PDA

View Full Version : Skiing!!

July 8th, 2009, 14:46
After 2 failed applications for a visa to the UK for my boyfriend, we are looking to do a tour of europe next year, including 1 week skiing (he wants to see snow!!!)..as a UK national any ideas/advice on how to start the planning?. I live in Thailand, have no property in Europe. Will go and talk to some of the visa agencies if anyone can advise a good agency.

July 9th, 2009, 14:25
Sorry I can not advise you on which Visa Agency to use, but take a warning and stay away from Key Visa in Jomtien and I think North Pattaya. The efforts they produce would make a 10yo child look like a genius. I used them before without success, paid a fortune and having looked at the file they produced was not to say the least impressed. The visa applied for was refused and I had to return to Thailand in the middle of the year and start the process off myself. Our own application was accepted and my bf obtained his visa without a problem. Other friends of mine have since had the same problems with this Agency.

I am not sure how you will proceed having no property in the UK but having just renewed my partners 2 year visa here, I can tell you they get more and more demanding each time and require a mountain of paperwork before approval.
Good luck though

July 9th, 2009, 22:42
After 2 failed applications for a visa to the UK for my boyfriend, we are looking to do a tour of europe next year, including 1 week skiing (he wants to see snow!!!)..as a UK national any ideas/advice on how to start the planning?. I live in Thailand, have no property in Europe. Will go and talk to some of the visa agencies if anyone can advise a good agency.

First try to find out why he was refused a UK visa, then you will have a better idea what you/he needs to rectify. It is not so much what you have there, as what he has here!

If trying a visa agent, then I would suggest trying one of the many whom you only pay when/if the application is successful. I have never used one myself, so cannot give a personal recommendation.

lo-so
July 10th, 2009, 01:05
GF is I think quite right in his opinion - the British Embassy will for tourist purposes be much more interested in his situation and ultimately their need to be assured of at least two things. Firstly that he has sufficient funds for his trip (and therefore not likely to prove an imposition on State finances/resources - case study - Nigeria) and secondly that the individual will return back to their home country at the end of their visa permitted stay; whilst a guarantee note may be provided this really in no way guarantees any greater chance of acceptance unless all the other matters are also satisfactory for their processes.

Intriguingly It is however remarkably easy for Thai's to bring over domestic staff ( UK refered to as Domestic Worker - US referred to as a Domestic Servant!) and indeed the actual number that will be allowed to travel with them is beyond what one might normally consider as appropriate to the task. Minimum wage legislation at least for the UK is set aside but demands that they have appropriate living quarters is more explicitly stated and that they must (normally) travel with their employer with a maximum single length stay of 6 months.

So marry a very hi-so Thai woman and then get your boy to travel over with you for employment as a pool boy or whatever. - Just one more option

July 10th, 2009, 19:09
Intriguingly It is however remarkably easy for Thai's to bring over domestic staff ( UK refered to as Domestic Worker - US referred to as a Domestic Servant!) and indeed the actual number that will be allowed to travel with them is beyond what one might normally consider as appropriate to the task. Minimum wage legislation at least for the UK is set aside but demands that they have appropriate living quarters is more explicitly stated and that they must (normally) travel with their employer with a maximum single length stay of 6 months.

So marry a very hi-so Thai woman and then get your boy to travel over with you for employment as a pool boy or whatever. - Just one more option

Back in the '60s I did know a group of people who tried to get a Japanese boyfriend landed as the butler of a friend. It was laughed out of Croydon. I have been in meetings with Immigration staff concerning domestic staff as accompanying passengers. It is my understanding that the criterion applied is, was the person being presented fulfilling the same role before the traveling commenced. A few questions as to duties will quickly reveal whether the case is genuine.

Personally, I think it is a cause for concern that the minimum wage legislation is ignored in such instances as the accompanying passengers from some countries are sometime little more than slaves.

As to going skiing, Club Med might be a good option as one assumes your skiing level is not absolute beginner and they will provide sound tuition, though they tried to kill me in Tignes a few years ago. The instructor of my (compulsory to be paid for) class, also over 60, didn't seem to think it relevant that he was on the slopes all season, which might explain his being a tad more fit than myself. Having booked a complete package with known return dates might look better to Immigration staff in Bangkok.

lo-so
July 10th, 2009, 21:47
555 - Your comment that the duties to be performed have to be in line with domestic duties undertaken in the home country is I think quite right. It acts as a signal to immigration officers about the potential legitimacy or otherwise of the application.

WRT wages, stating a higher figure thinking that this will improve the chance of being granted a domestic worker's visa is likely to backfire as Embassy staff are up to speed with prevailing wages and will think that paying a "driver" 50k Baht a month to be rather implausible!