PDA

View Full Version : New Member Question

June 25th, 2009, 12:10
Hello,
I have been reading posts for some time and finally decided to post a question. I have noticed the term punter used and in the context I can assume it basically meand a "john." I was wondering if it was refering to any particular type of john. The term seems to make me think of a top as opposed to a bottom. Is it specific to tops only?

June 25th, 2009, 12:29
...I learned from watching "Are You Being Served".

You really need an Englishman to answer, but as an American (who watches PBS and BBC America) a "Punter" seems to mean a "customer".

pyro
June 25th, 2009, 12:36
Not sure about the answer to the question, but I always assumed it meant anyone spending money (or customer as mentioned by kenc).

Kenc, I also watch "Are You Being Served" and many of the other "Brit-coms" on PBS. Great TV IMHO, but I do not remember any references to punters. I will have to pay closer attention. Thanks for the info.

June 26th, 2009, 03:55
The term 'John' as used in England is used, especially by the police, to refer to the prostitute's customer

Wesley
June 26th, 2009, 04:17
Not sure about the answer to the question, but I always assumed it meant anyone spending money (or customer as mentioned by kenc).

Kenc, I also watch "Are You Being Served" and many of the other "Brit-coms" on PBS. Great TV IMHO, but I do not remember any references to punters. I will have to pay closer attention. Thanks for the info.
I am still watchching "Queer as Folk" on LOGOS Chanel... now that is real TV IMHO hehehe I stay up to 12 every night just tpo see the reruns. BBut other than the good lookign boys it helps me to know how to act Queer When I am n Public.

But to the qustion at hjand , I try not to watch BBC if I can avoid it I prefer FOX HUMMMMM bet that gets a rise of sort. But really only an Englishman van tell you in context what a punter is in regards to Thailand.

Wes

Wesley
June 26th, 2009, 04:19
Now this is the Ameriocan version I am sure.

The term 'John' as used in England is used, especially by the police, to refer to the prostitute's customer

krobbie
June 26th, 2009, 10:13
The word 'Punter' is more commonly associated with anyone who places bets on the outcome of a race or whatever. 'Punters' bet money and in doing so 'take a punt'.

In the UK customers of any business are considered to be 'Punters' i.e. they are the prospective customers so the word is more generalised than the American word 'John' which I have always heard used in reference to a client of the sex trade.

In my own business - Health club / fitness training we refer to the clients as punters, it is not considered a derogatory word as the word 'John' appears to be.

Same same New Zealand & Australia

June 26th, 2009, 13:24
Thanks for all the replys. This answers my question and some good information. Gonna have to try to catch some of those Brittish shows.

June 26th, 2009, 17:30
Thanks for all the replys. This answers my question and some good information. Gonna have to try to catch some of those Brittish shows.

British.