PDA

View Full Version : Notes from recent Thailand visit...Bangkok.

Alaan
July 9th, 2009, 05:05
Just back from a 3week+ visit to Thailand and just posting some updates and thoughts on my visit which included Bkk Pattaya, Chiang Mai/Sukothai and Issan.

Bangkok was probably the quietest i have experienced yet after about 30+ trips.

One plus point though, was a return visit to The Om Yim guesthouse at the start of my stay..the last visit was a couple or so years ago when it first opened and i was dubious whether the cheaper quality finish in the rooms would stand up to the test of time or fade quickly from new to tired. I decided to try it for a night just to see as i noticed from their web-site they had a large room and one thing which had put me off returning was that the rooms were quite small for me ....... Well i was happy to find that there was no real deterioration and the place was just fine.

Our room bed-area was good size...bathroom was standard size but everything worked ok with good water pressure. There are seats as well as the bed in the room and also a kitchen area which has a large table for dining and can seat 6. As well as microwave, kettle, refridgerator, roomsafe etc... The normal cost is Bt1500 which to me is a real bargain for silom area with BTS right on the doorstep for the size of room. There was a 20% off promotion when i stayed which reduced the room to Bt1275. With free breakfast inc. I have to say that i will stay here again at the start of my next visit in Sept sometime. So for those looking for a reasonably priced room close to silom/suriwong attractions i do recommend the Om Yim.

I also stayed at the Tarntawan.........at the end of my visit.......and again i was very comfortable and happy here. Summer special price of Bt2200 per night was agreeable as well. This was the only place which seemed as busy as i would expect.

Soi Twilight is normally very quiet mid-to late afternoon but this time it was dead. Only myself sitting at Dicks for G+T at 4pm.... but spoiled for choice with the Bonny masseurs when i went for massage.

Went back to Soi Twilight in the evening to find it very quiet...the non-gogo bars such as Maxiis where it is normally difficult to find a seat on the terrace only had myself/bf and another table of 3-4. We went to one gogo bar...Boys of Bangkok/Dream boys which i had never visited in the ten years of trips to Thailand. We were in fact ushered up to Dream boys first.. decent line up of guys.. and the show was ok.
The venue was much busier than i expected....having been sitting in the soi for the last few minutes and seeing the small numbers going to and fro... it was maybe more than half full...with mostly asian customers... when the show finished we were ushered down to Boys Bkk bar with our drinks.. and another show from which we departed half way through ......

We headed to another gay area i rarely go to.... which was silom soi 4... the Balcony terrace was quite busy and the Telephone Bar opposite reasonably busy.... but the rest of the soi was dead. had a couple of nice cocktails here then got a meter taxi (after 2 refusals to turn on the meter:some things never change)... to Rachada soi 8.

Hollywood first which was about 80% full...but we were disappointed with the band and dancers choice of music... little known western numbers and only a couple of good thai songs... not a patch on Pattaya hollywood imho. Then onto G-Star...now that was packed to the rafters!... partying groups of thai boys having great fun! my thai partner was there for the first time and really enjoyed it. Then in by Rachada soi8 pub on the way out for a last 'one for the road' beer... it was very busy too.

Even Suriwong road itself was very quiet compared to the usual madness there...very little traffic and the patpong gogos and bars were very quiet...with every waiter/mamasan/owner complaining about very low farang and chinese numbers.... and all blaming swine flu/yellow shirts/red shirts/ bad publicity with thai scams... i NEVER get into political debates... and on this visit i spent much of my converstaion time either trying to change subjects or feigning misunderstanding...(lazy i know...but its the easiest)...luckily my bf cant be bothered with the politics either.

On my first night i also went to a music for life pub in Lad Prao...and later to Gstar. I have to say all the thai for thai clubs and pubs in Bkk we visited were every bit as busy and full of fun loving guys, gals and-those-in-between as usual but the places which relied on visitors.....farang/asian were very quiet indeed. Low of a low season.

Of course the Soi twilight gogos just dont help themselves either.....with the bt220-bt250 per drink alcoholic or soft.... 2 drinks each with your bf is bt1000... whereas you can pop into Solid have a waiter and 2 boys sit with you for bt400. @4 x bt100 per drink. And although i dont usually bother to comment on the doormen tactics in soi twilight as you just get used to seeing it.....on this occasion they were a complete nightmare... EVERY potential customer was badly harrassed.. i dont let it bother me because i usually just steam through the soi with bf in hand to where we have decide to go without a second glance... but all of the Asian customers Thai/chinese/japanese etc.. as they are much politer get forced into bars...frogmarched in some cases only to reappear out again within 2 minutes...or struggle to keep the polite asian smile...turning more into a 'please fuck off' look... Each of these gogo bars would easily get a fair share of the meandering/wondering potental customers if they were left alone to decide where to go by themselves...but all of this pushing, pulling and shouting...i think now is SERIOUSLY putting off potential customers from even entering the soi....let alone their gogo bars....

Well i suppose nothing exciting here to report really.....just a few observations from my visit in June.

atri1666
July 9th, 2009, 08:07
Same same during my short stay for one weekend. My hotel was good booked ( Siam Heritage ) - many people at breakfast buffet already at 6.30 am. I liked my visits in Dicks Cafe >> good food and good quality juices. Can not say the same from Maxxis. Ordered one orange juice and i got some kind of yellow sugarwater. After asking the waiter he brought a real orange juice. Second order tonic water >> i got about 70/30 tonic/water and no can opened at the table like in Dicks Cafe. Every drink we ordered in Maxxis we had to complain >> they never will see me again.
I liked my stay in Siam Heritage in the big exec. suite. This time no joiner controls, only friendly welcomes. Living room with tv and sleeping room with tv and dvd-player and big bathroom where 2 people could shower at same time, office corner and enough possibilities to store luggage and clothes.

adman5000
July 9th, 2009, 10:42
Can you please comment on your experience at Bonny Massage and the types of guys available? I am sure I have passed it but have never visited.

Alaan
July 9th, 2009, 17:30
With regards to Bonny massage. I have come across a number of reviews for the place over the years with some negative ones. But for me, i have been going here regularly for a few years now and have never been disappointed yet......with all MY expectations from a massage met.

And here is an important point with regard to massage experiences....everbody has different expectations and also one can review the place which will stand up ok for others... but the most important aspect of the massage which is your choice of boy and how you interact is impossible to give accuracy.

Basically i personally dont go to massage for an action packed (on my part) hour or whatever. I have a massage at the start of my stay after sitting on the aircraft for a number of hours and enjoy relaxing.....putting in very little effort while somebody else does the work. I am a top sexually and i cant remember the last time i actually topped a masseur.....if it happens it happens but i'm not that bothered. The other times i go to the massage is when i am knackered with travelling around or too many nights at the disco etc so i'm not really looking for an exertive sexual experience.....i save those for the guys i am staying with or more precicely now my bf .....

So my comments are based on the above info and expectations.

When you go in to Bonny, if you have not already picked out a guy from the ones sitting outside, you will be 'allocated' the next guy on the Bonny roster... but you don't need to accept him...just ask the guy at reception to show the guys available and you will have your own choice.

The reception area is nice enough.....the staff always poilite....when you have chosen your masseur he goes to change while you pick the type of massage and duration... oil for an hour is always enough for me. Bt500. The masseur comes back dressed in a towel(underwear on underneath) with a glass of water..pick up your choice of oil/cream or whatever and leads you to a room which usually has two massage mats on a raised area....not a table as such.....the whole solid massage area is raised. You are then led by the massuer to a shower area outside the room...it is a big area and the masseur showers you...he is sometimes naked sometimes not.He will take you back to shower you again at the end of the massage. when you have disrobed and go to the shower area your belongings stay in the room..the masseur locks the door and takes the key with you. I have NEVER had any incident here of theft or dubious activity from staff.

Back to the room and then it is up to you as they say. The guy takes off the towel and has underwear on...on all the occasions i have been there the masseur was naked. I prefer gay boys in general..... but there are a few straight types here......one or two with small tattoos.... do not be put off by this... i have had great experiences with straight type guys i have found to be very cute and happy endings have always been well up to my expectations. As i say it depends your interaction with the guy. Usually i sit at Dicks Cafe for a drink first i make eye contact with a masseur outside first.. so when i go in with him in tow i dont need to select from line up and there is already an interaction.

On every occsasion the masseur i have been with has had a great attitude here.... and a few times i have been very surprised with the amount of body to body contact, kissing and caressing from even the straightest looking boy.

I have never had a dud from here. In fact i have mobile numbers of a couple who wanted to meet up outside their shift hours.... music being the key here... when chatting generally to the guys before/during/after the massage speaking about likes/dislikes.....music is always one subject all the boys like to talk about and if they know you like a good night out at the music-for-life bars, disco or karaoke they are always up for that.

As a side note....While staying in Saphan Kwai one time i had popped over to Silom via BTS and after the massage found out the massuer.. slim,very cute longer hair...just my type...stayed not far from the area of my hotel the Karnmanee... in an unscheduled moment i asked him out for the evening/night... he signed off his shift there and then.. we headed to Saphan Kwai by BTS..he went back to his room...me to my hotel..both freshened up and out together for a great night of him showing me the local places with live bands...karaoke for a short time and stayed overnight with me....unfortunately i had arrangements carved in stone for outside Bkk the next night or i would have had him stay for sure.

I personally recommend Bonnys due to MY experiences there...i'm sure others will have contrary views...but if you can have good interaction with the masseur the actual massage premises doesn't really count for much in the end as long as it is clean and has a nice mood as Bonny has. i always tip bt1000 to the massuer if happy ending has occurred...and always accepted with wai and big smile here.

However much i try i can never seem to write a SHORT precise post.........apologies!

adman5000
July 9th, 2009, 18:41
your post was very helpful. thank you.

TrongpaiExpat
July 9th, 2009, 19:00
Nice post Allan. If your staying in Saphan Kwai have you been to "Kitung Karaoke" on Pradiphat 21? The sign is only in Thai: р╕Др╕┤р╕Фр╕Цр╕╢р╕З It's on your right and not far from the main road Pradphat, opposite a 7-11, as is everything. It's a local gay bar/restaurant/karaoke place. Good food, don't expect much English but your more than welcome here. If you can't find it just ask the boys hanging out on the soi where is kit-Toong or kit-Tung, sorry I am guessing at the transliteration. I especially like this place as they don't allow smoking inside.

Alaan
July 9th, 2009, 20:40
Thanks for the info TrongpaiExpat...i am always looking for recent info on Saphan Kwai but it is thin on the ground. And i like to try new places.

I sometimes stay in Spahan Kwai just for a change of scene and approach to the industry compared to Silom/suriwong.

I always have a nice pleasant enjoyable experience in Saphan Kwai bars/Karaokes... sometimes i'm not that bothered about the guy matching up to my looks/body type preference...sometimes if the mood is right and we get on i'm just as happy to enjoy the night out as i am the overnight experience.

I visit for holidays only...so i normally squeeze as much out of my 3 weeks+ in Thailand as i can... but over the years i have settled into a more laid back just wait and see what happens approach without rigid expectations...and find myself enjoying that approach more and more... so Saphan Kwai fits well.

I will visit Saphan Kwai on my next trip in September and i'll drop in by Kitung Karoake and give it a try. Thanks for the Thai script for the sign. Although i can speak only very basic words of thai...i find if you make an effort in Thai the guys in Saphan Kwai try hard to communicate...and look past my bad pronounciation etc... I too am a non-smoker and although it doesn't bother me too much having smokers around...it is more comfortable when there isn't a smoke line directly in your face.

I'll let you know what i think of it. Any other newish places in Saphan Kwai? One place i have never visited is Talent as i can't be bothered walking so far for only one bar when all the rest are quite close and easy walk from the Karnmanee. Any experiences at Talent?