PDA

View Full Version : Where thereтАЩs a will тАж

x in pattaya
July 14th, 2009, 15:56
We were just at the lawyerтАЩs office. I wanted to amend my Thai will to ensure it complies with my embassyтАЩs requirements so that my friend will be able to immediately make funeral arrangements (preferably waiting until after IтАЩve died) without their interference. He, of course, gets everything, including all physical and financial assets in Thailand and financial assets in the US. I emphasize that because (a) it is the truth, and (b) IтАЩm sure it will enrage & aggravate some of the inmates here.

francois
July 14th, 2009, 16:04
Enlighten us some more X. I greatly doubt that a Thai Will shall cover your assets in the US. And can you give link or info on embassy's requirements regarding funeral arrangements.
Like you I do have a Thai Will which cover assets in Thailand but not in my home country for which I have a separate Will.

July 14th, 2009, 16:16
IтАЩm sure it will enrage & aggravate some of the inmates here.

You must think you're pretty important if you think anyone here would give a flying fuck what you did with your assets. Why is it anyone's business but your own, and why are you telling us to begin with?

x in pattaya
July 14th, 2009, 16:22
Enlighten us some more X. I greatly doubt that a Thai Will shall cover your assets in the US. And can you give link or info on embassy's requirements regarding funeral arrangements.
Like you I do have a Thai Will which cover assets in Thailand but not in my home country for which I have a separate Will.

re:Embassy, I emailed a consular officer at the US Embassy and explained that I did not want to have the embassy step in and put a hold on funeral, etc., pending contact with family in the US.

I was told that I should specify in the will that my friend was my executor as well as beneficiary and that he was to be able to proceed with funeral arrangements & dispostion of property without interference from the embassy or anyone else ... not the exact wording, but that was the essence. It needed to be witnessed & notarized and they would honor it.

He's already named as beneficiary for financial assets in the US and possible residue of pension payments, but I included that reference in the Thai will (and also the lawyer has copies of the beneficiary statements from my brokerage accounts and US pension provider indicating that my friend has been designated as beneficiary).

No, the Thai will would not effect assets in the US, but the reference & the documents might serve to generate some assistance for him in claiming them. Hopefully I'll have some forewarning of my demise and can engineer things to make it easier for him, but if I get run over by a runaway song taeow tomorrow, he'll need some help in laying claim to US assets.

x in pattaya
July 14th, 2009, 16:36
[quote="x in pattaya":3r6whp06] IтАЩm sure it will enrage & aggravate some of the inmates here.

You must think you're pretty important if you think anyone here would give a flying fuck what you did with your assets. Why is it anyone's business but your own, and why are you telling us to begin with?[/quote:3r6whp06]

I already told you because I knew it would enrage cretins like you. Mission accomplished.

I also hope it might encourage others to do the same thing because if they die intestate their friends will be left high & dry.

Why would making a will imply that I thought I was important? Even if he only gets the condo and the money in my bank account that would be a few million baht. Not much by farang standards, but it could make a significant difference for him.And I seem to recall when someone passed away, maybe David-in-Pattaya but I'm not sure, that everything was held up for a long time because his embassy wanted consent from family back in UK.

I suppose the implication of your fury is that you're living in a rented room with one change of clothes and scavenge in dumpsters for your meals and/or there is no one you care about enough to consider a will necessary.

Everyday you reveal more and more of your sad, pathetic, bitter nature. But thanks for your response. There's another troll who I thought would beat you to the punch, but apparently he's dozing.

July 14th, 2009, 16:46
Why would making a will imply that I thought I was important?

It wouldn't.

Sharing your personal details and pontificating as to why others should follow your example would.

pennyboy
July 14th, 2009, 16:51
I'm with beach Bunny on this one. Why X in Pattaya would think that the contents of his will would interest anyone never mind enrage anyone is beyond me. Makes him look like a self important prick.

x in pattaya
July 14th, 2009, 17:11
I'm with beach Bunny on this one. Why X in Pattaya would think that the contents of his will would interest anyone never mind enrage anyone is beyond me. Makes him look like a self important prick.

Actually I didn't tell anyone about the contents of the will, except as far as I did in answering a question asked, and it obviously did enrage someone and got you all fired up to post your fourth message.

Is it any wonder so many farang in Pattaya commit suicide? Some of you really are consumed with self-hate. Take a deep breath and get a grip on yourself ... somewhere other than the place you usually grip yourself.

July 14th, 2009, 17:22
Some of you really are consumed with self-hate.

Self-hate?

We hate pompous, pontificating asses like you. We don't hate ourselves...LOL.

x in pattaya
July 14th, 2009, 18:18
Apparently for people with backgrounds in the lower socio-economic classes (as well as those with dangerously unstable personalities), consulting a lawyer and making a will are activities reserved for the elite.

It seems to me it's just common sense that if you care about someone and want to make sure he's not left out on the street without any resources when you die, you'd make a will and make it possible for him to wrap up your affairs without too much of a hassle.

I knew it would provoke some of the fringe people who are struggling to make it from month to month and have no one special to care for, but this turned out to be quite a bonanza in terms of infuriating the Fruit-Loop Brigade.

Makes me wonder if there are residential psychiatric facilities available to people we care about like FumbleBunny and the newly (re)incarnated PunyBoy.

Seriously guys, I can really feel your pain. I know you can't control the tantrums you throw. I'm sending you a big kiss and hope you can come to terms with those demons consuming you.Love you... seriously... Mmmmmwwwaaa..smack.

Hmmmm. That was almost too easy. Now I have think of something else that will truly piss you off.

Did I mention that my friend is the nicest, sexiest, sweetest person in the whole world? I know that gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.

x in pattaya
July 14th, 2009, 18:52
[quote="x in pattaya":2meyut7r]

Some of you really are consumed with self-hate.

Self-hate?

We hate pompous, pontificating asses like you. We don't hate ourselves...LOL.[/quote:2meyut7r]

He said pompously.

"We?" Do you hear voices urging you to vent your spleen?

Anyway I'm serving a useful purpose. Since you apparently need to hate someone to validate your existence, I'm glad to give you a focus. When you really spew, do you have problems controlling your bladder or anal sphincter muscles? I mean sometimes you and the other garden gnomes that are in concert with you really do seem to be losing it.

Thanks for the laughs Since you seems essentially intelligent, I can't believe you don't realize how petty and vindictive you always sound ... and yes that does indicate a very feeble sense of self. It also makes it easy to understand why you'd be unable to form a lasting relationship, but maybe you can mellow.

:flower: Big kiss going out to you Pumpkin.

July 14th, 2009, 19:03
Jeez guys give it a rest.

X tells us what his arrangements are and puts his interpretation of his situation up for comment. Reasoned discussion would enlighten those interested in the interplay of two legal systems. It would be an example for persons in similar situations. Knowledgable people would toss in their two cents which would turn out to be worth thousands of dollars to others.

But what do we get instead ...

Khor tose
July 14th, 2009, 19:27
X tells us what his arrangements are and puts his interpretation of his situation up for comment. Reasoned discussion would enlighten those interested in the interplay of two legal systems. It would be an example for persons in similar situations. Knowledgable people would toss in their two cents which would turn out to be worth thousands of dollars to others.

Francois tried to do that and then ......... :argue:
555 thank you for adding some sanity back to the thread.. I too need to make a will, as I need my ashes returned to the states, and I wish to know if someone has had a similar need and how they do it in Thailand. Go X, there is nothing wrong with your post.

a447
July 14th, 2009, 20:23
the nicest, sexiest, sweetest person in the whole world

Geez, I could also be just like that.......if you also paid me enough.

Chuai-Duai
July 14th, 2009, 20:26
You must think you're pretty important if you think anyone here would give a flying fuck what you did with your assets. Why is it anyone's business but your own, and why are you telling us to begin with?

I had to laugh at our cuniculus troll's reply (for the first time).

The unconscious irony of suggesting someone else's post is of no interest while assuming his fatuous reply will be is delicious.

What an idiot...

Bring back mixomatosis.

x in pattaya
July 14th, 2009, 20:37

555 thank you for adding some sanity back to the thread.. I too need to make a will, as I need my ashes returned to the states, and I wish to know if someone has had a similar need and how they do it in Thailand. Go X, there is nothing wrong with your post.

Thanks. I do derive some small pleasure in provoking the rabble, but I did mean it as a serious point that many of us need to think about. If you marry a Thai woman she undoubtedly has some automatic rights (I assume) to communal property, but no matter how attached you feel to you male friend, when you die he won't have any right to anything you have unless you put it into a properly prepared Thai will.

Although I probably do some across as pompous at times, again some of it with every intention of irritating the nebbishes, I also want to provoke as many of you as possible into putting into action your good intentions with your longer term friends and with the guys in the bars.

This will update thing has been on my mind for months and itтАЩs the easiest thing in the world to keep putting off because you canтАЩt possibly die, right? But this morning soon after my friend arrived I gave myself a verbal kick in the butt and took him off to the lawyer to get it settled.

IтАЩm afraid I donтАЩt know about the process for returning your ashes to your home country since my plans are to remain here. I think on the Thai end of things it shouldnтАЩt be a big problem, but you might contact your embassy to see if anything especially complicated is involved and I think this would be one more good reason to get a Thai will made explicitly naming someone(s) to handle all of this and detailing whatever it is you want done.

The other problem which a Thai will canтАЩt really deal with is if you have assets in your home country, some of which you want to ensure reach your Thai friend. No matter how well he speaks English and how intelligent he is, itтАЩs going to be very difficult for him to fathom what needs to be done to claim something in the US or UK or wherever. IтАЩve tried to make it possible for him to deal with it with some help from the Thai lawyer, but IтАЩm not very confident in the results.

If anyone has some thoughts on that please share.

Sorry if I come across as pompous and pontificating ( well moderately sorry тАж sometimes I enjoy it) ,but I do have a guardian angel complex when it come to these guys, so feel free to think of me as a pompous prick, but I hope I push some of you into doing what youтАЩve been meaning to do and I hope I push some of you into being a bit more realistic in your generosity and I congratulate all of you who share my love of Thailand and Thai boys and have already left me in the dust in the way you treat the boys.

the nicest, sexiest, sweetest person in the whole world

Geez, I could also be just like that.......if you also paid me enough.

Damn, I keep throwing out that line assuming there canтАЩt be anymore trolls stupid enough to bite, but they keep biting. Amazing.

a447
July 14th, 2009, 20:51
Damn, I keep throwing out that line assuming there canтАЩt be anymore trolls stupid enough to bite, but they keep biting. Amazing.
No, what is really amazing is guys like you who refer to their rentboys (prostitutes) as "boyfriends" or "friends."
What can't you be honest and call a spade a spade? You are not fooling anyone - except yourself, perhaps.
Here's an idea - stop paying him for a week and see if he sticks around. That should give you a clue.

July 14th, 2009, 21:32

Point 1. It was X who first insulted other forum members in his original post.
Point 2. Why do your ashes NEED to be returned to the STATES (don't they have enough crap over there)

Brad the Impala
July 14th, 2009, 21:57
[

The other problem which a Thai will canтАЩt really deal with is if you have assets in your home country, some of which you want to ensure reach your Thai friend. No matter how well he speaks English and how intelligent he is, itтАЩs going to be very difficult for him to fathom what needs to be done to claim something in the US or UK or wherever. IтАЩve tried to make it possible for him to deal with it with some help from the Thai lawyer, but IтАЩm not very confident in the results.

My expectation is that this is solved by a will in the country of origin, naming your partner as beneficiary, and naming a trustworthy friend, ideally someone who is also familiar with your partner, as Executor. Can it really be as simple as that?

Smiles
July 14th, 2009, 22:06
Agree with Brad. If you kick the bucket, your Will in the US names such-&-such as beneficiary. Your Will instructs the Executor to turn everything you own into cash, and after that's done, he/she writes a a check and sends it to the beneficiary, Khun Such-&-Such. The country he's a citizen of is unimportant . . . he just gets a check in the mail, as your Will makes your wishes crystal clear.
Simple?

francois
July 14th, 2009, 23:40
My expectation is that this is solved by a will in the country of origin, naming your partner as beneficiary, and naming a trustworthy friend, ideally someone who is also familiar with your partner, as Executor. Can it really be as simple as that?[/quote]

Can it really be as simple as that? No, no, no. Wish it could. Having been the Executor of several Wills, it is not that simple. Trustworthy, Friend and Executor often times are mutually exclusive. I am dealing with the same situation as X and still am unable to find an ideal solution.

July 15th, 2009, 00:27
All assets are suject to the laws of the country in which they are held, it is therefor wise to have a will made out in each country where you have assets. A Thai will has no legal status in (say) the UK but it could be used as evidence were an estate is being contested. I don,t understand the bit about the pension. Why would a Pension Fund keep paying out money to your Thai boyfriend.....The mind boggles

July 15th, 2009, 00:44

re:Embassy, I emailed a consular officer at the US Embassy and explained that I did not want to have the embassy step in and put a hold on funeral, etc., pending contact with family in the US.

I was told that I should specify in the will that my friend was my executor as well as beneficiary and that he was to be able to proceed with funeral arrangements & dispostion of property without interference from the embassy or anyone else ... not the exact wording, but that was the essence. It needed to be witnessed & notarized and they would honor it.

He's already named as beneficiary for financial assets in the US and possible residue of pension payments, but I included that reference in the Thai will (and also the lawyer has copies of the beneficiary statements from my brokerage accounts and US pension provider indicating that my friend has been designated as beneficiary).

No, the Thai will would not effect assets in the US, but the reference & the documents might serve to generate some assistance for him in claiming them. Hopefully I'll have some forewarning of my demise and can engineer things to make it easier for him, but if I get run over by a runaway song taeow tomorrow, he'll need some help in laying claim to US assets.

I am wondering how the US pension works. When I tried that with mine I was told that the beneficiary had to have a social security number.............I guess the government hasn't take enough money from me. Wants more when I die!!

Impulse
July 15th, 2009, 01:58
I think this was a great thread to start X,as others have said,it will breed intelligent discusion and maybe help a few who were thinking of a will. For the ones complaining,I have a question.What was the last post you initiated that was as interesting? And Beach Bunny,why dont you give romain lettuce a rest? Everyone knows romania and you are one and the same.Whats the purpose of bringing him out?,to make believe there are others who agree with you? lol. Id be more impressed with the number of post you have made as beach bunny than wasting them on your dual personality.

Impulse
July 15th, 2009, 03:59
A bold challenge Romania,however,beach bunny could be sending a message to the UK,telling the poster(you),what to say.So you could be you,but you are only a messenger for bb. And the prolific amount of post he makes it wouldnt surprise me,as this is such a major part of his life. You see,to enjoy a movie or a book,you usually need characters involved to make it interesting.In this thread,X was making the thread more interesting by explaining what he will do in his will.It also gave us something to use as an example. Yet you ,bb and pennyboy attacked him for this inclusion.This is very boring on your parts.We might as well stay off this web site and just read an encyclopedia. Why dont you start a thread instead of jumping in with your non productive rants.We have lost many good posters because they know they will be trolled upon by the likes of you.They are posting on other boards now and I miss their contributions here.

francois
July 15th, 2009, 11:53
I don,t understand the bit about the pension. Why would a Pension Fund keep paying out money to your Thai boyfriend.....The mind boggles

Pension Funds often have provisions for continued payments, after the death of the pensioner, to his spouse, domestic partner, children, etc.
However the monthly benefit to the pensioner will be reduced if he should accept one of these options. It is all based on longevity tables of the pensioner and his beneficiaries. For example, rather than receive $4,000/month for life, he may opt to receive $2000/,month and then his partner would continue to receive that $2000/month for the rest of his life. Many variations.

In the US, a Social Security Number is normally required to make any type of after-death payments to someone. Examples are pensions, bank accounts, insurance policies, and on and on. Wills do not require a SS number, but the beneficiary, if without a SS number, will likely have to apply for an alternate ID number known as a TIN (temporary identification number).

francois
July 15th, 2009, 19:16
To placate you a little: A friend of mine in the USA ( Texas) died two years ago and he had considerable property and cash assets in both Texas and in Chiang Mai. He had been living with a Thai girlfriend for about 12 years (never got married and had no children). When he died his will decreed that his Executor a US bank dispose of all of his property and other investments and with the money realised from those sales and after the taxes had been paid and a few bequests had been paid out the the remainder of the money along with the cash he already had in his US bank accounts be transferred to his Thai girlfriend. It took about 11 months from the time of his death until the estate was finally settled but once it was settled the bank transferred the money to his Thai girlfriend. I have no idea what charges the bank levied for this service but it is certainly possible to make such a stipulation and it be completed as wished.

What you write, romania, is on target. If an Executor employs a competent attorney to handle the Will, then the wishes of the deceased will be honored. Fees for both the Attorney and Executor are about 3% /each or more on the gross assets of the Estate.
In a modest Estate an Executor might proceed without an attorney with mixed results. If the beneficiary was a foreigner and not able to represent himself, well, out of sight, out of mind.

July 15th, 2009, 23:22
Thai boyfriends have no rights over your pension afer you die no matter how much you will it. I don't think pension funds would survive if that was the case. And I have never heard of any fund that pays out to anyone other than a leagal spouse.

July 16th, 2009, 01:14
555 thank you for adding some sanity back to the thread..

Agreed 100% KT and 555.

It is a serious subject which is all too often overlooked until far too late, as is the subject of "living wills", which those who have not made them should have been alerted to by the current problems and dilemmas being faced/caused by one notable member of Pattaya's gay community at the moment, which has been given some prominence here. Before anyone takes offence, for any reason, I would like to make it clear that none of the following comments refer specifically to anyone, under any circumstances..

Without a living will nobody can say for sure what your wishes are in the event that you lapse into a coma, are put on life support, or are unable to fully communicate. A flippant comment along the lines of "put me down if I ever get into that state" is just as misleading as "there's always hope - miracles can happen" and has just as little force in law. To ensure that what you want happens, if the worst comes to the worst, you must put your wishes down in writing and have it witnessed; you may also want to put down some caveats, such as "keep me going until the insurance runs out, then stop" or "keep me going until my last baht/penny/cent is spent" or even "keep me going until you have spent all my money as well as that of any family and friends who are willng to help". It should be your choice, no-one else's.

Without some form of power of attorney in the event of your incapacity, or joint bank accounts accessible with a single signature, accessing any money you have either in Thailand or abroad will be difficult and time-consuming. Whatever medical insurance you have could easily run out before your money becomes available and, unless you have friends who are ready and willing to pay for your medical expenses indefinitely, which could run into tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars/pounds, etc, you may well be turned off by the hospital as soon as the insurance stops paying (which may or may not be what you want).

To answer some of the questions/comments previously made:

All my bank accounts (UK and offshore) are joint accounts with my Thai partner, accessible on a single signature or by phone/internet by a codeword which he also knows. My house and property here is owned by a Thai company which we are both directors of and which, again, requires only one signature. A little extreme, possibly, and not an option I would necessarily recommend, but depending on who you think you can trust you could make similar arrangements giving details of the accounts to one trusted friend, passwords to another, etc, so that at least they would all have to be in collusion to bankrupt you.

what is really amazing is guys like you who refer to their rentboys (prostitutes) as "boyfriends" or "friends." What can't you be honest and call a spade a spade? You are not fooling anyone - except yourself, perhaps. Here's an idea - stop paying him for a week and see if he sticks around. That should give you a clue.

My UK registered Thai Civil Partner used to be a "rentboy (prostitute)". I am not particularly proud or ashamed of it (neither, fortunately, is he), nor am I boasting about it - it is simply a statement of fact; neither of us have ever tried to fool anyone about it. Not only does he have access to all my finances/property as detailed above, but he would also receive an index-linked government pension for life (unless he married) in the event of my demise - he is aware of this and I have already completed the necessary paperwork (less the date of death and Death Certificate!). He is still sticking around, and so am I. "Here's an idea" - why don't you try the same thing with your "boyfriends" or "friends" and see what happens?

My expectation is that this is solved by a will in the country of origin, naming your partner as beneficiary, and naming a trustworthy friend, ideally someone who is also familiar with your partner, as Executor. Can it really be as simple as that?

Can it really be as simple as that? No, no, no. Wish it could. Having been the Executor of several Wills, it is not that simple. Trustworthy, Friend and Executor often times are mutually exclusive.

Sadly very true, Francois. In addition to your comment beng true in general, I have seen the same thing happen here more than once, where a Thai boyfriend was left all or most of a farang's estate with a farang friend of the deceased as executor and the boyfriend got nothing or next to nothing - either because the executor decided that he should also have been the beneficiary, or because he thought that the Thai beneficiary was incapable of managing his new found wealth, so he decided to give him an "allowance" instead. Having three executors and requiring only two to sign any papers (any odd number resolves any potential disputes or delays with a clear majority) is not a guaranteed solution, but it is better than one.

A Thai will has no legal status in (say) the UK but it could be used as evidence were an estate is being contested. I don,t understand the bit about the pension. Why would a Pension Fund keep paying out money to your Thai boyfriend.....The mind boggles

A "Thai will" need not be made out in Thai (in fact the native language of the deceased is preferred), so in fact one will could theoretically cover property in the UK and Thailand. The differences are not in the format of the will but in the application of probate, or its equivalent. In Thailand, for example, the will is not registered or available for public inspection, there is no probate as such and there is no executor, but only an administrator who could do virtually what he wants with the estate once a local court have granted approval regardess of what the will actually says (if he wanted to). The problem is that each approving country needs an original will, which most retain, so the simplest solution is to have one "will" but to make a number of identical "originals" - all individually signed and witnessed. As, for example, the UK, Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man all require probate to be made separately this could mean a lot of "originals"!

My "Thai boyfriend" is also legally my UK Civil Partner - although this has no legal standing in Thailand it does entitle him to an index-linked UK pension, as I have already had confirmed in writing (including ensuring that they know and have recorded his ID card number, in case the English spelling of his Thai name varies!).

I am wondering how the US pension works. When I tried that with mine I was told that the beneficiary had to have a social security number.

The UK forms have a similar "box", but you can input a passport or ID card number instead, with an explanation in another "box". I would have thought that until the US approves gay marriage/partnership, etc, it would all be up to the individual pension fund, not "the government"?

There is nothing earthly that lasts so well, on the whole, as money. A man's learning dies with him; even his virtues fade out of remembrance; but the divdends on the stocks he bequeaths his children live and keep his memory green (Oliver Wendell Holmes, 1860)

When it comes to divide an estate the politest men quarrel (Emerson, 1863)

I've often had to notice that a man'll sometimes do the foolishist thing or the meanest thing in his hull life after he's dead (Edward Noyes Westcott, 1898)

francois
July 16th, 2009, 01:55
Thai boyfriends have no rights over your pension afer you die no matter how much you will it. I don't think pension funds would survive if that was the case. And I have never heard of any fund that pays out to anyone other than a leagal spouse.

How little do you know andyinoz? Perhaps in OZ pension funds do not pay out to anyone other than a legal spouse, but not same in other countries.
It all depends on the pension fund. It has nothing to do with a Will, just the rules/regulations of the particular pension fund.

July 16th, 2009, 03:55
I've just received a document today from my pension provider asking for the details of beneficiaries for my lump sum payment in the event that I die in harness. There is space for details for three individuals. I've also seen forms recently that have replaced "wife" with "wife/civil partner". The assertion that a surviving civil partner could not benefit from a pension scheme is seriously ill founded. It is my understanding that a civil partner whose pensioned partner from my scheme has deceased will receive the same benefits as a surviving wife would. Andyinoz's boggling mind betrays an imagination unable to envision equality and deeply internalised homophobia.

July 16th, 2009, 09:37
I've just received a document today from my pension provider asking for the details of beneficiaries for my lump sum payment in the event that I die in harness.

How did they know you were into that kind of thing?

July 16th, 2009, 18:53
Why not have someone in your home country act as executor (a third party, not family member) and they just wire the money you designate to your bf bank account? Seems a lot simpler.
Also, no matter how nice your relationship with the bf, is telling him he will inherit some money putting your life at risk?
Not like is hasn't happened before.

Impulse
July 17th, 2009, 03:57
Oh boy,I recently told my ex that Im leaving her a good % of my estate in my will.Just a couple days later her boyfriend brought me a hot meal. But Im still here. :profileright:

July 17th, 2009, 08:22
A Bangkok friend suggested to me once the idea of setting up an annuity for a Thai boyfriend.
Much as I love ladyboyfriend I know he'd just blow right thru any windfall money and be left with nothing after a couple of years.

I haven't gotten off my a$$ to do anything (still too busy partying I guess) but my idea is to buy an insurance policy with an annuity provision in case of my untimely demise and leave my (still meager) assets to my undeserving family in the States.

I haven't even gotten to the point of deciding wether to use a Thai insurance company or an American/International one.

July 17th, 2009, 08:30
A Bangkok friend suggested to me once the idea of setting up an annuity for a Thai boyfriend.
Much as I love ladyboyfriend I know he'd just blow right thru any windfall money and be left with nothing after a couple of years.

I haven't gotten off my a$$ to do anything (still too busy partying I guess) but my idea is to buy an insurance policy with an annuity provision in case of my untimely demise and leave my (still meager) assets to my undeserving family in the States.

I haven't even gotten to the point of deciding wether to use a Thai insurance company or an American/International one.

Im sure "she" will get through your money a lot quicker than you. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

francois
July 17th, 2009, 13:04

If you use an American insurance company they will require a Social Security number for the beneficiary. If you keep on wating the cost of the policy will keep increasing. There are Thai policies but it can be confusing when inquiring about them. You can google AIA for more info.

francois
July 17th, 2009, 13:21
Why not have someone in your home country act as executor (a third party, not family member) and they just wire the money you designate to your bf bank account? Seems a lot simpler.
Also, no matter how nice your relationship with the bf, is telling him he will inherit some money putting your life at risk?
Not like is hasn't happened before.

In theory, a third party Executor is a good idea. In practice it can be difficult. The Executor must be trusted; must comply with the laws of the jurisdiction where the Will was prepared; oftentimes must live close to the "action" in order to sell assets (real estate, personal belonging, etc). This can take months and the final dispositon of funds to the beneficary will take about one year.

In some jurisdictions, such as California/USA there is a trend to prepare a Trust rather than a Will. The Trust will name a Trustee who will carry out the written directions as set forth in the Trust. Similar to a Will but the Courts are not involved and do not oversee the Trustee as they do an Executor. What takes month with a Will can take weeks or days with a Trust. Of course the Trustee maybe cannot be trusted?

For me, I am worth much more alive than dead, so no reason to fear for my life. 5555

x in pattaya
July 17th, 2009, 14:36
When I was last in the US, maybe 8 years ago, I contacted a lawyer ... a gay lawyer who I thought would better understand the issues ... about a trust. It seemed pretty simple/basic to me since I only had financial assets and they were pretty much all in one location.

His initial response was positive and then with each interaction things became more & more complicated. So I just walked away from it all.

The Vanguard Group, with whom I have the investments in question, is located in Pennsylvania and they allow you to declare a beneficiary that will be recognized assuming there's no comflicting will. My friend is named the beneficiary and theoretically there's no problem. But what would be fairly easy and straight forward for another American to get done and what would be the reality for him are two different matters.

The people in the US who I would be most inclined to trust to help deal with it all are my age or older, so it's reasonably likely they'll either predecease me or be residing in gaga land just when they would need to energetically deal with the matter.

The best scenario for me, at least in regard to all of this, would be to be informed that I have 3 months to live and then I would simply liquidate everything and shift it here ... problem solved. I guess you can only plan so much and just have to hope things work out for the best.

July 17th, 2009, 16:00
How is life in GaGaland, Is it anything like BullShitland?

quiet1
July 17th, 2009, 16:56
Lady Gaga seems to be doing rather well these days.

francois
July 18th, 2009, 01:30
How is life in GaGaland, Is it anything like BullShitland?

I did a Google search of BullShitland but not much info. Where in OZ is that? Do you live there?

July 18th, 2009, 09:26
....The best scenario for me, at least in regard to all of this, would be to be informed that I have 3 months to live and then I would simply liquidate everything and shift it here ... problem solved....

Ahh... that's the rub Racer X, things rarely work out in the "Best Scenario".

My dad died last Dec. He had a "Living Will" and a Trust that left everything to my mom.
We still had a hell of a time sorting things out - esp the part about "pulling the plug".
Heaven forbid an uneducated Thai farmboy has to try to "sort things out".

.... I guess you can only plan so much and just have to hope things work out for the best.

AMEN! :cheers: