PDA

View Full Version : The Balcony (Bangkok)

Surfcrest
April 6th, 2006, 08:43
I've been going to The Balcony in Bangkok for a meal from time to time for a number of years.

I think the food is surprisingly quite good for a Pub.

Many years back I used to frequent the place across the Soi, but the food went down hill and despite at least one visit each year I never found the food had improved any. I have some other concerns about Telephone, but the service was always very good. I went to Dick's over on Twilight many times last for the same reason I go to The Balcony. The food had always beeen quite good. This year, I'm not sure what has happened in the kitchen but the food at Dick's is not as it was.

I may have been to The Balcony to eat several times this year over the course of a few months. In February my favorite waiter "Dew" left to go back to school. If you know The Balcony, it seems the system is that the waiters are out on the Soi gently (compared to the bars on Twilight) coaxing customers inside. Once they seat you, you are their customer while you are there. Unfortunately, unless it is super busy they return to the Soi. It has happened more often then I would care to mention that I donтАЩt see the waiter for long stretches of time while he is outside. My last visit was the Saturday before the election, a particularly quiet night. I may have been the only one eating at that time that night and I saw them bring my food order downstairs. Several other waiters walked by it on their way back and forth from the bar to their customers. My waiter was outside and over ten minutes had gone by when he finally came in and brought me my food which by that time was no longer hot. He laughed as Thais do when they are embarrassed and made some remark about "forget". Had I been at home I would have complained and sent it back, but I've always treated Thailand different in that regard allowing a lot more slack. On an occassion before, I was eating with a friend from Hong Kong and the food arrived with only one plate of rice. The waiter told me that they had run out of rice. How do you serve Thai food and run out of rice? Wouldn't that thought cross someone's mind as they were getting low? How do two non-intimate people (intimate could share the rice -had we had another plate) eat when only one gets rice. By the time the second rice arrived, the food was no longer hot.

I see a tall handsome Thai walking around like a peacock and I assume that he is the manager / supervisor. He seems to be giving the waiters instructions. I see a Farang at the bar smoking / drinking sometimes saying something to the staff, sometimes to the supervisor / waiter. I'm not quite certain what each of their purpose is. I certainly don't see a coordinated staff with the customer's needs in mind. It seems they are quite focused on you while you walk down the Soi, but once you are inside you are quickly forgotten.

Thankfully there is one waiter "Nu" that has jumped in to look after me or my guests and I when the original waiter goes missing. I try to find "Nu" when I walk down the Soi, but they all come at you leaving little choice and "Nu" doesn't work everyday. I've known some of the waiters for a few years and while some have become a little cocky, most are pretty friendly and efficient. Obviously there is a problem with the organization, whether that is the supervisor / manager's undoing or the manager / owner's.

One thing The Balcony doesn't get is that they wouldn't have to pull so hard on the street if they focused on creating a better "repeat" customer base by looking after their customers while they are there. There are endless choices in Bangkok for a night out and despite how good the food is, business won't survive being run like this.

Surfcrest

Surfcrest
April 6th, 2006, 21:46
I think you think your eating at the BALCONY PUB for a talent contest, ITS A PUB WITH GREAT PUB GRUB,

just ask the laughing Policeman type OWNER, sitting at the Bar he know every one who is any one.

I would not Run down the food over the road because its not what they specialize in, they are a drinking Cruisy PUB,,,,,

I'm not sure what you mean by cock eyed or a talent contest, but the again there's more than a few things you post that are beyond me. Like run down the food over the road, what the heck do you mean there?

I seem to sense that knowing important people is important to you or makes you feel like you are important too. Good for you man.

I think I already mentioned how good the food is at The Balcony, so thanks for the reassurrance.
The simple point was service and how Thai business needs to think about the customer to survive. Having vacationed in Thailand for many years, I've seen a lot of business come and go. Frankly there are not many left from the early nineties for this very reason.

Too many farangs with cash open up businesses thinking it will legitimize their stay in Thailand so they can take advantage of what brought them here originally and on a long term business.
I think it is fair to say that you need to know something about business and keep up with bisiness knowledge to remain competitive.
If you are an investor in the real world, you would know that.

Keep smiling

Surfcrest

bkkguy
April 7th, 2006, 11:21
If I were the Balcony, or any other venue, I think I would be paying LMTU to shut up rather than sprouting his usual rubbish about my venue - his over-the-top comments usually do more damage than good!

bkkguy

Surfcrest
April 7th, 2006, 16:22
I've read LMTU's latest reply over and over and I still can't figure out what he is saying....other than something about the waiter not having the Hots for me.

I just want service man, I came in to eat or entertain some friends...not get laid.

I don't care how nice the owner is or who the owner knows in these little fishing villages of Pattaya 117,044 and Bangkok 6,355,144 that you speak of (http://www.citypopulation.de/Thailand.html)...put the drink down...your cigarette out...and run a business before you are out of it.

Surfcrest

April 7th, 2006, 17:12
Surfie,
Arent't you making the classic mistake that the rules for success in business in North America are the the same globally. Some folk call that neo-colonialism. The rules and constraints on ex-pat owned businesses in Thailand are hugely different from those in English Bay.

Your relating of your perceptions as a customer are very valuable to both owners and potential customers like myself. But please don't assert that every country should follow the grate american way. What you get is what you get - "an' sae the Lord be thankit'" (Burns).

Surfcrest
April 8th, 2006, 00:47
I'm pretty sure the rules of business apply the same way the rules of mathematics apply between borders.

Yes, it is true the standard for service is quite high in my neighbourhood of EnglishBay.
You need to look a certain way and perform to a certain level in the service industry or you are out.
If they are in, the pay in tips is quite attractive for the short life these people can remain in the industry.
If there is a smudge on my spoon, a stain on my glass or the lobster isn't prepared precisely to perfection I'll send it back.
If not, the standard that we pay for wil fail and I will no longer be getting value for the expensive tip we are expected to leave behind.

As I said before, I know Thailand is different and I know establishments try hard.
Doing their best is good enough for me.
When they are capable of more, I may stand up and take notice.

I have on many occassions gone to the manager / owner and provided suggestions to make their business and my next visit better with the same resources at hand.
If you have two waiters and they are doing their best, I can stand to wait an extra 10 minutes for service.
When you have 4 waiters and you wait an extra 10 minutes because 3 of the 4 are too busy talking to each other or are on their cellphone (while supposedly working) I think there must be a problem.

When I go to (suposedly) the best gay pub in Bangkok with great food that I like, I want to keep enjoying this for many years to come.
I think I can stand up and say something, as I have.
Perhaps next time I'll go up to the stately cop who's more busy watching people come in than watching the people that are already in and bring to his attention what he should already know.
It's not as if he is busy doing anything productive.
I made my claim about The Balcony because I know they can do better and because I want them to survive.
I made a comment about Dew and Nu because I think they are good at what they do, not because I want to sleep with either.
This is Thailand and I'm sure if I wanted to get laid I would know how to go about it day or night.

Surfcrest

April 8th, 2006, 04:49
Surfcrest is being very patient here.
I think anyone (well, most people) would get a little annoyed if thire food was sitting around going cold for several minutes.

If you are patient and polite, you wait a while expecting someone to notice and bring your food. Out of politeness and perhaps being in holiday mood, you may choose not to make a fuss. Or you may not, as the case may be.

But the irritation grows and the memory of that poor service remains.
You dont HAVE to eat there, so next time maybe you decide to try somewhere else.
Thats why poorly run businesses fail. Treat the customer well, or they go somewhere else. It's the same the world over... :idea:

April 8th, 2006, 06:47
Well I have not been to BKK for the last four years, but will be back in late April. Sure I will look if anything has changed. In the last 6 years Balcony was my favorite place to have drinks, have fun, being my waterhole in BKK. It have always been fun, meting guys saying "hey you are back " For some years the food and the drinks have been better and cheaper than the on the other side of the Soi. Well, it might have changed in the last years. I will look for myself, and give my opinion.

We are in Thailand. and in a Soi. where at lot of things i happening from minutes to minutes. Well I enjoyed (and hopefully I still do)

Surfcrest
April 8th, 2006, 18:27
I can not wonder what your secret agenda is, WHY COULD YOU NOT SAY TO THE PASSING WAITER ANY ONE,,,,, HEY IS MY SCRUMPTIOUS MEAL READY, IM DRIPPING AT THE MOUTH TO GET MY CHOPPERS INTO IT>

Or turn round to the owner sitting behind you and say, Im so hungry, I can see every one else's delicious meals and mine is taking 4 minute to long, can you ask the waiter standing 3 or 4 feet in front of me to make it faster.

Never mind Im sure your go and tell the world instead, its a lot less trouble to go home and grieve about it then write on a web site, that is read by literally 10s of thousands, of potentual gay guys, over a month that will make THE BALCONY PAY then have to close naughty BALCONY PUB, they will have to learn Im not a man you cross, when I want my own way, well I hope you feel a big man now, as you do in the restaurants in your home town, where you dont stand any nonsense, from them either, if they have a dirty spoon they want to watch out.

Thank god it was only the waiter that was a few minutes late or you will of exploded.

Thanks for the offer to put your exceptionally well choosen words into my mouth and enlightening me with the eloquent gift of gab that you possess.
Unfortunately I can only dream to read such a symphony of words.

Thankfuly I am not you and NO, I don't have any secret agenda (if you read what I've posted over the years).

Think for a minute before you race to tell the world all the many things you know and all the many important people that include you as a part of their circle. What do you think the "non-secret" agenda is for this message board?

It's about sharing messages.

Simple as that dude.

I'm not a terrorist out to sabotage The Balcony or any other business in Thailand.
The simple message here was about service and more specifically in reference to the service I have received from The Balcony in light of the system they use to solicit customers and the ineffective management of their establishment from the inside.

For the record dear, I will continue to eat there when I am in Bangkok and will definitely tell the very important owner my observations if it wil help his business any.
Secondly, If the reception I receive from sharing these observations is less than cordial then I will share that with the Sawatdee community using this message board, many of whom are already personal friends of mine.

Don't create any Don Corleone fantasies about me and my relationship with the business I frequent unless you know me.
You can see clearly from the onset of this post that I have mentioned many positive aspects about The Balcony and the real agenda is simply to get them to pull up their socks and to focus on what is important....that being the customer, their customer.

I am beginning to see why you have become so unpopular as of late.

Perhaps you should read and live by all that stuff that follows below each of your post a little.

Surfcrest

TrongpaiExpat
April 8th, 2006, 20:39
Don't take it too personal Surf. The "ex" in expat comes from the Latin ex (out of) and patria (country); however, after about of year of residence the "ex" become to mean, expert in all things Thai.

My expert credentials should be kicking in any day now!

April 13th, 2006, 08:11
I have just been informed the Balcony Fun Pub is closing during SONGKRAN and they are paying like Opera Winfrey does for all her staff, Pay to join in the fun on the beach at Pattaya is this true, how do we get a job there.

This should come as no surprise -- the Balcony closes every year, leaving their manager to sell beer on the terrace outsside. It is a good employment practice to bring their lads on holiday. If you have run any sort of business in Thailand, you are certainly familiar with the attrition problems that employers face. As soon as an employee (and I mean anyone from a bus boy in a pub up to an engineering director) gets a few baht in their pocket, they may decide to take an unannounced sabbatical! This trip to Pattaya gives them the time to get closer to their team, and go have some genuine fun together.

As for not getting proper restaurant service in a pub, SC, go tell the manager rather than whinging here. It's a pub. Get over it. Or even better -- don't, and don't go!

April 13th, 2006, 08:43
... I must agree with Surfcrest. Service at Balcony is lousy, which is why I only ever go there when dragged, kicking, screaming and protesting, with friends (who hate the management at Telephone even more). The fact is that most Westerners who own and operate bars in Thailand do so as it's an excuse to get a Business Visa and live here. They've never run a bar (or, probably, any business) in their home country, and a bar seems an easy option. In the case of Balcony the two owners are an ex-Army officer and a University teacher. Neither have the faintest idea about customer service and as far as I can tell, neither care. One of them is the figure mentioned by Surfcrest in his original post. That it is bar and not a restaurant is irrelevant, mumbaighost

Sphinx (a restaurant) is also closed for Songkran - but the sort of people who eat there are most likely (and wisely) Home Alone. For those who prefer to drink at neither Balcony or Telephone I can (at last) recommend @Richards in Soi 2/1, next to Freeman Disco. I pop in for a pink gin from time to time. The staff are (almost) all ex-Telephone. I say "at last" because it's taken them an inordinately long time to settle in, and it's only recently that food has taken less than 30 minutes to arrive from when the order was placed

Surfcrest
April 13th, 2006, 10:18
As for not getting proper restaurant service in a pub, SC, go tell the manager rather than whinging here. It's a pub. Get over it. Or even better -- don't, and don't go!

Who's whinging, and would we know what that was if someone was doing it?
Obviously I've stepped on your gown too.

I'm well over it princess as you would know if you read a little farther.

Thanks for the support Colonel

Kisses

Surfcrest

April 13th, 2006, 11:15
I'm well over it princess as you would know if you read a little farther.

Okay fair enough :) I will then share with you a secret about the Balcony: even though they are quietest and have the best aircon, not to mention the anonymity that we sometimes need in gay pubs, the tables inside at the back are the "dead zone" for service. Most of the lads either linger outside to see what is going on, or walk down the narrow side of the bar (is it to be seen by the boss? not sure) to pick up drinks and deal with the cashier. Another secret is to order your "check bin" well before you are ready, as the lads need to go through an amazing ritual to ensure that the proper checks and balances are in place (and I am convinced that they are still using an abacus).

April 13th, 2006, 15:54
I still maintain that Soi 4 is the best place to go to eat and drink on Bangkok's Gay scene and the best place to meet some company for the night; be it other farang for a chat or some of the local lads for a bit of fun. There is good food at Sphinx, at Balcony, at Telephone and now at Roxy also. There is a great pub atmosphere in Balcony and Telephone and if that doesn't appeal then there is a show at Roxy or a trip to Cafe 4, drop into Bar Bar, a game of snooker at Pool Boys or a stroll around Neung's art shop.
It comes as no surprise that Homintern chooses to recommend the very disappointing Richard's Pub as an alternative. Homintern has shown his distaste for all things Soi 4 in innumerable posts here and other extinct message boards, however, in spite of his poisoned pen Soi 4 has continued to thrive. As for Richard's Pub, if you take Homintern's recommendation please note that all you will meet is a handful of jaded geriatrics who have nothing better to do but bitch about life and other farangs (he must feel so 'at home' in the place). The food is mediocre, the service is snails pace and there are no Thais except for the staff. Enjoy!

April 13th, 2006, 19:02
if you take Homintern's recommendation please note that all you will meet is a handful of jaded geriatrics who have nothing better to do but bitch about life and other farangs (he must feel so 'at home' in the place). At home!? I'm a shareholder. See you at the next LYC

Surfcrest
April 14th, 2006, 10:11
What a lot of rubbish you talk mumbaighost & Co, any one who has eaten across the road, then at the Balcony know only to well where to fasted food and bill come from

LMTU

Doesn't it sound contradictorty to you, that you complain that I made some comments here about The Balcony and yet it's okay for you to say something about our friends across the road?

A little out of sorts I think....

Surfcrest

April 14th, 2006, 14:04
DELETED

Surfcrest
April 14th, 2006, 15:37
John,

It was nice to finally hear another sensible response.

As I mentioned before, point taken and I will indeed say something to the guy at the bar if anything like these examples occurs again. Shortly before I posted this originally, I was looking for another memberтАЩs name in the directory. I discovered many members with тАЬThe BalconyтАЭ or variations as their user names. I presumed that the owner or a spokesman from the bar could speak about a system they use that I believe doesnтАЩt work. Maybe that response did indeed come from someone wandering about or something. It really doesnтАЩt matter as you can clearly see the polarization in the membership from those on the customer side to those possibly having a vested interest (or seemingly to have).

Just so it doesnтАЩt seem like IтАЩm going on and on in addition to the original comments, I like The Balcony, the food, the staff, the locationтАж.whatтАЩs not to like? I would just like to see them not get so complacent with their market share and to improve where improvement is due.

Surfcrest

April 14th, 2006, 17:48
I have visited Richards bar for a drink, as they were the only ones to allow in my 19 year old bf at the time. I posted about this a few weeks ago. Service for the drinks was bloody awful. I had to go up 3 times to ask what was happening. If it wasn't for the fact that I was desperate for a drink I would have walked out of the place.

I must absolutely concur that Richard's is a restaurant that is not ready yet!! I've gone twice -- just becuase Richard is delightful, and I miss him being at Telephone. But, despite the fact that we knew some of the waiters for many years as mates, the service was Uber-slow, and all 5 dishes we ordered were served incorrectly (four of which were sent back, and one turned out to be nicer the way the cook made up his mind to create it).

When we went, they also still had those awful metal chairs, which gave you a sqare arse after five minutes, but I understand that they have replaced them with proper ones by now.

I'm sure that the owners will straighten out all of these problems, especially given Richard's track record, but for now it's still going through growing pains.

What a lot of rubbish you talk mumbaighost & Co, any one who has eaten across the road, then at the Balcony know only to well where to fasted food and bill come from "The Balcony PUB"

Lets face it, we are talking about a PUb not the Oriental Hotel, what are you People on about, some one waits a couple of minutes extra for there meal, because they are so bored they can not have a conversation with there companion, not that I should think they have one, if they whinge so much.

LMTU: if you read the thread properly you will find that you are quite mistaken -- if you don't understand English well (my first clue was your creative grammar), you may want to hesitate before criticising those who write in it, dahling ;-)

April 14th, 2006, 17:57
now it's still going through growing pains

Just like John Botting's young friend? :drunken:

April 14th, 2006, 18:06
now it's still going through growing pains

Just like John Botting's young friend? :drunken:

Ouch that hurt! :geek:

I might have said it first, but I would be immediately clobbered for being the pot calling the kettle black!!!

I also thought about saying something about John's comment about being "desperate for a drink," but given that the manager at my local now introduces me as "the town drunk" of Happy Valley (where I live), I thought better of it -- not to mention the strange craving I have for a gin and tonic at 16:59 every day, which oddly seems to occur at the correct hour in any time zone...

April 14th, 2006, 18:12
I'm sure that the owners will straighten out all of these problems, especially given Richard's track record, but for now it's still going through growing pains.As someone who has known and liked Richard since before he bought Telephone, I have to say I find these statements about his track record to be amusing, at least. For the entire time he was at Telephone he coasted along relying entirely on other people (lovers, then business partners) to do the business side of things. Telephone became the leader because, frankly, when it began (by an American called William who then sold Telephone to Richard (and his then lover Yot) and went on to open Sphinx) there was no alternative and it stayed that way for enough years had passed before any other credible bars opened. I'm told that the attitude of Richard's current business partner in @Richards is "You can't please everyone so why bother trying", so that augurs well for the long-term success of the place! I'd rather eat at Sphinx or even Telephone than @Richards given the slow service, but getting a drink doesn't seem to be a problem (although in my case I just top up the intravenous hip flask)

April 14th, 2006, 19:08
I have to say I find these statements about his track record to be amusing, at least. For the entire time he was at Telephone he coasted along relying entirely on other people (lovers, then business partners) to do the business side of things.

Wow -- what an interesting story! I only started coming to Bangkok regularly in 2000 (before that my parter and I used to go to Phuket directly, back in the good days when there were regular direct flights!), so I missed a lot of those fun years, sadly.

I'm told that the attitude of Richard's current business partner in @Richards is "You can't please everyone so why bother trying", so that augurs well for the long-term success of the place!

YES, well -- he introduced himself to us the first time we went (and Richard was out), and asked us to give a report card, pretending to be genuinely concerned when we mentioned all the mistakes and the fact that our blood alcohol level was getting dangerously low due to lack of juice (which he may well have been, but it seemed to be a wee bit like acting to me...).

I'd rather eat at Sphinx or even Telephone than @Richards

The last two times I was tempted to go to Richard's I ended up at Sphinx -- I don't know why I love that place so much, but the perfect gin martinis might have something to do with it :) Sphinx, Eat Me and Zanotti are the three restauarants on my "must have" list every time I go to BKK!

(although in my case I just top up the intravenous hip flask)

Ai-yah -- and I thought I was the only one who carried one of those! :drunken:

Surfcrest
April 15th, 2006, 10:30
LMTU

What a load of crap.

You must have switched from a shovel to a front-end loader long ago.

How does that ignore function work Colonel?

April 15th, 2006, 17:34
Hello Girls

I've just read this thread from the top and can't believe that anyone is moaning about the Bella-Bella Balcony or the Terri-Terrific Telephone. I've been going to both for years and years and those waiters are just adorable.

I noticed this at the end of Sally-Surfcrest's first post: "There are endless choices in Bangkok for a night out and despite how good the food is, business won't survive being run like this"

Well Sally .
Take a look at all the posters around town and you'll see that the Bella Bella Balcony is having its 8th YES 8th Birthday next month.

Bad service RUBBISH - you were probably thinking of that boy you had to service your fat Tushie.
:geek:

April 15th, 2006, 20:09
How does that ignore function work Colonel?Right down the bottom of each post there are four buttons, the first one being IGNORE

April 15th, 2006, 20:10
Bella Balcony is having its 8th YES 8th Birthday next month
And is such a roaring commercial success that one of its two owners still keeps his day job, just to make ends meet

April 15th, 2006, 21:11
And is such a roaring commercial success that one of its two owners still keeps his day job, just to make ends meet...........

How many owners?

paulg
April 15th, 2006, 21:16
For god's sake LMTU drop your addition to every post

It is boring and now American Teacher is copying.

We do not need this shit.

Say what you have to say and forget the sermon.

You are starting to resemble Hedda.

April 15th, 2006, 21:25
You are starting to resemble HeddaI think that does a complete disservice to Hedda. At least the Big H can string together a coherent set of sentences, however much you may disagree with the content

April 16th, 2006, 21:51
On a non-hysterical note, I would agree with Surfcrest's opening post that service at the Balcony has slightly diminished. A few of the waiters know me and they tend to take care of me pretty well (since they know I tip), but if I get a waiter who doesn't know me things can be pretty slow. Again, I agree with Surfcrest that NU is one of the more hard-working and helpful waiters there at present.

wowpow
April 17th, 2006, 17:59
The dates have been confirmed. Maisie Trollette is now coming to Thailand in May and will be performing at The Balcony on Tuesday 30th May. Her inimitable style will ensure you laugh from the start. She will have a number of supporting acts including тАШThe Dolly SistersтАЩ from Pattaya. This will be a very busy night so ensure you get here early to get a seat.

Also a reminder that our 8th Birthday will be on Thursday 4th May starting at 6.00pm тАУ lots of fun and games; a lucky draw; free dinks for members and a lot more so please put it in your diary now.

The Soi 4 Pink Party is on Wednesday 10th May. This is an occasion when all the gay venues in Soi 4 will get together and have a street party in aid of charity. There will be a Mr. and Miss Pink beauty contest; an auction; dancing; singing and a lot of street entertainment plus special events or special offers inside every venue. We hope you will all come along and enjoy the fun.

We look forward to seeing you again soon at The Balcony.

Best Regards
From the Management & Staff
The Balcony
86-88 Silom Soi 4
Bangkok 10500

www.balconypub.com (http://www.balconypub.com)

April 17th, 2006, 19:15
No mention of improvements to service standards, I notice