PDA

View Full Version : Getting older ...

Smiles
July 1st, 2009, 22:45
Has anyone on this Board had experience(s) with a total shoulder replacement operation due to serious osteoarthritis?
I was discussing this with my doctor yesterday because of a recent rather nasty and painful flareup of the arthritis in my right shoulder which I've had for about 10 years now. He explained the procedure and offered to make a referral to an orthopaedic surgeon here in town.

Arthritis is an affliction which many folks have, and many of those ~ like myself ~ 'just put up with it', or at the` most, pop an ibuprofen when it gets painful.
But this bout the other day (brought on by some heavy lifting which I shouldn't have been doing) drove me into the hospital in the early morning hours, and the ensuing x-rays showed the arthritis has gotten much worse over the years (i.e. my shoulder joint is now bone-on-bone).

Anyone out there got an experience to tell about this? (And please, don't bother telling me I should just pull that trigger :blackeye: )

jinks
July 2nd, 2009, 00:58
In view of the above, "I've got a problem post" tell it like it is.....

My new problem... check-in cabin luggage 55cm x whatever x whatever... the 55 is the important bit.....

To shower, I have to change legs, I have an excellent prosthetic to walk on and another totally waterproof to swim and shower with.
Both are 57cm too big for check-in cabin luggage.
No I can't travel wearing the shower leg !

I have asked Emirates for dispensation "medical equipment" and am awaiting a reply.

Has anyone out there any experience with checking in oversize Cabin baggage?

Brad the Impala
July 2nd, 2009, 01:45
Hi Smiles,

My knee is also bone on bone, but I just keep trucking thanks to Cortaflex. This was first recommended by a cousin who is a vet after seeing the improvement that it brought about in their arthritic labrador!

Cheers

URL Text (http://www.natural-joint-health.co.uk/)

EDITED TO MAKE LINK ACCESSIBLE

July 2nd, 2009, 03:03
Jinks, before you go to a lot of trouble try checking to see if it will fit in the required dimensions daigonally - just a thought.

Smiles, be careful with ibuprofen, as it can have side effects. If interested I can give you my own experience with arthritis, etc, by PM.

Brad, are you sure that is not your skull you are talking about? Cortaflex is basically just glucosamine and chondroitin under a different name - try this company (http://www.simplysupplements.co.uk); I have no financial interest, but that is where I get mine from, at around a twentieth of the price I was paying here (in Thailand) - probably less, now.

Brad the Impala
July 2nd, 2009, 16:13
GF, the difference is in the effective delivery to the joints, but don't take my word for it......................

jinks
July 2nd, 2009, 23:06
Solved...if only it were this simple for my friend Smiles.

Take limb to the factory and they will cut off the extra bit without effecting the fit or performance.

July 3rd, 2009, 14:02
I know an elderly farang in Bangkok who has a prosthetic hairpiece on his head. Despite this disability he still manages a full and active life around the bars and regularly scores with the boys. PM me if you want his phone number.

Smiles, don't let old age and the ravages of time get you down - do something about it; get professional advice and you too could be back to normal in no time.

Bob
July 3rd, 2009, 22:42
Smiles,........ you too could be back to normal ......

Although Khun Smiles may get his shoulder fixed, I've got a better chance of winning the lottery than he has of being normal...... :clown:

July 3rd, 2009, 23:20
GF, the difference is in the effective delivery to the joints, but don't take my word for it......................

Why would I be interested in the word of an out and out LIAR (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/how-not-to-behave-in-a-thai-bar-t17939-45.html#p182057), Brad?

Brad the Impala
July 4th, 2009, 01:31
[quote="Brad the Impala":1f07ezh3]GF, the difference is in the effective delivery to the joints, but don't take my word for it......................

Why would I be interested in the word of an out and out LIAR (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/how-not-to-behave-in-a-thai-bar-t17939-45.html#p182057), Brad?[/quote:1f07ezh3]

Aah! Regressed again to your abusive stalker mode, I see. This thread isn't about either of us per se, so perhaps you could restrict yourself to pursuing me round the mulberry bush on threads more relevant to your current angst.

lonelywombat
July 4th, 2009, 15:12
quote gonefishing

Cortaflex is basically just glucosamine and chondroitin under a different name - try this company; I have no financial interest, but that is where I get mine from, at around a twentieth of the price I was paying here (in Thailand) - probably less, now.
end quote

I was about to post I have been using the combination of the two and am aware a few weeks later if I have forgotten to renew my supply. It is interesting the amount od scorn given by some professionals about this product claiming there is no evidence it helps or works. I have bone on bone from my running days and this is the only non prescription product, I have tried that gives me relief.

One of the """"" professionals""""" who put shit on the G+C wanted to put me on anti inflammatories. For those who are tending towards arthritic problems , G&C is slow to react but it does give a great relief. I swear by it.

July 5th, 2009, 22:06
Cortaflex is basically just glucosamine and chondroitin under a different name - try this company; I have no financial interest, but that is where I get mine from, at around a twentieth of the price I was paying here (in Thailand) - probably less, now.

I was about to post I have been using the combination of the two and am aware a few weeks later if I have forgotten to renew my supply. It is interesting the amount od scorn given by some professionals about this product claiming there is no evidence it helps or works. I have bone on bone from my running days and this is the only non prescription product, I have tried that gives me relief.

One of the """"" professionals""""" who put shit on the G+C wanted to put me on anti inflammatories. For those who are tending towards arthritic problems , G&C is slow to react but it does give a great relief. I swear by it.

For once, LW, I agree with you 100%. I was not knocking "G+C", anything but - if I were I would not be taking 1500mg of G and 500mg of C a day and pointing out the best supply I have found. The theory behind Cortaflex is that it is an extract of the key elements of G+C and is more readily absorbed; my problem with it (apart from the cost!) is that it was designed for horses, then used for dogs, but it has never been independently tested for people - and I do not want to be the unwitting guinea-pig it is tested on!

I would no more take any medication under those circumstances than I would give an animal human medicine without first checking it out thoroughly - although most people know, for example, that chocolate is poisonous to a number of animals, including dogs, many do not realize that paracetamol is fatal to cats in the smallest doses, and can be fatal for dogs too.

Anyone who is still taking brufen for arthritis is over twenty years out of date - brufen can prevent a hangover, but that is about all! There are far better, safer and more effective pain-killers/ anti-inflammatories around now, as well as drugs such as Artrodar. Previous "tussles" aside, LW, if you are interested in my own experience (over 20 years of treatment, including by some of the """"" professionals"""""!) then let me know.