PDA

View Full Version : Bali

April 6th, 2006, 05:00
I am going to Bali for a few days and would be interested to know what the appropriate tip would be both for short time and overnight?

April 13th, 2006, 04:32
Bali is probably the most beautiful and fascinating place I have ever visited (except the Kuta/Legian/Seminyak area, which is just the usual "tourist-hassle-and-bassle"), but dont expect much of a "sex-business-thing" as it's common in Phattaya. Bali is wonderful if you go there with ur BF or any other nice Boy u bring to there..... otherwise u may be disappointed.... if you want travel-informations about the REAL Bali, which is certainly NOT the Kuta/Legian area, u can private me (same goes for any other destination in Indonesia).
selamat jalan !

April 13th, 2006, 05:59
Check your Inbox for my message

April 13th, 2006, 09:42
go there with ur BF or any other nice Boy u bring to there..... otherwise u may be disappointed....

Not necessarily true -- the "short time" thing can be found on Ganesha beach (near la Luciola) all day, and any western man with a smile and a pulse would have no problem pulling at Q-Bar or Hulu Cafe (all of which are in the Legian/Seminyak area that you dread so much...). My favourite was the terrace outside Q-Bar, as you get all of the flirting and ogling without the loud noise.

I will agree, Wolfie, that Kuta/Legian/Seminyak is not the real Bali of exquisite rice terraces, crumbling temples and magnifcent smiles, but night life and entertainment are part of a holiday as well.

Xpat: If you would like villa and restaurant recommendations that *are* close to Seminyak (or in the quiet, magical town of Cangu just beyond), send me a private message and I would be happy to share them (I don't want to post some to a public forum, as they are quite precious).

April 14th, 2006, 08:05
I can recommend this site as a good resource
www.balifriendlyhotels.com (http://www.balifriendlyhotels.com)

April 13th, 2011, 14:24
Private Bali Villa

Bali is one of the best place in the world to stay... You just go there and have fun .. its the perfect place for enjoying holidays... Thanks for the post

April 15th, 2011, 02:28
Private Bali Villa

Bali is one of the best place in the world to stay... You just go there and have fun .. its the perfect place for enjoying holidays... Thanks for the post

SO,

How much.....................................is it? ............ :laughing3: Let's know the real deal... :laughing3:

Let's have the answer to ST and LT....................I hear its cheaper than Pattaya but most of them are trying to pose and get off with the Aussie women on holiday??............ :love4:

Forget a long lecture about rice paddies and temples, I am not interested. I am intersted in the goings on of Seminyak..... :laughing3: :laughing3:

April 15th, 2011, 14:52
Bali Villa Rentals

Bali is the perfect place for enjoying vacation.... i am planning to go there in my next vacation...
Thanks...

{spam link to site removed, it's quicker than deleting the poster - jinks}

Beachlover
April 18th, 2011, 17:32
{spam link to site removed, it's quicker than deleting the poster - jinks}
Jinks, you are sooooooo lazy LOL.

danny99
June 9th, 2011, 12:25
go there with ur BF or any other nice Boy u bring to there..... otherwise u may be disappointed....

Not necessarily true -- the "short time" thing can be found on Ganesha beach (near la Luciola) all day, and any western man with a smile and a pulse would have no problem pulling at Q-Bar or Hulu Cafe (all of which are in the Legian/Seminyak area that you dread so much...). My favourite was the terrace outside Q-Bar, as you get all of the flirting and ogling without the loud noise.

All VERY out of date info as Hulu was burnt down 5 years ago [show is now done at a place called the beachhouse or something similar 100 metres further along that road]and Q Bar ceased to exist 3 years ago and has long been demolished to make an entrance to a new villa complex. However there are 5-6 gay bars in the immediate area, still referred to as Jln. Dhyana Pura even though name long changed. Many boys available almost all from Java [Surabaya mostly] or other islands, Clean cut Muslims [mostly] or uncut Christians, but rarely a Balinese Hindu boy, as they are only met in local village circumstances if you want the real classy ones [big smile and big banana, as they say].....if you have the time for long chat up then pick the cutest waiter in the restaurants of Ubud and take them out on their day of ...they will even take you home to meet the parents [and girlfriend, maybe even wife] after you have had a few drinks and played games in your hotel room.

August 7th, 2011, 18:56
Just to say anyone thinking / wondering about Bali - I'm just back after a first trip there and on reading some of the previous comments on here I was slightly nervous as to what I would find - well bottom line is I LOVED it, travelled there alone, stayed at the Spartacus Gay hotel ( which I would recommend) and met many MANY lovely guys ( both money and otherwise ) and had some ( many ) great times with them all, plus Bali as a place was nice and chilled as well - my only complaint - the traffic on the main roads was mental I rented a motor bike and a car) for such a small chilled out island, but apart from that I really liked it and will definitely consider going back again at some point in the future - hope this helps.

chillnorth
August 9th, 2011, 08:28
I'm booked for a return to Bali in a couple of weeks, notwithstanding the high season. Haven't found a shortage of free or not-so-free company, either, and really enjoy the place. Spartacus is more my style for a drink than a stay, but definitely seems to serve the clientele well.

I read somewhere else that the gay beach, well, lawn, has closed. True? And if so any recommendations for daytime hanging out?

(Without intending to cross-post, I'm going to inquire in a separate post about a few days in Siem Reap. I know I'll be back in Bali in a couple of months and am on the fence as to whether or not a quick switch to the former might be a better choice now.)

August 9th, 2011, 16:19
When I was there ( two weeks ago ) the gay beach was fully open and I was told it was to close in September to make way for a hotel, but everyone hoped that "something" would open up somewhere else fairly quickly ( as where else would the moneyboys meet their marks during the day ha ha) - and as to whether Bali or Siem Reap - ABSOLUTELY no competetion Bali everytime ( IMHO) I was glad to get out of Siem Reap after a day or two, the beggars, the kids chasing you up the street, the (very few) small bars just fully of ( not great) money boys.......or Bali, full of genuinely nice, hot, friendly, guys, nice weather, nice scenery, great bars ( albetit just a few gay ones) and all with something on every night - or maybe I just had a great time there and am blinked......but I really dont think so, to me there was no competition between the two at all, mind you I "did" have a GREAT time in bali with lots of hot guys so maybe i AM blinkered he he. Hope you enjoy your trip wherever you decide.

chillnorth
August 13th, 2011, 09:29
Thanks for the update, NIrish. Common sense got the better of me so I'm hanging on to my plane ticket to Bali and waiting a few weeks for the off-peak lodging rates. The beach might not be there, but something tells me the lads won't be far, and the nice thing is I know I know I can have a good time no matter the weather.

Still may make the trip to Cambodia before the end of the year, but I find I'm in less and less of a hurry as I settle into the rains and relative lack of crowds up here in Chiang Mai. In many ways this is my favorite season, though it might not be if I was trying to make a living running a pub or hotel.

August 13th, 2011, 09:51
When I was there ( two weeks ago ) the gay beach was fully open and I was told it was to close in September to make way for a hotel, but everyone hoped that "something" would open up somewhere else fairly quickly ( as where else would the moneyboys meet their marks during the day ha ha) - and as to whether Bali or Siem Reap - ABSOLUTELY no competetion Bali everytime ( IMHO) I was glad to get out of Siem Reap after a day or two, the beggars, the kids chasing you up the street, the (very few) small bars just fully of ( not great) money boys.......or Bali, full of genuinely nice, hot, friendly, guys, nice weather, nice scenery, great bars ( albetit just a few gay ones) and all with something on every night - or maybe I just had a great time there and am blinked......but I really dont think so, to me there was no competition between the two at all, mind you I "did" have a GREAT time in bali with lots of hot guys so maybe i AM blinkered he he. Hope you enjoy your trip wherever you decide.

chillnorth,

I think Nirish guy is pretty spot on with this, and I am contemplating moving there!!.... Have you tried PDR Lao? The guys are close relatives of Thais as you probably well know, with an accommodating nature such as the Thais. You will definitely get a better response than in Cambodia even for waiters in bars, clubs, restaurants. I could well be going to Bali quite soon with Tam, my partner.

I found everything in Siem Reap as above in Nirish guys post. However, there are some.........., if its worth the chase to you,who will 'go' in Cambodia out of the friends ' line of sight ' I even think if I get a rented condo away from the hotel scene, it would be better for getting back visitors but that can bring its own problems security wise!!

The MBs in Siem Reap are only attractive after a couple of gallons of lager!.......... :laughing3: . Many of those working in the gay bars display an aloofness to let you know they are straight and not interested in anything but the tip for serving you.

This Country is the place, I have found after a few weeks, where they want to tell you all about their poverty, (in some cases),and expect you to dip into your wallet and give them without them doing anything, just because they have this strange habit of continually referring to us as ' brother ' or ' Papa '

I also think you must be careful how you read the signs, the fact that they are prepared to meet you in for example , ' The Blue Chilli bar ' in Phnom Penn, an openly gay bar does not mean they want anything more than you to pay all night for food and drink, nor is it a sign of their willingness to do anything more than to shake your hand at the end of the night. They are definitely different to the Cambodians I met in Pattaya.

We are also back to the old days of Thailand, where they accompany you and order the dearest food and drink on the menu just because they haven't tried it before and you're paying the bill!

If it's great sightseeing, great cafe bars, a cool town to be in, friendly inexpensive and plenty to see, It's Siem Reap. Sex and the other fun stuff, I would go to Bali or PDR Lao, although here in Lao it can be so laid back, it's sleepy/dreary and you have to adapt.

We are definitely back to the days of coming back to the hotel to find both security and night reception with their heads down fast asleep.

chillnorth
August 14th, 2011, 18:54
Your comments are greatly appreciated, Kevin. To tell the truth, first your P.D.R Lao and then enthusiastic send up of Siem Reap started me thinking a bit away from my usual haunts. Haven't considered Vientiane or Luang Prabang very much before because every time I mention it I get a "bad look" from my very long term and broad-minded Thai partner, whose concept of a getaway runs more to Singapore or Switzerland. As far as traveling together goes, Cambodia would be a complete non-starter for him, though another Thai gay friend expressed real interest in it and would be acceptable to my significant other as a travel (only) companion.

As a couple, we could find middle ground on Bali, probably, but that might interfere with my own plans and risk days of him complaining about getting dark and finding nothing to eat. When I recounted your post today and asked his recommendation for my short holiday, he lovingly suggested the Botox clinic down the way.

Btw, I completely get your friend's reference to South Korean men. In my unscientific sampling a majority of gay Thai men I've met have maintained an open lust for Korean men. The secret appears to be, of all things, their noses. :dontknow:

Brisboy82
August 15th, 2011, 03:35
Your comments are greatly appreciated, Kevin. To tell the truth, first your P.D.R Lao and then enthusiastic send up of Siem Reap started me thinking a bit away from my usual haunts. Haven't considered Vientiane or Luang Prabang very much before because every time I mention it I get a "bad look" from my very long term and broad-minded Thai partner, whose concept of a getaway runs more to Singapore or Switzerland. As far as traveling together goes, Cambodia would be a complete non-starter for him, though another Thai gay friend expressed real interest in it and would be acceptable to my significant other as a travel (only) companion.

As a couple, we could find middle ground on Bali, probably, but that might interfere with my own plans and risk days of him complaining about getting dark and finding nothing to eat. When I recounted your post today and asked his recommendation for my short holiday, he lovingly suggested the Botox clinic down the way.

Btw, I completely get your friend's reference to South Korean men. In my unscientific sampling a majority of gay Thai men I've met have maintained an open lust for Korean men. The secret appears to be, of all things, their noses. :dontknow:
Switzerland?? You must have given him sone enormous expectations! My Thai bfs ask to go to maybe Phuket or ko samet if anywhere and that's about all they expect and they are happy with that.

August 15th, 2011, 07:06

Switzerland?? You must have given him sone enormous expectations! My Thai bfs ask to go to maybe Phuket or ko samet if anywhere and that's about all they expect and they are happy with that.

And if the truth be known, the Thais would prefer to holiday in Phuket or Koh Samet as a rule. They want adventure but not at the loss of their sticky rice and som tam!..... :laughing3:

chillnorth
August 15th, 2011, 11:03
LOL. Yes, Switzerland. He enjoys Europe more than I do. I don't have to provide expectations (or cash) for his adventures. I suppose I could have mentioned he has his own successful (and legitimate) business, is well educated, and does in fact prefer Phuket (I've never been) to Chiang Mai, but I was afraid it would sound egregious and get me kicked off of this board.

August 15th, 2011, 13:03
LOL. Yes, Switzerland. He enjoys Europe more than I do. I don't have to provide expectations (or cash) for his adventures. I suppose I could have mentioned he has his own successful (and legitimate) business, is well educated, and does in fact prefer Phuket (I've never been) to Chiang Mai, but I was afraid it would sound egregious and get me kicked off of this board.

I always loved Chiang Mai moreso than Phuket, but it depends on the type of break you want, laid back or Beach, sea and Sun.

danny99
August 20th, 2011, 10:53
I am going to Bali for a few days and would be interested to know what the appropriate tip would be both for short time and overnight?

for short time and overnight?

Bali is NOT Thailand, infact nowhere else is Thailand. There are no Go-Go Bars, only a few places have 'sex on demand' check the 'Gay Friendly' listings in http://www.balispaguide.com and read between the lines! MSpa is the no. 1, in Jln. Laksmana, Kerobokan, but there are many lower level ones hidden behind shops and warungs with very local straight boys.

Business Boys [rarely local Balinese but from other islands; Java, Lombok. etc.] can be found in the gay bars of Jln. Dhyana Pura, what you pay depends on how much you fancy them, whereas as a local there are many other areas for consenusal sex when money does not come into it [as I said it is NOT Thailand where almost any sex between local and farang requires some payment].

Don't you remember your home country where you had to work to pick up? The chase and intrigue often greatly increases the eventual reward [but not the black eyes!].

chillnorth
August 21st, 2011, 20:37
Good point, Danny. Bali has a lot of charms, and company is not difficult to find, but anyone expecting a scene comparable to Thailand in the sense of pick-em-if-you-want-em is going to be back here complaining within minutes.

Beachlover
September 1st, 2011, 21:45
I suppose I could have mentioned he has his own successful (and legitimate) business, is well educated, and does in fact prefer Phuket (I've never been) to Chiang Mai, but I was afraid it would sound egregious and get me kicked off of this board.
Not kicked off. It'll just get you kicked around. :rolling:

Haven't considered Vientiane or Luang Prabang very much before because every time I mention it I get a "bad look" from my very long term and broad-minded Thai partner, whose concept of a getaway runs more to Singapore or Switzerland. As far as traveling together goes, Cambodia would be a complete non-starter for him...
I noticed people who grow up in developed countries tend to be content visiting developing countries. But people who grow up in developing countries like Thailand tend to find wealthier developed countries more appealing. They see these places as a step up. The idea of visiting a shittier place like Cambodia makes no sense. They want to see nicer places like New York or London.

My parents (who immigrated from a developing country) thought I was absolutely nuts for wanting to go backpacking around third-world Asia... horrified when I wanted to visit Cambodia. Asked me why I wanted to visit such "messy" places. Different mindset.

I spent a few days living in this crappy village in the middle of stinking hot inland Borneo (truly in the middle of no where) with the cockroach infested squat toilets, bucket showers and ant-infested rooms a couple of years ago to get an idea of the kind of village my Dad grew up in (which was worse than the accommodation I experienced living with my relatives as a kid).

Hence, if you're going out with a Thai and want to take them on an overseas trip they'll really appreciate, take them somewhere wealthier and more glamorous than Thailand. Think Singapore, Hong Kong, Seoul or Japan for Asian destinations or Europe, Australia or America for someplace further. You're a wealthy Westerner, you've got the money, do it!