PDA

View Full Version : Would I enjoy staying at Sansuk guesthouse?

June 27th, 2009, 21:12
Hi guys, I have been away for a long time and haven't been to Thailand in three years. I'm sorry if this topic has already been addressed elsewhere, but I would appreciate your advice and comments.

I want to visit Pattaya again this January. Do you recommend that I stay at Sansuk guesthouse. I enjoy going to the beach during the day and also enjoy walking around Pattaya and Sunee, shopping and people watching. I also enjoy going to the go go's at night. I am 55 and in reasonably good shape.

With that in mind, is it pretty easy to get to both the beach and to Sunee from Sansuk. Is it much of a walk to catch the baht bus and do the busses run pretty regularaly?

I think I would really like to use the pool and other facilities at Sansuk. Do a lot of thai boys hang out there and are they friendly, affectionate and accesable?

I apologize for all of the questions but would really appreciate your help and advise. Knowing a little about what I like to do, is there someplace else that you would recommend?

Thanks.

francois
June 27th, 2009, 23:28
With that in mind, is it pretty easy to get to both the beach and to Sunee from Sansuk. Is it much of a walk to catch the baht bus and do the busses run pretty regularaly?
Thanks.

Yes, very easy to go from Sansuk to beach or Sunee.
Yes, very easy walk to catch the baht bus. Yes, the baht buses run regularly, maybe endlessly, and alway a motorbike taxi if you want.

June 28th, 2009, 00:11
I have stayed there and would recommend it.

The baht bus stops on the main road and you just walk down a lane - or later in the day a little shuttle bus operates which ferries punters up and down the lane.

Punya, the owner (no doubt some smart arse will correct me) is very friendly and makes sure that everything is above board.

I'm not a sauna person myself but I have sat by the pool and in the little eating/drinking area and can confirm that there are many attractive thais using the sauna facilities. No attractive falangs of course, just assorted beached whales, but what can you expect!!

Go there - you'll like it

:compress:

June 28th, 2009, 01:08
just assorted beached whales, but what can you expect!!

lol. I'm planning to check it out when I go. Staying at Babylon for a week, so I'll be curious to compare the two.

June 28th, 2009, 04:37
just assorted beached whales, but what can you expect!!

lol. I'm planning to check it out when I go. Staying at Babylon for a week, so I'll be curious to compare the two.

I stayed in Sansuk for about a week back in April.

There's a 7-11 and a laundry on the main road right beside Soi 11 where you walk down to Sansuk. Baht buses pass by frequently during the day and never really waited very long at night in either direction. The walk down the soi felt pretty safe at all hours. Along Soi 11 there are security guards who appear sometime after 6pm outside this mysterious Arabic looking complex. It's about a five minute walk down hill from the main road to Sansuk and in the late afternoon Sansuk has a Tuk Tuk waiting on the road to take guests down.

The rooms in the guesthouse are spacious, clean, comfortable and all the furniture is manufactured from wood giving the room a rustic touch. The bathroom is a fair size; no bathtub just a stand up shower. Amenities like air conditioning, electronic safe, TV, DVD, hot water for drinking and a mini bar where are all there. The beds are king size and very firm. I slept fine but others might have problems sleeping. There is supposed to be WIFI on every floor but I was only every able to access it from the lobby.

From the website photo's the place looks big but when I saw it first hand it was smaller than what I had imagined. There are three floors, six rooms on the top two floors, maybe three on the ground floor. I was offered a room at 1500 baht a night (low season rate, 2000baht high season) which included tax and sauna entry. Restaurant opens at 8am for breakfast I believe. I used the laundry up on the road because when I used the guesthouse laundry my clothes came back with an odd, unpleasant odour.

There were a few anomalies that I noticed when staying there. I placed a guesthouse towel in my bag to take to the beach. When I came back from Pattaya to collect my beach things, the towel had been removed from my bag. I was not pleased. The bag had been put away in the wardrobe which means someone had opened it and went into my bag. Staff are very friendly, I went down stairs and was given another one after I explained what happened.

The restaurant serves pretty good food and the staff are all very friendly and helpful, except for one, who made a point of being a total cow once he realized I wasn't going to respond to his repetitive, aggressive and inappropriate advances. To say his service as an employee was lacking would be an understatement. He went out of his way to make it known he was not pleased. I made sure I placed my order with the other staff and approached them with a tip directly to show him I was not impressed with his behavior. Despite his behavior, I never mentioned this to Punya and will return because overall I enjoyed my time there.

The sauna opened at 3pm and closed between 10 or 11pm when I was there, depending on how busy it was. I tend to like guys that are more masculine and built. I was surprised that there were all types there from slim feminine guys to medium size guys with nice builds. Some guys lounge by the pool, some sit inside and watch TV, many others wander off into the spaces on the second and third floors. I was surprised at how easy it was to meet someone there. A smile across the pool is all it took for me to meet a hunk.

The pool isn't huge but it's handy to take a dip and cool down when it gets too hot.

Punya, the owner, was there every evening around dinner and makes point of coming over to say hello to all his guests. He's also cute and charming.

I will definitely stay there again.

Babylon. I'll never go to a go go bar again and only wished I had tried it out earlier in the trip.

I'm not a bathhouse kind of guy, in fact I went a handful of times when I was in my early twenties, last time being 1992.

Compared to the bathhouses I've been to in Canada, Babylon blows them all out of the water. The place feels like a 5 star hotel. There are so many places to explore and cruise. Many attractive guys wandering around and when I was there even though it was apparently a slow night. It's very clean and well maintained.

Entry was under 300 baht, which gets you two towels, two condoms and a packet of lube. You're assigned a locker with an key on an elastic wrist/ankle band.

If you eat at the restaurant, your order is charged to your key number and you settle your bill when you leave. I had a great time both nights and will definitely return, if I'm ever single again.

Again there were all types of guys there. The ones I hooked up with were friendly, fun and willing. :shaking2:

mahjongguy
June 28th, 2009, 06:39
"beds are king size and very firm."

Oh my. Firm like steel. The floor was softer.

The only sour note. Otherwise the place is nearly ideal.

Beachlover
June 28th, 2009, 08:21
Sounds like this place is a little bit in the middle of no where though... as in you need to travel a bit just to get anywhere other than the restaurant/pool at the hotel.

June 28th, 2009, 15:20
Sounds like this place is a little bit in the middle of no where though... as in you need to travel a bit just to get anywhere other than the restaurant/pool at the hotel.

But the people staying there are just using it as a base, like any hotel - and the people using the Sauna are there to use the sauna, not to go shopping for a new frock.

Baht buses run past the top of the lane/soi every 2 minutes and take 5 mins to get to Sunee or Boystown - so how is it in the middle of nowhere?

:compress:

jolyjacktar
June 28th, 2009, 19:53
When im out in Patts on holidays i do prefer to stay at Ambience or Cafe Royal as a pool dont interest me and sauna does nothing for me at all. All the staff at the boyztown hotels are very good and make you feel at home all the time, never had a problem in either of the places.Also i tend to use Pattaya beach to sit and read durring the daytime so the Ambience or Cafe are only 3 minutes walk to where i sit, no need to wait for bhat buses al all. Still everyone has different prioritys for holidays and a lot of people like Jomtien beach and pools and sauna so if you do then i would say Punya's place would be a swell place to stay

Beachlover
June 28th, 2009, 20:09
Yeah true... not in the middle of no where, just a little further out.

I kind of like my hotels to be right in the middle of it all. Convenience is king. But that's just a personal preference.

June 28th, 2009, 21:35
Can't resist. You said you were coming THIS January. That was six months ago. Did you enjoy your stay?

June 28th, 2009, 22:14
Thanks for all of your comments and reviews. Much appreciated.
I went ahead and made reservations at the Sansuk Guesthouse and am excited about returning to Pattaya soon.
Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the input.

June 28th, 2009, 22:30
Can't resist. You said you were coming THIS January. That was six months ago. Did you enjoy your stay?

What kind of idiot are you?

June 28th, 2009, 23:30
Not being a native English speaker I take: January 2009 as Past January and (This) January as coming 2010, but then I am putting words in the original poster's mouth?

June 29th, 2009, 07:17
No, Sanyo. You are correct.

thrillbill
June 29th, 2009, 08:08
Since I live in the Pattaya area, I have never stayed at Sansuk, but have seen the rooms at the guest house...new and tastefully done. The only problem I would have staying at Sansuk would be if I was staying out late (beyond 11pm) and returning to the place since one has to walk down a dark soi to get to the place. I have walked down /up it many times when it was around 8 or 9pm but I just don't feel secure walking around by myself when it is late...so my suggestion would to be ready to hire a private "taxi" (baht bus) to return to the guest house late. True, there is a rickshaw motorbike shuttle, but that is as reliable as the "stable" Thailand government.

kodiak
June 30th, 2009, 06:32
Sansuk is very nice and very enjoyable..........I would just that i noticed a slew of mosquitos both at Sansuk at evening time...and also walking to and from the main road.........this was a big turn off for me......and i did not encounter any mosquitos when i stayed more in the city area.........

Maybe it was just the season i was there not sure...........

Has anyone else encountered this..??

However this wouldnt keep me from visiting......but not sure i would want to be attacked every night of my stay with these mosquitos..??

quiet1
June 30th, 2009, 11:32
... i noticed a slew of mosquitos both at Sansuk at evening time...and also walking to and from the main road.........this was a big turn off for me......and i did not encounter any mosquitos when i stayed more in the city area.........
I've heard "mosquito" used as a euphemism for skinny femme boys. I'm pretty sure you meant the insect, no?