PDA

View Full Version : My Review of the Venue Hotel, Pattaya

TrongpaiExpat
July 2nd, 2009, 02:14
I recently stayed at the Venue and here are my impressions for what it's worth. This is a review of the hotel only.

I booked on-line for a standard room and quite promptly received a call from Ray telling me that they have extended the 999 baht special discount with upgrades to next available room.

I walked by a few times when the Venue was under construction otherwise it would have been quite a shock seeing how the old Bondi was converted to this modern structure. I am not a big fan of modern decor. I can tolerate it but would not go modern in anyplace that I lived. So, as far as modern goes, it was nicely done. We approached the desk and a nice polite Thai guy efficiently checked me in. I noticed a sign for Jointers, they check ID, keep it and then check on you when the joiner leaves, some farangs like this. The guy checking me did not say anything about what sort of an upgrade I got, if any, but I got a room on the 3rd floor whatever room class that is, I suspect it was either the Superior or the Deluxe. I know it was not a suite and I am guessing that the standard rooms are on floor 2.

There's something askew with the room's feng shui. There's a sofa with a high back that's positioned at the foot of the bed. You can't see the TV from the bed. There's a nice glass table but too small for the coffee/tea set up and a lap top. Overall there's not a lot of shelf/table space and I ended up with stuff on the floor. I know it all part of the modern design but that's one of the reasons I don't like this design. The TV is nice but the stand is too low. The lighting system is the only design feature that is near perfect. AC works well, good adjustment/thermostat but an in room fan would be a nice extra. There's only one chair in the room and it's the same modern design chairs in the bar, with this funny wrap around chrome tubing for upper back support with a firm seat, not comfortable.

One of the most important features of any hotel room for me is the bed. That's were you spend most of your time. There's four good pillows, every hotel should have four pillows. The bed was on the firm side but not rock hard, it had some give but not what I like. The beds that are featured in Westin hotels called the "Heavenly bed" are my favorite. That could be remedied a little with a good foam padded cover. If you sleep on your side you might not like the beds, there's no give unless you really press down hard. The choice to go with these low cost mattress was a mistake. If I was paying high season rates, I would have expected better beds.

The web page does not tell you much about the room categories except the prices.There are three room categories but besides a suite being one there's no details (sq meter or whatever) on the web page on what rooms are what. Still no good photos of the rooms and how hard can that be to get updated?

There's a lift next to reception and a spiral stair case, a little narrow on the treads and tedious for big footed farangs, take the lift. We got a room facing the street but noise from outside was not a problem. Noise does make it in from the downstairs show and if for some reason you have to sleep at 10pm, forget it. After midnight it's quiet. I don't know if I had neighbors or not but the walls between rooms are solid and your not hearing anything from a noisy neighbor.

They went with room keys and double turn locks rather than card locks. There's an easy to use safe in the closet wardrobe. I would not worry too much about security, seems quite safe and secure.

The room phone charges are overpriced. 10B a min local, 20B /min Bangkok and 100B /min international and add 15B for calls to cell phone. Then if your stupid enough to pay those rates you can book a car and driver to Bangkok for 2,500B, Airport for 2,400B.

There's Wifi but I could not get connected, week signal. There also a LAN connection and they lend you a cable if you don't have one. I did not bother The Venue's internet because I have a air modem and that was working fine.

The bathroom continued with the modern design with a fixed glass door and half open shower. Some water splashes on the floor outside the shower. These open designs are popular now but you need a bigger shower area to prevent water getting outside the shower area.

Overall, the price I paid for the quality of the room was excellent. It's not a 5 star resort. In fact calling it a resort is a stretch. Not pulling out a tape measure but I would say that you get a little more space for the same price as Poseidon but your not getting anything more that what Poseidon has to offer, other than the pool which is too small, poorly located and is not getting much use. So, would I stay here again? Not really unless there was another 999 special price/upgrade offer. I don't mind spending baht for a quality room but this is Pattaya, Shitsville, The brothel by the sea not Phuket, Karab or some nice island. It's not on the beach and the view is that of an ugly street in the deteriorating complex. It's a hotel above a Pattaya show bar. The place just did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

I see the price structure between the Venue and the Poseidon is pretty much the same for the standard room. The Venue Standard Room: Low Season - Baht 1290 High Season - Baht 1690. The Poseidon called their lowest category a Superior Room Low Season - Baht 1,360 High Season- Baht 1600. I would rather go with the Poseidon if I am paying these rates. I am sure there will be a following for the Venue. The place is run well, spotless, and the staff excellent. It's just not the place for me but do give it a try and make your own decisions.

July 2nd, 2009, 02:59
I also agree about the Venue webb site, it would be better to show a pic of all the rooms and if poss a room floor plan. I had the choice of either the venue or the poseidon for my last stay, but decided on staying at the poseidon, where i had spent my last 5 visits, and where , i knew the room standard and most important , what the bed and mattress were like, Many thanks for your report

July 2nd, 2009, 04:06
it may help the hotel if you emailed them a copy of your review. Im sure they would welcome all input.

blueboy
July 2nd, 2009, 08:25
Trongpaiexpat -

This is a pretty thorough report. You seem to have made a few good points from your own observations and experiences.
Have you ever done similar reports on other gay hotels like Poseidon, Tui's, Ambiance, Cafe Royale, Sansuk guesthouse, Tarntawan, etc - I and am sure many other would like to read them.

Your expectations did seem high, maybe due to the hype about the place, but you were paying ONLY 999 Baht. The nearest Westin which provides the mattresses you like is about 3000 Baht MORE (in Bangkok). You talk about the view - apart from Tui's of the hotels/guesthouses I have mentioned above, view from a room at Ambiance/Cafe, or did you ever get a room at Tarntawan for 2800 Baht with a view of a brick wall! The pool is too small you say - do the other "gay hotels" in Pattaya have one, only Sansuk.

One should put the facilities in context with the price paid. You could stay in The Royal Cliff Minisuite with NO seaview for 4500 Baht for the moment. There is no wifi and at that price, they don't even include breakfast and would charge extra if you brought a boy back to your room.

What prices are Ambiance, Tui's, Cafe loyal, Tarntawan & Sansuk charging for a stay in a "gay owned Hotel"?

Beachlover
July 2nd, 2009, 08:40
I agree... the website looks lovely but is completely useless offering information helpful to guests. Whoever built it should be shot for costing the business money.

You can't see the difference between the 3 room types (why pay for the better room?)... The phone number isn't even Skypable (it's an image so you have to type it into the dialer by hand)... so in the end, why bother?

There's no information on any show or spa services... haven't bothered to put a map up... after spending millions of baht redeveloping the place, and even posting numerous announcements on forums like this.

CoffeeBreak
July 2nd, 2009, 10:28
Congrats to TrongpaiExpat as his review will surely convince many people not to consider booking at this Venue. The price in fact is higher than at many better places at more convenient locations.
From the review it sounds like the people running the Venue are fairly clueless .
With the new zonal restrictions the area will become even more of a ghost town.

lonelywombat
July 2nd, 2009, 12:44
I think the comparison with poseiden is a little out of date Friend of mine tried to book into Poseiden for mid july and got this reply last week

In your requested period we have one studio left vacant.
We can offer you a special rate 2300,- Baht per night

Last time I stayed there the one bedroom suite was less than that

Interesting in the downturn Poseiden is almost full. Wonder how many other hotels in LOS are in a similar position.

TrongpaiExpat
July 2nd, 2009, 13:38
It seems many of you are over reacting to my negative comments and not noticing that I say for me The Venue quite nice but is not my style. I bet soon there will be many that really like the place and will be loyal return guests. The Venue is new and so now there's not a loyal following yet. In a year or so anyone posting something negative about the Venue will get attacked and accused of all sorts of nefarious motives and ill will.

I guess some of my review language was a reaction to the obnoxious promotions posted by LMTU before the hotel was open. I bet he has never a guest there?

I only used the Poseidon as a comparative because it's just down the street and it's about the same price. I have stayed there many times and I like it. Comparisons with hotels in Bangkok and other locations in Pattaya would not be very valid. Also, I live in Bangkok and have not stayed in a hotel there in 5 years so I would not really be very current on any comments or comparisons.

The biggest problem I had was the bed but others might think it's like sleeping on a cloud. I suggest the owners of the Venue walk over to Two Faces and take a look and bounce up and down on their beds a few times. As I said, just a little foam rubber on a quilt pad would fix the beds. Two Faces is 850 a night by the way.

I don't know if I would go so far to call the owners clueless. I do wonder if there's a client base for a modern style hotel in this price range and location. From my armchair I see the typical Pattaya gay tourist coming to Pattaya for the beach, boys (cheaper than BKK), buffets and booze not a snazzy chrome and black tiled room. Time will tell.

So, please don't be put off my review. Try the Venue and you might like it. Your not really going to know what the place is like from the web page or someone's subjective opinions and by all means ignore anything LMTU has to say.

Speaking of TROLL posters, BBB (Bad Boy Billy) is out and loose in the Jomtiem area but he's not staying at the Venue. He might be staying in a cardboard box in that vacant lot behind the Venue by the looks of him.

catawampuscat
July 17th, 2009, 07:59
Trongpai is correct to mention that the over-hyping of gay owned/oriented
businesses is a big mistake and I seem to recall some other over-hyping in years
past and many of us learned to take the rave reviews as just a lot of hot air and
not worth the bandwidth..
Far better to be pleasantly surprised with
how nice and comfortable a place is than to expect a 5 star hotel and be sadly
disappointed. If a swimming pool is important, this one sounds like a dud..
Great to hear Poseidon is doing well..

I recall a new massage place to be run by Russians with some Russian boys working was talked about last year and either in or near the new Venue.. I 'll guess that it
is still on the drawing board or awaiting a better economic market. :cat:

July 17th, 2009, 15:58
There's a sofa with a high back that's positioned at the foot of the bed. You can't see the TV from the bed. There's a nice glass table but too small for the coffee/tea set up and a lap top. Overall there's not a lot of shelf/table space and I ended up with stuff on the floor. I know it all part of the modern design but that's one of the reasons I don't like this design. The TV is nice but the stand is too low. The lighting system is the only design feature that is near perfect. AC works well, good adjustment/thermostat but an in room fan would be a nice extra. There's only one chair in the room and it's the same modern design chairs in the bar, with this funny wrap around chrome tubing for upper back support with a firm seat, not comfortable.

You mean, like this?

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg37/macaroni21_2008/sawatdee-gay-thai/thevenuejomtien_908.jpg

There's no writing desk? I see a smallish table at the right of the photo; that MIGHT be a desk, but it's small and there's no chair to suit. To me, it's important I have space to write. So no chance of a booking from me if there isn't. I dislike having a laptop on a coffee table, bad for my back. Oh but, there's no wi-fi signal either....

I looked at the website too, and as other posters have said, it doesn't quite have the necessary information such as the differences between room types and a map. Very stylish, but short on substance.

The Venue Standard Room: Low Season - Baht 1290 High Season - Baht 1690. The Poseidon called their lowest category a Superior Room Low Season - Baht 1,360 High Season- Baht 1600.

The website says differently. In fact there is an inconsistency in it. Under "residence" it says there are four different room categories, without naming them. Under "rates" it has three categories: Superior, Deluxe and Junior Suite.

The website today says:

Superior Room
Low Season - Baht 1490 High Season - Baht 1790
Deluxe Room
Low Season - Baht 1690 High Season - Baht 1990
Junior Suites
Low Season - Baht 1990 High Season - Baht 2390

I assume there is a Standard, but why no price? Or is Standard permanently under "999 baht promotion"?

Price clarity is important for trust between business and customer. It's a rule in business that the more complex and hidden pricing is, the less customers are willing to place trust in doing business with you.

TrongpaiExpat
July 17th, 2009, 21:35
Hi Mack: Where I had to put my lap top was on that small glass table on a pedestal with the flower pot, to the left of the TV. There was no flower pot there, it was being used as a coffee/tea set. I had to put that on the floor and a laptop just about fit. There was one of the chairs that are used in the show bar in the room. I could not use the coffee table, no power outlet at the foot of the bed.

The table with the phone, left of the TV, was not more than 6 inches wide, not suitable for a work surface. There's a lot of wasted space over by the window, maybe they can arrange something there for a work surface. Then again it all goes with this modern design, love it or hate it.

Hi Bottoms Up, wasn't it Cockalicky that broke the exclusive scoop that the Bondi was going to be the new Venue and not LMTU? LMTU was longed banned, not "retired" and then ol' Cockass gets the axe giving birth to Bottoms Up? It must be difficult to keep track of all your names how many have you had? I would use your real name but that is a violation of the rules.

zinzone
July 17th, 2009, 21:44
"I don't mind spending baht for a quality room but this is Pattaya, Shitsville, The brothel by the sea not Phuket, Karab or some nice island. It's not on the beach and the view is that of an ugly street in the deteriorating complex. It's a hotel above a Pattaya show bar. The place just did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling. "

Yes agree, but remember it is worse, as the place is not even in Pattaya but in a remote and dreary outer district of Pattaya. So have to ask who in their right mind would want to pay the exorbitant prices they are asking for a room?

Seems that the place is less a "hotel" more a guest house or somewhere to get boarding rooms.

Hence: no fun at all.

TrongpaiExpat
July 17th, 2009, 22:39
There's another table for a lap top or desk space at the Poseidon. I like the Poseidon, I guess you have issues with the place or the owner? I think it's good value for the money. Go ahead and trash the Poseidon, I bet [i]there[i] booking will go up.

July 17th, 2009, 23:10
Something seriously wrong with this forum.

One of the members takes the trouble to review a hotel & the responses start off quite well, then it descends to the level where some of the responses are rude & pointless.

One idiot even complains because it's a review of a hotel in Pattaya.
Well the title clearly states the location, so if you are not interested, there's no need to read the thread, never mind post a reply.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post a review Trongpai.

jinks
July 17th, 2009, 23:32
z909 - sometimes it takes a little time to hit the delete button.

Done now. Just wait for Smiles to moan.

Khor tose
July 17th, 2009, 23:54
Thank you Jinks for restoring a very interesting topic by removing all the crap from it, and thank you Trongpai expat for the excellent review. Smiles and I will have to agree to disagree on this issue.

TrongpaiExpat
July 18th, 2009, 00:08
Thanks for the kind words Khor tose and for the record I did not ask for Bottoms Up posts to be deleted.

Brad the Impala
July 18th, 2009, 02:31
Thanks for the kind words Khor tose and for the record I did not ask for Bottoms Up posts to be deleted.

I expect that was just everyone else's request!

September 19th, 2010, 05:07
We have just enjoyed a fabulous holiday in Pattaya.
We stayed at THE VENUE in the jomtien complex and I feel I have to write this review after reading the reviews left previously on this forum.

First and foremost I would like to let any readers know we have been travelling to Thailand for the past 7 years visiting 3 times each year and have been to different areas of thailand so we are not novices on staying in gay hotels in this Country.

On our arrival at the hotel we were greeted very warmly by the manager of the hotel and were checked in very easily and shown to our rooms at our own pace .We commented straight away on seeing our rooms that the internet did not do the rooms justice they were excellent extremely comfortable and very clean.

Yes I agree the cosy chair was positioned at the end of the bed, but it was not heavy and quite easily was moved to the side so the T V could be viewed more easily .I understand that some people might find this difficult to do if they had disabilities or just did not realise it could be move.

The bathroom was excellent and fresh hand ,bath,and face towels were provided daily, as was a floor towel that could be placed on the floor infront of the shower door to collect any small splashes (genius idea).
Once unpacked and freshly showered and changed we went down to the bar to meet friends and the service was excellent we felt like the staff wanted to please us and were not just performing there duties.

The pool area was great yes the pool was small but was great to relax around and when weather permitting was great for cooling off, the area was very private and peaceful and great in the afternoons when you could watch the entertainers (for the nightly show) rehearsing and enjoy the banter between the staff. I have stayed at other gay hotels in pattaya were there is no pool and it was great to have this facility.

On meeting Ray and Daryl the owners of the hotel we were made to feel like friends not paying guests and they made it clear if we wanted any assistance during our stay we had only to ask but they were not in our face telling us the do's and dont's of Gay life in Pattaya .

There is no food cooked at the hotel but it was explained to us that we could order from the available menus and food could be brought into the hotel .the owners recommend places to eat ,one of them being the posiedon (for breakfast), where we have previously stayed. We went once for brunch and that was enough.(but that's another story)

The entertainment in the hotel was excellent (not your usual lip singing ,lady boy show) during our stay the show was different every night and was great and varied. You were not made to feel like you were at the theatre and had to sit quietly and watch the show and applaud on command. But we all found ourselves watching the show and found it great fun and very entertaining.

When we did retire to our rooms to get some sleep we found the beds very comfortable and had a great nights sleep with no outside noise disturbing us.

I would definitely recommend the Venue to anyone visiting Pattaya. Great place to stay what ever age you are but we think the younger crowd would appreciate this modern hotel.

If anyone reading this knows the owners they will know what great guys they are and how well they treat the staff and that as to be complimented on.

All I can say is keep up the good work guys and we hope to see you all soon.

September 20th, 2010, 01:18
Great review, thanks Ray & Darrell, W*****s!