PDA

View Full Version : Homophobia in Jomtien

thaiguest
July 5th, 2009, 10:19
The homophobic owner of the Cafe Ritz (Jomtien) is tolerating gay diners and their Thai partners during the present squeze or so I'm told.
This crusty old fellah opened the cafe last year serving very good roast lamb with all the trimmings and other wholesome fare. He also served up copious dollops of verbal abuse to any and every gay diner who came into the place. Loud remarks to his straight clients such as "I put spotted dick on the menu especially for the faggots of Jomtien" and " I thought the queers already had enough places to hang around in without coming in here" were dished up regularly.
A friend of mine who went a farang companion and two boys were ignored for almost an hour until the penny dropped that they were not going to be served.
By all accounts his (Thai) wife is a very nice lady and ironically two of his waiters are said to have a 'gay' way about them but gay diners should know that it's only a matter of time ( or until the 'real' diners come back again) when the old geezer starts having his fun again.

There are also reports of a mysterious homophobic gentleman going around on a motorbike making fun of the customers sitting outside gay bars. He is said to have visited Jomtien on a number of occasions but was challenged by Monty last week when he began to verbally abuse his customers. I'm told that the yellow belly abandoned his vehicle and ran from the soi leaving a slutty- looking female companion to take the bike home.

Strange times.

pyro
July 5th, 2009, 10:55
When I was in Jomtien I ate at Cafe Ritz a couple of times with my guest and was treated very well. While there the owners of the Venue came in and they had a very friendly conversation with the Ritz owner. They obviously knew each other and got on very well the whole time I was in there. Also, at least one of the waiters is most definitely gay. I can not say what took lace before, but he seems not only to be tolerating gay clients, but is quite welcoming from my experience. The food, by the way, is fantastic.

zinzone
July 5th, 2009, 11:20
Well done to thaiguest for informing us about Cafe Ritz, and so those of us who are thinking of going there, may want to re-consider doing that, assuming what you say is correct.
May I ask you thaiguest have your related your experiences directly to the establishment concerned?
Be interesting to know what their response is, if any.
I say this as pyro gives a different view about Cafe Ritz.
Maybe should give the restaurant concerned an opportunity to answer your complaints.

By the sound of it though no reason to doubt that your experiences are an accurate account of what happened to you.

Be useful if other posters here could recount similar experiences in this or other establishments in Jomtien and Pattaya so we know where to avoid.

RichLB
July 5th, 2009, 12:02
While I don't doubt your experience, it is far different from mine. I and several friends eat there frequently. The owner, although sometimes gruff, has always been friendly and stops by our table to chat and gossip. There has never been a hint of any homophobia. In fact, the restaurant is usually so filled with gay diners I had always assumed it was a gay establishment. The food is excellent, the waiters attentive, and the ambiance is accomodating. I try not to make recommendations of eateries as everyone's tastes are different, but your citicism is so far afiend from mine, I encourage others to give Cafe Ritz a try and make their own judgement..

July 5th, 2009, 12:16
I have eaten there twice and the owner was extremely friendly. I will be going back.

PeterUK
July 5th, 2009, 12:29
I ate there only once. It was a busy evening and we waited a long time for our food to arrive. A friend I was with complained when a newcomer was served while we were still waiting... That did it, the owner lost his rag and didn't let up with the snidey comments all evening. He was like Basil Fawlty in unreconstructed old age. We should really have walked out. It never occurred to me to put his behaviour down to anti-gay prejudice, though we were there with two Thai young men; it was the early days of the restaurant, it was busy, and I just assumed he was a bit overwhelmed by the situation. My meal was so-so and I vowed I wouldn't return. My friend has done so and likes the food a lot.

July 6th, 2009, 05:18
I have eaten at Cafe Ritz several times with gay friends since the place opened late last year and have always been treated with respect. I recognised many of the other customers when I have dined there were also gay.
The menu is 'British Standard' and is very well cooked; portions are generous and the service is efficient. The cost of the meal is also exceptionally good value.
I have heard that the owner/chef is an ex-Royal Navy chef but have never confirmed it with him during our brief chats in the restaurant. He has always been courteous and helpful. I suspect that he could be a little abrupt with people who do not show good manners or with those that make piffling, silly complaints. I also suspect that he does not take kindly to overtly gay behaviour, loud camp conversations and old men in make up with young boys. Remember that he is running a straight restaurant .. not a gogo bar. Also remember that it's not the Royal Cliff or Casa Pascal's and you should not expect the same standards.
The restaurant does not advertise itself as a gay venue but has a large following of gay customers who go back time and again mainly because it is good food, great value, clean and well run.
Highly Recommended

Here is a bad scan of the restaurant's card that I have amended with a couple of local landmarks.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx169/mrwhite_2009/Ritz05.jpg

dorayme
July 6th, 2009, 07:28
I have eaten at the Cafe Ritz with a group of men and found John the owner and cook to be very friendly and helpful. I've never had a problem at this restaurant.

I think the Aquarius Restaurant next to Monty's is a much better value. The food is very very good, the service first rate and the dining room pleasant. The Aquarius deserves to be packed every night. There is a set menu every night except on Monday when the restaurant is dark.

Patexpat
July 6th, 2009, 09:58
I too have eaten at Ritz many times and have never experienced any homophobic comments - I did experience poor service once but then we noticed so were other tables.

The food is as stated 'English Standard' and he does an excellent jam roly-poly, and whilst not fine dining the quality is excellent.

Maybe I simply haven't been around when the owner has had a rant (I do hear he is a 'character') but if we are going to accuse him of homophobia I would like something more substantial than hearsay, for if there is a glimmer of truth in it then I am sure myself and many others would not set foot inside again!

July 6th, 2009, 14:03
I too have eaten at Mr. Ritz several times. The food has been very good. I personally really enjoy the Fish and Chips as does my Thai friend. It is true that when very crowded (every night) it can start to look like the Keystone Cops are serving, but for me it is part of the charm.

I like the owner. He is gruff, but friendly. Even though I have never heard him say anything I would consider homophobic, I could see him saying that he put spotted dick on the menu for the gay customers, but as a joke not a put down. He talks to both me and my Thai friend every time we go there. One time I ask for some green peas. I said no problem I will eat some of them, meaning my Thai friend's vegetables. He turned and even though the restaurant was crowded went to the kitchen and brought me a serving of vegetables. When he severed them he said to me in a proper British tone, "We say those, not them." Winked and walked away.

As I said, I like the guy and feel the food is very good and well priced.

July 6th, 2009, 14:19
The original post is starting to sound like a typical FOQ hissy fit.

July 6th, 2009, 16:29
The owner was in the Royal Navy and he's homphobic? How on earth did he survive?

July 6th, 2009, 22:03
I still think its a bit weird that any business owner in Jomtien, or Pattaya for that matter would have any problems with any sexual orientation or inclination in a climate like we have here.

Am I one of the only straight business owner that realizes that money is green, no matter where it comes from? Business is business here. If your gay, you shouldn't have to be tolerated in an establishment, you should be welcomed, same as any other customer.

As for the guy on the bike, once he runs into a serious gay badass on a bad day, his rides of slander will never happen again. Same can be said if he runs into a straight badass whose business he is effecting. Thailand is not the place to start shit with people, in my experiences here, people have good memories and short tempers.

July 6th, 2009, 23:19
The owner was in the Royal Navy and he's homphobic? How on earth did he survive?

I am reminded of a quote from Sir Winston Churchill, "The Royal Navy has but three traditions rum, sodomy and the lash." And I, too, have eaten at the Ritz many times and never experienced any homophobia.

francois
July 7th, 2009, 00:20
The homophobic owner of the Cafe Ritz (Jomtien) is tolerating gay diners and their Thai partners during the present squeze or so I'm told.
Strange times.

So I'm told?? In other words, hearsay/rumor? Not nice.

bing
July 7th, 2009, 01:45
I have eaten there several times with a Thai guy in tow. The owner chef does not like gays, it is a known fact. Usually his patrons are male and he knows the score. He will come and ask how your meal is most times. The complaint I have is that his apron usually has the days food smeared all over it. He does not like gays, that is not a rumor, it is fact. He does serve up a huge portion of veggies with his entres and his apple and blueberry crumble are still warm in my mind. I will return and enjoy his abover average cooking skills.

July 7th, 2009, 04:33
... The owner chef does not like gays, it is a known fact .... He does not like gays, that is not a rumor, it is fact.

Well not to me Bing and not to the majority of posters here.
Maybe it's because you are the type of gay man that gives the rest of us a bad name?

July 7th, 2009, 07:45
[quote="Talay_Ho":39d5gio4]The owner was in the Royal Navy and he's homphobic? How on earth did he survive?

I am reminded of a quote from Sir Winston Churchill, "The Royal Navy has but three traditions rum, sodomy and the lash." And I, too, have eaten at the Ritz many times and never experienced any homophobia.[/quote:39d5gio4]

My Navy friend often told me that was Rum, Bum and Baccy which I assume was tobacco.

thaiguest
July 7th, 2009, 10:32
I have eaten at Cafe Ritz several times with gay friends since the place opened late last year and have always been treated with respect. I recognised many of the other customers when I have dined there were also gay.
The menu is 'British Standard' and is very well cooked; portions are generous and the service is efficient. The cost of the meal is also exceptionally good value.
I have heard that the owner/chef is an ex-Royal Navy chef but have never confirmed it with him during our brief chats in the restaurant. He has always been courteous and helpful. I suspect that he could be a little abrupt with people who do not show good manners or with those that make piffling, silly complaints. I also suspect that he does not take kindly to overtly gay behaviour, loud camp conversations and old men in make up with young boys. Remember that he is running a straight restaurant .. not a gogo bar. Also remember that it's not the Royal Cliff or Casa Pascal's and you should not expect the same standards.
The restaurant does not advertise itself as a gay venue but has a large following of gay customers who go back time and again mainly because it is good food, great value, clean and well run.

Highly Recommended

Here is a bad scan of the restaurant's card that I have amended with a couple of local landmarks.
http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx169/mrwhite_2009/Ritz05.jpg

You're obviously not an independent commentator in this instance.
There is no such thing as a straight or gay restaurant, there are just restaurants. Restaurants don't serve up sex- they serve food. Some restaurants may have more gay patrons than others but the reasons for this will be varied.
Your defence of this inveterate homophobic cafe owner is a load of BULLCRAP.
The gay patrons you now see in the place are unsuspecting newcomers who have travelled long distances to see the excellent show at the VENUE around the corner. The homophobic cafe owner has already told this to a few of his straight english buddies who in turn have told me. His disclaimer is that hard economic times are forcing him to 'put up with the fags'.
Let me warn prospective gay diners that this sweetness and light reported by the poster above is a sham and sooner or later this blunt individual will not be able to hold back and you will be the object of yet another tirade of insult and abuse. As the Thais say "UP TO YOU".

July 7th, 2009, 14:08
You're obviously not an independent commentator in this instance.
There is no such thing as a straight or gay restaurant, there are just restaurants. Restaurants don't serve up sex- they serve food. Some restaurants may have more gay patrons than others but the reasons for this will be varied.
Your defence of this inveterate homophobic cafe owner is a load of BULLCRAP.
The gay patrons you now see in the place are unsuspecting newcomers who have travelled long distances to see the excellent show at the VENUE around the corner. The homophobic cafe owner has already told this to a few of his straight english buddies who in turn have told me. His disclaimer is that hard economic times are forcing him to 'put up with the fags'.
Let me warn prospective gay diners that this sweetness and light reported by the poster above is a sham and sooner or later this blunt individual will not be able to hold back and you will be the object of yet another tirade of insult and abuse. As the Thais say "UP TO YOU".

I have no financial interest in this place or any other place in Jomtien, Pattaya or even Chonburi Province!
I am completely independent in my commentary .. but because I agree with the majority on this thread that you have got it wrong about the owner then I am accused - YOU ARE THE ONE SPEWING THE BULLCRAP.

Judging by your remarks on this thread, any derogatory comment made to you by anyone is entirely justified.
Grow up and take your hissy fit elsewhere.

Patexpat
July 7th, 2009, 17:03
well this easily solved ... next time someone dines there bring this thread up and mention how it may damage his business and see what reaction is forthcoming!

Brad the Impala
July 7th, 2009, 18:47
well this easily solved ... next time someone dines there bring this thread up and mention how it may damage his business and see what reaction is forthcoming!

Are you volunteering?

Khor tose
July 7th, 2009, 18:57

That is (truly) a very good idea. Looks like you have a plan. When can we expect your report? I do not know about the others, but I have read enough of your posts to trust that you will give us an honest report. Good food or not, I would like to know if the man is a homophobe. On the rare occasion when I am in Pattaya, I usually stay in Jomtien and I will not spend my money in a business where the owner is a homophobe.

Patexpat
July 7th, 2009, 19:34
Anyone who knows me is aware that I'm a fairly straight forward sorta person - I have no qualms in raising this with the owner next time I dine there ... just as I would hope someone would do the same to me if there was gossip about my business ....

giggsy
July 7th, 2009, 21:45
GO ON PAT YOU SORT HIM OUT. AND IF YOU NEED PROTECTION THERE HAS JUST BEEN A POST WITH 5 PAGES OF WHAT TYPE OF GUN TO TAKE WITH YOU :gun:

Patexpat
July 7th, 2009, 22:41
I have no intention of 'sorting him out' as you put it - I've lived here long enough and hope to continue to do so!

July 7th, 2009, 22:45
I have no intention of 'sorting him out' as you put it - I've lived here long enough and hope to continue to do so!

All mouth no trousers

July 7th, 2009, 23:57
By the sound of it though no reason to doubt that your experiences are an accurate account of what happened to you.

And no reason to believe it either.

The owner chef does not like gays, it is a known fact...... He does not like gays, that is not a rumor, it is fact.

As has been said, BULLCRAP. It is your opinion, nothing more.

quiet1
July 8th, 2009, 06:46
I strolled by yesterday with the intention of trying the restaurant pending a look at the menu, but was disappointed that they don't open until 1830. It was around 1700 at the time, and I was hungry, so opted to eat at Dick's Cafe.

Wonder why they open so late?

Patexpat
July 8th, 2009, 09:48

All mouth no trousers

You obviously do NOT know me ... or indeed take time to read my posts - please reread my post which says I will bring this thread to his attention and see what reaction we get. that, DICK, is not 'sorting him out' like some sort of low life might do, but handling the situation in controlled and civilised fashion .... obviously beyond your abilities.

July 8th, 2009, 13:38
matradee

LOL.

TrongpaiExpat
July 8th, 2009, 13:42
I have never tried the Ritz but I'll try it. Sound Excellent. I take an order of mangled adverbs, tossed word salad, roasted random Capitals and for desertion a nice pouched cream'd run on sentence with raspberries.

Impulse
July 8th, 2009, 13:47
Oh dear,forget the bib,the spelling police are out in full force. lol

July 8th, 2009, 13:51
They have all the English home cook favorites

Aside from "spotted prick," "lemon crud" and "turd in a hole" I thought the only other national English dish was curry.

Khor tose
July 8th, 2009, 13:52
When this RITZ CAFE opened I gave it a wonderful right up and as i know the owner he is an old sea Dog, let me tell u

If you are giving the Ritz your recommendation then I have some very serious doubts about the place, and the owner. Having read your constant BS, plagiarisms, and egocentric nonsense I believe your recommendation is the worst possible endorsement the establishment could have.

July 8th, 2009, 18:03
I am a bit surprised that some one thinks it is appropriate to ask an owner his opinion on sexuality.

I enjoy the food at the Ritz. I have eaten there over 12 times in the last 5 months. I see many of my gay friends eating there and some of my straight friends.

This thread seems to me to be ridiculous.

PeterUK
July 8th, 2009, 19:03
I am a bit surprised that some one thinks it is appropriate to ask an owner his opinion on sexuality.

I agree with you. I have no idea what his views about gay people are and don't care as long as he is happy to serve them in a polite fashion. In my case I avoid the place because the owner was rude to the group I was with. There was no obvious homophobic content to his rudeness and perhaps the complaint about service made by my friend was ill-advised in view of the fact that the place was very busy at the time and the owner was clearly under pressure, but I still think his sustained rudeness was unwarranted. My friend, being a saintly soul, has long since forgiven him.

July 8th, 2009, 19:48
In my case I avoid the place because the owner was rude to the group I was with.

I'm trying imagine what sort of group you'd be a part of.
Was it some type of therapeutic day trip?
Was everyone medicated before boarding the bus?

Khor tose
July 8th, 2009, 20:02
I enjoy the food at the Ritz. I have eaten there over 12 times in the last 5 months. I see many of my gay friends eating there and some of my straight friends.
This thread seems to me to be ridiculous.

1. All the more reason to tell the owner he is being badmouthed on this board and report his reaction. If I owned a business and someone accused me of something that could hurt my business, I would hope that one of my customers would speak to me about it. Hardly ridiculous to me to give the man an opportunity to defend himself, from what may be a scurrilous attack.
2. I would rather spend my money in a gay business with so-so food then in a business where the owner smiles at me, but calls me a creep or a deviant behind my back. The man sounds like he has either has a bad temper or a distaste for my lifestyle. I would dismiss the first, but will not tolerate or contribute to the second. There are to many gay establishment that need my support to contribute to someone who would discriminate against me. Again, hardly ridiculous.

July 8th, 2009, 21:54
The phrase "Beer bottle pockets" springs to mind with this thread. The usual old camp queens want to eat CHEAP but expect the same service as they would get at The Royal Cliff.

Patexpat
July 8th, 2009, 22:12
. If I was them I would track down your IPS number and make you pay, as has happened before with some one calling them self "Gloria" years ago, :angryfire:

whats an IPS number?

July 8th, 2009, 22:14
I think he means "IP address"...what a complete idiot.

Patexpat
July 8th, 2009, 22:22
ah! IP address from his ISP .... static or dynamic ? Has an affect on how traceable you are B.U. ...

July 8th, 2009, 22:30
ah! IP address from his ISP .... static or dynamic ? Has an affect on how traceable you are B.U. ...

if you have the time he was using a dynamic IP address, the logs in the ISP's DHCP server will identify the user assigned that IP address at that time.

Patexpat
July 8th, 2009, 22:35
correct syd - you just need co-operation from his ISP ...

July 9th, 2009, 08:39

if you have the time he was using a dynamic IP address, the logs in the ISP's DHCP server will identify the user assigned that IP address at that time.

Please note that ISP's would in no way provide tossers like you with any information concerning their subscribers without a law inforcement order (even though you poor queens think you are so important)

July 9th, 2009, 08:49

Please note that ISP's would in no way provide tossers like you with any information concerning their subscribers without a law inforcement order (even though you poor queens think you are so important)

Before you could even go to the ISP, you'd need the IP address. And I don't see how you could even get that -- unless Spike cooperated (which I'm sure he wouldn't).

July 9th, 2009, 12:59

absolutely right. but the point was that using a dynamic or static IP address wouldnt make any difference in being able to identify somebody.

thaiguest
July 10th, 2009, 02:54
I did not suggest you have a financial interest in the place. You're more likely a fellow navy old boy ...'seamen is thicker than water'...and all that.
As regards speaking for the 'majority of posters' (many of whom don't live in Thailand) blah!
Let me say it once again; the owner of Cafe Ritz, Jomtien, has a nice Thai wife (so mortified by his homophobia that she rarely appears in the cafe), is a self confessed homophobic, has an apologist (nay apologists) on this, a gay forum, urging gays to eat in his establishment...hey!... a man for all and low seasons when the pink baht is better than no baht at all.

andrewcraig
July 11th, 2009, 16:11
Had time to catch up with a few friends who now live in Jomtien, and they confirmed that the guy is homophobic and irrational. But he has real estate holdings in the soi plus owns a pussy massage parlour same soi, and he is getting pisssed off at pillow biters' bars, clubs and restaurants intruding in "his" space. This latest spat seems to be caused because gays are now dining at the new restaurant next to Montys, prior to going to the Venue. I think the name starts with A but cannot remember. It is owned by Tui [from the beach] my friends eat there 3 times a week at least every tues and thurs for the roast dinners.

They also have a few drinks at Montys . Last week they had a few drinks with managers from the Venue, apparently they drink at Montys a lot. They also revealed that LMTU has not been seen at the club and regulars have confirmed that.
Favourite comment is you can take the lad out of Blackpool, but you cant take Blackpool out of the lad.

Also Billy has now moved out of Howards and has been seen in Jomtien. Maybe we should point Billy in The Ritz direction