PDA

View Full Version : July 7th, 8th dry days in Thailand.

July 6th, 2009, 22:26
From the words of a friend that owns a Walking Street Bar, because of the Buddhist holiday, the 7th will be an alcohol free day. So stock up at the 7-11 or supermarkets tonight guys. The 8th, potentially the same as well, have not heard from my friend as far as closures on that day for sure.

The 7th, expect most places to have no music or very quiet music, and no obvious liquor sales. Just a heads up for anyone planning anything. Many venues will just be closed for the day, so get your haunts sorted out to see if you have a place to hang during the start of the Buddhist Lent.

Cheers.

July 7th, 2009, 10:32
Maybe it is somewhere, but I am missing it. But I think it would be very useful for those of us who visit Thailand, as opposed to living in Thailand, to know far in advance which are the dry days, more importantly, which are the days the the entertainment places are not just dry, but closed altogether.

Some of us plan our trips months in advance, so early warning by business owners or those living in Thailand who are in the know would certainly help.

Perhaps a board like this can have a permanent sticky thread that lists dry days, closed days, etc and not be cluttered by small talk?

July 7th, 2009, 12:04
It is not predictable with any certainty. Rules vary year to year, city to city, and area to area. If one dry night would ruin your vacation, I suggest you try Ibiza or somewhere else.

July 7th, 2009, 12:26
For a rule of thumb, try this when planning your trips. Go online, and pull up a Thai Buddhist and national holiday calender. Things like Royal birthdays, memorials, and most major Buddhist holidays, are going to be dry days.

My first time over to Thailand, they had a 2 day dry period, and I was only here for 8 1/2 days, so that would've helped me a lot to know.

Certain occasions, such as political events, or other things like that, are very short notice, there is no way to tell. Most bars don't receive word about closures until the day of, or the night before. Nobody wants to say, we might be closed tonight, and find out later they can stay open. Its hurts the guys with the businesses here as much as it does everyone coming over here. So everyone tries to give a heads up, and make alternative plans.

Might be a good time to plan some sightseeing if you haven't gotten around to it yet, or take a few day vacation when it comes up to the marks on the calender.

July 7th, 2009, 15:47
sometimes they just decide the day of. forget trying to understand or predict.