PDA

View Full Version : Reading Thai

x in pattaya
July 7th, 2009, 19:47
If you want to learn to speak Thai as a Thai would, then the best tutor is a native speaker of Thai, although not everyone who speaks Thai (or English or German) necessarily knows how to systematically approach learning his language.

I've managed to pick up a fair amount of beginner level spoken Thai from a Thai teacher, but arrived at a point where I reached over-load and needed to take a break ... and my Thai teacher was spending more of our time together gossiping than teaching anyway.

He didn't want to teach reading/writing only spoken Thai. I've tried memorizing the Thai consonants and have had some success in sounding out words on my own, but I was forever getting similar looking letters confused and getting totally flummoxed by different Thai scripts. Besides, just memorizing all those letters and their different sounds depending on their position and the vowels floating around was BORING.

Many people have said that itтАЩs best to learn Thai using the Thai alphabet rather than English transliterations of Thai words. So I was hitting a wall.

A couple of days ago I got an email reminding me of a Thai reading program that I had once taken a cursory look at on line, so I downloaded the free trial once again. There were several hurdles to overcome:
1) ItтАЩs called тАЬRead Thai in a Day.тАЭ Obviously an absurd premise тАж I thought.
2) Rather than classifying consonants as being High, Middle or Low, in this program the classes are boys, girls or ladyboys, with characteristics assigned to each тАж and the characteristics assigned to ladyboys are somewhat offensive.
3) Each letter is presented in a cutesy cartoon fashion that you need to visualize as a reminder of its sound.

Despite considering all of the above to be negatives I did look through the trial part of the book. I still was not very convinced, but to unlock the rest of the book I could get a PIN for B 1900. Being the proud owner of Pimsleur, Rosetta Stone and a raft of Benjawan Poomsan BeckerтАЩs stuff, that was a drop in the bucket. So I transferred B1875 to the authorтАЩs bank account (he told me to deduct the B 25 ATM charge).

It works! I would guess itтАЩs better for visual learners rather than for people who learn best by hearing things, but then itтАЩs about the written form of the language, so visual is pretty necessary.

It teaches you to sound-out тАЬwords.тАЭ YouтАЩre not learning the names of the letters and youтАЩre not really learning much Thai vocabulary to begin with since the Thai words are pretty basic stuff you probably know anyway and a lot of the words are English words that most urban Thais use тАж along with their unique Thai pronunciation. You are learning to look at Thai script and turn what you see into sounds and simple words.

It is a surprisingly consistent language in its written form. I did in fact start reading words in Thai script very quickly and I still have a way to go before IтАЩm through the first run through. You can get through a first reading in half a day, which they recommend, or you can break it into smaller amounts.

Aside from the learning practice that they give you as you move through the book, they advise you to start looking at all the signs you see as you move about Thailand and to sound those out. If youтАЩre not in Thailand you can go to their website to practice on photos of Thai signs that they provide.

Anyway, if you really would like to start fathoming all the Thai script you see all about you, this might work for you too. Of course, what works for some people will be a total waste of time for others.

I have no interest financial or otherwise in this so I donтАЩt really care whether or not you try it. IтАЩm sure many will find it useless, but I would suggest you give the free trial a look and keep an open mind.

IтАЩm guessing that once I can sound out a lot of what I see that I can better acquire a larger vocabulary and that in turn will make me more efficient at reading тАж I hope.

READING THAI WEBSITE (http://www.learnthaionline.com/index.html)

pong
July 7th, 2009, 20:05
good you give it a try, mr. X. I've seen this site positively reviewed in several other travel-sites. A forum linked on thailandqa.com can answer many questions about this and other probelsm with learning this language.
One thing to realise with the written Thai is that, other as in the Eurpean languages, the letter-order is not always the same as spoken. (the word ''THAI'' for the airline is spelled like AI-TH-J). and half of the letters are hardly used-only in honorific etc language you dont use in everyday life.
Please, do keep us informed and amused by your brilliant told episodes of Thai encounters- brings a laugh in the day when I am not in that muang Thai. khrap.

July 7th, 2009, 21:15
(the word ''THAI'' for the airline is spelled like AI-TH-J).

Back to school for you.

р╣Др╕Чр╕в

AI-TH-Y

TrongpaiExpat
July 7th, 2009, 21:29
Take a look at UTL School (http://www.utl-school.com/english/home.php) those who make it to level 4 seem to be both conversant and literate. It's in Bangkok but with 4 week modules and weekend off you can do weekends in Pattaya and the weekdays in Bangkok. There are many Pattaya residents that do just that after having failed on finding any schools in Pattaya that have results.

Bob
July 7th, 2009, 21:50
getting totally flummoxed by different Thai scripts

Fully understand what you mean there and this remains the most difficult part for me in
reading Thai (usually in the public context of signs, newspaper ads, etc.). I may not know what a given word means but it's frustrating that I can't even take a stab at pronouncing the word because a given letter or two are in a script I simply don't recognize).

Thanks for the url....I may have to give this a try.

catawampuscat
July 8th, 2009, 20:53
Trongpai is correct and I can speak from my own experience, having
completed the 4th month of intensive Thai at UTL in BKK..
You start with written Thai in the 3rd month and finish covering the basics
with the 4th month..
It has been a few years since I went but I recall it was very reasonable (around 5,000B.) for each
4 week session and one could go Mon to Fri mornings for 4 hours/day or afternoons for 3 hours/day.

The Thai word for "Thai" is irregular and is an exception to the usual grammar/spelling and pronounciation
rules of the language..
perhaps painai or neddy3 might want to add their 2 baht as both are far more accomplished
in reading and writing Thai than this humble farang. :cat:

Khor tose
July 9th, 2009, 09:01
It works! I would guess itтАЩs better for visual learners rather than for people who learn best by hearing things, but then itтАЩs about the written form of the language, so visual is pretty necessary.

X in Pattaya and TrongpaiExpat.
I am soon moving permanetely to Thailand (54 days) and I intend to learn Thai. Thank you for these excellant sites. You have saved me hours of research and probably a considerable amount of money. Drinks are on me should we ever meet. Thanks again.

x in pattaya
July 11th, 2009, 09:59
[quote="x in pattaya":exnoymgw]I am soon moving permanetely to Thailand (54 days) and I intend to learn Thai. [/quote:exnoymgw]

Ah, that brings back wonderful memories of having numerous calendars at home and work that I would dutifully mark each day as the time for my big moved neared. I had owned my condo for many years before then, so it was a bit like finally moving to my true home.

Of course, after a few years the thrill wears off and it's just another daily grind ... when will it ever end?

Just kidding. :geek:

I still love every minute here and am still amazed at how lucky I am to wake up each morning in Thailand. The fact that arguably (by me anyway ... I might be a teensy bit prejudiced) the sexiest, nicest, sweetest person on earth shares his life with me (and occasionaly a few other sexy, nice, sweet people spend slightly less time with me) beggars the imagination.

Life Is A Beach for sure... mak mak.

PS. As the following messages illustrate very well. Go VERY SLOWLY in making farang acquaintances here. You're better off making a few Thai friends and avoiding farangs. There are undoubtedly some nice farangs around, but quite a few of them are deranged psychopathic parasites who will suck the enjoyment out of your life in LOS. They're fun to prod & poke on websites like this allowing you to watch their impotent rages at a distance, but in person they are worse than H1N1.

July 11th, 2009, 10:18
Can't wait for your arrival. By the way how does "the sexiest, nicest, sweetest person on earth" earn a living???

July 11th, 2009, 10:24
Can't wait for your arrival. By the way how does "the sexiest, nicest, sweetest person on earth" earn a living???

Being sexy, nice, and sweet probably is his job. LOL.

July 11th, 2009, 10:30

I once knew a boy like that but he worked in a GoGo Bar.. I wonder if it's the same guy??

x in pattaya
July 11th, 2009, 10:45

Definitely it is. And he does it so well.

Your cynicism is wasted on me. We both know very well what we're getting out of the relationship and what we're putting into it and are loving every minute of it. In fact, knowing how much it bothers you makes it all the more enjoyable.

x in pattaya
July 11th, 2009, 10:47

I once knew a boy like that but he worked in a GoGo Bar.. I wonder if it's the same guy??

If he's the one who told you, "Not even for a million baht," it could be.

As I told Bugs Bunny, knowing that it aggravates you so much makes it all the sweeter. It must really drive you up the wall knowing someone is really, really happy and you're consumed by all that anger & hate. Feel free to keep throwing those tantrums. If you can't have sex they'll still help release some of the stress. :tongue:

July 11th, 2009, 11:01
[/quote]

If he's the one who told you, "Not even for a million baht," it could be.[/quote]

Enjoy your new life with your BOYFRIEND (sic)

x in pattaya
July 11th, 2009, 11:11

Wow, you must really be foaming at the mouth. The whole procedure for using quotes has defeated you.

I'm not the one starting a new life here and my friend has been with me for years.

I can almost picture you squealing, bouncing on your big-boy chair, drool cascading all over the keyboard as you fashion another scathing :flower: comment.

Seriously, don't stop. There's nothing on TV right now and you're very entertaining.

July 11th, 2009, 11:20

Wow, you must really be foaming at the mouth. The whole procedure for using quotes has defeated you.

I'm not the one starting a new life here and my friend has been with me for years.

I can almost picture you squealing, bouncing on your big-boy chair, drool cascading all over the keyboard as you fashion another scathing :flower: comment.

Seriously, don't stop. There's nothing on TV right now and you're very entertaining.

Dream on love I know a hooker when I've had 1... Wake up and smell your bullshit

x in pattaya
July 11th, 2009, 11:41
Dream on love I know a hooker when I've had 1... Wake up and smell your bullshit

I would never question your expertise when it comes to hookers, though I imagine it's largely theoretical. If you were getting any, even if you had to pay for it, you wouldn't be quite so bitter.

I know the nuns at the orphanage used tell you what you were doing was evil and they would rap your knuckles whenever they found you 'pleasuring yourself," but you really should play with Mr. pee-pee a bit more often. At least it's sex with someone (probably the only one) who loves you and all this bitterness will ebb away.

I was in Bangkok for a few days and did indeed enjoy spending a little time with some boys who were paid for their very considerable talents. Even came back home and called up some local talent who came by to provide some in-house entertainment. If you'd like I could tell you what we did and you can read that while you lube up Mr. pee-pee.

This device might be of some help:

The Vacuum Erection Device (VED)

http://www.phoenix5.org/sexaids/graphics/VEDS/pump.jpg

or in your case, the Tom Thumb model:
http://www.phoenix5.org/sexaids/graphics/VEDS/strepro1.jpg

But in a couple of days my friend will be back and I'll have to put up with having the SEXIEST, SWEETEST, NICEST person in the world with me 24/7. Doesn't all that sugary talk just get your trailer swaying as you careen off the padded walls and poop in your Depends out of SHEER UNMITIGATED ANGER THAT SOMEONE IS SO HAPPY and you're just another name on your parole officer's visitation list? UUUUMMMM?

x in pattaya
July 11th, 2009, 12:55
But in a couple of days my friend will be back and I'll have to put up with having the SEXIEST, SWEETEST, NICEST person in the world with me 24/7. Doesn't all that sugary talk just get your trailer swaying as you careen off the padded walls and poop in your Depends out of SHEER UNMITIGATED ANGER THAT SOMEONE IS SO HAPPY and you're just another name on your parole officer's visitation list? UUUUMMMM?

Sad really. I used to quite enjoy winding up Hedda. She could mount quite a decent geriatric menopausal tirade that kept up for quite awhile before her hormone pump self-activated.

Obviously Bitch Bunny and Wanky-in-Oz can't even summon up a good demonstration of the crankiness that results from sexual frustration and inadequacy. You're not half the symbol of sexual dysfunction that Hedda was!

x in pattaya
July 11th, 2009, 14:41

It's just dawned on me that in your meds addled brain you think I'm just arriving in Thailand.

You seem to be getting us confused. I live in Thailand and have done for quite awhile. My friend has been my friend for years. I'm not arriving in Thailand. I'm here. You must think everyone is a tourist like you.

My friend does have a business and yes I financed it, but it is self sustaining now. Fortunately it's not located in a place where sex tourists flock, so you'll never have a chance to see it . When he's not with me he stays with his family. When he's not tending to the business he's working on completing the expansion of the house they live in. Sorry, he's not in the sex trade. No I'm not deluding myself. He wouldn't have the time and he doesn't need the money.

There's an article here you might consider reading:

SEX AND DEMENTIA (http://alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/514)

Sex and dementia
Dementia causes many changes in people's lives as time passes. One area in which there are often changes, but which is seldom discussed, is that of intimate relationships. This factsheet explains how dementia can affect the sexual feelings, desires and needs of people with dementia and their partners. It outlines some of the many ways in which sexual behaviour can change and suggests some ways for those with partners to adapt so that relationships remain loving and close.

However much we hear about sex in the media, the reality is that it is not important for everyone. However, everyone is a sexual being, regardless of their age, ability or sexual preference, and has the right to express their sexuality without fear of disapproval. This is no less the case for people with dementia.

July 11th, 2009, 18:27
Reading Thai isn't so difficult if you only memorize one character per day you will read it all in less than 3 months. Writing it is very much different though because of forgetting tone marks and the irregular spellings. I found 'Thai for beginners' by Benjawan Poomsan Becker to be very useful. I also usee flash cards and made a simple game that I played with my Thai friends to learn. The game was basically to guess the consonant classes. pronounce the Thai word and say whether it is high middle or low class. Turn the flash card over and f you are wrong you must take a drink. More often than not the Thai guys had no clue what class it was. If you can somehow make it interesting and fun to learn then it isn't that difficult.

I sometimes find the fonts they use for signs to be a bit hard to read as it can be hard to see if the little circle is on the inside or outside of a few characters. However most time looking at the rest of the word it makes it obvious what character it should be.

painai2
July 11th, 2009, 19:20
Learning Thai is very difficult, but well worth the effort. One of the obvious pluses is being able to actually talk with your Thai friends beyond the "where you from and how long you stay". What amazes me is how few Farangs living in Pattaya try to learn to speak Thai. I've traveled all over Latin America, almost all tourists will speak some Spanish. Mention learning Thai--reading or speaking, --too hard is the answer. Hard? of course. Worth it? Yes. I sure am glad for the time I've put into studying the language. You learn the culture along with actually communicating with Thais.

July 11th, 2009, 22:34
Reading Thai isn't so difficult if you only memorize one character per day you will read it all in less than 3 months. Writing it is very much different though because of forgetting tone marks and the irregular spellings. I found 'Thai for beginners' by Benjawan Poomsan Becker to be very useful. I also usee flash cards and made a simple game that I played with my Thai friends to learn. The game was basically to guess the consonant classes. pronounce the Thai word and say whether it is high middle or low class. Turn the flash card over and f you are wrong you must take a drink. More often than not the Thai guys had no clue what class it was. If you can somehow make it interesting and fun to learn then it isn't that difficult.

I sometimes find the fonts they use for signs to be a bit hard to read as it can be hard to see if the little circle is on the inside or outside of a few characters. However most time looking at the rest of the word it makes it obvious what character it should be.

3 months sounds quite impressive. I think i will try again.

July 12th, 2009, 01:01
Reading Thai isn't so difficult if you only memorize one character per day you will read it all in less than 3 months.

you make it sound so easy, but unfortunately there is a lot more to reading Thai than just memorising the sound of each character - that part is actually quite easy. wait till you get into the tone rules and the ones regarding consonant clusters.
but its not beyond anybody's ability if they want to learn (well, maybe there are a few exceptions....), just don't expect it to be quick and easy.

July 12th, 2009, 14:06
i agree about the tones etc. Although when I read signs when in Thailand I rarely worry about what tone it is. There are some irregular readings as well that hinder people. I still think if one is in Thailand and putting in the effort 3 months isn't out of the question to learn pretty well. It isn't as time intensive as learning Japanese or Chinese for example it is just a phonetical alphabet. It certainly does help to learn to speak Thai if you can read it.

x in pattaya
July 12th, 2009, 20:31
Tone Rules.
This video was noted on Thai Visa, I haven't had the time to look at it yet.

[youtube:3g7gfq94]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nlw4NJdnNE[/youtube:3g7gfq94]

Smiles
July 12th, 2009, 22:27
Thanks X . . . that YouTube video is so intimidating, so complicated, so eyeball rolling, so making-me-crazy that I'm obviously going to end up with my guy strapped to my waist and leg with a paper bag on his head on which is printed in (in day-glo lavender chalk): "He's with me, any questions, just ask. Forget HIM".

Anyone else feel like a Great Big Dummy? Anyone tempted to go for it? Anyone just feeling 'challenged'?

painai2
July 12th, 2009, 22:38
I found the video to be very basic but a good start for getting acquainted with the Thai alphabet.

x in pattaya
July 13th, 2009, 15:53
Thanks X . . . that YouTube video is so intimidating, so complicated, so eyeball rolling, so making-me-crazy that I'm obviously going to end up with my guy strapped to my waist and leg with a paper bag on his head on which is printed in (in day-glo lavender chalk): "He's with me, any questions, just ask. Forget HIM".

Anyone else feel like a Great Big Dummy? Anyone tempted to go for it? Anyone just feeling 'challenged'?

Well, after looking at it just now, or at least the start of it, I can see why someone first approaching the language should not look at it... and also why teaching is an art that eludes most teachers.

Go with the original ebook I posted at the start of the thread and don't get overly bogged down with tonals. If you get started with the Thai alphabet and Thai spelling as you build your vocabulary, tone will be more easily acquired and, in any event, tone is not so vitally important in the sorts of situations that most of us will start out with when trying to speak. Most Thais are very patient and sufficiently intelligent to take what you are trying to say in its context and will understand what you mean.

In your case, I wouldn't recommend mounting a defence in Thai when the BIB haul you in once again for being drunk & disorderly though. Just have Suphot tell them you're senile & heavily medicated.

painai2
July 13th, 2009, 18:35
I have found tones to be very important. If you don't pronounce a word with the right Tones, most Thais don't know what you are trying to say. You've think you've said the word correctly, but you are not understood.

x in pattaya
July 13th, 2009, 18:48
I have found tones to be very important. If you don't pronounce a word with the right Tones, most Thais don't know what you are trying to say. You've think you've said the word correctly, but you are not understood.

I find generally that someone either understands virtually everything I try to say or virtually nothing. While the fault undoubtedly lies in my pronunciation, Thais who have grown up in urban areas and/or are better educated seem to manage better (and I include many guys who work in bars, etc).

I have been with native Thai speakers in restaurants or other places where the waiter/server misunderstands a Thai placing an order. Regional accents make a difference in Thailand as they do anywhere, so to assume you can learn how to pronounce Thai so that you will be understood everywhere is misleading if Thais themselves have problems with Thai accents.

Speaking of misunderstandings, I was with my friend in a restaurant recently and he ordered what he wanted and I ordered what I wanted in Thai without any problem. Then the waitress looks at me and asks: "Sabai sii?"

That threw me. After a couple of "whats?," my friend told her that I liked phet-phet.

When she left, I looked at him and said what is "sabai sii?"

He said, "She asked if you like spicy," or sa-pi-cy, as it came out.

So accents are always going to be a problem, but don't allow that to overwhelm you or stop you from trying to learn the language.

July 13th, 2009, 19:14
being able to determine the correct tone from reading a word is one thing, being able to pronounce that tone correctly is another matter. in the reverse direction, being able to recognise the tone when somebody speaks to you is also challenging. sometimes the context will make the tone not so important.
getting the pronunciation the sounds right will also help you to be understood, such as getting the length of the vowel right. also, some of the sounds in Thai are not the same as in english, and often there are a couple of sounds in Thai that sound similar to one english sound.
interestingly, very few Thais will remember all those tone rules, unless they are a language teacher. thats not how people read - they know how a word is written and they know how to say it correctly, having to go through the rules for each word is too slow and difficult.

July 13th, 2009, 22:34
Why bother learning to read now that Google translations now offers 100% fool-proof, 100% accurate translations from English into Thai and vice-versa. Just ask LMTU...

Hair love older brother very very...

Brad the Impala
July 13th, 2009, 22:45

Very funny, and true to experience.

Bob
July 14th, 2009, 00:33
[quote="x in pattaya":33wndjfq]

Very funny, and true to experience.[/quote:33wndjfq]

For the older and more retarded of us (myself included) who are trying to learn to speak and read Thai a little better, I'm "listening in Thai" when I too am flummoxed by an English word the Thai speaker throws in. It takes a moment or more to realize that "funny" word or phrase isn't Thai at all but the Thai version of your own native language. The same occurs in reading and I've found myself going to the various Thai dictionaries I have trying to find that one damn word I can't figure out when all of a sudden I realize it's just an English word spelled in Thai. Frustrating but usually a bit humorous.

quiet1
July 14th, 2009, 13:50
If it's any consolation, it's not just in Thai. In Japanese, McDonalds is "ma-ku-do-na-ru-do" and when it's spoken rapdily by a Japanese person bears little resemblance to the English pronunciation.