia, I am at a loss as to why anyone needs to know about the state of this poor man's finances and the various disbursements being made on his behalf. I wouldn't be at all surprised if future posts included full color pictures. It's all in very poor taste and would seem to be more about the poster's vainglory and selfless Mother Theresa like devotion. For any of you other old goats with one foot in the grave I would stay well clear of Traveler Jim unless you want your final days graphically depicted for all the world to see. No dignity in death here.

Smiles
July 28th, 2009, 22:48
Difficult to disagree with at least part of the above post. Why Allen's finances (of any kind) should be liberally shared on an internet message board full of anonymous posters is quite beyond belief.
General medical updates regarding a guy who is well known to many on the Boards are one thing, but personal money stuff of course should be completely private. TravelerJim should know better (though it doesn't surprise me for some reason).

July 28th, 2009, 22:52
While I am sure there are those who are interested in this up to the minute death watch and all the attended minutia, I am at a loss as to why anyone needs to know about the state of this poor man's finances and the various disbursements being made on his behalf.

I have to agree, these details are totally unnecessary, in very poor taste and getting worse with every post TJ makes. I think the example shown by Tim & Tom, e-mailing those who are interested in Mick's condition, is one which is preferable for all concerned.

July 28th, 2009, 22:53
Thanks, T.Jim, for the updates. I visited him yesterday and I was surprised to see him with his humor fully functioning. It's not easy for me to get to BHP. I really appreciate your updates.
Please keep up the good work.
To those of you made uncomfortable with discussions by friends, of friends dying, maybe not reading the posts would help?

Diec
July 29th, 2009, 05:27
Allen has been a dear friend of mine for many years. It is therefore not illogical my shock at seeing him just a few years ago barely able to walk. I'm surprised he made it this far. Allen's love for Thailand knew no bounds, he loved all things Thai. I will miss you Allen Briggs, you brought much joy to many many a Thai boy's heart. I do hope you are able to clear up your financial situation with your friends and boys you have know through the years. Please refer to the excellent thread that x started about wills and where he will leave his millions of baht.

July 29th, 2009, 05:56
... I am at a loss as to why anyone needs to know about the state of this poor man's finances and the various disbursements being made on his behalf....

I agree, but you are forgetting:

ps... May I add the fact that Allen has excellent health insurance and does NOT NEED any financial assistance or donations of money. He has adequate funds on hand to pay any and all costs related to his medical care and final hospital and other bills; he also has life insurance which will pay for his funeral expenses...as per Allen's written wishes.

and

TravelerJim
For your international health insurance options,
Please visit:
http://www.imglobal.com/insurance_plans ... gac=231894

TJ appears to revel in mixing business with the pleasure of updating us on every gory detail of poor Allen's condition ... (didn't that insurance policy do well).
Although the post says "With Permission" I very much doubt that Allen would have expected his personal finances to have been broadcast on the World-Wide-Web.
It is, as others have said, in very poor taste and completely unnecessary.

travelerjim
July 29th, 2009, 10:07
[quote="Once In A While":lomc1l6q]... I am at a loss as to why anyone needs to know about the state of this poor man's finances and the various disbursements being made on his behalf....

I agree, but you are forgetting:

and

TravelerJim
For your international health insurance options,
Please visit:
http://www.imglobal.com/insurance_plans ... gac=231894

TJ appears to revel in mixing business with the pleasure of updating us on every gory detail of poor Allen's condition ... (didn't that insurance policy do well).
Although the post says "With Permission" I very much doubt that Allen would have expected his personal finances to have been broadcast on the World-Wide-Web.
It is, as others have said, in very poor taste and completely unnecessary.[/quote:lomc1l6q]

My apology if you feel I have not served Allen's interests well with my update postings.

For the record, Allen has Blue Cross Worldwide- from his retirement...not my policy.
It is excellent coverage and I am pleased to be able to help him with his health insurance
claims processing and other insurance and medical care related matters...at his request.

My point in posting the financial info...
ONLY was to let his friends know...
Allen can and will pay for his medical care and final bills ...
and that he has taken care of his bf - before, now and in the future...
with good prior planning.

I will now defer to fellow poster Pattaya Male for any future postings ..
about Allen's condition...as he may see appropriate.

tj

July 29th, 2009, 15:25
It's such a relief that he is being well taken care of I was quite worried when reading the post, a close thing for many old people. Well done. I think a fund people contribute to is an excellent idea so no one has to have a frightening and horrible time of it when they can no longer manage for themselves. A lawyer can manage the account.

How lucky indeed you found he had bank accounts hidden away, gosh it just shows even a persons finances can go haywire and be of no help without somebody there. And that's the thing we will all need somebody when we get old. Has a will been drawn up this is so important for his peace of mind.

Was Allen ever a member of Sawatdee? It's just we are missing a dear old member in action and no one can quite work it out. He was such a constant here ,then suddenly he was gone. Maybe you can whisper "Sawatdee" or 'Homintern" his nick in his ear see if there is any response.

x in pattaya
July 29th, 2009, 15:54
Was Allen ever a member of Sawatdee? It's just we are missing a dear old member in action and no one can quite work it out. He was such a constant here ,then suddenly he was gone.

Am I confused? I thought Allen was the founder/moderator of PattayaGay, the predecessor of Sawatdee? Hardly to be confused with the lost goat to whom you refer.

I was at the Marriot a couple of days ago for the US Consular outreach and overheard people talking about Allen. One said that some students had visited him and sang some songs for him. Obviously very well loved.

July 29th, 2009, 16:54
Am I confused? I thought Allen was the founder/moderator of PattayaGay, the predecessor of Sawatdee? Hardly to be confused with the lost goat to whom you refer.

Well exactly he might have needed a release it's not at all unusual for a moderator to have a forum alter-ego in facts it's often a given. Its even more likely given that he was involved in someway. He would've been on the forum as somebody surely?

Old goat or not Homintern is missed, missing and people have been worried.

Hope Allen is enjoying himself a bit. A gentle massage is a nice idea even if its just his feet or hands.

July 29th, 2009, 19:34
people have been worried.

There you go, exaggerating again.

July 29th, 2009, 21:33
Although the post says "With Permission" I very much doubt that Allen would have expected his personal finances to have been broadcast on the World-Wide-Web. It is, as others have said, in very poor taste and completely unnecessary.

It was also completely unnecessary for him to have been named at all as anyone who knew Allen well, particularly on this board, would presumably have known that he was Gay Pattayan and that should have sufficed.

Rule 3 (IDENTIFYING MEMBERS BY THEIR REAL NAMES, OR BY POSTING THEIR ADDRESSES, PHONE NUMBERS, E-MAIL ADDRESSES (etc etc.) IS NOT ALLOWED.), along with most other Posting Guidelines, appears to be of little interest to anybody.

July 30th, 2009, 15:32
It was also completely unnecessary for him to have been named at all as anyone who knew Allen well.....

How sad I didn't know he had passed away already. Bless him. My apologies if I sounded at all irreverent.

Im sure it was a great relief for everyone who knew him to have known that he was financially fine in his time of greatest need. I think thanks are in order to Traveller Jim for so kindly reporting all this before he died.

As he was such a well liked character on the Pattayian stage Im sure he would've been more than happy to have been able to share the fact of his nearing departure through TJ with all of you.

I would love to see his picture up here personally. Even though I will never get to meet him now he just sounded like he was a very, very special guy. :salute:

July 30th, 2009, 15:37
I guess I missed the part about his passing.

July 30th, 2009, 16:17
As did I.

Never mind it's the thoughts that counted after all.

Smiles
July 30th, 2009, 21:49
" ... (after reading(?) an entire thread on how Allen Briggs is NOT dead, Cedric writes): How sad I didn't know he had passed away already... As did I. Never mind it's the thoughts that counted after all ... "Jeepers creepers . . . stage Cedric & WhiteDesire within one message board, at the same time, almost on top of each other (happens about twice a year, like a bird migration), and all onlookers are treated to a royal feast of Density-&-Tears. Good name for a book.

July 31st, 2009, 08:12
This is getting quite spooky possums, Smiles re-erected twice in a week. Who needs viagra when you've got Sawatdee.

Anyone hear from his longish-term how arrangements are going that sort of thing, I hear he's looking for a second hand tepee to use as coffin, pole not necessary.

travelerjim
July 31st, 2009, 13:25
I guess I missed the part about his passing.

Our friend Allen is alive...and improved over the past week...
though the terminal prognosis remains the same...

He is still at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital Room 15-510...
and will probably - per Dr. Manoon - be there for another 7 days..or so...
for a special anti-biotic drip treatment for an infection ..
and will continue to receive daily physical therapy from the handsome male Thai therapist ...
who brings big smiles to Allen when he walks into his room :-)

Today, Friday July 31st - at 3:00pm...Allen's favorite singer/entertainer ..
Toi of Cafe Royale will make a special visit to see Allen...that is a "surprise for Allen" today!

Allen often over the years ...would go to see and listen to Toi sing
wherever Toi entertained..including the old Icon Club and Cafe Royale.

tj

July 31st, 2009, 13:41
Lovely news. Sounds like he is having quite a good time. I was just going back (irritaing a few posters) trying to read his old posts or posts about him. He really is a gem.

Don't know what gonefishing was on about, it's lovely to hear he is still being referred to in the present tense. :cheers:

July 31st, 2009, 20:33
Im sorry to hear that Allen also had hearing problems, maybe El Duo could also pay a visit.

August 1st, 2009, 01:04
I will now defer to fellow poster Pattaya Male for any future postings ..
about Allen's condition...as he may see appropriate.

tj

Really??

andrewcraig
August 2nd, 2009, 09:10
[quote="Lovely_Rs":11c8kqs6]Although the post says "With Permission" I very much doubt that Allen would have expected his personal finances to have been broadcast on the World-Wide-Web. It is, as others have said, in very poor taste and completely unnecessary.

It was also completely unnecessary for him to have been named at all as anyone who knew Allen well, particularly on this board, would presumably have known that he was Gay Pattayan and that should have sufficed.

Rule 3 (IDENTIFYING MEMBERS BY THEIR REAL NAMES, OR BY POSTING THEIR ADDRESSES, PHONE NUMBERS, E-MAIL ADDRESSES (etc etc.) IS NOT ALLOWED.), along with most other Posting Guidelines, appears to be of little interest to anybody.[/quote:11c8kqs6]

Surely there is a case of double standards here about two different identities whose private medical conditions have been
bounced around with glee by several high minded people. I believe it was unnecessary for any of the detail bought forward or the discussion about the finances of the individual. Is nothing private.

I cannot forget the same people were involved in the same vulgar way with John Bottings medical history and his financial situation.

Why is rule 3 being quoted when phone calls were made to the hospital about Mick and posted by a Lois Lane wanting a scoop and with no interest in the privacy of an individual.

August 3rd, 2009, 13:33
I think it was a lovely thing to do. I enjoy reading about the trials and tribulations elderly people must go through when their time is near. It's invaluable. If only there was more detail about his private life, like is there any family and have they been contacted, any pets that need assistance? All issues that make dying less traumatic Im sure.

Elderly men who love men often die a very lonely isolated death with very little if any family near by. This is however to me a very heartening story, I am in real awe that the gay expat network in Thailand looks after its own like this and have rallied to support, and would have if needed for finances etc. :thumbleft:

August 5th, 2009, 00:03
I cannot forget the same people were involved in the same vulgar way with John Bottings medical history and his financial situation.

Why is rule 3 being quoted when phone calls were made to the hospital about Mick and posted by a Lois Lane wanting a scoop and with no interest in the privacy of an individual.

Obviously you not only can forget, but you have forgotten. During my many posts concerning John Botting I never once raised the subject of his "medical history and his financial situation" (although others may have done so).

Rule 3 is being quoted because it specifically concerns "IDENTIFYING MEMBERS BY THEIR REAL NAMES"; neither I nor, to be fair, LMTU/etc, etc, etc named Mick ("Mick" is not actually his first name - it is his second).

You are raising exactly the same point (with, rather curiously, exactly the same analogy) as was raised previously, but which was left unanswered by the originator; maybe you would like to answer it there (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/global-forum/what-bunch-arseholes-t17871.html?hilit=lois#p180513)?

August 5th, 2009, 00:34
It's MICHAEL actually